Am I being degrading towards little people?

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Am I being degrading towards little people?

I love Halloween. Smiling I get my acting fix from it, and because I have a great film quality Jason Voorhees mask and costume, people go picture crazy. Observe -

http://youtu.be/YclmHTU6ftY

Well, Halloween ideas lurk through my psyche all year, and I recently had this idea -

I was thinking of doing the "Planet of the Apes" thing. Film quality, no less, but I need a little person. For the unaware - In the "Planet of the Apes" films, the roles between Apes and humans are reversed. Highly intelligent humanoid Apes who talk rule the world, and human beings are kept as slaves, or used for research, or entertainment, or hunted and killed for sport.

Anyhow, I would dress up as a Gorilla with highly realistic-looking make-up, and I would play an organ grinder while the little person would be dressed as either a bellhop or a clown, and would dance for tips. The whole appeal of the performance on 6th street during Halloween night would be that the role between Ape and human would be reversed, with the Ape playing an organ grinder, and a human dancing. (A long time ago, it was common to see men out in the street playing an organ grinder while a monkey would dance for tips.)

The act, while intended as entertainment, would also be meant to serve as a message against animal cruelty. The "Planet of the Apes" films have always been satire films that spoof human behavior. This act would not be intended to demean little people at all. It is merely intended to reverse the role between Ape and human.

In our world, we have Apes and monkeys. Apes are kept in cages, but monkeys are used for entertainment. In a world where Apes rule, and humans are slaves, regular-sized people would be kept in cages, whereas little people would be used for entertainment for the Apes.

In this act, the little person could keep all the gratuities, and I would provide water bottles, money, and dinner.

Anyhow, I posted some of this on Craig's List. - It was flagged and removed twice. Then today, when speaking to little person talent agency on the phone today, the guy sounded offended, and even threw me a VERY outlandish price - Eleven hundred dollars for two hours. I could tell this was his passive way of saying not a chance in Hades. I of course played it cool, and acted like the price was a handful of change, with a promise I'd call him back. (Yeah, right.)

I've spoken to other various agencies without telling them everything, and in general, these folks demand several hundred dollars for just an hour or half an hour.

So my questions are -

1. Is the whole thing coming across as demeaning dwarfs?

2. Why is it so darn hard and pricy to find a midget?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
questions wrote:1. Is the

questions wrote:

1. Is the whole thing coming across as demeaning dwarfs? NO!

2. Why is it so darn hard and pricy to find a midget? Movies and reality tv + special interest groups. Something about prenatal tests being possible, as well... so supply dwindles over time?

Sorry, 5'8... apparently my genetics "tried to squeeze an inch or two on (everyone)". I have a pretty solid idea where "the best part of (me) ended up" at.

I have, however... been looking for a fine Chickenhawk Drill Instructor suit, and I wonder where I can find one without pissing off American Legion, VFW, et cetera.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:1. Is the whole

Zeeboe wrote:

1. Is the whole thing coming across as demeaning dwarfs?

I don't think so but people tend to get offended at everything.

Zeeboe wrote:

2. Why is it so darn hard and pricy to find a midget?

Supply and demand. There simply are not that many people that possess the attributes you are seeking so since you don't have a lot of options they jack up the price. I doubt that $1100 is a rare price. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
One agency told me it would

One agency told me it would be $375. And I never told them the details. Perhaps I should join a Little People dating site, and attempt to con one. *devil horns*