Is Abortion Ever Acceptable?

Larry Gott
Larry Gott's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is Abortion Ever Acceptable?

A YouTuber named Craig sent me a PM regarding my video on abortion. His comments and my responses were too large for the YouTube video comment section:

Craig: And you also may be missing the point a bit. Consider the fact that if the overdue baby (who, again, is healthier, more developed, and far more capable of independence outside the womb) has a scissors jammed into the back of his head and his brain sucked out, the law is silent. However, if that 23 week old baby on life-support had the same procedure done, the perpetrator would be tried with murder...EVEN IF the mother had requested it (in which case she'd be charged as well).

How is it obvious to you that the absence of having drawn oxygen into his lungs somehow makes this morally and legally sensible?

Me:
 There is nothing obvious about any of this, especially late term abortion as you describe. In the case of the baby still in utero (late term abortion) the reason must have to do with the safety of the mother. The killing of an already delivered baby in an incubator, as you describe, is not a fair analogue, nor would it happen.

I also am horrified by the idea of late term abortion. But I have to repeat, I don't know what the cause might be for performing one. I can't believe that any doctor would undertake such an action lightly. If I were a husband faced with a choice of wife or baby, I think I'd choose to save the wife. I am way past that now, but I would hope that you never are faced with such a choice.

Craig: Admittedly, they ARE both an "interference" in what would have happen if nature just ran its course. But to equate an interference that sustains life with an interference that destroys life is a logical disaster. Would you equate "feeding a quadriplegic" with "starving a paraplegic"? In both instances, we are "interfering" in what would normally happen if nature were left to her own devices. Of course not. There is simply no comparison with an "intervention" that sustains life and an "intervention" that destroys it. By this logic, we could equate Dr. J. Mengele with Dr. W. Mayo...both were just "interferers".

Me:
 I think your comparisons here are extreme. Mengele and Mayo? Mengele experimented on people against their will, while Mayo tried to aid them in recovery. Intent has a lot to do with it. Intervention isn't always the same. I'm sure that's your point, but your approach is an appeal to emotion, which was my objection to the so-called pro life movement in the first place.

Feeding a person who wants to live and can't feed himself is perhaps an intervention, but who starves a paraplegic? Can you cite me a case? If you bring up a case like Terri Schaivo you will be equating paraplegia with persistent vegetative state, which is not analogous at all.

Craig: We can agree that abortion is a complex issue; but I don't see how complex issues justify inconsistent thinking. It seems to me that some consistent thinking and some fundamental commitments are precisely what we need to think our way through complex matters.

Me: It would be great if in this life we could always be consistent. But circumstances are not consistent. The case of a fetus killed (think Sharon Tate) when the killing was done in malice and to a fetus whose arrival was anticipated with joy is not the same as aborting the fetus produced through rape or incest, or one which would endanger the life of the mother. A certain inconsistency is required in life. We are not machines.

Craig: The way I see it, Largo, is that there is an atrocity in our midst...an absolute blood bath right on our front doorsteps. 53 Million abortions in North America in the last 40+ years. And this blood bath is being justified and euphemized by misleading rhetoric and admittedly inconsistent thinking.

ME: I can agree that there are far too many abortions, and for reasons of convenience or laziness in birth control. But think of the alternative. Abortions were performed when they were illegal, too, but frequently under unsanitary conditions and by practitioners who were unqualified and may have killed the mother. To outlaw abortions would never end them. But it would make them more dangerous.

The rest of your letter seems to rest on your belief that the unborn have the same rights as the born. I already explained that a blastocyst is not a baby, and calling a fetus a baby as if it had a personality is rhetoric on your part, designed to evoke emotion and a visceral rather than an intellectual response.

I agree with you that abortion generally is a bad idea, because, as I said, most abortions are probably done because people didn't take precautions against pregnancy in the first place and are not ready to deal with the consequences. But I am not ready to call it murder. On this we simply do not agree.

The "breath of life" argument, by the way, was from the bible. I'm not a believer myself, but many of the "pro life" faction are, and I referred them to scriptures saying that Adam, for example wasn't born with a living soul, but became one when the breath of life was breathed into his nostrils (and thence, one would suppose, into his lungs).

I have tried here and in my video to present a civil argument without rancor. I hope that can be maintained, even as we disagree.

Re: Issues of Philosophy

Craig: It was not an appeal to emotion. I was not suggesting something was true or false on the basis of how it makes you feel. I was deducing very logically what the implications would be if we took the philosophy undergirding that comment and applied it beyond the abortion issue

Me: I don't think so. Your Mengele/Mayo comparison was not to the point, unless appeal to emotion was your intent. No one thinks Mengele was justified in experimenting on human beings against their will. But many people see abortion as a necessary, if distasteful procedure in some cases. Applying an example like that in comparison to an abortion doctor is disingenuous. You could hardly have expected other than an emotional reaction.

Craig: As hypothetical as the example is, its sole purpose is to illustrate the impropriety of indiscriminately lumping life-sustaining (Mayo) and life-destroying (Mengele) "interferences" into the same category. 

Me: I did not group life sustaining interferences with life destroying ones, you did with your Mengele/Mayo comparison. Again I ask you to cite a case where anyone denied food to a paraplegic. That would be a fair analogue. And again, I caution you not to use Terri Schaivo, since all that could be called personhood was already absent from her body before the support was removed.

Crig: Many late term abortions are done for the same reasons early term abortions are done. The mother does not want the child. 

Me: If you can document this, I might take you seriously. But to me it sounds like posturing in the absence of an argument. What doctor would do such a procedure with "I don't want this kid" as the reason? If there are doctors who would do so, they are bereft of any ethical values. But, as I said, I think doctors only perform late term abortions for very compelling reasons. Prove me wrong, and I will agree with you. Your unsupported assertion that this is so is not enough.

Craig: Then why is that your position? Perhaps "obvious" was too strong a word. Perhaps I should reword it to simply say, why is that a compelling enough line in the sand for you to hold that as the point of legal protection as opposed to another point (like conception)?

Me: I explained that MOST people who oppose abortion do so for religious reasons, and I pointed out scripture about the "breath of life." Obviously that did not resonate with you. I am not willing to say conception is the beginning of any more than a process, which may be interrupted, either naturally or extranaturally at any point. I pointed out in the video that a great many abortions occur spontaneously (naturally) for various reasons. 

With regard to scripture, you should note also that in the bible (Hosea 13:16 for example) not only does the lord order infants already born to be "dashed in pieces," but "women with child ripped open." How's that for a late-term abortion, and at the command of god!

Check out also Isaiah 13:18 "...they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb. Their eyes shall not spare children."

If your argument is purely secular you haven't made your point.

Craig: It is also a strawman to suggest that the entire pro-life movement can be labeled and thus dismissed as an appeal to emotion.

Me: Perhaps some individuals don't appeal only to emotion. But what do you call the signs protesters carry of partial birth abortions and fetuses in the womb? I have seen them. They are highly emotional. Add to that the "pro-life" label, the obvious opposite of which is "anti-life" and you have nothing BUT an appeal to emotion. Perhaps not everyone in the movement deems personhood to begin at conception. But most do. Why else would stem cell research be such a hot button issue?

Craig: I agree that some late term abortions are done to protect the life of the mother (an exception that I am inclined to defend legally; I can also respect an exception in the case of incest and rape). 

Me: I'm glad you can see at least some exceptions. 

Craig: The objection is obvious. The victim has inalienable rights. No man should ever have the right to hit his wife, and no adult should ever have the right to have sex with a child.

Me: Then why do you even propose that? In practically the next sentence you say that that is MY philosophy extrapolated. That is simply not true. My thoughts on abortion apply only to that narrow subject. To accuse me of holding that spousal abuse and child rape could ever under any circumstance be acceptable is false and repugnant. You have no way of knowing what I think beyond what I told you. To say that you know my unexpressed "philosophy" is beyond hubris.

You yourself admit to making an exception in the case of incest or rape or danger to the life of the mother. Yet you expect some kind of superhuman consistency of me. You say you "draw the line" at conception. If that is true and absolute, how can you have any exceptions at all? It is as I said, inconsistency is a necessary part of life. Circumstances change. That is not a tautology. We merely have a difference of opinion. 

Aldous Huxley famously said that the only consistent people are the dead. I agree. If you must have consistency, you need to stop debating, because you will never achieve it, either from your opponent or from yourself.

Thanks for the stimulating discourse. I appreciate that, unlike some in that comment section, you haven't lost your temper or damned me to hell. (Or was that in some other comment section? I get that a lot.)

Best regards,

Larry

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:It is a fact

Watcher wrote:

It is a fact that our behavior, memory, emotions come from higher brain functions.  That's a rock solid fact.  We term the collection of these a person's personality.

We also know for a fact, another rock solid fact, that a three month old fetus has no higher brain functions.

Based on these facts, we know that at that stage of development, the fetus has no personality.  So no fear, no hopes, no emotions, no memory.

These are facts.

Watcher wrote:

Just like an adult who is brain dead.

This is false. A fetus will aquire higher brain functions during growth. A brain dead adult will never aquire higher brain functions. EVER. Death is a permanent state.

Watcher wrote:

But if you refuse to accept or base your opinions on proven scientific facts I won't belabor the point any longer.

I'm not disregarding any facts. You simply haven't named one capable of altering my opinion. Noone ever has. I doubt anyone ever will.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So I recommend you take

So I recommend you take satisfaction in the fact I'd never be agreeable to forcing a mother to carry to term.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This is false.

Vastet wrote:

This is false. A fetus will aquire higher brain functions during growth. A brain dead adult will never aquire higher brain functions. EVER. Death is a permanent state.

Aha!  FINALLY you fill me in on what the meat of the matter is.

So you are saying that it is the future potential of the fetus that drives your opinion?  Would that be correct?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
?

Vastet wrote:
So I recommend you take satisfaction in the fact I'd never be agreeable to forcing a mother to carry to term.

Hmmm...so you are "OK" with a mother having an abortion but that is murder to you.

Does that deserve punishment? If not why?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Vastet

Watcher wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Aha!  FINALLY you fill me in on what the meat of the matter is.

So you are saying that it is the future potential of the fetus that drives your opinion?  Would that be correct?

I look at the future potential at all stages of life, from conception to the grave. Occasionally beyond. However, I don't distinguish between time periods and phases when it comes to defining humanity. I take a broad approach to avoid impinging on the freedom to exist of sentient, or future sentient, beings. A fetus has almost indistinguishable probability to become a functional and productive member of society as a baby or a child. None of them are until they are, but all of them have the potential to be. And I'll not advocate murder simply because the target is

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
incapable of perceiving pain

incapable of perceiving pain or it's own end now. If not destroyed, it will be capable. And I can all too easily see some assinine megalomaniac taking the arguments presented to their extreme and justifying the killing of anyone who doesn't or can't speak or care for themselves, regardless of their ability to do so at a later time.
It rather disgusts me to think I would never have existed if my mother chose to kill me before I was born, and only religious idiots would have defended me, for the most part. I exist now. I was once a fetus without any cognitive functions. I didn't come from anything else, and neither did anyone else. There is no logic in divorcing a fetus from human status simply because it can't think yet.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Hmmm...so

ex-minister wrote:

Hmmm...so you are "OK" with a mother having an abortion but that is murder to you.

Does that deserve punishment? If not why?

Actually, it deserves education. Anyone having an abortion should be required to attend courses on safe sex and the financial consequences of abortion on the health care system. That includes fathers.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I look at the

Vastet wrote:
I look at the future potential at all stages of life, from conception to the grave. Occasionally beyond. However, I don't distinguish between time periods and phases when it comes to defining humanity. I take a broad approach to avoid impinging on the freedom to exist of sentient, or future sentient, beings. A fetus has almost indistinguishable probability to become a functional and productive member of society as a baby or a child. None of them are until they are, but all of them have the potential to be. And I'll not advocate murder simply because the target is Offline incapable of perceiving pain incapable of perceiving pain or it's own end now. If not destroyed, it will be capable. And I can all too easily see some assinine megalomaniac taking the arguments presented to their extreme and justifying the killing of anyone who doesn't or can't speak or care for themselves, regardless of their ability to do so at a later time. It rather disgusts me to think I would never have existed if my mother chose to kill me before I was born, and only religious idiots would have defended me, for the most part. I exist now. I was once a fetus without any cognitive functions. I didn't come from anything else, and neither did anyone else. There is no logic in divorcing a fetus from human status simply because it can't think yet.

Now we are talking.   Good stuff.

I understand the viewpoint of potential and all that.   However, you mention "I'll not advocate murder...".

Ok, let's define "murder".

If I step on an insect, is that murder?   If I kill a mouse, is that murder?   Or does murder somehow, inexplicably apply to a tiny mass of unspecialized cells a fraction of the size of the brain of a house fly and also happens to be containing human DNA?

My wife and I had unprotected sex A LOT and became pregnant with our first child.   We also had sex only three times after the birth of our first daughter and and becoming pregnant with our second only a few months later.

Potentially, if we had used protection we would have prevented either or both of them from being born.

Every time you have unprotected sex with another human of the opposite gender you potentially could create a human who could become a functional and productive member of society.   Therefore, if you use protection during sex, or if you don't engage in sex when you have the opportunity to, or you "pull out" before you ejaculate into a sexually viable woman, are you committing murder because you prevented a mating event that would have led to a potentially functional and productive member of society?

Why do you draw the line at the internal fertilization of an egg by a spermazoa?

And what basis do you say "functional and productive"?   Is a heavily autistic or retarded human a functional and productive member of society?  Because I have an aunt with full blown Down Syndrome with a barely functional life, has been cared for at the financial expense of our family for almost 60 years without providing a single "productive" day of anything to society.   She's never so much as carried a plate of food to someone.   She sits around rocking back and forth being...well retarded and lost in her own head.   I also have a heavily autistic nephew, who, well hell maybe he could conceivably mumble out some mathematical theorem that could revolutionize physics one of these years (I doubt it), but he's always going to be more of a parasite on someone's productive output rather than a net positive gain for our species

If neither of those two individuals are functional or productive to our society is it murder if I blew their brains out with a gun right now?  In the case of my aunt, zero potential for any functional or productive anything, ever.   She's always going to be a drain.  Therefore, no potential, no problem with stopping her consumption of our resources.  Like food.

Potentially every egg and every sperm can fertilize with the opposite and become potentially a fully functional and productive human.  Is the waste of a sperm or an egg half-murder?

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

My views on abortion are evolving because of this thread, and I don't know where they're going to end up.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Ok, let's define

Quote:

The killing of a human, by a human, is the definition of murder. Any other termination of life can best be described simply as killing.

Quote:
Every time you have unprotected sex with another human of the opposite gender you potentially could create a human who could become a functional and productive member of society. 

Not that simple. Until actual conception, your potential ability to someday become a productive member of society is negligible, and unspecific. Roughly equal to a rock. It exists, but not in a meaningful way.
There is no process already in motion that will result in the birth of a child. No chemical reaction or cell division. Nothing. At best there are processess that can help facilitate such, but they are only the body's prep work for actual conception. Not the conception itself. And they happen independent of any sexual activity.

Quote:
Why do you draw the line at the internal fertilization of an egg by a spermazoa?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because that's where the

Because that's where the line begins. There is no credible or logical argument to presume life exists before conception, at least not at our point in the evolutionary process. Maybe it's different with self replicating molecules and the like, but that's a different topic. And species.

Quote:
And what basis do you say "functional and productive"?

What does it matter? That wasn't a main point in my argument. I could have left those three words out and my statements intended message wouldn't have been altered in the slightest.

Quote:
If neither of those two individuals are functional or productive to our society is it murder if I blew their brains out with a gun right now?

Yes. They are human, after all, and alive. Neither a sperm nor egg is a human. Not even potentially. You can leave a sperm alive for a billion years and it will never become a human adult, no matter what resources are available for it to consume or conditions it exists in.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A fetus is human, the

A fetus is human, the potential has been realised. The sperm and egg are dead and gone, and only a human remains.
Only interference in the process will prevent it from becoming a baby.

A sperm can swim for millennia and never be more than a sperm. A fetus will either grow into what you define as a human, or die. There is no alternative.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
opinion please

Vastet wrote:
Quote:
The killing of a human, by a human, is the definition of murder. Any other termination of life can best be described simply as killing.

This is sounding to me like humans are sacred and have a soul. A very small step away from it anyway.  It is very ego-centric. The only life that is important is the one I just happen to be a species of.  How lucky for us.

Permit me to go across a line you might consider ridiculous, but I hope you will be willing to look at this from all angles.

Is it murder when a chimp kills another chimp or is that just a killing?

At what point in human evolution did it go from a killing to a murder? homo habilis, homo erectus, homo neanderthal? If these were separate species would it only be murder when an individual killed one of his own species? 

Why is this distinction important to you? Do you fear we would become cold-hearted against our species?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This is sounding to me

Quote:
This is sounding to me like humans are sacred and have a soul.

It's a legal and universally accepted definition of a term. Probably the etymology does descend from theistic views, but as used today the term murder specifically describes the killing of a human by a human, in a court of law. A human won't be charged with murder if he/she kills an animal, nor will an animal be charged with murder for killing a human. That there is scientifically and logically no basis for a distinction has no impact on the fact that society at large made the distinction anyway, millennia ago, and it has yet to change.

All of which is completely irrelevant. Whether you prefer murder or killing doesn't matter to me in the slightest. The action itself is the topic of discussion, not the semantic value of various terminology.

The terms are interchangable as far as I'm concerned.

I won't be saying as much to a lawyer or judge, however. They wouldn't agree.

Presumably that addressed your questions.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ok, riddle me this, Canuck

Ok, riddle me this, Canuck Batman.

10 to 20% of all pregnancies that are KNOWN result in the woman's body ejecting the fertilized egg.  Biological abortion.

And that's only what is known.   I've read estimates that if you include unknown fertilizations the number could be closer to 40%.

That's a lot of lost potential humans.   Do you think we need to direct our medical investigations to prevent up to 40% of our lost potential humans being automatical rejected and expunged by women's bodies?

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Vastet,So you are looking

Vastet,

So you are looking at this issue from a legal POV.

If the law were different, your thinking would be different?

With Roe v Wade the law changed, it said abortion was not murder, it is legal. Why deviate from the law here?

Religion Kills !!!

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Still hate this...

I know a young lady who has had no less than FIVE abortions... after the last one I handed her a box of condoms.

That being said...

A woman has an ABSOLUTE right over her own body.

I don't have to like her decision.

I don't have to approve of her decision.

It remains, HER decision.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Ok, riddle me

Watcher wrote:

Ok, riddle me this, Canuck Batman.

10 to 20% of all pregnancies that are KNOWN result in the woman's body ejecting the fertilized egg.  Biological abortion.

And that's only what is known.   I've read estimates that if you include unknown fertilizations the number could be closer to 40%.

That's a lot of lost potential humans.   Do you think we need to direct our medical investigations to prevent up to 40% of our lost potential humans being automatical rejected and expunged by women's bodies?

I'd be quite surprised to find out it wasn't already being done somewhere.
However, the universe is not a safe place. Any living creature can die at any given moment. And all life will eventually cease no matter what technology is discovered.

Besides that, for all I know, all those biologically based self abortions are the result of a defect in the reproduction process that resulted in a failed conception. Rather than waste the bodies resources on

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
an unviable pregnancy, the

an unviable pregnancy, the body rejects the fetus in favour of a future conception that is not failed.

Quote:
 Vastet,So you are looking at this issue from a legal POV.

No. The terminology I used was based on legality, but not my ethics. If the term used by the courts for human vs human killing didn't exist I'd have just stuck with killing.
In fact, killing was the first term I used in this topic. I didn't use murder until someone else did.

Quote:
A woman has an ABSOLUTE right over her own body.I don't have to like her decision.I don't have to approve of her decision.It remains, HER decision.

I agree, at least until there is an alternative, if one will ever exist. If one ever does, then it's no longer her choice whether or not the fetus will be terminated. Her only choice will be whether or not to carry to term. The consequence of failing to use safe sex.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Safe sex isn't fool proof.

Safe sex isn't fool proof. My first was conceived using birth control. My second was one night I said let's not bother.
Having the wifes tubes tied finally took care of all that.

Religion Kills !!!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Safe sex

ex-minister wrote:
Safe sex isn't fool proof. My first was conceived using birth control. My second was one night I said let's not bother.
Having the wifes tubes tied finally took care of all that.

No, it isn't, which is why punishing unwanted pregnancy is pointless. But nothing is foolproof. And most unwanted pregnancies don't happen despite safe methods, they happen because people don't care to use them.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am going to write

I am going to write something batshit crazy because I feel like it and I have nothing better to do. I would hope it would have a grain of truth in it but I seriously doubt thats going to happen.

There is nothing inherently special about life. Life is only valuable in so much as we value it.

The only question here is do you value this as a life form. I don't, so I am happy for people to kill it just like I am happy for people to kill rats, cockroach's and snakes and other things I don't value. Nothing inherently special about life, no need to argue about when something becomes alive... something being alive is not something we really care about with everything else we kill. Its just how much we as a collective value that life form vs the reward we gain from killing it. How much would we gain from aborting the majority of pregnacies? A stupid amount. We basically solve a large amount of the worlds problems. Thats a good deal, I make that deal.

If you want to say its because its human that we shouldn't kill it, species bias, why should higher brain function determine if it is right to kill? Seems an irrelevant fact, no form of life wants to die to my knowledge, we kill other things for no real reason that feel pain as well. Why should it being human matter? Please don't take this as advocating killing humans, rather take it as we should not be killing other things if we think killing humans is always wrong.

Why should potential matter? Potential should matter least of all, a sick person has the potential to die yet we interfere, we interfere with everything all the time in every aspect of our lives and other peoples lives, why single out this one thing that it should be wrong to interfere with? We interefere during a mothers pregnancy to correct certain illnesses to prevent the baby from being harmed. If the natural course is what is important we should not be interfereing with anything. Unless you want to argue that only interefere when it is for the greater good like preventing illness etc. The greater good is mass abortions as explained above.

The only thing that matters is peoples perception on the matter when it comes then whether something is acceptable morally. After all we are the ultimate authority on human morality (as a collective). Whether it is right or wrong is just perception at the time.

\batshit crazy mode offline

Disclaimer: I do not really believe a single thing I wrote above in full. It is simply a thought experiment.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abortion and conception are the same

Having a child is solely the interest of no more than two people so is not having a child.

It is no one else's business no matter what the argument.

As the subject says, if you can do one you can do the other. The "power" is the same in both cases. The foetus is not a gift. There is no third party involved in its creation.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Al G. Funguy
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Evictionism

The most cogent position on abortion I've come across is evictionism.

If you invite a guest into your home, but then change your mind, you should ask him to leave. If he refuses to leave, it is a violation of your property rights and an act of aggression. At this point, you can respond by physically escorting him off the premises. If he continues to resist, you may escalate the situation, e.g. call in the police who may end up shooting the man.

Now, if you allow a fetus to grow in your body, but then change your mind, you also have a right to evict it. Sadly, there is no technological means to preserve a young fetus's life. Your only option for protecting your rights is to terminate the fetus. Perhaps, 100 years from now, there will be a means to preserve its life and in that case you must not use lethal force to solve your problem as there are more humane means available for performing the eviction.

See http://www.walterblock.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/block-whitehead_abortion-2005.pdf

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's the way I see it.

That's the way I see it.