Epic punishment for cheating

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Epic punishment for cheating

Apparently, the makers of Modern Warfare 3 have kept their promise to deal with cheaters. 1600+ people have been banned within 10 days of the games release. The company tweeted something to the effect of "cheating, hacking, and bug exploitation will not be tolerated".

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/59768-1600-modern-warfare-3-cheaters-banned

But that is only most of the story. Apparently, at least one guy got levelled with a 5000 day ban. That's between ten and fifteen years (I don't feel like doing the math, so sue me Sticking out tongue).

http://www.mw3forum.com/showthread.php?t=53958

Now I'm all for punishing cheaters, but that's a bit excessive I think. lol.

The moral? Now is a good time to stop cheating online. Two weeks ago would have been better.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
I remember the silver age of

I remember the silver age of backdoor hacking, trojans and AOL spamming.  This online console/PC shit is too much for me and I feel old saying that, but it really is.  I've been a gamer most of my life and I find that as I get older, I don't have the same sugar-induced energy that these annoying, shit talking kids online do so, I steer clear.  Even if I practiced a lot at it, I still would only be second best because my twitch reflexes aren't what they used to be.  I can still kick ass, but not to the extent that these adolescences can.  Played World of Warcraft for years, but I started my first online game around '98 (Ultima Online) and most of my time was spent scamming people, ripping them off and what not.  I was not a nice gamer at all.  A lot of things happened during that time to make me see what a prick I was being, but that's neither here nor there. 

As I grew up, graphics became more and more real and the game play in each next gen game began to get quicker.  I just bowed out and came to terms with the fact that I experienced the real age of gaming and try my best to keep up with the times without feeling like I'm lagging behind.  I've played just about every system ever made, won a few tournaments and now I just build things on Minecraft or fire up an emulator to relive the glory days.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fortunately my age hasn't

Fortunately my age hasn't caught up with me yet, and I still qualify as being in the top 1-10% of gamers, depending on the game. So I can still kick the shit out of the kids. Laughing out loud

I was lucky enough to see the dawn of gaming. I remember playing Pong with my dad when I was very young. Then the Atari came out, then the NES, and it snowballed.

All of the old games definitely lacked the graphics and sound quality. But bugs were a lot fewer. And there was more thinking than reacting to do well in many of them.

There's certainly been a lot of big changes.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
See, older games had a charm

See, older games had a charm that will never die and a lot had the graphics to back it up.  Just because the realism of modern games today seem superior to the older generations, that doesn't mean the graphics were necessarily inferior.  For example, I'd take the Streets of Rage series over the new Street Fighter on Xbox 360 any day of the week because it flowed better and carried with it an appeal that new graphics will never capture.  

Oh, by the way, what games do you play?  I tend to shift between all kinds of titles these days

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree the graphics boost

I agree the graphics boost has been accompanied by some gameplay loss in many categories. Hell, I even miss the old midi soundtracks often.

I play most anything, genre-wise. Not as much into FPS as I was when Wolf3d hit the bulletin boards, but the odd one is fun.
Third person and strategy games are my current favourites. They seem to be getting the most love from developers these days.
I used to love RPG's, but I haven't played any good ones in awhile. That's one genre that went down hard.
Sometimes I play fighters, the newest Mortal Kombat is actually great. And hard as hell like it always was.

Some recently played titles include Magic: The Gathering, Batman: Arkham City, Risk: Factions, From Dust, Iron Man 2, Bioshock, Uncharted 2, God of War collection, Final Fantasy XIII, inFamous, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Dead Nation, Mortal Kombat, & Worms 2: Armageddon.

I tend to stay away from sports titles, as it's quite costly to keep up, and online servers get shut down too quickly for my liking.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Sports titles bore the fuck

Sports titles bore the fuck out of me anyway except for Blitz; always found that shit comical. 

Uncharted is supposed to be good, but don't know much about it.  Worms, holy shit, I thought no one played that anymore; best time killer ever.  I get so angry at the computer in that game; the AI is lethal.  The other titles I haven't really fucked with.  Lately I'm into Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto IV, Bioshock 1 and 2, gave F.E.A.R a shot, but need to get the 2nd and 3rd one now and I recently downloaded Age of Empires III and beat that; memories .  Call of Duty is on hold until I can afford the third one, but I love that series; the storyline is pretty intense.

You should check out Minecraft; I think you'd get a kick out of it. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uncharted is awesome.

Uncharted is awesome. Basically a kind of Indiana Jones, with a lot more gun fights. I can't wait to play the 3rd one. Might have to do a review on the series.

Yes, Worms AI is fucking ridiculous. That the computer can line impossible shots up with such deadly accuracy almost every time is just cruel. Though sometimes it doesn't look right in front of itself while lining the shot up, so occasionally you get to see it blow itself up.

RDR is downstairs. I'll try it at some point.
GTAIV had me hooked for quite awhile, but eventually the bugs online became too aggravating and I rarely play it anymore.
Bioshock is fairly good, and I'll get around to finishing it at some point.
Never played AoE or FEAR.
Not a fan of CoD, focuses on the US too much. And the graphics in that game evade my visual acuity. It's fairly real looking, but both too much and not enough for me to pick out targets. They blur with the background at a distance. Maybe when it improves further it'll be better.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heard about Minecraft, but I

Heard about Minecraft, but I don't have a pc. Some day. I suggest you try From Dust. Basically a mixture of Minecraft and Lemmings.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Minecraft FTW!!!

Leggos that you don't step on in the middle of the night... win-win.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
You're in luck; Minecraft

You're in luck; Minecraft will be ported to Xbox 360 soon and is already available on android phones so, look into it.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a PS3, but no XBox.

I have a PS3, but no XBox. Is it seeing release on all systems?

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
I think it'll be Xbox 360

I think it'll be Xbox 360 and androids for a little while, but anything is possible.  If they wanted to expand the player base exponentially, they'd port to PS3.