Not Praying for the Redskins Tomorrow

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not Praying for the Redskins Tomorrow

I would like to state for the record that I will not be praying for the Redskins to win tomorrow.  Therefore, if the Redskins lose, which they will, it will be y'alls fault because you don't believe in G-d and you didn't pray for them to win.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Pat's fan; me.

No one figures the Washington First nations' have a prayer at any time. Least of all their fans.

Now go forth St.Thomas of Brady.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry Furry, but if we lose

Sorry Furry, but if we lose it is because we suck. If we win it will be because NE took us for granted. But either way it wont be because of Yahweh or Thor or Vishnu. It will be because one team ended up with more points at the end of the game. FYI, I know you were just kidding, but just sayin.

Oh and to both you and Jeffrick there is a word that starts with the letter F and the other word starts with Y.

Don't make me take you outside so you can kick my ass!

And Jeff, could you call their coach and Brady and ask them not to embarrass us tooooooo much? Putty pwease?

I WANT MY MOMMY!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't watch baseball  

I don't watch baseball

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Sorry Furry,

Brian37 wrote:

Sorry Furry, but if we lose it is because we suck. If we win it will be because NE took us for granted. But either way it wont be because of Yahweh or Thor or Vishnu. It will be because one team ended up with more points at the end of the game. FYI, I know you were just kidding, but just sayin.

I think you should conduct an experiment.  Yeah, Scientific Method.

Make a list of major deities.  Pick the really important ones for the really important games.  Pray to each deity before the game.  If the 'skins win, put a check mark next to that name.  Then, next season, you can pray some more and narrow down the list.  Pick the deities with the best win-loss record for the playoffs.  Now, you have to test the null hypothesis, so in '13, pray to the deities that didn't work.  If they suck again in '13, you know you found the correct deity next year.

If you're right about being an atheist, or you pick the wrong deities, the 'skins will lose the rest of their games this year Eye-wink

Brian37 wrote:
I WANT MY MOMMY!

Sorry, you're too old for me to be your Mommy.  But, if you don't mind giving up bacon cheeseburgers for the rest of your life, you could be my Daddy Eye-wink

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I don't

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
I don't watch baseball

That's okay -- Major League Baseball =and= the National Football League are both very grateful.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah...go...rah...redsk.....s

Geez, how it must suck to be a Redskin player today. Can you imagine running on the field today knowing you will lose in front of your fan base? If they make one score I am sure they will be somewhat relieved, but I expect a shut out. Nice the games are at 1pm each time so you have the rest of the day to do something else like kick the dog. Whoops sorry I was thinking of the Eagles.

My atheist prediction on the Redskin record going forward. 

14 Sun, Dec 11 New England 1:00 PM ET    (4-9)

15 Sun, Dec 18 @ New York 1:00 PM ET    (4-10)

16 Sat, Dec 24 Minnesota 1:00 PM ET    (5-10)

17 Sun, Jan 01 @ Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET    (5-11)

Records now

NE   (9-3)

NYG  (6-6)

MIN (2-10)

PHI (4-8)

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Team sports bore the hell

Team sports bore the hell out of me.  I can watch MMA, kick boxing or other such sports involving individual competition but foot ball, basket ball, base ball  ......

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Geez,

ex-minister wrote:

Geez, how it must suck to be a Redskin player today.

I was thinking more along the lines of how it must suck to be Brian -- knowing that the only way the 'skins can win today is through Divine Intervention and he doesn't believe in G-d!

ex-minister wrote:

17 Sun, Jan 01 @ Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET    (5-11)

PHI (4-8)

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the 'skins losing to the Eagles.  I think Minnesota sucks so badly it will be like the 'skins have a Bye week.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK!Just

FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Just like the last 3 weeks, hot chick hits on us, and like a geek we run away screaming when she says yes.

Jeffrick, I knew we would lose, but I didn't think that it would be this close. This had to have you pulling your hair out.

BTW, when Brady threw that last minute interception and they showed the coach screaming at him, I was like, in my head saying "What the fuck, he won 4 Super Bowls". It seemed pretty silly to me considering what Brady has done. That was just one game.

Grossman seems to be a Joe Theisman wannabe, he tries to thread the needle too fucking much and that last second interception which cost us the game is another example of why the Skins suck.

But, the upside, is I cant believe we kept up that long. It is at least nice to know we had you shitting your pants for a while.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
pheeeeewwwww!

That interception at the 5 by Mayo sent me jumping and screeming, I think they heard me in Toronto.  Since I'm at home in Guyana right now I had to settle for hearing the game online vis a R.I. radio station.  Don't worry about St.Thomas of Brady and Bishop of Bellichek they always yell at each other on bad plays it's part of what makes them successful. If you see Brady on the sideline as often as I do you"ll realize St.Thomas knows all the bad words, especially the F word  and most of the time it's directed at himself.                  I was wrong though, Washington had a prayer, right to the last 22 seconds.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

That interception at the 5 by Mayo sent me jumping and screeming, I think they heard me in Toronto.  Since I'm at home in Guyana right now I had to settle for hearing the game online vis a R.I. radio station.  Don't worry about St.Thomas of Brady and Bishop of Bellichek they always yell at each other on bad plays it's part of what makes them successful. If you see Brady on the sideline as often as I do you"ll realize St.Thomas knows all the bad words, especially the F word  and most of the time it's directed at himself.                  I was wrong though, Washington had a prayer, right to the last 22 seconds.

Both you and I expected this, but not this close. I just fucking hate that the Skins are such dick teases. Win big or lose badly. We seem to like to tease and lose. I am tired of that.

We should change our name to the Washington "Maxwell Smarts"  "Missed it by that much".

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shit, shit, shit, shit

Shit. Again they wrestled defeat from the jaws of victory. 

No surprise.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:We should

Brian37 wrote:

We should change our name to the Washington "Maxwell Smarts"  "Missed it by that much".

Thanks -- I just spent 2 hours cleaning a virus off my laptop (damned public wifi networks in airports -- someone needs to issue laptop condoms whenever public wifi is offerred ...) and needed a good laugh.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great Line Brian 37

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Both you and I expected this, but not this close. I just fucking hate that the Skins are such dick teases. Win big or lose badly. We seem to like to tease and lose. I am tired of that.

There are damn few people alive today who know what that reference was.  Unlike Furrycathearder  my mouth was empty at the time. My screen is still clean but not by much.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Brian37

Jeffrick wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
That interception at the 5 by Mayo sent me jumping and screeming, I think they heard me in Toronto.  Since I'm at home in Guyana right now I had to settle for hearing the game online vis a R.I. radio station.  Don't worry about St.Thomas of Brady and Bishop of Bellichek they always yell at each other on bad plays it's part of what makes them successful. If you see Brady on the sideline as often as I do you"ll realize St.Thomas knows all the bad words, especially the F word  and most of the time it's directed at himself.

I was wrong though, Washington had a prayer, right to the last 22 seconds.

There are damn few people alive today who know what that reference was.  Unlike Furrycathearder  my mouth was empty at the time. My screen is still clean but not by much.

There was nothing in my mouth -- the thing I had to clean off the laptop was some virus I picked up while sitting in an airport waiting for my return flight.

This is only the second virus infection I've had in a computer in 35 years of using the useless buggers.  I originally thought I caught it from here, but after I found the description of the virus, I realized it came into my life on Friday, when I wasn't "here".  Grrrr ....

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
A gentle reminder to any and

A gentle reminder to any and all Redskins Fans --

I will once again not be praying for your team to win.

I will also not be praying for the Saints to win, since making such prayers is a sin in the first place.  But I will note that the Saints are favored to stomp the Vikings, with or without the intervention of any football loving deities, including all of the ones who hate the Redskins.  Which would appear to be all of them, since the Redskins are favored to lose to the New York Football Giants.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:A

FurryCatHerder wrote:

A gentle reminder to any and all Redskins Fans --

I will once again not be praying for your team to win.

I will also not be praying for the Saints to win, since making such prayers is a sin in the first place.  But I will note that the Saints are favored to stomp the Vikings, with or without the intervention of any football loving deities, including all of the ones who hate the Redskins.  Which would appear to be all of them, since the Redskins are favored to lose to the New York Football Giants.

Prayer is a waste of time. It is merely talking to yourself. And especially in a pass time over rich people who really don't need any help. And on top of that if a "god" gets involved then that is cheating. There are only supposed to be 11 men on each side of the ball.

Furry I know this is not a serious topic thread but it DOES demonstrate how religion infects even the most irrelevant parts of life when there really are far more important things in the world for humans to worry about than a mere sporting event.

AND when players or fans attribute their win or success to a god it really is nothing  but selection bias and sample rate error. There are lots of players who never make it to the league. There are ups and downs for every team over decades of games. If the league continued for 5,000 years, what you would see is that it really is all ultimately a crap shoot.

If the league continues for a long time, even after I die, I am quite sure if in tact eventually the Skins will win another Super Bowl. Not now, but eventually.

Praying over any tv award show, or sporting event is the sickest form of narcissism to me.

The only thing that ultimately matters in any sport is the score at the end of the game. The players can work hard, but we also see cases where a good team can lose to a bad team.

Tomorrow the Skins play the Giants. I expect them to lose, but not because of prayer, or lucky socks or Buddha or Karma. Their over all history would indicate it. But even if they win, that too will not be because of any superstition. If the Skins win, it will be because of a couple of potential factors. Luck, or injury to a key Giant player(never like to see that), or the Giants simply taking the Skins for granted. But ultimately the points at the end of the game are what matter.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37,I don't know why I

Brian37,

I don't know why I am telling you this, since I know what I am letting myself in for, but according to the program information, the local sporting digital TV channel here will be carrying the Redskins/Giants game....

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Brian37,I

BobSpence wrote:

Brian37,

I don't know why I am telling you this, since I know what I am letting myself in for, but according to the program information, the local sporting digital TV channel here will be carrying the Redskins/Giants game....

I fucking hate you!(Note to reader, I mean that he is getting the game and I wont be)

Well we might have to listen to it through your computer it will be faster than ESPN radio since I don't want to pay to go to a bar to see it.

FUCK, not only does my team suck, a country who doesn't like the game, and a guy who is just listening  to it to listen to me bust a vein for entertainment, is getting the game and I am not.

MOTHER FUCKER!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:FUCK, not only

Brian37 wrote:

FUCK, not only does my team suck, a country who doesn't like the game, and a guy who is just listening  to it to listen to me bust a vein for entertainment, is getting the game and I am not.

MOTHER FUCKER!

I'm sure it will be on the TeeVee here. 

I won't be watching it.  I'll be wasting all of the potential for you to watch it sitting in my den on something else.  Like, getting ready to go to a Chanukha party.  Go Maccabis, beat Greece!!!

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Prayer is a

Brian37 wrote:
Prayer is a waste of time. It is merely talking to yourself. And especially in a pass time over rich people who really don't need any help. And on top of that if a "god" gets involved then that is cheating. There are only supposed to be 11 men on each side of the ball.

Never underestimate the power of talking to yourself.  Remember the "Meditation helps the brain" thread?  Apparently talking to yourself =does= help.

Now, begging some Bearded Old White Guy to let your team win a football game, or to help one get laid -- total waste of time.  Sounds a bit like the scene from "A Few Good Men" where Lt. Caffey (I think that's the right character) asks Col. Jessup for the tower logs and Jessup says "But you got to ask nicely"?  Either their god is an idiot, or their god is some kind of fascist -- "The Redskins can win this weekend, BUT ONLY IF YOU ASK NICELY" or "Gee, well, I was going to let the Giants win, but I didn't know what the heck I was thinking.  I guess I was wrong.  Silly me."

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
5 & 9

Yeah, now that it doesn't matter.

5 & 9...5 & 9

16 Sat, Dec 24 Minnesota 1:00 PM ET (5-10)

17 Sun, Jan 01 @ Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET (5-11)

Sorry you missed the win Brian37.

Religion Kills !!!

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
miracles??

The Washington First nations wins big, congrats to Brian 37.   But Kansas City BEATS  Packers?   Did hell freeze over when I blinked?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Yeah, now

ex-minister wrote:

Yeah, now that it doesn't matter.

5 & 9...5 & 9

16 Sat, Dec 24 Minnesota 1:00 PM ET (5-10)

17 Sun, Jan 01 @ Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET (5-11)

Sorry you missed the win Brian37.

I didn't miss it, I listened to it through Skype and Bob's TV in Australia. Yea Bob got the game and I didn't!

I just want to know why the fuck when we win when  it doesn't count and we lose when it does count?

I seriously think both teams walked into the wrong lockers and put on the wrong uniforms today.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
otoh

The Pat's had to win and the Jets had to loose for St.Thomas of Brady to clinch the division title.   BOY DID THEY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!                             The Jets may not make the playoffs. Tim [religious]Tebow found out realists win at football.  Brady has never made a religious statement.

edt] Colts win, Washington first nations win, Packers loose;  hell must have frozen over, I just didn' t notice.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 and the Colts won.A wild

and the Colts won.

A wild weekend.

Religion Kills !!!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

The Washington First nations wins big, congrats to Brian 37.   But Kansas City BEATS  Packers?   Did hell freeze over when I blinked?

God boy in Denver didn't suck up to Jebus hard enough. Next thing you know I'll vote Libertarian. I wonder if QM can explain this? I bet even Steven Hawkins is saying(typing) "What the fuck just happened"?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

The Pat's had to win and the Jets had to loose for St.Thomas of Brady to clinch the division title.   BOY DID THEY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!                             The Jets may not make the playoffs. Tim [religious]Tebow found out realists win at football.  Brady has never made a religious statement.

edt] Colts win, Washington first nations win, Packers loose;  hell must have frozen over, I just didn' t notice.

Tebow found out the hard way that the only thing that wins is having the most points at the end of the game. Where's your god now Timmy?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Tebow found

Brian37 wrote:

Tebow found out the hard way that the only thing that wins is having the most points at the end of the game. Where's your god now Timmy?

I think Tebow is a big boy and probably knows Jebus can't win every game for him Eye-wink

I do have a proposition for you -- if you pay me money, I promise I won't pray for the Redskins the rest of the season.  How's that sound?

Oh, and how about them Saints?!?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Brian37

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I think Tebow is a big boy and probably knows Jebus can't win every game for him Eye-wink

I do have a proposition for you -- if you pay me money, I promise I won't pray for the Redskins the rest of the season.  How's that sound?

I'd think an ethical being wouldn't want a deity cheating on his behalf...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Being Jewish I am sure you meant that as a joke, But people literally, like you, believe that their god intervenes in human lives. If the God of Jesus is the one true god, and he is all powerful, then why couldn't he help Tebow cheat and win every game? Because there are only 11 men allowed on each side of the ball, if God steps in to help him, it can only be called cheating, even if God only helps him in one game.

I don't care if you do pray for the Redskins or the Saints or the Cowboys for that matter. Prayer is meaningless and the only thing that counts are the points at the end of the game. Other players have lucky socks, or lucky plaques they smack like a high 5 when they leave the locker room. Superstition is superstition and woo is woo.

If the Redskins ever get better it will be because they have better management, better players and better depth and a better balanced game. I don't see that happening soon, but that is a separate issue.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Well since we are not talking about an ethical being it cheating fits in quite well. And didn't Paul say something like "If through my falsehood".

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:jcgadfly

Brian37 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Well since we are not talking about an ethical being it cheating fits in quite well. And didn't Paul say something like "If through my falsehood".

I was assuming that Tebow was more ethical than the God he serves as many other humans are. My bad.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Being Jewish I

Brian37 wrote:
Being Jewish I am sure you meant that as a joke, But people literally, like you, believe that their god intervenes in human lives. If the God of Jesus is the one true god, and he is all powerful, then why couldn't he help Tebow cheat and win every game? Because there are only 11 men allowed on each side of the ball, if God steps in to help him, it can only be called cheating, even if God only helps him in one game.

Judaism isn't at all like Christianity.  There is no praying for free goodies from heaven, winning football games, or getting a better job.  We do not pray as a way to get stuff, which would including praying for any football team to win or lose.  We pray as a way to acknowledge that G-d created the entire Universe, and everything in it, good stuff and bad stuff.

On the other hand, if you would like to pay me money to continue not praying for your football team, I won't complain.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:jcgadfly

Brian37 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I don't understand this mentality at all.  There would be nothing more or less "cheating" about G-d "allowing" the Redskins to win than causing gravity to exist.  I don't see Atheists complaining about the Laws of Nature, which most (reasonable) theists should all agree equally come from G-d.  You really do sound like "Whaa!  I'm not getting free goodies, there is no god!!!" sometimes.

The god you don't believe in, I don't believe in either.  Either rules are rules and the best team wins (or the Redskins get lucky Smiling ), or rules aren't rules and some people get the Law of Gravity and some don't, and so on.  In my observation, the Laws of Natural apply equally, and I'd expect the law of football to go the same way.

Christianity is just a continuation of previous pagan religions that had gods they could manipulate for their own benefit.  If you make the right incantation ("Dear Super Sky Daddy, please send me Angelina Jolie, a Lamborghini, and a winning season for the Redskins.  Amen!&quotEye-wink, you get special goodies.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Judaism isn't at all like Christianity.  There is no praying for free goodies from heaven, winning football games, or getting a better job.  We do not pray as a way to get stuff, which would including praying for any football team to win or lose.  We pray as a way to acknowledge that G-d created the entire Universe, and everything in it, good stuff and bad stuff.

On the other hand, if you would like to pay me money to continue not praying for your football team, I won't complain.

I don't mind the attempt of having a running joke. But lets get serious here for a second.

You are stuck on labels.. This is no different than me pointing at the moon and you staring at my finger tip.

The moon is not made of cheese. The sun rotates around the earth and PRAYER is nothing but talking to yourself. It is the same if someone is praying to Buddha, or when the Egyptians prayed to the sun, or when Christians ask for "goodies". It doesn't matter why you are doing it. I don't care if you say "We only do it for noble reasons, not selfish reasons"

Don't care if you are appealing to your fictional friend for world peace or the end of hunger. You are still talking to yourself. And no matter what physical reaction you may have to that act, it is still a sugar pill.

(end serious argument)

(South Park Kartman joke ahead)

And no, I will not pay you money. If Jews are as penny pinching as their stereotype buy the Skins and then you wouldn't actually have to fake prayer, you could actually spend that money on them to make yourself richer because that investment would actually fill the stands more and make your richer and I wouldn't need to pay you anything.

I'd even love Mel Brooks to own the Skins, he'd put that Face Palm avatar on the Helmet until they started winning.

To quote Spaceballs, "Merchandising".

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The moon is

Brian37 wrote:
The moon is not made of cheese. The sun rotates around the earth and PRAYER is nothing but talking to yourself. It is the same if someone is praying to Buddha, or when the Egyptians prayed to the sun, or when Christians ask for "goodies". It doesn't matter why you are doing it. I don't care if you say "We only do it for noble reasons, not selfish reasons"

Sigh.

Jewish prayer =is= "talking to yourself", by and large.  It is the process of becoming more mindful of G-d and G-d's creation.  It is much closer in nature to Eastern Meditation than Western Begging.

When I was more observant than I am now, morning prayers recentered my thoughts for the day.  It was how my mind went from the normal chaos of waking up, to something less chaotic and more structured.  I did not expect my coffee to magically appear for free, or my pack of cigarettes to be magically refilled.  What I did expect is that if I cleared my mind and focused my thoughts on The Source of Everything, my ability to focus on the tasks of the day was better than if I didn't.  Mindfulness of G-d and G-d's Creation heightens my awareness of the world around me and improves my ability to interact with it.  It doesn't get me free stuff, including the coffee I'm heading out to buy in a few minutes because I'm too lazy to make my own, plus I like leaving the house at least once in the morning.

G-d doesn't need my prayers.  =I= need my prayers.  I also need my coffee.

JEWS ARE NOT CHRISTIANS.  If you keep comparing Jews to Christians, you will keep being disappointed.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Furry, you are soooooo 

Furry, you are soooooo  close, sooooooo close.

If you admit it might as well be, or IS, talking to yourself, and if you are NOT talking to a god, or trying to change a god's mind, THEN DO THE RIGHT THING, accept that there is no god to communicate to.

Stop banging your head against the wall because you don't want to accept that you fell for something that "felt right" to you.

I'd love to have a "god" to talk to myself to, and hope that that fictional being was monitoring my tin foil hat, that way even though I was "really talking to myself" that "god" would know that I wanted a hummer from Angelina Jolie. Since I would, in reality only be talking to myself, I am not going to pin my hopes on a god for that to happen.

You are talking to yourself, if you agree that is all you are doing, and if all it amounts to is "I want to be a good person" why would any fictional god stop you from being good?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:JEWS ARE NOT

Quote:
JEWS ARE NOT CHRISTIANS.  If you keep comparing Jews to Christians, you will keep being disappointed.

Thanks for the update. And Coke is Not Pepsi but BOTH ARE  sodas.

Christianity was Hebrew 2.0.  Islam was Hebrew 3.0 But Hebrew was Canaanite polytheism 2.0.

But all of them have the source code of buying the claim that invisible friends exist. Just like Coke and Pepsi require carbonation and MARKETING. Even though the reality is that it would not be good to treat soda as a diet. It may be fun to drink, but it certainly would not sustain you.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:JEWS ARE

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the update. And Coke is Not Pepsi but BOTH ARE  sodas.

Christianity was Hebrew 2.0.  Islam was Hebrew 3.0 But Hebrew was Canaanite polytheism 2.0.

But all of them have the source code of buying the claim that invisible friends exist. Just like Coke and Pepsi require carbonation and MARKETING. Even though the reality is that it would not be good to treat soda as a diet. It may be fun to drink, but it certainly would not sustain you.

Well stated Brian..   but I'm sure your words will just bounce off of Furry.  Her panentheistic force field will protect her....

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
One can be an atheist and be a Bronco Fan

Brian37 wrote:

Brian,

It is very hard for me to have a QB that kisses the ass of the Jesus.

The Tebow is a True Believer. They are good for 2 things. War and sports.

It matters not that the Tebow believes in fantasy.

What matters is that he wins the damn games.

He does not give up as he always has the hope. This inspires the rest of the team to bust ass.

I don't care how the Tebow wins games. he can wear the same lucky jockstarp every game, he can not shave, he can kiss the ass of the Jesus character.

However, when he does not win, his days could be numbered.

It is painful for me to watch Tebow pray to the sky.

I was not a Tebow fan, I supported Orton. As the Chiefs Packers game showed, the problem in Denver was not Orton.

Tebow fucks up all the time. One never knows if he will get his shit together before the game ends.

But he is actually completing passes these days. Time will tell if he is NFL materal or not.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian,

He does not give up as he always has the hope. This inspires the rest of the team to bust ass.

I don't care how the Tebow wins games. he can wear the same lucky jockstarp every game, he can not shave, he can kiss the ass of the Jesus character.

I was not a Tebow fan, I supported Orton. As the Chiefs Packers game showed, the problem in Denver was not Orton.

Tebow fucks up all the time. One never knows if he will get his shit together before the game ends.

But he is actually completing passes these days. Time will tell if he is NFL materal or not.

Sucks to be you, and yea, you are right. I just don't know if I could handle a Super Bowl win if the Skins QB held the trophy and kissed the ass of Jesus. I would want to celebrate and puke at the same time. To be fair to all the other religions, I would feel the same if the QB kissed the ass of Allah or Buddha or Vishnu.

I would still want to shout at the Jackass, "Hey dude, YOU, did the work! The team did the work! There was no invisible man helping you get a trip to Disney World".

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian,

Sucks to be you, and yea, you are right. I just don't know if I could handle a Super Bowl win if the Skins QB held the trophy and kissed the ass of Jesus. I would want to celebrate and puke at the same time. To be fair to all the other religions, I would feel the same if the QB kissed the ass of Allah or Buddha or Vishnu.

I would still want to shout at the Jackass, "Hey dude, YOU, did the work! The team did the work! There was no invisible man helping you get a trip to Disney World".

So true Brian.

All of the close games were actually won by Matt Prater the kicker.

Tim did run so did McGahee and Ball and other players caught passes (there are 2 people involved in a pass), the defense, and onside kicks.

It's a team thing.

Why would a god care who won a football game? Unless he was betting on it in Vegas.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian,

So true Brian.

All of the close games were actually won by Matt Prater the kicker.

Tim did run so did McGahee and Ball and other players caught passes (there are 2 people involved in a pass), the defense, and onside kicks.

It's a team thing.

Why would a god care who won a football game? Unless he was betting on it in Vegas.

God would make bets in Vegas because he would own the bookie parlors and rig the games. Did that with Adam and Eve.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Furry, you are

Brian37 wrote:

If you admit it might as well be, or IS, talking to yourself, and if you are NOT talking to a god, or trying to change a god's mind, THEN DO THE RIGHT THING, accept that there is no god to communicate to.

Let's get one thing established right here, right now.

You're not the first Atheist to try convincing me G-d doesn't exist, you will not be the last, the ones before you were not successful, the ones after you will not be successful, =you= will not be successful.

Your behavior is off-putting and borish, and when other Atheists are telling you this, it should be serving as a clue.  While I do genuinely like you and probably would hang with you in real life, my "There goes Brian again!" filter would be getting a good running.

I believe in G-d because I do.  I like cats and hate dogs.  I prefer to have sex with women, but have been known to date men from time to time, I don't like diet soda =or= light beers.  I think that baseball is the most civilized of the professional sports, but love to watch a nice hockey game or even professional (fake) wrestling.  These are the things about me which are not subject to negotiation.

But, just to humor you, because you need a good humoring it would seem --

Let's suppose for a moment that G-d does not, in fact, actually exist.  Nothing about my life would change.  I would still "talk to myself", and I would still believe that Humanity has a higher calling than merely squirting the next generation of human beings out the old birth canal and amassing as much money as possible, all the while screwing over anyone who gets in their way.  If G-d did not exist, I would invent a G-d who has commanded us to take part in that "Higher Calling" because it is important and because I happen to think that eat-the-poor and might-makes-right is morally repugnant.  But the fact that there is a religion which tries to inspire people to lead better lives -- regards of whether they believe in G-d, the designated hitter rule, OR sudden death overtime -- has convinced me that there really is a G-d out there.  It is simply self-evident because the existence or non-existence of G-d is irrelevant to whether or not Humanity needs to act in a manner consistent with the Jewish "mission" -- treating other Human Beings with the respect and dignity that people created B'tzelem Elokim (in G-d's Image) deserve.

The G-d of Judaism does NOT care whether or not you believe G-d exists.  All G-d demands of you is that you not be a putz.  If that's too hard, well, tough shit.  You have no right to be a putz anyway.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pretty smug of you to claim

Pretty smug of you to claim no one will ever convince you otherwise. I am sure you can ask ex-minister if he ever thought at one time no one would ever convince him. Maybe even Adroit who was here a few years ago as a theist has come back without his theism.

There are lots of people here who once believed, including me that no longer believe.

Now, I cant claim that I wont ever believe in the future. I HIGHLY suspect RIGHT NOW that I cant see that happening RIGHT NOW.

Now, if you put it like I did,t hat would be a better way of putting it.

"Brian, I highly suspect that I will always believe in god". That is the only thing you can say RIGHT NOW.

Now again, the reason you do believe is the same reason every human in our species evolution believed in the past and every human in our species believes today. Same reason, every single one of you are merely projecting your imagination of wanting a super hero on the world around you.

We have nothing outside evolution that produces cognition, NOTHING.

Jews are not the only humans who don't want to face that fact. Muslims and Christians as well willfully ignore that scientific fact. Along with Shintoists and Mormons and Hindus.

Will you ever stop believing? Don't know, but I do know it is possible and there are plenty of people who do.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Let's get one thing established right here, right now.

You're not the first Atheist to try convincing me G-d doesn't exist, you will not be the last, the ones before you were not successful, the ones after you will not be successful, =you= will not be successful.

Your behavior is off-putting and borish, and when other Atheists are telling you this, it should be serving as a clue.  While I do genuinely like you and probably would hang with you in real life, my "There goes Brian again!" filter would be getting a good running.

I believe in G-d because I do.  I like cats and hate dogs.  I prefer to have sex with women, but have been known to date men from time to time, I don't like diet soda =or= light beers.  I think that baseball is the most civilized of the professional sports, but love to watch a nice hockey game or even professional (fake) wrestling.  These are the things about me which are not subject to negotiation.

But, just to humor you, because you need a good humoring it would seem --

Let's suppose for a moment that G-d does not, in fact, actually exist.  Nothing about my life would change.  I would still "talk to myself", and I would still believe that Humanity has a higher calling than merely squirting the next generation of human beings out the old birth canal and amassing as much money as possible, all the while screwing over anyone who gets in their way.  If G-d did not exist, I would invent a G-d who has commanded us to take part in that "Higher Calling" because it is important and because I happen to think that eat-the-poor and might-makes-right is morally repugnant.  But the fact that there is a religion which tries to inspire people to lead better lives -- regards of whether they believe in G-d, the designated hitter rule, OR sudden death overtime -- has convinced me that there really is a G-d out there.  It is simply self-evident because the existence or non-existence of G-d is irrelevant to whether or not Humanity needs to act in a manner consistent with the Jewish "mission" -- treating other Human Beings with the respect and dignity that people created B'tzelem Elokim (in G-d's Image) deserve.

The G-d of Judaism does NOT care whether or not you believe G-d exists.  All G-d demands of you is that you not be a putz.  If that's too hard, well, tough shit.  You have no right to be a putz anyway.

Hi furry,

You wrote "All G-d demands of you is that you not be a putz".

If that's true , why did he provide such piss-poor examples of how not to be a putz in the Torah?

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The G-d of Judaism

Quote:

"Putz"? You mean asshole? Being an asshole is not a crime. Being a violent dictator is. Condoning violence to gain club members at the expense of outsiders IS. Your Abrahamic god character is the definition of a "putz". I am just frustrating you because you don't like my delivery. That is not a crime.

AND you just proved my point in that paragraph. If your god does not care if you believe, then even you don't need to believe.

NOW here is what is really psychologically doing in reality.

"Brian, I will like you even though I disagree with you". That is what you are really doing and if an atheist like me can do the same thing, that is evidence that a belief in a god is not needed to avoid being a "putz". Especially since you just said "he doesn't care if you do or not".

You are merely trying to downplay the dictator god you have. Painting him out to be friendly does not change that he is the final authority who is unmovable and unchangable which is what a dictator is. "Rule by one".

Hitchens said it best, "Name me one good deed done or good thing said a believer could do that an atheist could not."(He was saying any believer of any label)

Now, seriously, go read Victor Stingers "New Atheism" it gets into the science of WHY everyone of us have these universal traits and that labels are not a moral guide and that evolution produces the empathy and harm humans have always had.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You wrote

jcgadfly wrote:

You wrote "All G-d demands of you is that you not be a putz".

If that's true , why did he provide such piss-poor examples of how not to be a putz in the Torah?

Because we're not Christians =or= Muslims.

We aren't supposed to emulate the flawed people in the Torah, we're supposed to learn from their mistakes and NOT repeat them.  But unlike Christians and Muslims, we simply don't pretend that people are perfect.  You make a mistake, you clean up after your mistake, you learn from your mistake, you do your best not to repeat the mistake.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:The G-d

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

"Putz"? You mean asshole? Being an asshole is not a crime. Being a violent dictator is. Condoning violence to gain club members at the expense of outsiders IS. Your Abrahamic god character is the definition of a "putz". I am just frustrating you because you don't like my delivery. That is not a crime.

AND you just proved my point in that paragraph. If your god does not care if you believe, then even you don't need to believe.

That's correct.  Judaism is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT a "belief" religion.  It is a DO religion.  What matters is what you DO, not what you BELIEVE.  If you are a mensch, you're a mensch regardless of whether or not you believe in G-d.  If you aren't a Jew, and you're a mensch, Judaism says you're a "more righteous" person than a Jew.

And no, I don't like your delivery.  It's very tiring and I'm very upset that redneF was so tired of it that he left.  I think you mean well, but I think you need to listen to the people who are criticizing your delivery.  Flies, honey, vinegar and all that.

Quote:
NOW here is what is really psychologically doing in reality.

"Brian, I will like you even though I disagree with you". That is what you are really doing and if an atheist like me can do the same thing, that is evidence that a belief in a god is not needed to avoid being a "putz". Especially since you just said "he doesn't care if you do or not".

Yes, you're absolutely right.  But then, Judaism is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT a "belief" religion.  It is a DO religion.

Quote:
You are merely trying to downplay the dictator god you have. Painting him out to be friendly does not change that he is the final authority who is unmovable and unchangable which is what a dictator is. "Rule by one".

Gravity really does suck for you, doesn't it?  It really sucks that Gravity doesn't care whether or not you believe in Gravity.  It must be SO FUCKING HARD having to live with the Law of Gravity each and every single day or your life.

Quote:
Hitchens said it best, "Name me one good deed done or good thing said a believer could do that an atheist could not."(He was saying any believer of any label)

Yes, and Hitchens is 100% correct.

Gasp!