Biggest black holes found.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Very cool article thank you

Very cool article Smiling thank you for sharing.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very nice!They didn't say

Very nice!

They didn't say how long the exposure lasted, but I'm surprised to see that much motion.  That is truly one heck of a huge black hole to be whipping stars around it that fast.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Very

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Very nice!

They didn't say how long the exposure lasted, but I'm surprised to see that much motion.  That is truly one heck of a huge black hole to be whipping stars around it that fast.

Lol, I'm sure that's the artistic representation, cute though.  I'm sure the discovery was done using radio telescopes, I haven't actually read on it and I could be wrong, but I would be SHOCKED if that was an actual real picture in the visible spectrum. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Quite an amazing find, and

Quite an amazing find, and that picture is awesome.  As for whether it's an actual picture, here is what the description says upon looking close, "Photo By Gemini Observatory, AURA artwork by Lynette Cook via Nature."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To clear it up, accompanying

To clear it up, accompanying the exact same image @ Science Daily's article on the same subject;

Quote:
An artist's concept of stars moving in the central regions of a giant elliptical galaxy that harbors a supermassive black hole. (Credit: Gemini Observatory/AURA artwork by Lynette Cook)

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Quite an

Sapient wrote:

Quite an amazing find, and that picture is awesome.  As for whether it's an actual picture, here is what the description says upon looking close, "Photo By Gemini Observatory, AURA artwork by Lynette Cook via Nature."

If you drill down further into the image, they eventually admit it's a artists rendering of the black hole and orbiting stars not something based on a real image.

(I should actually click "Submit"after writing a post, instead of writing the post, falling asleep with the lights on, then waking up and clicking "Submit"hours later ...)

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol.

lol.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:lol. I was in

Vastet wrote:
lol.

I was in California on business -- I didn't manage to adjust to the different time zone.  If anything, I seemed to be getting more and more out of whack.  I'd wake up too early, then be so exhausted I'd fall asleep.  Each time this happened I was even more exhausted the next day, so I fell asleep earlier, then woke up earlier still.