Scientists Make Key Discovery About the Atmosphere of Early Earth

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scientists Make Key Discovery About the Atmosphere of Early Earth

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Nov. 30, 2011)— Scientists in the New York Center for Astrobiology at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have used the oldest minerals on Earth to reconstruct the atmospheric conditions present on Earth very soon after its birth. The findings, which appear in the Dec. 1 edition of the journal Nature, are the first direct evidence of what the ancient atmosphere of the planet was like soon after its formation and directly challenge years of research on the type of atmosphere out of which life arose on the planet.

Note for theists:

Quote:
The results do not, however, run contrary to existing theories on life's journey from anaerobic to aerobic organisms. The results quantify the nature of gas molecules containing carbon, hydrogen, and sulfur in the earliest atmosphere, but they shed no light on the much later rise of free oxygen in the air. There was still a significant amount of time for oxygen to build up in the atmosphere through biologic mechanisms, according to Trail.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Full

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lies all lies. The early

Lies all lies. The early atmosphere was made of cotton candy. You know it, you just hide behind science.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cotton candy is a fluid or a

Cotton candy is a fluid or a solid, not a gas. Therefore it could never be an atmosphere. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cotton candy is like the

Cotton candy is like the Force.  It has a dark side, a light side, and it sticks everything together and makes a giant mess.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."