Does this software allow you to block people's posts?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does this software allow you to block people's posts?

Can this be done on this forum?

I'm desperate to annihilate a certain RRS poster's rabid insanity from my world...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: Did

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Did you earn that"Troll" badge based upon how well you are "getting along with everyone" ?   Surely you aren't blind to that overwhelming irony ?

I forget how he earned the troll badge but he earned it.  I did see over time he seemed to be trying to interact with the community in a positive manner and it seemed the good outweighed the bad.  But Furry, you should keep in mind that you should continue to interact with us as you would want to be interacted with.  

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Did you earn that"Troll" badge based upon how well you are "getting along with everyone" ?   Surely you aren't blind to that overwhelming irony ?

I forget how he earned the troll badge but he earned it.  I did see over time he seemed to be trying to interact with the community in a positive manner and it seemed the good outweighed the bad.  But Furry, you should keep in mind that you should continue to interact with us as you would want to be interacted with.  

I am working harder at expressing myself minus any inflammatory style as such hostile language unfortunately seems to become the target of attention at the expense of my actual message.  That doesn't mean that I am forfeiting a direct approach.   I will observe decorum but I won't allow myself to become someone's emotional punching bag.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:I forget how

Sapient wrote:

I forget how he earned the troll badge but he earned it. 

Badge or no badge, I take offense when someone repeatedly encourages me to blow my brains out.    Depression is part of my personality, I can even joke about it to a certain degree but I saw nothing in her comments that even remotely suggested that she wasn't being serious.  I still haven't.

(  If she apologizes for that one specific incident ...and nothing more ...or at least shows some measure of contrition I will gladly call a truce and let such matters drop.  I have no desire to wage an indefinite war.  I admit to my own willing participation in the conflict and offer my apologies to FurryCatHerder. )

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:
You might not realize that your statements are extremely threatening, but a lot of people who have a hard time with "If you treat me nice, I'll treat you nice.  If you treat me poorly, I'll treat you poorly" don't realize that they can be perceived as a major threat.

Didn't you just threaten me using those very words ?  Are you daft ?

No, that is simply NOT a threat.  I don't know which planet you're from (honest), but trying to get an on-going conflict to wind-down and letting the other party(ies) know they are being given an invitation to wind-down a conflict is simply =not= a threat on any planet I've ever lived on.  It's obvious I can give as good as I get, and you're being offered a chance for something a lot better.

I mean, I'm threatening to be =nice= to you as much as I'm threatening to be =mean=.  I don't see you screaming bloody hell that I'm going to be nice to you if you're nice in exchange.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:
You might not realize that your statements are extremely threatening, but a lot of people who have a hard time with "If you treat me nice, I'll treat you nice.  If you treat me poorly, I'll treat you poorly" don't realize that they can be perceived as a major threat.

Didn't you just threaten me using those very words ?  Are you daft ?

No, that is simply NOT a threat.  I don't know which planet you're from (honest), but trying to get an on-going conflict to wind-down and letting the other party(ies) know they are being given an invitation to wind-down a conflict is simply =not= a threat on any planet I've ever lived on.  It's obvious I can give as good as I get, and you're being offered a chance for something a lot better.

I mean, I'm threatening to be =nice= to you as much as I'm threatening to be =mean=.  I don't see you screaming bloody hell that I'm going to be nice to you if you're nice in exchange.

Yes, I apologize for stirring the pot. Please see the above post.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Good let's go back to

Good let's go back to begging redneF to come back and talk some more shit about Capt Pineapple.

redneF come back and block Brian37.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Brian37

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Furry, you know you are onto something when you have a troll badge as a Jew on an atheist site. If you can be relaxed about that, I really don't get what the problem was.

I hold no ill will towards Red. I simply think he might not simply want to chalk this up to a personality conflict.

But I think you've got the right attitude here. Bob is the good cop and I am the bad cop, and you are in the interview room. Strictly from a debate perspective, he's the cop saying "I don't know how much longer I can hold my partner off" And I am the bad cop "Let me at em!"

Bob and I speak on a daily basis. He has been my best friend through all sorts of shit. He especially got me through my mom's stays at the hospital when I was really depressed. He got me through the death of my cat and my mom's dog. And he cares enough to call me every day almost. So we are a package deal, only in the sense that we are friends. Not in his mod hat role. If he ever needed to step back or bitch slap me from a reff's perspective, he would.

Now that this love fest is out of the way, which form of torture would you like, brass knuckles, sodium pententethol(sp) ? I've run out of BBQ kittens though.

You're another one of the people here that I like.  You, Bob Spence, Atheistextremist and I forget, are people who seem to be the more intelligent of the bunch.  If I thought redneF was beyond redemption, or whatever, I would take your side in the squabble, but redneF seems like a decent sort of guy, now that he and I have gotten past whatever we needed to get passed.

My only comment is that honey works better than vinegar and "vinegar" seems to be one of the more common condiments here at times.

As for the troll badge, Sapient said he was going to remove it, so maybe some day he'll get around to doing so.

In what context does honey work better than vinegar? That is important too. I think when you explain up front what people should expect from you, then the cannot complain if they continue to deal with you. This didn't start because I cuss. I would think that a website with no cussing that advocates "death to America" is sick. Merely hearing a word you personally dont use or like, is not a crime, much less violent.

Plus the absurd concept of protecting an all powerful god by demanding no one pick on it? How can you hurt an all powerful god? If one is going to claim that. I always get the image of a midget standing spread eagle in front of the Terminator shouting "Dont hit my god, you might hurt him".

In the context of this website, which is set up mainly for atheists, that blasphemy is perfectly in context. And it is done in the context of debate. So people know going in even before their first post, what they are getting into.

Now, in the context outside this website, then again, it depends. Funerals and weddings are a no no, holidays with family, and I certainly wouldn't cuss at an opera.

Rednef knew long before this my style and probably was reading my posts before his first posts. Much like theists do when they first come here. I bet you did that too. I bet you didn't simply pick this place and start posting off the bat. I didn't do that even with my first atheist website I joined.

And no, I do not expect you to chose sides. I only got animated with him because he jumped on me because he didn't like my style. And I also didn't appreciate him equating me to a real fundy bigot who has protested military funerals(Fred Phelps) a man who WOULD if given power, outlaw dissent to his homophobia and would have both Rednef and I arrested for even merely saying there is no god.

I don't stay angry at people either, I don't hold grudges. I would say that if he needs to block my posts to get by, that's what he needs to do. I don't understand why he simply couldn't pass my posts when he saw my avatar, but I do see Brian's side that he has in trying to keep the atheist community diverse.

I cant say he will ever come around to seeing my point of view, but the reality in life is, sometimes people don't get along. So this really isn''t a us vs them issue as much as it is a personality difference. He's not a bad guy, he just doesn't understand me.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Good, now

Sapient wrote:
Good, now that rednef can block posts like that, I expect him back.

No. Too little. Too late.

And you're not listening. Half the obstacle in 'problem solving' is admitting there's a problem.....to begin with.

You've not gotten to that stage yet, for whatever reason.

Had the forum software had that feature, it probably would have prolonged the inevitable, because I wouldn't have to wade through the walls of quoted posts of Brian37's where he quote an entire wall because he's too fucking lazy to break apart posts like the rest of us, so he can go on his insane tangents and rants based off of one sentence, or even one single word that are sometimes not even germane to the conversation.

The great thing about debating in forums in writing is that you can't escape what you wrote in black and white, but what opens the door to trolls like Caposkia being able to try and get away with denying that he was beaten, is to allege that he never was, and that puts the onus on you to provide the evidence to back your claim.

It's difficult enough to do when it's just between 2 or 3 posters, but when a moron like Brian37 does what he does, the posts you need to 'prove' that Caposkia is not correct in not getting beaten, is buried in pages and pages of Brian37's insanity and bad posting habits.

BobSpence wrote:
Please, relax a bit.

I am relaxed, Bob. That's precisely what took so long for me to finally come to the conclusions of why I can't be on any team that has Brian37 for a member.

I'm an extremely patient person.

Just not for long....lol

Ktulu wrote:
When did the shit hit the fan between these two?

The shit has been brewing since Day 1, with Brian37's utter ignorance on virtually everything from business and interpersonal relations, to just about anything in an encyclopedia.

When he won't even grant the painfully obvious axioms like 'supply and demand', or 'what the market will bear', when you're debating business, you're dealing with a complete imbecile.

It's like arguing with a mentally retarded 6 yr old.

Brian37 epitomizes everything I would never want to be in this lifetime. I will reject any and all allegations that I'm being too hard on him. I'm what I am today, and what I'll be tomorrow, for being much harder on myself, than I could ever be on him, because he just doesn't have the potential, nor the discipline.

So, this is what I call an 'intervention'.

Maybe nobody has ever told Brian37 the cold hard facts, but he's a waste.

What really set this off is Caposkia once again using the tactic to place the burden of proof on me that I did prove him wrong (as I claimed), which would have me on a wild goose chase wading through the pages and pages of complete horseshit posts of Brian37's because he takes every bait that Caposkia throws at Brian37.

This is a common forum debate tactic. Padding posts to bury your defeats as far back in a thread as possible. Except that Caposkia baits Brian37 into doing the padding for him, with Brian37's patented insanity of 'Quote A Wall Of Post' in response to 1 itty bitty thing.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15111?page=52#comment-364191

I have little doubt that the main difference in Brian37's style of argument is that he used a magic marker to add a 'NOT' to his 'God Does Exist' T Shirt, as well as his rhetoric and hyperbole of 'absolute' claims, when the majority of intelligent 'atheists' understand that when we can't know everything, we are really arguing about probabilities.

Brian37 won't grant that.

He is being just as dogmatic as he probably was when he was a theist. This adds credibility to the theory that 'atheism' can be a religion and a dogma, and undermines 'Positive Atheism' as a whole.

These kind of people have serious issues. I can spot them a mile away, and I can play them like a fiddle.

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I baited him with one comment that could have nothing in common with how he misconstrued it, and brought his issues out to the forefront, for everyone to see.

Delusional thinking and paranoia.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15111?page=52#comment-364316

"I don't get physical with people. This isn't high school and we are not in a street gang. If you were face to face with me and you laid one hand on me you'd be in the back of a cop car. Adults don't settle beefs with fists. Words are one thing, but to even imply violence, is beyond the scope.

You can call me a dick, an asshole, whatever. But you will not get away with threatening me with violence. Do so and I will call the authorities and report you.

If anyone is taking this too far you are. This is a debate to me, nothing more. If it gets a believer to snap out of their delusion, great. If it does not, at least it gives both sides a venue to speak their mind uncensored.

I am going to let this veiled threat slide because I think you simply need a break to calm down. But do not ever threaten me again." : Brian37

Brian37 is now at the point where he thinks he has some control, except that he's out of control completely (he thinks he's controlling whether I get to 'slide' or not) and he's now giving me orders (to not ever threaten him again, or else!!).

It's clear to me that a lot of people would knee jerk and defend and sympathize with Brian37, and go with the best defense (a strong offense) and attack me, since defending him would be more difficult. That's human nature for the vast majority of people. Sympathy.

It's obvious I don't need it, or want it. So, it manifests itself with circling the wagons to defend the one who appears to be being 'preyed' upon.

Kinda like defending a god, dontcha think?

Doesn't actually matter if (by and large) the 'god' is a douche, the impulse is to defend the 'prey' against attack, even if the 'attacker' is 'right' in their 'attacks'.

The bottom line is that I'm logical and rational in how Brian37 actually is, and what he represents as a 'team member'. Exaggeration is not needed. It would hardly be possible.

I'm not defending myself to any of you, because it's not something I actually want or need. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Speaking out against religious bullshit has become valuable to me, but only to some extent. Only because I'm feeling generous. I did without it quite well, and it would actually make my life easier and more personally and financially rewarding if I just walked away from 'Positive Atheism', which I'm actually going to contemplate.

I'm actually lucky in that I can stay in bed and still make money, but, I can make more money when I'm focused on work instead of staying in bed, or 'Positive Atheism'.

Here's the other type of moron that I don't want to be associated with. Atheists who build nothing but men of straw with 'straws' that weren't alleged, or stated, and aren't even germane to the topic.

Argumentum from the Painfully Obvious

Tapey wrote:
This is a forum

Duhhh...

Tapey wrote:
...anyone is free to join.

Duhhh....

Tapey wrote:
Brian is not breaking any rules

Didn't say that he did. Duhhh...

Tapey wrote:
As such your only options are ignore him, deal with your issues or leave.

That's exactly what I stated I would do. Duhhh....

Tapey wrote:
There are always going to be people who annoy you no matter where you go, not matter the forum.

Duhhhh...

Tapey wrote:
If you cannot handle that...

I stated exactly how I do handle it. Duhhh....

Tapey wrote:
...maybe you should avoid the internet in future.

That does not follow.

When it allows me to do what I want and eliminate those I don't want to associate with, so easily, why would I want to avoid the incredible power that it affords me?

I can make you clowns disappear from my world. Just like Paris Hilton and how I will with Brian37.

Are you and Brian37 related?

Because, just for the record, dimwits like you only add to my reasons to want to look for a different team, to fight against religious bullshit.

I've gone hammer and tongs against a number of 'team members' on this site, probably the hardest with Vastet, but, aside from the topics where I think he's clear off his nut (in personal opinion) he's earned my respect as an extremely intelligent person.

Gauche wrote:
 I think I would use greasemonkey to block someone's posts, unless you have Opera or Google Chrome. I'm pretty sure they have native support for running scripts.
 Yeah, that's what I would do. I tested it.

Maybe this is the silver lining for the RRS in this whole debacle.

Now people will be able to block out 10's of thousands of posts of sheer stupidity.

Sapient wrote:
Oh and... I don't want to lose you!

You've lost more than you know, Sapient.

And I'm not talking about me.

You're losing many intelligent atheists who lurk here before (they do as I did, and join with reckless abandon and begin investing with this 'team') they leap.

I've branched out in a number of forums and chat rooms, and invited other really bright atheists to the RRS, and they were turned off for the very reasons I bring up, and that you aren't willing to acknowledge are something that needs to be addressed.

Obviously, there's a differing of opinion. All I'm willing to do is bring it up a bit, and then I'll let it go.

I don't need the headache, or the argument, and you're free to do what you want, even if it's undermining you personally, the RRS, and Positive Atheism as a whole.

I agree with you fully on Cpt_.

And I've been going hammer and tongs at her with her clear and obvious double standard of being 'objective' and 'scientific'.

I suspect that she could very well be feigning having become an atheist, and using this as a tactic to try and *cough* add validity to fallacious theories that atheists are every bit as 'dogmatic' and 'irrational' in their 'beliefs' as the most rabid theist.

She fails at the 'get go'. But she's relentless. And it's tiresome. She would not last till lunchtime on some SAE and ASME type sites that I'm a member on. They have very strict policies on debating spuriously, with blatant double standards, and contradictory reasoning. It's just not tolerated. 3 strikes and you're out, permanently. IP banned and blocked.

Like I told you just recently in a PM, I have nothing but respect and admiration for what it's cost you personally in your own personal quest for Positive Atheism, and that you've done is something I couldn't and wouldn't have done, which is lay it all on the line.

But, that doesn't change that I think it could have been done differently, without all the damage, and netted you better results in the long run, all around.

Unless you'd rather I leave ASAP, I'd really just like to finish off a few pending arguments that I promised to do in my 1 on 1 debates, to show where I think I've clearly won the debate among these fallacious apologist polemics.

Just to be clear, I'm not in any way upset with you at all. If I'm upset at anyone, it's that I didn't just leave the RRS when I first came across Brian37 in my first few posts.

That was my fault, and I have no one to blame but myself for that. The reason I stayed was because of the exceptional content from some of the founding and early members of the RRS, and (ironically) Bob Spence, who is now in defense mode lobbing attacks at me...lol.

I'm not angry with him either, just for the record. I admire both his knowledge and his intelligence, and even a bit envious of how succinct he can argue and how well he can articulate concepts that are difficult to condense.

I just don't think his tolerance and defenses of Brian37 are a virtue that I would not want to mimic this aspect of him. That's just enabling.

Vastet wrote:
I will miss you Red, should you decide it's in your best interest to leave. I understand where you're coming from. Do what's best for you.

Thanks, Vastet.

And everyone else, that can understand that I have principles that I cannot go against. They are what defines me, and I won't go against them, no matter how I or others might feel emotionally, because I think they are objective, sound, and valid reasons.

I like and respect a lot of you guys and gals. Furry in particular has quickly become someone I like and respect very much, even though she's a feisty theist.

I think that's the 'moral' of this whole story, it's about being objective. This about about how people are at their very 'core', and not about what 'team' they're on, or what they believe about 'god'.

This is about 'core' issues. And I'm at odds with others, and it seems like what the RRS will tolerate. Brian37 defends the way he is, as do Sapient and others.

Something (for me) needs to change drastically (because of my principles), and I'll never have a problem being the one that gets off the 'island', even if I have to vote myself off.

That's the long and the short of it, in case any of you were really interested...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was a pleasure crossing

It was a pleasure crossing swords and swinging them side by side. I respect your intelligence as well, even if I do have opinions diametrically opposed to yours on some subjects. Perhaps we'll do it again sometime. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
awkward....  I get the fact

awkward....  I get the fact that you have strong principles... and I'm willing to let the judgment call on Brian37 slide, it's a subjective opinion and you're very much entitled to it.  I just don't understand why you feel compelled to leave the forum because of it.  

Personally, if I ever got this worked up about someone I dislike, I would see it as a personal weakness and challenge to overcome.  I always try to understand, and more so when there is conflict.  

In the end, you will do what you think suits you best, but it comes down to what you expect to take away from this forum.  For me it's a chance to learn, and engage irrational people.  Sometimes they are theists, sometimes they just aren't worth bothering with.  For the record, I also had a run in with Brian back when I started.  It was about the style of rhetoric of a certain atheists video.  I commented how it seemed militant and may be misunderstood by people sitting on the fence.  Myself preferring a more rational and less emotional style.  Brian used that opportunity to "educate" me on how we're not militant enough and some other stuff... I forget the rest and it's really not worth digging up.  The point of this boring recount is to mention that I have since rarely engaged or read most of his posts.  As time progressed I have learned a bit about Brian's personal life and challenges and having a bigger picture helped me understand where he is coming from.  

I concentrated on a few debates that I thought went well, and I have gained a considerable amount of information on philosophy, apologists and freethinking in general.  It helped me question my position, and to me, that's worth more then any personal annoyance.  I take that away from this forum, from time to time, there is the one off debate that actually makes me think.  Has staying power and helps me focus my intellect for a few days.  Everything else is just the filler that keeps the "family" together to enable this environment.

I hope you stick around, for what it's worth, but if you don't, take care.

P.S.  Do you by chance know anything about TG Baker?  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Speaking out against

Quote:
Speaking out against religious bullshit has become valuable to me,

Your words not mine. So it's ok when you do it, but not when I do it?

This has never been about me "undermining" YOU. You are like when the Dems told Ralf Nader to step aside so Al Gore could win. His response was something to the effect of "If you cant win on your own, maybe you shouldn't be in the race".

Focus on what you think you do best and don't worry about me. Brian also is a big boy too. I have no doubt Brian is going to do what is within the best interest of this website and I do not think even I could hold him back.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:FurryCatHerder

Sapient wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

As for the troll badge, Sapient said he was going to remove it, so maybe some day he'll get around to doing so.

I remembered when I saw Brian37's comment earlier.

See, Brian =is= useful for something, even if he likes the Redskins Eye-wink

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Sapient wrote:

I forget how he earned the troll badge but he earned it. 

I'm going to make my tits my avatar one of these days ...

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Badge or no badge, I take offense when someone repeatedly encourages me to blow my brains out.    Depression is part of my personality, I can even joke about it to a certain degree but I saw nothing in her comments that even remotely suggested that she wasn't being serious.  I still haven't.

(  If she apologizes for that one specific incident ...and nothing more ...or at least shows some measure of contrition I will gladly call a truce and let such matters drop.  I have no desire to wage an indefinite war.  I admit to my own willing participation in the conflict and offer my apologies to FurryCatHerder. )

I'm sorry -- I don't remember what provoked it, but it was definitely across the line and I never should have said it regardless of anything you might have done.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:I'm

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I'm sorry -- I don't remember what provoked it, but it was definitely across the line and I never should have said it regardless of anything you might have done.

Thank you Furry.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
red,I've been on the

red,

I've been on the Interwebs since long before there was the World Wide Waste.  Disagreements like these started long before the first web browser was pointed at the first on-line forum.  Back in the day, the Internet was just for "professionals" and grad students.  And then they let undergrads on, and then AOL, and then all the other riff-raff, and life on the Internet hasn't been the same since a couple bucks a month let's you get on-line and tell everyone how unbelievably stupid you are.  I've not written this in a while, but "Volume times intelligence is a constant".  There are now =billions= of people on the Internet.  When I first got on, I doubt there were even a million people, total, with Internet access of any sort.

Here's the deal -- from my perspective, none of you present a new and original argument that's going to convince me Atheism is right for me.  So, if the singular goal is enlightening the benighted by getting them to become Atheists, this entire website is an epic fail.  If you (red) or anyone else here thinks you're doing anything to increase the ranks of people who are dumping their belief in "irrational religion", no, not seeing it.  Willing to be convinced otherwise, but just not seeing any evidence =and= not seeing any evidence that this is an objective that can or might or whatever happen.

You wrote that you think Brian37 took a marker and wrote "NOT" on top of his "G-d Does Exist" (sorry, guys ...) t-shirt.  It's been my observation that a good percentage of Atheists are completely and totally incapable of even =remotely= entertaining the possibility that G-d might, perhaps exist, for some microscopically short period of time, as a complete and total long-shot possibility.  I mean, even less likely to exist than the Redskins are to win the next 3 Superbowls in a row.  Or 5.  Or 10.  There aren't enough years left -- like, "Which is more likely -- G-d exists, or the Redskins win the next BILLION Superbowls in a row?"  More than just Brian would say that impossible winning streak is more likely than G-d's existence.  Show of hands -- I'm right, right?

I've been on religious forums where members of one religion bait members of another religion into entertaining the notion that their religious beliefs are wrong -- just "supposing for a moment" as it were -- and then they jump all over them like a hypothetical possibility, or agreeing for the sake of argument, is the same as reality.  I can understand why someone can be dogmatic in their beliefs with people like that around.  I take it as a given.

Here's the question -- what do you actually wish to accomplish by being here, and what do you think leaving is going to do to help you achieve that goal?

Nothing you've written about Brian37 is particularly unique to Brian, at least from my perspective.  He's not the only person who does "GIANT WALL OF POSTS!" or "Bury our losses!" or my favorite -- gang up on the Jew, then when she doesn't respond to one of your posts, claim she can't address your argument.  I love that one.  Very creative.  NOT!

You can't change the system, or the forum, by quitting.  You've said your bit, you've pleaded your case, now do something with it.  There are a number of people on this thread who will be sad to see you go, so at least you know you've got the potential to maybe do something with that.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

red,

I've been on the Interwebs since long before there was the World Wide Waste.  Disagreements like these started long before the first web browser was pointed at the first on-line forum.  Back in the day, the Internet was just for "professionals" and grad students.  And then they let undergrads on, and then AOL, and then all the other riff-raff, and life on the Internet hasn't been the same since a couple bucks a month let's you get on-line and tell everyone how unbelievably stupid you are.  I've not written this in a while, but "Volume times intelligence is a constant".  There are now =billions= of people on the Internet.  When I first got on, I doubt there were even a million people, total, with Internet access of any sort.

Here's the deal -- from my perspective, none of you present a new and original argument that's going to convince me Atheism is right for me.  So, if the singular goal is enlightening the benighted by getting them to become Atheists, this entire website is an epic fail.  If you (red) or anyone else here thinks you're doing anything to increase the ranks of people who are dumping their belief in "irrational religion", no, not seeing it.  Willing to be convinced otherwise, but just not seeing any evidence =and= not seeing any evidence that this is an objective that can or might or whatever happen.

You wrote that you think Brian37 took a marker and wrote "NOT" on top of his "G-d Does Exist" (sorry, guys ...) t-shirt.  It's been my observation that a good percentage of Atheists are completely and totally incapable of even =remotely= entertaining the possibility that G-d might, perhaps exist, for some microscopically short period of time, as a complete and total long-shot possibility.  I mean, even less likely to exist than the Redskins are to win the next 3 Superbowls in a row.  Or 5.  Or 10.  There aren't enough years left -- like, "Which is more likely -- G-d exists, or the Redskins win the next BILLION Superbowls in a row?"  More than just Brian would say that impossible winning streak is more likely than G-d's existence.  Show of hands -- I'm right, right?

I've been on religious forums where members of one religion bait members of another religion into entertaining the notion that their religious beliefs are wrong -- just "supposing for a moment" as it were -- and then they jump all over them like a hypothetical possibility, or agreeing for the sake of argument, is the same as reality.  I can understand why someone can be dogmatic in their beliefs with people like that around.  I take it as a given.

Here's the question -- what do you actually wish to accomplish by being here, and what do you think leaving is going to do to help you achieve that goal?

Nothing you've written about Brian37 is particularly unique to Brian, at least from my perspective.  He's not the only person who does "GIANT WALL OF POSTS!" or "Bury our losses!" or my favorite -- gang up on the Jew, then when she doesn't respond to one of your posts, claim she can't address your argument.  I love that one.  Very creative.  NOT!

You can't change the system, or the forum, by quitting.  You've said your bit, you've pleaded your case, now do something with it.  There are a number of people on this thread who will be sad to see you go, so at least you know you've got the potential to maybe do something with that.

Furry, this website is not an epic fail at all. Now you are new here, and as much as I like you, it usually is not a good idea to jump into the middle of a pit bull fight, like you said, disagreements have always happened on the net, and you are right in that they always will. This is not even the first nuclear explosion I have seen either. The last one I saw was over a rebel flag and I was the one as a mod trying to play mediator. Brian does not need advice about how to handle this site, and if he wants it he asks for it. In this case with Red and I he has done what he feels best and that is all any of us can ask.

Now, with you, I am not picking on the Jew. Lets get something straight here. I fight all god claims, not just you or the Jewish label. I've also had it out with supporters of Palestine trying to convey to them that I would support a state if it's goal wasn't a theocracy or to wipe out Israel. I have criticized Israel for it's far too often over reaction. I have criticized even non religious woo in the form of even si fi woo in claims of the transporter being a possibility.

I do not think any label of religious or political stripe deserves a taboo ever. No human deserves a monopoly on what can or cannot be criticized. No human deserves a right to say "never pick on me because I am the only one who knows what suffering is'.

Violence and suffering, much less the mere arguments on the net, have been going on since the start of our species. Rednef and I are just two people who happened to lock horns. It happens. But I am not special, he is not special, and neither are you.

Believe me I don't just pick on your claims for sport and especially not because of the claims of some believers and some atheists that somehow by doing that I am a bigot. If I was, I wouldn't be talking to you at all. I'd say you'd find more bigots in Palestine and Iran, but you most certainly cannot falsely say "pick on the Jew" to even imply such.

EVERY human deserves the dignity of safety in not fearing the physical harm of others, Red, You, me. But our claims as CLAIMS ONLY, do not. If we valued taboos, you wouldn't be here posting what you did just now. Other politically correct theists websites and even some atheist websites do that. This one does not. You'd get banned from the start many other places. So to claim I pick on you for sport is silly. Please learn to separate yourself from your claims, that will do you a lot of good in understanding that we are merely just as human as you.

It seems this issue has been settled. Red is happy, I am happy that I don't have to hear ultimatums or be equated falsely to real bigoted nuts. And believe me, out of all the atheists sites you could hang out at, I have no doubt that this one is the most tolerant and forgiving you can ever find.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Here's

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Here's the deal -- from my perspective, none of you present a new and original argument that's going to convince me Atheism is right for me.  So, if the singular goal is enlightening the benighted by getting them to become Atheists, this entire website is an epic fail.

This site has led thousands of people away from religion.  If you view it this way then it is you who is admitting to being closed minded and it is you who is epic failing.

Quote:
If you (red) or anyone else here thinks you're doing anything to increase the ranks of people who are dumping their belief in "irrational religion", no, not seeing it.  Willing to be convinced otherwise, but just not seeing any evidence =and= not seeing any evidence that this is an objective that can or might or whatever happen.

This is what makes you a troll.  

Thanks RRS, I'm back.  <--- objective proof posted a day or two ago

Quote:

That sounds about right.  The Redskins are more likely to win a billion Superbowls in a row than Yahweh existing.  If you're talking about a generic deistic God... I'll give you this... your god is just as likely as a purple snarfwidget and invisble pink unicorn that created everything we know today.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Here's the deal -- from my perspective, none of you present a new and original argument that's going to convince me Atheism is right for me.  So, if the singular goal is enlightening the benighted by getting them to become Atheists, this entire website is an epic fail.

This site has led thousands of people away from religion.  If you view it this way then it is you who is admitting to being closed minded and it is you who is epic failing.

Quote:
If you (red) or anyone else here thinks you're doing anything to increase the ranks of people who are dumping their belief in "irrational religion", no, not seeing it.  Willing to be convinced otherwise, but just not seeing any evidence =and= not seeing any evidence that this is an objective that can or might or whatever happen.

I think you paid that person to magically show up a day ago just to disprove what I formed as a belief many days ago Eye-wink

For the most part, I stand by what I said.  There's simply too much yelling and "challenging" and not enough educating.  And being open-minded goes both ways -- more in the next paragraph.

Quote:

That sounds about right.  The Redskins are more likely to win a billion Superbowls in a row than Yahweh existing.  If you're talking about a generic deistic God... I'll give you this... your god is just as likely as a purple snarfwidget and invisble pink unicorn that created everything we know today.

That doesn't sound very open-minded to me Eye-wink

I mean that seriously -- what would you require for proof?  Disembodied voice speaking from the clouds?  An impossible number of consecutive football wins is apparently not proof enough, so "miracles of any sort" seems straight out.

I've read the Atheist Manifesto -- the god Sam Harris doesn't believe in, I don't believe in either.  And yet -- I'm not an Atheist.  Is there a god-concept that you and Sam Harris would believe in, based on =not= fitting the description of the god Sam Harris doesn't believe in in the Atheist Manifesto?  Any set of divine attributes that still allows Free Will (I assume you would construct a god that allows Free Will ...) that you'd accept, or is "impossible" the only answer?

And G-d's name isn't even =close= to "Yahweh".  HTH.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ouch, you know, just what I would expect from a Eagles fan. Low low low. DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW, DO YOU?

I have my hand under my chin doing a Curly from the Stooges! Just because the Skins suck, just because the truth hurts, doesn't mean you have to point it out. You you you you green bird lover you! City of brotherly love my patoot, not when it comes to the NFC East. You didn't have to agree with her on the Skins, no matter how true the unlikely of them winning a Super Bowl is right now.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian,I'm nominally a Saints

Brian,

I'm nominally a Saints fan.  When your overall team record sucks as badly as the Saint's record sucks, then you can hang your head in shame.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:And

FurryCatHerder wrote:

this to me is a prime example of why many people here do not like you.  these kinds of pedantic little jabs that accomplish nothing, other than trying to make others feel like they're outside of some body of knowledge that is by nature incomprehensible to them (and it isn't).

every scholar and most clerics, christian and jewish, i've ever had the pleasure of listening and speaking to agree that "yahweh" is as good a pronunciation of the unvowelled yod-heh-vav-heh as any, and better than most.  we don't know how it was vowelled.  but since you're not only jewish, but apparently a scholar and a rabbi yourself, tell us how to pronounce it properly.  or are we on the wrong track entirely?  should we go with elohim?  adonai?  hashem?  ein sof?  el?  jah?  or are you one of those kabbalists who think god has a secret name no one can know?

any of those choices comes closer to the name of the hebrew god than "g-d," but ultimately it doesn't matter to any of us, because you can name an imaginary being anything you want.  for all we care, it can be slappy mcfuddrucker.  so, once again, your remark was nothing but a superior, pedantic aside that had no relevance to anyone you're talking to here, and that is one of the reasons why so many are irritated with you.  which is ironic, since jewish humor and discourse in general are known to be self-deprecating.  superiority is much more suitable for christians.   your conversion is showing... 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

I'm nominally a Saints fan.  When your overall team record sucks as badly as the Saint's record sucks, then you can hang your head in shame.

This is even more evidence that there is no god. Back in the 80s whenever we played the Saints, it was an automatic win. I swear Micheal J Fox used a DeLorean to take the sucky Saints to the future and swap their uniforms with the Skins today. There was no moon landing and the moon is made of cheese, FYI. And I was the third man on the grassy knoll.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:FurryCatHerder

iwbiek wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

this to me is a prime example of why many people here do not like you.  these kinds of pedantic little jabs that accomplish nothing, other than trying to make others feel like they're outside of some body of knowledge that is by nature incomprehensible to them (and it isn't).

And this is how I know you got your degree in Jew-ology.

Write down some Hebrew "BE" verbs.

Write down the four letter name of G-d.

See anything?

It's not a name =or= a word, you silly goose.

Yahweh, my unhairy ass.  We don't even have the letter "W".

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:FurryCatHerder

Brian37 wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian,

This is even more evidence that there is no god. Back in the 80s whenever we played the Saints, it was an automatic win. I swear Micheal J Fox used a DeLorean to take the sucky Saints to the future and swap their uniforms with the Skins today. There was no moon landing and the moon is made of cheese, FYI. And I was the third man on the grassy knoll.

I remember when practically =every= team that played the Saints had an automatic win.  The 'skins are 4 and 7.  Be proud.  The Saints =have= done worse.

The only reason the Saints won after Katrina is G-d was finally able to look inside the Superdome and bless the field.

Amein v'amein!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:For the most part, I

Quote:
For the most part, I stand by what I said.  There's simply too much yelling and "challenging" and not enough educating.  And being open-minded goes both ways -- more in the next paragraph.

Ugh, oh boy.......sooooo close soooo close.

I used to think that boxing, the real sport, should be banned. USED TO. It would be closed minded of me to stop two people who agree to step into the ring.

It is not closed minded to speak your mind. It is closed minded to assume to know what is best for others and to make demands of them as if life is a script and there are never shades of gray.

I don't like broccoli. That statement is not a judgment on those who do like it. Debate style is no different. If a cable company puts on a show you hate, do you stop watching tv because of one show?

If I was closed minded I wouldn't even talk to you. Saying god does not exist is not being closed minded nor is it even close to bigotry. Part of what I see far too many miss is that I AM including the future when I say that. "God/god/entity/super natural" as far as past claims and current claims CANNOT exist. But strictly from a semantic sense, I can only say that it is highly unlikely, even though I haven't lived the future yet.

I agree that "education" IS important. Part of that "education" is teaching the real reality that utopias don't exist and it doesn't matter who tries to say "If you don't do it my way you are my enemy" is what causes humans to be closed minded and causes needless division.

If I had a booger on my nose and you said "Get that fucking booger off your nose"

It might at most startle me, but if I have a booger on my nose, I damned sure want someone to tell me. Should I be concerned with the word "fuck' OR should I be concerned with the booger?

Now, whats even worse is when someone comes into a house they don't own, even when someone gracious enough to consider it everyone's when ultimately it is theirs, and then demand that they do things their way.

I am polite enough, even in my own car, not to smoke if someone in my car does not smoke. But I am damned sure not going to put up with someone making demands or assumptions about what I should do.

The bottom line is that WE are all guests here. I find Brian doing most noble thing to individuality anyone can do by bending over backwards, even when he he doesn't legally have to for anyone, even when he doesn't like a certain person.

Tolerance isn't about playing nice being the only solution all the time. Tolerance is accepting that what may work for you may not work for everyone, it is especially open minded for the person in power when they don't have to be tolerant.

No one here is legally owed a thing. We are guests. Both you and I and every poster here are lucky enough to be on a site with an owner who values the concept of diversity and has bent over backwards for people even if he doesn't personally like them.

So I am myself of the ilk that there is room for all of us even when we shout.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:I mean

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I mean that seriously -- what would you require for proof? 

The best part about that question is that neither of us need to know the answer.  

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Ouch, you

Brian37 wrote:

Ouch, you know, just what I would expect from a Eagles fan. Low low low. DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW, DO YOU?

I have my hand under my chin doing a Curly from the Stooges! Just because the Skins suck, just because the truth hurts, doesn't mean you have to point it out. You you you you green bird lover you! City of brotherly love my patoot, not when it comes to the NFC East. You didn't have to agree with her on the Skins, no matter how true the unlikely of them winning a Super Bowl is right now.

Not funny when my team sucks too.

NFC East TeamWLT PctPFPANet PtsTDHomeRoadDivPctConfPctNon-ConfStreakLast 5
Dallas Cowboys740.63627022545275-12-32-1.6675-2.7142-24W4-1
New York Giants650.545252277-25313-23-31-2.3333-5.3753-03L2-3
Philadelphia Eagles470.3642572516291-53-23-1.7504-5.4440-21L2-3
Washington Redskins470.364183222-39192-32-41-3.2504-5.4440-21W1-4

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Not funny when

Sapient wrote:

Always good to see G-d's Own Team is winning the division!

Even better when the Saints have a better record!

Who Dat?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I remembered when I saw Brian37's comment earlier.

Not sure I properly thanked you, I'd like to apologize for the dust-up with ProzacDeathWish, that I suspect prompted the "Troll" badge -- I'm sorry for acting out of line, and I'm sorry for whatever grief I put you through.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Brian37

Sapient wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

NFC East TeamWLT PctPFPANet PtsTDHomeRoadDivPctConfPctNon-ConfStreakLast 5
Dallas Cowboys740.63627022545275-12-32-1.6675-2.7142-24W4-1
New York Giants650.545252277-25313-23-31-2.3333-5.3753-03L2-3
Philadelphia Eagles470.3642572516291-53-23-1.7504-5.4440-21L2-3
Washington Redskins470.364183222-39192-32-41-3.2504-5.4440-21W1-4

Misery loves company. But I did promise you if and when the Eagles get to the Super Bowl I will root for them. I want that monkey off of Philly's  back so I can actually maybe go to a game there without fearing for my life.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:And

FurryCatHerder wrote:

And this is how I know you got your degree in Jew-ology.

Write down some Hebrew "BE" verbs.

Write down the four letter name of G-d.

See anything?

It's not a name =or= a word, you silly goose.

Yahweh, my unhairy ass.  We don't even have the letter "W".

more obfuscation.  not surprising, since the person who obfuscates never has to admit they're wrong.

i asked you two simple questions: if "yahweh" is not the best transliteration for the tetragrammaton, what is?  if the tetragrammaton is not actually god's name, then what is?  you answered neither.

and yes, you do have "w," because you speak english.  the (hypothetical) ancient hebrews had "vav," which every expert i've ever encountered, from moshe idel to my old professor beth glazier-mcdonald (who unlike you is an expert not only in hebrew but in semitic languages in general), transliterates with either "v" or"w," with the actual sound probably falling between the english pronunciation of those two letters (like in almost every other language besides english, i might add).  therefore, you hold a minority opinion.  on top of that, when it comes to hebrew, you are what is known as a dilettante.  therefore, your opinion carries no weight.  so please stop giving it.

your dilettantism is only one symptom of your conversion.  you came to judaism relatively late in life and, like most converts, especially to religions with a strong emphasis on a unique culture and tradition, you have lingering doubts about your authenticity.  so you have an inordinate zeal to prove your jewishness, and it's painfully obvious.  you sprinkle uncommon hebrew transliterations needlessly throughout your posts.  for example, you refer to "yonatan ben shaul" and "david hamelech," when almost any jew in the english-speaking world, whether talking among themselves or to a "gentile," would be perfectly comfortable using "david" and "jonathan."  but no, these anglicized forms look way too "christian," don't they? 

you also show the dilettante's disdain for academia, dismissing my degree in religion as "jew-ology."  it's not surprising.  you've spent years crafting your jewish identity, then for some reason decide to go show it off in an atheist forum (i still don't know what you're trying to accomplish here), and because judaism is a religion that isn't studied much outside the jewish world, you think, "ohhhh, i'll show them all their preconceptions of judaism and theism are wrong.  they won't know what to think of me!  i'm the jewish lady!"  then you meet a gentile who knows more about your religion than you do and still thinks it's just same bullshit, different day.  so you take the only way out: anti-intellectualism, subjective elitism, and obfuscation, obfuscation, obfuscation. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:more

iwbiek wrote:

more obfuscation.  not surprising, since the person who obfuscates never has to admit they're wrong.

i asked you two simple questions: if "yahweh" is not the best transliteration for the tetragrammaton, what is?  if the tetragrammaton is not actually god's name, then what is?  you answered neither.

You have a Jew-ology degree, you know the answer to both.  Or else you got ripped off on that Jew-ology degree.

I'm going to go with Josephus -- it's four vowels, no consonants.

My apologies to those of you who don't know what the trip is with the Four Letter Name.  Here's a quote from a text called the Mishnah.  It's a recording of =very= ancient legal arguments, dating back well before the sources most commonly used to claim the name is pronounced "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" or whatever else.  You can find this same text, in Hebrew, in every legitimate copy of the Mishnah.  Here's a Wikipedia page on the subject --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mishnah

Sanhedrin 10:1 wrote:
(1) All Israel [even those who were executed by the court for their transgressions] have a portion in the World to Come, for it is written: “Your people are all righteous; they shall inherit the land forever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I be glorified”   (Isaiah 60:21). But the following have no portion in the World to Come: He who says that resurrection is not a Torah doctrine, the  Torah is not from Heaven, and an apikoros [who denigrates Torah and Torah scholars]. Rabbi Akiva adds: One who reads from heretical books. And one who whispers [a charm] over a wound and says: Any of the diseases that I have inflicted upon the Egyptians, I will not inflict upon you. For I, the Lord, heal you” (Exodus 15:26). Abba Shaul says: Also, one who pronounces the [four letter] Divine Name as it is spelled.

That, as they say, is =not= a "minority opinion".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:iwbiek

FurryCatHerder wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

You have a Jew-ology degree, you know the answer to both.  Or else you got ripped off on that Jew-ology degree.

I'm going to go with Josephus -- it's four vowels, no consonants.

My apologies to those of you who don't know what the trip is with the Four Letter Name.  Here's a quote from a text called the Mishnah.  It's a recording of =very= ancient legal arguments, dating back well before the sources most commonly used to claim the name is pronounced "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" or whatever else.  You can find this same text, in Hebrew, in every legitimate copy of the Mishnah.  Here's a Wikipedia page on the subject --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mishnah

(1) All Israel [even those who were executed by the court for their transgressions] have a portion in the World to Come, for it is written: “Your people are all righteous; they shall inherit the land forever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I be glorified”   (Isaiah 60:21). But the following have no portion in the World to Come: He who says that resurrection is not a Torah doctrine, the  Torah is not from Heaven, and an apikoros [who denigrates Torah and Torah scholars]. Rabbi Akiva adds: One who reads from heretical books. And one who whispers [a charm] over a wound and says: Any of the diseases that I have inflicted upon the Egyptians, I will not inflict upon you. For I, the Lord, heal you” (Exodus 15:26). Abba Shaul says: Also, one who pronounces the [four letter] Divine Name as it is spelled.

You are still not getting it, more evidence of why I cut to the chase and skip the labels.

There is no "Jewology"

There is no "Christology"

There is no "Allaholgy"

There are merely comic book fans who learn lines from comic books. If I study the complete history of the Star Wars series and memorize every line, does that make Yoda real or "The force" real?

A history of tradition does not constitute evidence, otherwise the earth would be flat and the sun would be a god.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:FurryCatHerder

Brian37 wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

A history of tradition does not constitute evidence, otherwise the earth would be flat and the sun would be a god.

Yeah, well, the age of those texts, and their authority, is a lot better than anything you've presented.  Or have you never heard of Rabbi Judah Ha'Nasi ("Rabbi Judah the Prince" for everyone else)?  He was in all the papers.

Josephus, who seems pretty well regarded as a historian, stated that the Four Letter Name is four vowels, which has been stated by other scholars since.  That the Four Letter Name is made up of the same letters in the three tense of the verb "To Be", and G-d states "I AM is my name", lends credibility to the claim that the Four Letter Name is comprised of four letters from the three tenses of "To Be".  yud-hey-yud, hey-yud-hey and hey-vav-hey-vav, leaving us with yud-hey-vav-hey, the past-present-future in a single name.

Furthermore, the construct "was / is / will be", exists throughout Hebrew Scripture and the liturgy -- "Adonai melech, Adonai malach, Adonai yim'loch l'olam va'ed" (G-d reigned, G-d reigns, G-d will reign forever).  In Semitic languages, and particularly within Judaism, repetition indicates something is very significant.

As for my behavior being related to my conversion, no, I was like this when I was a Christian.  It's who I am.  No regrets, no apologies.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Josephus, who seems

Quote:
Josephus, who seems pretty well regarded as a historian,

After the fact, way after the fact.

If I write a book about George Washington, and claimed he could fart a Lamborghini out of his ass, would that make it true because George Washington existed?

No one doubts the existence of Josephus. But he was not basing his recordings on first hand information, nor was he confirming the prior religious claims out of the texts he had access to. He most certainly did not have a lab to confirm any of the fantastic claims of the OT or the NT.

The Romans were good record keepers. If some snooty upstart challenged the authorities of their power and went around making fantastic claims, they would have taken notice. Outside the bible there is absolutely no contemporary evidence of the Christian Jesus during the time of his alleged existence. Much less is there evidence of a virgin birth or human flesh surviving rigor mortis.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you Furry, for

Thank you Furry, for providing that Sanhedrin quote, which so clearly demonstrates that it is a bunch of primitive superstitious taboos that deserves only ridicule and laughter.

Your Torah is at least as much a pile of stinking crap as the Christian Bible. No apologies.

'Ancient' certainly does not equate to 'true', or even 'more trustworthy'.

"Surely you can't be serious". And I will call you 'Shirley'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Thank you

BobSpence wrote:

Thank you Furry, for providing that Sanhedrin quote, which so clearly demonstrates that it is a bunch of primitive superstitious taboos that deserves only ridicule and laughter.

Your Torah is at least as much a pile of stinking crap as the Christian Bible. No apologies.

'Ancient' certainly does not equate to 'true', or even 'more trustworthy'.

"Surely you can't be serious". And I will call you 'Shirley'.

If Muslims and Jews accepted their comic books as pass times instead of literal fact, the needless turmoil in the middle east would not be festering.

Any holy book that advocates "chosen people" to the point that society uses it to play capture the flag to the point humans die, deserves to be called a steamy pile of crap.

And the God of all three books advocates "fight for me". They are the perfect manifestos for Mafia gang mentality.

The only reason the west isn't like the Middle east is because our pluralistic governments have put a leash on this mentality and those who still believe have to water it down to cling to them.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The problems of the middle

The problems of the middle east go well beyond religion. Without religion, they'd simply be more comparable to Africa.

Education, poverty, crazy dictators, and outside interference (US, Russia, etc.) are the biggest problems. Religion is merely exacerbating them.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The problems of

Vastet wrote:
The problems of the middle east go well beyond religion. Without religion, they'd simply be more comparable to Africa. Education, poverty, crazy dictators, and outside interference (US, Russia, etc.) are the biggest problems. Religion is merely exacerbating them.

No it is the cause because it is a distraction. Any form of dogmatism, political or religious is a distraction. Distractions cause people to take focus off of what they need to do.

Would there still be strife in humans if all of us were atheist? Yes, because we don't live in a perfect world. But the fewer distractions we cause the more we can collectively solve problems.

Labels have become religion a form of dogmatism. They can only be in a pragmatic world, a shortcut description of an individuals position. Labels will always exist and social groups will always exist. WHEN humans grow to change their priorities to the needs of the individuals and not their labels, the weapon of religion will have a safety on it. But that is about all you can do in reality, put a safety on the weapon.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Distractions are only

Distractions are only distractions, not causes. The causes I already listed are the problems. Religion merely exacerbates the problems. It isn't causing them. And until people realise that the jew/christian/moslem war going on is merely an extension of the fundamental problems in the region, there will never be peace.

There are a lot of things religion can be blamed for. But not everything.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The different faiths have

The different faiths have become a core part of the cultural identity of each group, making any reconciliation almost inherently impossible. I think it is arguably why there is such a deep division in the first place, why there are the two irreconcilable 'sides'. You need two sides to have a dispute.

It goes deeper - the Moslems break up internally into the Shiites and Sunnis, the Jews into the moderates and their crazy fundies. That region is so immersed, soaked, in religion, from time immemorial.

The Israeli government insists on its right to create a Jewish state, not just an independent Israel.

I think religion goes way beyond being an exacerbation, it is the core reason for the ongoing conflict, and why it is almost impossible to resolve.

When each side insists they have THE endorsement of the Big Boss in Sky, no argument can work to build a compromise.

You can argue which came first, the religions or the tribal groups which identified themselves by which brand of belief they held, I guess, but I don't think you can separate the religion from the culture over there.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Distractions

Vastet wrote:
Distractions are only distractions, not causes. The causes I already listed are the problems. Religion merely exacerbates the problems. It isn't causing them. And until people realise that the jew/christian/moslem war going on is merely an extension of the fundamental problems in the region, there will never be peace. There are a lot of things religion can be blamed for. But not everything.

Let me see if I can meet you half way here.

They can be causes, they don't have to be, but they can be.

Religious individuals cannot be blamed for everything. But the attitude that religion causes leads to far to much needless division. "My way or the highway". Same thing can be said for political dogmatism.

Anything that leads to a climate of monochromatic behavior is a cause even if the individuals who make up that climate are diverse. So the key is to make sure the mass does not become so corrupt that it can become lopsided.

The ability to question and criticize wont cure all problems, but it can prevent a climate that causes dogmatism getting absolute power. Secular governments that defend pluralism put a wall between religion and government to a much greater degree. The state being the religion that does not protect dissent is just as bad.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I find people are so

What I find people are so eager to do is ignore basic human psychology. Religion may indeed have caused the initial strife, but the conditions propogate both the strife, and the religion.

The majority of the people are desperate for food, water, shelter, and especially security. The best way to provide security is to band together. Doing so has the added benefit of delivering sufficient power to seize resources.
Religion is doing what it evolved to do, providing a centre of community around which the desperate can flock for help. In the middle east it still has value.

Remove the conditions, and religion loses it's power and value. The strife can be dealt with, instead of being irrelevant to the average individual.
But you'll never deal with it by attacking the religion, because the religion not only isn't the problem, it is in fact a meager solution to the problem. That problem being that these are desperate people living in poverty and always watching their backs. They depend on religion for survival.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The best way to

Quote:
The best way to provide security is to band together.

No, people banded behind Marshal Applewhite and Jim Jones. That banding together caused them to commit suicide. Hitler used the religion of nationalism to band the Germans together and that got 50 million people killed, including 6 million Jews.

Banding together is part of evolution, but it is not pragmatic by itself and it doesn't always insure survival. Lots of species are social. But some individuals do better alone than in groups. Evolution isnt all one thing or another but most of the time a combo.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your ignoring the

Your ignoring the circumstances doesn't change them. Suicide cults are extreme and exceptionally rare variants of religion, and inapplicable to comparison with the middle east.
And for all Hitlers "evils", he saved Germany and made them strong again.

You have no argument.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Your ignoring

Vastet wrote:
Your ignoring the circumstances doesn't change them. Suicide cults are extreme and exceptionally rare variants of religion, and inapplicable to comparison with the middle east. And for all Hitlers "evils", he saved Germany and made them strong again. You have no argument.

Suicide cults are the ones that dont grow up to be religions. Religions always start out as cults. I am quite sure the Romans thought of Jews and Christians as cult members.

Dying in war because you believe in a god is a form of suicide. Slamming planes into buildings was done by people who belonged to a religion, not a cult, but I am sure when Islam was started, they were surrounded by a majority that considered them a cult.

The difference between a cult and a religion is a matter of numbers.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I lived in the middle

If I lived in the middle east, you'd be wishing slamming planes into buildings was all I'd done, and I despise religion.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:If I lived in

Vastet wrote:
If I lived in the middle east, you'd be wishing slamming planes into buildings was all I'd done, and I despise religion.

Huh?

Correct me if I am wrong. I am admittedly guessing.

Nukes? Nice, but why would you want to knock the entire species back to rocks and sticks? Just so you could go "SO THERE!"

There are 7 billion people on this planet, is what you would do more important than the rest of the species? If other people said to you, "It's my home too" that wouldn't make a difference?

If you did that wouldn't there be adults and children who wouldn't want any part of that affected by your choice?

Our world is in a Nuclear stand off, that is bad enough. Egos are bad enough. Politics is bad enough. But if you do that, there will be people outside the politics and egos, especially kids who have no concept of adult beefs, that would be affected by those actions. It seems so far that the governments who have them know this. Mutual destruction will hurt tons of people who don't want to be part of that.

Could you face a Chinese 4 year old who got burnt who had nothing to do with the government beefs China and America have if there were a nuclear war? I know right now that wont happen because they depend on our money. But there was a time with Russia and China where that was a much bigger possibility.

What if we nuke Iran? Sure we'd probably do that easily. But could you face their children at the age of 4 or 7 and say "Sorry I killed your parents kid" Sorry your skin is falling off of you because of adult beefs.

There would be no way to avoid that. What ifs on paper or in the mind never take into account the horrors of war.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't use nukes. The

I wouldn't use nukes. The objective is to win. But then I'm rational. I've had an awesome life compared to people over there.
America has been fucking the entire region over for decades. Get off your high horse, because you don't have one. 9/11 was a holiday compared to the conditions these people have lived in for years. If you think they have no right to desire freedom from American assholes, you have another think coming. And 9/11 will repeat it's lesson over and over until America gets the point, or is destroyed.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I wouldn't use

Vastet wrote:
I wouldn't use nukes. The objective is to win. But then I'm rational. I've had an awesome life compared to people over there. America has been fucking the entire region over for decades. Get off your high horse, because you don't have one. 9/11 was a holiday compared to the conditions these people have lived in for years. If you think they have no right to desire freedom from American assholes, you have another think coming. And 9/11 will repeat it's lesson over and over until America gets the point, or is destroyed.

Bush has been fucking up that region for decades. And what makes you think I agree with everything my country does?

Europe and America fucked up after WW1 by leaving Germany to rot which set the stage for Hitler. Bush 1 fucked up by not completing the job the first time in Iraq. That would be like offering your friend help to fix his car and you fuck it up even worse than it was. Then you offer to do it again the next time and he says "no thanks". Obama got Libia right but NATO fucked up with Pakistan just now, which has made things worse.

Not everything this country does works. But that doesn't mean all the citizens here are bad because we all live under the same government.

But as far as Iran, that is not run by secular Imams who protect dissent. Even in that case I do not include all individual citizens who live under that government as liking what their government does either. That is a theocracy.

You can second guess mistakes all you want. But one mistake you are making is mistaking a label as being a group and by proxy making all in that label the same. THAT is what makes it easy to treat "outsiders' as a sub species, which makes it easier to kill them. To a far too great degree tribalism, is the priority in the form of nationalism and religion and or both, when we should look for individuals who can look past those differences no matter what label they hold or what country they live in.