Why God makes sense to me

relrick
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Why God makes sense to me

Why God makes sense to me.

I start with a pre-bang perspective. What is before the big bang??? The end of another universe?? Multiple Universes bubbling up??? Well...still no matter how far back you go you're still left with something created the conditions necessary for the first big bang. Or the first bang of the first universe. It makes sense to me that a mind or perhaps a spirit is the only entity that could exist in that state. Therefore a mind/spirit created the big bang. Add an anthropic principle perspective to that and a rational perspective emerges.

Not only did the right conditions exist for life, the right resources for prosperity were available. Wood, oil, water, minerals, etc.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:
Be that as it may, I think we're due for "heat death" in another 10^100 years.

Geez,   .....even God will be dead by then.

That assumes G-d exists in space-time.

It is true that 'God' does not exist in space-time, because it is only an idea. It only exists in the minds of the believers. 

Something that does not exist in our space-time can have no direct effect on us.

As an idea, it can indeed have an effect on our decisions, and thereby on what we do. But it is our creation, not vice-versa.

Although if you want to speak metaphorically, a particular culture or religion may legitimately be considered to be the 'creation' of such an idea.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Which assumes God exists... Eye-wink

Actually, it doesn't.  It's a denial of the assumption that G-d exists within space-time, nothing more, nothing else.

Logically, the non-existence of G-d also implies the non-existence of G-d within space-time.  If you can concede that G-d does not exist within space-time (shouldn't be hard for an Atheist ...), you must equally logically agree that you cannot find G-d, no matter how hard you look, because we cannot observe anything that exists outside of space-time.

Logic is a b*tch that way some times.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Actually, it doesn't.  It's a denial of the assumption that G-d exists within space-time, nothing more, nothing else.

Logically, the non-existence of G-d also implies the non-existence of G-d within space-time.  If you can concede that G-d does not exist within space-time (shouldn't be hard for an Atheist ...), you must equally logically agree that you cannot find G-d, no matter how hard you look, because we cannot observe anything that exists outside of space-time.

I just figured out why the Redskins stink. Their owner takes advice from you.

You are falsely trying to take the admission to "we don't know everything" and falsely demand that by proxy of utterance it must be possible by default.

You can make up an infinite number of crappy ideas. Ideas don't mean shit until they get the shit kicked out of them and survive the shit kicking.

Wanting a god to be real means nothing. Popularity of tradition means nothing. Popularity via numbers means nothing.

The computers you and I type our interactions on are REAL because of scientific method and were not dependent on merely mental masturbation.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Actually, it doesn't.  It's a denial of the assumption that G-d exists within space-time.....

Can't find God within space / time.  Gotcha.       (  That's a good place to start looking, though, no ? )

FurryCatHerder wrote:
  If you can concede that G-d does not exist within space-time   .....you must equally logically agree that you cannot find G-d, no matter how hard you look, because we cannot observe anything that exists outside of space-time.

Can't find God outside space / time.  Gotcha. 

FurryCatHerder wrote:

True.  Logic just told us that God simply can't be found anywhere.  What would be the logical conclusion ?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Just playing off the belief that "God exists but he's outside space/time". Glad you thinks that's bull also. So, where's your God at?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Just playing

jcgadfly wrote:

Just playing off the belief that "God exists but he's outside space/time". Glad you thinks that's bull also. So, where's your God at?

In her head.  But you won't get her to admit that.  (It is her?  Still catching up.)

Delusional.  Invisible imaginary friends.  I'd rather have an aquamarine unicorn.  (I hate the color pink.)  Practical, too - I'd never have food poisoning ever again. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:jcgadfly wrote:Just

cj wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

In her head.  But you won't get her to admit that.  (It is her?  Still catching up.)

Delusional.  Invisible imaginary friends.  I'd rather have an aquamarine unicorn.  (I hate the color pink.)  Practical, too - I'd never have food poisoning ever again. 

Welcome back

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

Trinity123,

Quote:

The universe is finite. Or else the universe would have reached heat death by now...Entropy right? 

Wrong.

An 'infinite' universe does not mean one that has lasted an infinite time, so 'heat death' does not arise as an issue. It just refers to the size, not the age.

That is a very basic error on your part. It betrays very poor comprehension.

On average, the Universe is only 2 or 3 degrees K above frozen solid.

I love you Furry, you are good sport in all this, but how you can claim to know about science and still claim an invisible friend is beyond me. I know educated people can learn science and do have that knowledge, but that still will always bug me.

What would change if there were no god of any kind? We already have violence and disease and war and crime. Those things have never stopped in our evolution despite how much deity believers claim it to be a cure all.

What would be so horrible about knowing what we were before we were born we will be after we die?

WHY do you feel the need to hold onto a god? By proxy of the fact that you haven't accused us of being monsters by proxy of being atheists, that says to me you already accept people can be good without believing in a god. I would simply suggest you don't need one either.

I would suggest that you merely have a god belief merely because you falsely think it helps you.

If we always stopped exploring because someone said "thats all we can know, lets just stop with God now", We wouldn't have discovered what we know now. And scientific method continues to shrink the gaps where people fill it in with a deity claim.

There is no need for a god to explain nature or the universe or our origins. If you accept science don't go half way about it. Be willing to give up on your Jewish god claim. It was started by people who did not have the knowledge we do now. To try to claim they did is absurd.

It would be like claiming the Egyptians knew about thermodynamics and hydrogen because they could point at the sun. It would be like claiming that a person who learned to create and control fire in pre written history knew about Kelvin and knew specific degrees of temperature in celcius and Farenheit . You are not doing anything differently in trying to prop up the Jewish god.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Welcome

jcgadfly wrote:

Welcome back

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

DUH, everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Inside and outside space and time at the same time. You know, let me move the goal posts here again. I'm sorry I simply don't want to admit I like believing it.