I've De-De-Converted....

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've De-De-Converted....

Been a while... I have some bad (or good news depending on how you look at it)...

I've de-de-converted.... Sorry if this comes as a shock... call me irrational or whatever.. just thought I'd let you guys know.

I've following in the footsteps of others, I suppose: Flew, McGrath, Lewis, Collins, among others...

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I thought we execute Christians on here who betray us.

The OP is very naive for simply falling for the Judeo-Christian MYTH.  Just look at the idiot O'Reilly trying to tell Dawkins that the Judeo-Christian story is not a myth yet he HORRIBLY failed in producing any corroboration showing the Judeo Christian myth is different from the hundreds of other myths told all over the planet!

Basically, save for the OP falling for a myth. Abrahamic religions are certainly a myth, but Ubuntu has indicated he has not fallen for it... just yet. I guess it's merely a question of how deep he wants to delve into religion. For the practical (social and psychological) benefits, or the imaginary ones?

No way of discerning this just yet.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote: The

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
 The choice to believe concerning these matters, I think, is a personal decision insomuch as it is for one not to believe.

Sure.

Except that rational people don't wager on myths and legends that are built on faith and fertile imaginations...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:BobSpence

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

unbuntu,

under that scenario, reward cancels out to 1 as well.

So you are basing your decision on the 50% chance of reward rather than torment if you chose either God, vs the certainty of torment if you reject both.

The certainty of torment is invariant no matter what one chooses. Reward doesn't cancel out to 1, rather is something like a 1/3 chance under the scenario described above: Christianity is the outcome, Islam is the outcome, or neither are the outcome.

Ok, I got that one wrong.

Better to put it as choose: "Christianity, Islam or none", as the belief.

Result:

God=Xian => R T T

God=Allah => T R T

God=None => 0 0 0

So if either God exists, your chances are 50/50 for reward/torment if you choose one of them, 100% torment if you reject both.

If neither exists, no reward or torment, just a wasted life if you believe, an un-encumbered one if you don't.

If the probability of each God is p, then choosing either gives prob. p of R, p of T, 1-2p of wasted life.

If you choose neither, prob. 2p of T, 1-2p of unencumbered life.

If p is low enough, I could justify going with neither.

If you include other options, such as Gods which don't punish for disbelief, the 'none of the above' punishment probability falls much lower.

The only cases in which a wager is inapplicable is 100% known probability of one specific God, or of no Gods.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:
But there is still no evidence for any such God, and the actual situation could be the reverse, with no way to decide between any of them, because of no evidence.

You have no way of knowing whether the actual God, if any, would necessarily torment non-believers - you have to assume that the probability of torment under non-belief is greater than under belief. That would be true based on existing religious ideas, but people would be extremely unlikely to posit a God who did not punish unbelief in some way, even less one who rewarded it, so it is an extremely biased sample of the possibilities, so not a valid guide.

If there was evidence for such things, then one doesn't need to wager. I wouldn't even propose such things otherwise.

But insofar as bias is concerned, I think that is largely a red herring. First, many religions are inclusive regardless of what one believes. Second, some religions make no difference between believers of other religions and  unbelief. Third, the certainty of torment under any choice makes torment invariant.

It's not that there is 1 possible outcome of torment for a single choice, rather many. Suppose I added some form of animism to the scenario concerning Christianity and Islam.. The possibility for reward is something like a 1/4 chance: animism, Christianity, Islam, and non of the above. If one chooses any one of these, the possible outcome of torment is something like 3/4 for choosing one of them. No matter what one chooses, one has a possible outcome of torment.

As I said above, evidence does NOT remove the need for a wager, unless it provides 100% proof of the real situation. So you are clearly wrong there. !00% proof of a specific God is not just unlikely, it is inherently impossible for our finite minds.

You are not allowing for unequal likelihood of the reality of the various belief options. So your scenario is again a crude approximation. I am seeing this now as your basic error. Your insistence that 'evidence would remove the need for a wager' is based on a related error, that evidence would prove something 100%. Evidence would, at best, modify the a priori probabilities. 

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:
I see, personally, the only honest way is to go about living in the best human way possible, with regard to our fellow citizens, undistorted by contemplating the imagined edicts of an imagined being. If there is a God, and wants to punish me for honesty, so be it. I can at least be satisfied that I didn't debase myself by fake worship of such a morally bankrupt being. Especially since the reality of any such being seems to me so vanishingly small.

It is ultimately a subjective, personal decision.

I affirm your right to choose what you want. The choice to believe concerning these matters, I think, is a personal decision insomuch as it is for one not to believe.

I think you are not doing your analysis thoroughly enough, due to assuming equal likelihood of all options. 

That adds an extra dimension, where if the likelihood of torment for the no belief option is low enough, a person may reasonably decide that they would prefer to take the risk.

Some people decide to not to fly because of their fear of a crash. Most people think the risk of death is low enough vs the saving of time that they are ok to take the airplane. It's not that different.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:ubuntuAnyone

BobSpence wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:
I see, personally, the only honest way is to go about living in the best human way possible, with regard to our fellow citizens, undistorted by contemplating the imagined edicts of an imagined being. If there is a God, and wants to punish me for honesty, so be it. I can at least be satisfied that I didn't debase myself by fake worship of such a morally bankrupt being. Especially since the reality of any such being seems to me so vanishingly small.

It is ultimately a subjective, personal decision.

I affirm your right to choose what you want. The choice to believe concerning these matters, I think, is a personal decision insomuch as it is for one not to believe.

I think you are not doing your analysis thoroughly enough, due to assuming equal likelihood of all options. 

That adds an extra dimension, where if the likelihood of torment for the no belief option is low enough, a person may reasonably decide that they would prefer to take the risk.

Some people decide to not to fly because of their fear of a crash. Most people think the risk of death is low enough vs the saving of time that they are ok to take the airplane. It's not that different.

I held back putting a fine point on irrational behaviour and decision making, and OCD type thought patterns, because I didn't want to go round in circles with ubuntu, but your comments Bob, really dovetail well and illustrate the point.

He's just trying to put a spin on his 'reasonings' to make them sound more profoundly philosophical, instead of conceding what is obvious to at the very least, you, I, and a few others...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:ubuntuAnyone

redneF wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
 The choice to believe concerning these matters, I think, is a personal decision insomuch as it is for one not to believe.

Sure.

Except that rational people don't wager on myths and legends that are built on faith and fertile imaginations...

Not to mention they are fairy tales created by superstitious desert dwellers who believed snakes could talk, humans started from 2 people (impossible), and the earth was created in 6 days (REALLY impossible!) among other absurdities!

Ever heard this before?

The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Yeah, christianity makes perfect sense!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:If p is low

BobSpence wrote:

If p is low enough, I could justify going with neither.

If you include other options, such as Gods which don't punish for disbelief, the 'none of the above' punishment probability falls much lower.

The probability of any one of the options being the outcome is low considering the number of options that exist... If that is the case, I'd choose the one were my chances are the best for receiving reward.

BobSpence wrote:

The only cases in which a wager is inapplicable is 100% known probability of one specific God, or of no Gods.

As I said above, evidence does NOT remove the need for a wager, unless it provides 100% proof of the real situation. So you are clearly wrong there. !00% proof of a specific God is not just unlikely, it is inherently impossible for our finite minds.

You are not allowing for unequal likelihood of the reality of the various belief options. So your scenario is again a crude approximation. I am seeing this now as your basic error. Your insistence that 'evidence would remove the need for a wager' is based on a related error, that evidence would prove something 100%. Evidence would, at best, modify the a priori probabilities.

That's not what I meant -- I was talking about not needing to wager as I have done. Induction from evidence is a sort of wager in an of itself. I was talking about it in the absence of evidence or in light of uncertainty. Uncertainty and the need to be pragmatic are strongly mitigated in light of compelling evidence. If there was compelling evidence for Islam, then I'd forego the wagering pragmatic grounds in light of that evidence. I don't need to consider the outcomes of possible scenarios among other things if there is good reason to believe something based on evidence.

But insofar as a "crude approximation", I don't think that is necessarily the case either. Competing scenarios that result in an outcome of payoff have (at least IMHO) failed to produce compelling evidence for one or the other such that they have more-or-less and equal foothold on being a possible outcome. All lies are equally untrue, and if one of the scenarios is true, it hasn't done a good job as separating itself from the rest.

The safety of flight can be ascertained based on variables such as the number of people who have flown and lived vs the number who have flown and died, the average number of miles traveled without incident, or the number of flights taken without incident among other things. I think there is a lot more certainty here otherwise.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

redneF wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Sure.

Not to mention they are fairy tales created by superstitious desert dwellers who believed snakes could talk, humans started from 2 people (impossible), and the earth was created in 6 days (REALLY impossible!) among other absurdities!

Talking snakes, giants and demons and angry gods who clap thunder and shoot lightning bolts are enough to scare members of primitive cultures.

A meme is born. And a meme evolves, and actually follows natural selection. Dawkins elaborates quite a bit about 'memetics', as does Dennett. So, it's easy to see why they're still effective in the 21st century. Because there's no shortage of people who can get infected with irrational fears. From flying to invisible sky daddies.

The method of exploiting peoples' fears makes them easy prey. The formula is simple, and ages old. Create a sufficient fear, and desire to quell the fear is born. So, it's an easy sell.

Sell the fear, and your remedy in the same pitch.

The best way to captivate people's imaginations is with fear. Fear mongering works well, obviously, and people not only become irrational, but defensive about how these memes manifest themselves in their lives.

Enter apologetics. The 'sophisticated' attempt at trying to make the irrational sound not only rational, but *ahem* pragmatic and completely rational...

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of options giving low

A lot of options giving low probability for any one does not remove the logical need to assess each one for intrinsic likelihood. Low or not, they are all very likely to be different in plausibilty. The more there are , the more likely is the range of likelihood to be wide, and THAT is the issue I was raising, NOT the average likelihood. So it is still a very crude approximation if you ignore the plausibility of each option, as well as the 'no gods' option.

You have no basis for assuming 'more-or-less equal'. That is the same error.

I was not assuming compelling evidence. In this context in particular, we are never going to get that, especially as regard relative plausibility.

So, as I said, all we can do by examining each scenario, is make broad assessments of probability, mainly relative to the other options. But this is essential to get a proper basis for any wager.

Just to give an example, one civilization could have given rise to a large number of religions, with only more-or-less  subtle differences.

With your extremely crude approach, you don't have any consistent method of deciding when they should be counted as one or many, A proper analysis, as I suggest, will address that.

The basis for assessing risk of flight is certainly far more that assessing the likelihood of any given God scenario, but that does not make it non-wagerable thing. For any given flight, we can only assign probability of a crash, not a confident 0%. So a wager is still applicable, even there.

ubuntu, have you ever done any classes in probability and statistics? I have done several.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:A lot of

BobSpence wrote:

A lot of options giving low probability for any one does not remove the logical need to assess each one for intrinsic likelihood. Low or not, they are all very likely to be different in plausibilty. The more there are , the more likely is the range of likelihood to be wide, and THAT is the issue I was raising, NOT the average likelihood. So it is still a very crude approximation if you ignore the plausibility of each option, as well as the 'no gods' option.

You have no basis for assuming 'more-or-less equal'. That is the same error.

I was not assuming compelling evidence. In this context in particular, we are never going to get that, especially as regard relative plausibility.

So, as I said, all we can do by examining each scenario, is make broad assessments of probability, mainly relative to the other options. But this is essential to get a proper basis for any wager.

Just to give an example, one civilization could have given rise to a large number of religions, with only more-or-less  subtle differences.

With your extremely crude approach, you don't have any consistent method of deciding when they should be counted as one or many, A proper analysis, as I suggest, will address that.

The basis for assessing risk of flight is certainly far more that assessing the likelihood of any given God scenario, but that does not make it non-wagerable thing. For any given flight, we can only assign probability of a crash, not a confident 0%. So a wager is still applicable, even there.

What you are calling "crude" is not so much. I think you're jumping to conclusions about what I'm doing.

Plausibility is not a necessary requirement for something that is genuinely false. The fact that the overwhelming majority (that is, if there were 100 options including non belief, 99 of them would be false) of the available options are destine to be false makes there plausibility, not matter how outlandish it may be, something of a mute point in any case. That makes them more or less equal in terms probabilities of being the one option that is the option from which one can receive reward.

But once one gets passed that, then I think has to look at the internal claims of each system and consider the what it would take to complete the necessary requirements to receive the payout. I even think is some application of probabilities even here. (i.e. as in the Christian vs Islam scenario, Islam requires one to follow the five pillars of Islam. Evangelical Christianity requires faith alone. Given this, it would seem easier (and thereby wiser) to choose Christianity out of these two options.

BobSpence wrote:

ubuntu, have you ever done any classes in probability and statistics? I have done several.

I've taken classes on general statistics, heuristics, and game-theory. I've taken classes on artificial intelligence that apply all three of these.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:What you are calling

Quote:
What you are calling "crude" is not so much. I think you're jumping to conclusions about what I'm doing.

No, none of us here are jumping to conclusions.

You claim to have once been an atheist. Now you claim not to be. No one has missed that point.

Your problem with all of us is we don't care what you claim to be now.

"God/god/deity/entity/super natural", Are all the same superstitious made up comic book wishful thinking bullshit. Re wrap the empty box all you want, it is still empty.

If you are going to postulate a non material thinking entity which IS a naked assertion, we are going to see through all this elaborate clap trap. You are not fooling anyone here.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(bolded emphasis mine)

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

[...]

[...]

This thread's contents speak to the opposite of what you claim. Care for a few samples of said content? Perhaps you were referring to the absolute present, or perhaps you were were speaking to the immediate past and present; I can't decide on either based on the one post so it is likely irrelevant.

If "we don't care what (ubuntuanyone) claim(s) to be now", the this thread would not have made it to the second page. "Good cop" or "bad cop of debate",  try not to pretend you speak for anyone but yourself, k? It improves the accuracy of your statements tremendously. Unless accuracy is not a concern for you, in which case fire away!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am not so much 'jumping to

I am not so much 'jumping to conclusions' about what you are doing, I am bypassing it, by pointing out how you should properly and logically approach such a Wager situation.

You are utterly wrong in your assertion that the number of options in any way affects their relative probabilities unimportant or 'more or less equal' in any way. That is VERY sloppy 'reasoning'. YOU don't understand what you are talking about.

Apart from the fundamental fallacy of only considering systems that have actually been believed in by some group or other.

What you are doing is trying to justify some kind of theistic belief after the fact.

It is a text-book example of self-justification, which you cannot admit to yourself, obviously.

EDIT: The podcast I listened to yesterday explained the way our brain can get into this mode after making some significant decision which can not be easily and fully justified, especially if it is at odds with a previous assumption. It is a form of cognitive dissonance. You seem to be exemplifying it.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:I am not so

BobSpence wrote:

I am not so much 'jumping to conclusions' about what you are doing, I am bypassing it, by pointing out how you should properly and logically approach such a Wager situation.

You are utterly wrong in your assertion that the number of options in any way affects their relative probabilities unimportant or 'more or less equal' in any way. That is VERY sloppy 'reasoning'. YOU don't understand what you are talking about.

Apart from the fundamental fallacy of only considering systems that have actually been believed in by some group or other.

What you are doing is trying to justify some kind of theistic belief after the fact.

It is a text-book example of self-justification, which you cannot admit to yourself, obviously.

At least if someone claimed that god spoke to them personally, we might grant them reasons to feel personally justified in contemplating 'wagering'.

This is of course based on the presumption that merely 'agreeing', or 'choosing' to wager will qualify them for a 'reward' instead of actually irrevocably condemning themselves to negative consequences.

Calling that pragmaticism is a misnomer...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Brian37

Kapkao wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

[...]

[...]

This thread's contents speak to the opposite of what you claim. Care for a few samples of said content? Perhaps you were referring to the absolute present, or perhaps you were were speaking to the immediate past and present; I can't decide on either based on the one post so it is likely irrelevant.

If "we don't care what (ubuntuanyone) claim(s) to be now", the this thread would not have made it to the second page. "Good cop" or "bad cop of debate",  try not to pretend you speak for anyone but yourself, k? It improves the accuracy of your statements tremendously. Unless accuracy is not a concern for you, in which case fire away!

The issue isn't about ubuntuanyone.

The issue is anyone who might not spot the fallacies and non sequiturs in the lines of reasoning he is putting forth, and using that as a basis to make life decisions.

That's the issue...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Kapkao wrote:Brian37

Kapkao wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

[...]

[...]

You DONT care in the sense you know god claims are all bunk. You do care because you like the debate. So if I am spoiling your fun, that is the issue, but don't pretend you actually care about his claims. You only care in the sense that they need to be challenged and debunked. I simply am not a fan of the scenic route.

There has never been or ever will be a non-material magical super brain with magical super powers. They(he), ANYONE who makes such absurd claims are dead wrong. Thoughts require a material process, thus making the naked assurtion of a non material thinker absurd. The box is still empty no matter who is dressing it up(whatever the pet claim is).

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:I am not so

BobSpence wrote:

I don't think so... i think you're grasping for a reason to dismiss such things, and your attempts seem to be getting more desperate.

BobSpence wrote:

The reason I only consider that which has been believed is because probabilities suggests that randomly ascertaining something in a sea of infinite options is 0.  But if the truth is unknown, the probability of finding it is zero. But even so, I really don't think the set of unknown  is actually infinite -- I think it is at best transfinite which would mean that the probability is still non-zero. On the other hand, if the truth known, then it is a part of a finite set of options, and all other options are not true, such that the set is finite. There are any number of options that fit the bill here. This is simply being pragmatic about the set one considers.

BobSpence wrote:

EDIT: The podcast I listened to yesterday explained the way our brain can get into this mode after making some significant decision which can not be easily and fully justified, especially if it is at odds with a previous assumption. It is a form of cognitive dissonance. You seem to be exemplifying it.

To actually accuse me of having some sort of cognitive dissonance would be a circumstantial ad hominem fallacy... that was one of the first accusations you made in this thread.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:I don't think so... i

Quote:
I don't think so... i think you're grasping for a reason to dismiss such things,

No, just the opposite. YOU are grasping for reasons to cling to the absurd because it sounds nice.

I know what a human brain looks like. WE, both you and I can OBSERVE a human brain. We can scan them. MEs can dissect them, look at them under a microscope. We know HOW the brain functions even to the degree of neurology down to the atom level.

What we also know as a species is that humans are notorious for making up fiction and selling it as fact.

If you are not willing to apply the same standards you use to reject the superstitions of others to your own claims, you are pissing in the wind.

I don't have to go to the North Pole to know that Santa doesn't exist. I can reject claims of Thor and Isis and Crop Circles and little green men, all for the same fucking reason. It is easy to sell something. It is much harder to test it. So my standard is simple. If you cant take it to a lab, and have it independently thrashed, you are merely left with your mental masturbation. I do give credit to snake oil salesmen, they can be quite elaborate with  the crap they sell.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

You are utterly wrong in your assertion that the number of options in any way affects their relative probabilities, and makes the probabilities unimportant or 'more or less equal' in any way. That is VERY sloppy 'reasoning'. YOU don't understand what you are talking about.

I don't think so... i think you're grasping for a reason to dismiss such things, and your attempts seem to be getting more desperate.

Not desperate, just losing hope of being able to communicate meaningfully with you.

A little sad, perhaps.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

The reason I only consider that which has been believed is because probabilities suggests that randomly ascertaining something in a sea of infinite options is 0.  But if the truth is unknown, the probability of finding it is zero. But even so, I really don't think the set of unknown  is actually infinite -- I think it is at best transfinite which would mean that the probability is still non-zero. On the other hand, if the truth known, then it is a part of a finite set of options, and all other options are not true, such that the set is finite. There are any number of options that fit the bill here. This is simply being pragmatic about the set one considers.

Your first sentence is all that actually applies.

Cantor refused to label the 'transfinite' numbers he described as "infinite" for religious reasons. He felt the "absolute infinite" should refer to God.

All "transfinite" numbers ARE infinite. Even Aleph-0 will mathematically make the probability, in the context we are considering, zero.

Another explicit error on your part, further supporting my assessment of your position. Thank you for that.

It is utterly irrelevant whether any person does or does not have a belief which happens to coincide with the 'truth'. That in itself cannot be known, unless and until that 'truth' can be established by valid argument and evidence.

Yes you are being 'selective', not 'pragmatic', about the set of options you consider. Maybe 'paragmatic' within your own aim, which is to justify your new position, whatever it takes.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

To actually accuse me of having some sort of cognitive dissonance would be a circumstantial ad hominem fallacy... that was one of the first accusations you made in this thread.

You attempt to justify your position by arguments which include clear fallacies of logic and errors of math.

Which you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge, or dodge by appeal to yet more fallacious reasoning to accuse me of not understanding.

All I am saying is that you fit the pattern. If you have some deeper problem for falling into the error of Theism, it will require a trained psychologist to diagnose, I guess.

Most believers seem to ultimately fall back to the position that they cannot really imagine God not existing, or they have had a deep experience of 'communicating' with God in some sense, either just feeling his presence, or receiving a 'message' of some sort, or even a response to a prayer.

Those are more honest than your convoluted and fallacy-ridden attempt to justify your position, by arguments that you apparently find more appropriate to your self-image.

You may be closer to Flew, who you mentioned in the original post, who almost certainly had Dementia when he 'recanted' his Atheism. A bit harsh, but that was the first name you said you were "following in the footsteps of"....

As i said before, I  am not desperate, by any definition, just sad, for you.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

I don't think so...

It doesn't matter how you feel. It matters what you can prove.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
i think you're grasping for a reason to dismiss such things,

Then you'd be able to prove when and where, instead of lobbing accusations.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
...and your attempts seem to be getting more desperate.

Then you'd be able to prove when and where, instead of lobbing accusations.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

The reason I only consider that which has been believed is because probabilities suggests that randomly ascertaining something in a sea of infinite options is 0.....

... This is simply being pragmatic about the set one considers.

Contemplating ancient 'beliefs' and 'faiths' is not being 'pragmatic'. That's a non sequitur, in the same way that contemplating astrology isn't being pragmatic.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

To actually accuse me of having some sort of cognitive dissonance would be a circumstantial ad hominem fallacy...

Is english a second language for you? What do you think cognitive dissonance means? A mental disorder?

1- He didn't commit an ad hominem. You admit explicitly that you are trying to justify some kind of theistic belief after the fact as being 'pragmatic'.

2- You are in fact trying to justify or rationalize reasons to have some level of 'faith' that there could be an afterlife or supernatural, despite the evidence to the contrary. This is a confirmation bias.

Showing that you are guilty of confirmation bias is not an ad hominem, BTW.

Continually labelling yourself , or your fallacious reasonings and non sequiturs as being pragmatic is a complete fallacy. That isn't an ad hominem either, BTW.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You DONT care

Brian37 wrote:
You DONT care in the sense you know god claims are all bunk. You do care because you like the debate. So if I am spoiling your fun, that is the issue, but don't pretend you actually care about his claims. You only care in the sense that they need to be challenged and debunked. I simply am not a fan of the scenic route.

There has never been or ever will be a non-material magical super brain with magical super powers. They(he), ANYONE who makes such absurd claims are dead wrong. Thoughts require a material process, thus making the naked assurtion of a non material thinker absurd. The box is still empty no matter who is dressing it up(whatever the pet claim is).

Then fire away!

(note: of course it's absurd. My post did not deal with that.)

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
If theism is the more

If theism is the more rational position, I wish you would convince me. I'm easily convinceable. Is that a word?  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:If theism

butterbattle wrote:

If theism is the more rational position, I wish you would convince me.

It's simple. If there's an urban legend, bet that it's real...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's

butterbattle wrote:

If theism is the more rational position, I wish you would convince me. I'm easily convinceable. Is that a word?  

convincible...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I haven't replied in a

Sorry I haven't replied in a wee bit... been out of pocket for a while with some major projects at work.

BobSpence wrote:

Cantor refused to label the 'transfinite' numbers he described as "infinite" for religious reasons. He felt the "absolute infinite" should refer to God.

He used these words to describe somthinh that had one to one correspondence with real numbers.

Another explicit error on your part, further supporting my assessment of your position. Thank you for that.

I said "at best"... You're getting hasty.

I said "transfinite" to refer to one to one correspondence with natural numbers -- that is an infinitely countable set. I don't think it even approaches. The set of possible errors has to be filled otherwise, or they don't actually exist. (IOW, how can an unstated, untrue proposition exist?). I don't think otherwise that it even approaches an infinite set of possibilities. My reason for focusing on what does exist is that it is limited...and even so, even if the truth us unknown, it is what is known plus one. But even so, there are even options to cover that that actual exist such as esoteric beliefs or some form of gnosticism....

BobSpence wrote:

It is utterly irrelevant whether any person does or does not have a belief which happens to coincide with the 'truth'. That in itself cannot be known, unless and until that 'truth' can be established by valid argument and evidence.

When one cannot do that, then what is one left with? And if superdominance is involved, then one should approach things on pragmatic grounds.

BobSpence wrote:

Yes you are being 'selective', not 'pragmatic', about the set of options you consider. Maybe 'paragmatic' within your own aim, which is to justify your new position, whatever it takes.

Being selective based on reasons to be selective is being pragmatic.

BobSpence wrote:

You attempt to justify your position by arguments which include clear fallacies of logic and errors of math.

Which you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge, or dodge by appeal to yet more fallacious reasoning to accuse me of not understanding.

All I am saying is that you fit the pattern. If you have some deeper problem for falling into the error of Theism, it will require a trained psychologist to diagnose, I guess.

I have made no mistakes... You keep asserting things that I have done which I have not done... That simply overstating my position. In all your attempts, you keep grasping for one thing or another, fallacy after fallacy... while you think you have done something else.

The "cognitive dissonance" could be on your part as well. All in all, I think any such accusation from me or you would result in what is a circumstantial ad hominem.

BobSpence wrote:

Those are more honest than your convoluted and fallacy-ridden attempt to justify your position, by arguments that you apparently find more appropriate to your self-image.

You may be closer to Flew, who you mentioned in the original post, who almost certainly had Dementia when he 'recanted' his Atheism. A bit harsh, but that was the first name you said you were "following in the footsteps of"....

I think questioning Flew's mental condition was precisely the sort of circumstantial ad hominem I am getting at.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Sorry I

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Sorry I haven't replied in a wee bit... been out of pocket for a while with some major projects at work.

BobSpence wrote:

He used these words to describe somthinh that had one to one correspondence with real numbers.

I said "at best"... You're getting hasty.

I said "transfinite" to refer to one to one correspondence with natural numbers -- that is an infinitely countable set. I don't think it even approaches. The set of possible errors has to be filled otherwise, or they don't actually exist. (IOW, how can an unstated, untrue proposition exist?). I don't think otherwise that it even approaches an infinite set of possibilities. My reason for focusing on what does exist is that it is limited...and even so, even if the truth us unknown, it is what is known plus one. But even so, there are even options to cover that that actual exist such as esoteric beliefs or some form of gnosticism....

Where did you get the words I underlined? They are not in my post.

What I said between the first and third paragraph there was:

"All "transfinite" numbers ARE infinite. Even Aleph-0 will mathematically make the probability, in the context we are considering, zero."

"Transfinite" refers to a whole set of numbers, all regarded today as infinite, starting with Aleph-Null, the set of integers.

We are not dealing with the 'set of all  possible errors', we are dealing with the set of all possible 'gods'. Once you are dealing with what is 'supernatural', ie beyond current knowledge and understanding, the possibilities have to assumed to be potentially at least Aleph-null.

You are not focussing on "what does exist" at all, only on what has been proposed or assumed to exist.

So many errors....

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

When one cannot do that, then what is one left with? And if superdominance is involved, then one should approach things on pragmatic grounds.

Nothing.

Superdominance does not address the possibilities of malevolent or deceptive Gods, so it does not avoid the objection.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

If those reasons are not valid, such as excluding possibilities just because noone has proposed a particular 'possible God', it is not 'paragmatic'.

Pragmatism would conclude you have insufficient grounds for pursuing this argument.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

I have made no mistakes... You keep asserting things that I have done which I have not done... That simply overstating my position. In all your attempts, you keep grasping for one thing or another, fallacy after fallacy... while you think you have done something else.

The "cognitive dissonance" could be on your part as well. All in all, I think any such accusation from me or you would result in what is a circumstantial ad hominem.

You have made many, and you are repeating them, and adding to the list, in this post.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

I think questioning Flew's mental condition was precisely the sort of circumstantial ad hominem I am getting at.

It is more than 'circumstantial', altho there is naturally still controversy over that. Anyway, his arguments are some of the weakest.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote: And if

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
And if superdominance is involved

You cannot claim to be 'pragmatic' any longer when you skip the first step of being logical in assigning probability to the likelihood of 'if', in an if/then equation.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

If your 'selected' reasons are based on subjectivity, intuition and not on logical grounds, then you are patently misapplying the term 'pragmatic' to your methodology.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I have made no mistakes...

You have made the mistake of mischaracterizing your methodology.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
You keep asserting things that I have done which I have not done... That simply overstating my position.

There's no need to resort to that.

You demonstrate the topology of your methodology, and you've skipped steps in critical analysis.

It simply doesn't qualify as being 'pragmatic'.

That's not an ad hominem by any means.

Nice attempt to rationally justify Pascal's (irrational fear based) Wager though...

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Kapkao

redneF wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

[...]

[...]

The issue isn't about ubuntuanyone.

The issue is anyone who might not spot the fallacies and non sequiturs in the lines of reasoning he is putting forth, and using that as a basis to make life decisions.

That's the issue...

No shit. I noticed that myself already. Why expend so many resources over one person who has experience in programming and some experience as a (math?) teacher? Well, RRS'ers might do it to educate others about dentrimental types of thinking. So UA becomes a priority again, for (perhaps) the right reasons. So on and so forth.

My issue is with one poster who puffs up his position on activism and debate with hot air claiming to speak for everyone else in a general manner. Except he doesn't speak for anyone but himself, in reality. In the past, he has sought this type of "debate" while not actually addressing a person's post content that he was (supposedly) responding to. What is Brian37's itch with debate? Antitheism? Secularism? Both? I don't know precisely and can't make understanding it a priority. I just know there is only 1 person in addition to some of the more intelligent and well spoken modmins here that can speak for me and about my past behavior: me. Don't use anyone else including Kapkao to add significance to your position, unless you are a moderator/admin. Because, quite simply, you aren't my publicity rep. You (general you) are not a talent scout, a recruiter, or a leader unless you have the ability to be such. Brian37 does not have that ability, nor do I for that matter (yet.) I have zero interest in speaking on behalf of all of RRS because doing so is a farce. It is not within my means to do so with accuracy. If I actually had skills in community management over the internet (a thankless and personally draining position, btw), I might be able to speak for RRS.

Thank you, that is all.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:butterbattle

redneF wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

If theism is the more rational position, I wish you would convince me.

It's simple. If there's an urban legend, bet that it's real...

Quote:

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:My issue is

Kapkao wrote:

My issue is with one poster who puffs up his position on activism and debate with hot air claiming to speak for everyone else in a general manner.

Just for the record, I was making a general comment where it seems you and I would agree. I wasn't aligning with the other poster.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Where did

BobSpence wrote:

"All "transfinite" numbers ARE infinite. Even Aleph-0 will mathematically make the probability, in the context we are considering, zero."

"Transfinite" refers to a whole set of numbers, all regarded today as infinite, starting with Aleph-Null, the set of integers.

We are not dealing with the 'set of all  possible errors', we are dealing with the set of all possible 'gods'. Once you are dealing with what is 'supernatural', ie beyond current knowledge and understanding, the possibilities have to assumed to be potentially at least Aleph-null.

You are not focussing on "what does exist" at all, only on what has been proposed or assumed to exist.

So many errors....

Obviously, you read nothing about what a said. Rather than seek clarity, you make a tangential statement about why Cantor used the word "transfinite" rather than "infinite", which had absolutely nothing to do with anything I said. Then you accuse me of saying something I didn't say , then say I'm in error for doing it. In short, rather than attempting to understand me, you refuse to do so. I made no mistake... All I have from you is a boat load of presumptions, assumptions, and an accusation about my mental state...

BobSpence wrote:

Nothing.

Superdominance does not address the possibilities of malevolent or deceptive Gods, so it does not avoid the objection.

You keep bringing up these red herrings as if they were relevant at all....

BobSpence wrote:

You have made many, and you are repeating them, and adding to the list, in this post.

I hardly keep repeating anything... you keep bringing up objections, unrelated or otherwise, and I keep answering them. If I'm repeating anything, it is the answers to fallacies.

BobSpence wrote:
It is more than 'circumstantial', altho there is naturally still controversy over that. Anyway, his arguments are some of the weakest.

His arguments are one thing, and really isn't my point. The point is that to allege that he converted because of his alleged mental condition is the ad hominem.

Quite honestly, I have nothing more to add here unless you have something new to say....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

So many errors....

Obviously, you read nothing about what a said. Rather than seek clarity, you make a tangential statement about why Cantor used the word "transfinite" rather than "infinite", which had absolutely nothing to do with anything I said. Then you accuse me of saying something I didn't say , then say I'm in error for doing it. In short, rather than attempting to understand me, you refuse to do so. I made no mistake... All I have from you is a boat load of presumptions, assumptions, and an accusation about my mental state...

BobSpence wrote:

Nothing.

You keep bringing up these red herrings as if they were relevant at all....

BobSpence wrote:

I hardly keep repeating anything... you keep bringing up objections, unrelated or otherwise, and I keep answering them. If I'm repeating anything, it is the answers to fallacies.

BobSpence wrote:

His arguments are one thing, and really isn't my point. The point is that to allege that he converted because of his alleged mental condition is the ad hominem.

Quite honestly, I have nothing more to add here unless you have something new to say....

Run away. Typical behavior, when one doesn't have an argument to make they complain, instead of making an argument,

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Run away.

Brian37 wrote:

Run away. Typical behavior, when one doesn't have an argument to make they complain, instead of making an argument,

Run away? Complain?  but if pointing out fallacies of irrelevance constitutes complaining in your mind, then so be it.  You can interpret my unwillingness to post as "run(ning) away", but that would be yet another caricature...

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Brian37

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Run away? Complain?  but if pointing out fallacies of irrelevance constitutes complaining in your mind, then so be it.  You can interpret my unwillingness to post as "run(ning) away", but that would be yet another caricature...

Finding ways to label legitimate criticism as "fallacies of irrelevance" amounts to a form of 'complaint', not perceived by you yourself as such, of course.

I agree with your assessment that it appears futile to continue, your subconcious drive for self-justification, to avoid a paralysing cognitive dissonance, are just so apparent to an observer. I know there is a risk of an element of the same process occurring within my own mind, but your clear confusion around the concepts of 'infinite' and 'transfinite' and their implications for your so-called argument, just to point to the most recent example, are just too blatant. The main person you are trying to convince of the validity of your new position is yourself, maybe sub-consciously.

I'm sorry, but don't be surprised if I stop responding to your confused ramblings, just as I expect you to stop trying to respond to me.

I may still comment on your posts if you make some even more absurd and nonsensical 'argument', for the benefit of other observers.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Brian37

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Here is the bottom line. No one eats pizza every day. Sometimes they eat chicken, or have soup, or a burger, some people go from eating meant to being vegetarians. You flipped positions. BIG WOOPTY DOO. People have gone from being Muslim to Christian. People go from one position to another all the time, and all that proves is that they switched positions.

EVIDENCE is what you lack, and that is what we are focused on. If you had any you could beat the world to the patent office and win a Nobel Prize. Your arguments have been used countless times in many different ways by countless people prior to this thread. The box is still empty and always has been.

You ARE running away because you don't have anything. Instead of blaming us for your bad arguments, blame yourself for swallowing them.

Now, if you post again, stop bitching, and make an argument.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:EVIDENCE is

Brian37 wrote:

EVIDENCE is what you lack, and that is what we are focused on. If you had any you could beat the world to the patent office and win a Nobel Prize. Your arguments have been used countless times in many different ways by countless people prior to this thread. The box is still empty and always has been.

You ARE running away because you don't have anything. Instead of blaming us for your bad arguments, blame yourself for swallowing them.

Now, if you post again, stop bitching, and make an argument.

You're saying I made an argument on one hand then say I'm complaining.... then asking me to make an argument on the other hand. So what is it?

My argument is based on secondary modes of justification. If I had evidence for it, I would need to wager as I have done, would I?

Insofar as I can tell, there's nothing to runaway from. Simply desisting from a perpetual repetition hardly amounts to running away... it's breaking a mindless cycle of baseless accusations pertaining to my mental state and same-old-same-old... Heck, even BobSpence  restated his ad hominem again in his last post.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read some of the first

I read some of the first page, but I still don't get what your supposed reasoning is for this change nor I do really even understand what you believe now that was any different than before. Post evidence reasoning? How exactly did it lead to theism?

It reminds me of when I tried to gain an understanding Eloise's beliefs and was similarly baffled.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote: It

butterbattle wrote:

It reminds me of when I tried to gain an understanding Eloise's beliefs and was similarly baffled.  

Speaking of which, what has happened to Eloise ? Hadn't seen her post on here in a long time. Even though I never quite understood her positions either.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Quote:My argument is based

Quote:
My argument is based on secondary modes of justification

I do have to give you credit, this is the first time I have seen the dodge of reality "I am in denial that this is merely what I like believing" put like the quote above.

Translation:"I cant do it through empirical scientific method so I will make up bunk philosophy as a substitute"

Secondly, Scientific method does not "justify" it TESTS TO VERIFY.

Anything you make up can be justified with mere mental masturbation. Evidence is when you can test it and thrash it over and over and over and hand it over to others with no horse in the race and they still come up with the same data.

You don't have that.

Quote:
My argument is based on secondary modes of justification

Ok, so this is an argument, and no, it is not complaining, but it is still not evidence. I merely sounds like something you bought because you cant apply your pet deity to universal scientific method.

If "Secondary modes of justification" was valid, why aren't you at the patient office now? Why don't you have a Nobel Prize in science now?

Sounds like pseudo intellectual junk to me.

And it IS because of your mental state. Just like the mental states of the Egyptians falsely lead them to believe that the sun was a thinking being. If you want to believe something badly enough, that mental state will allow you to. Placebos, sugar pills, gap filling, can fill you with all sorts of warm fuzzies that in reality merely amount to wishful thinking.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
BobSpence  restated his ad hominem again in his last post.

So you allege.

Where did Bob Spence commit an ad hominem, either a direct one or a circumstantial one?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I do have to

Brian37 wrote:

I do have to give you credit, this is the first time I have seen the dodge of reality "I am in denial that this is merely what I like believing" put like the quote above.

Translation:"I cant do it through empirical scientific method so I will make up bunk philosophy as a substitute"

Strawmen don't serve you well...

Brian37 wrote:

Secondly, Scientific method does not "justify" it TESTS TO VERIFY.

Anything you make up can be justified with mere mental masturbation. Evidence is when you can test it and thrash it over and over and over and hand it over to others with no horse in the race and they still come up with the same data.

You don't have that.

Ok, so this is an argument, and no, it is not complaining, but it is still not evidence. I merely sounds like something you bought because you cant apply your pet deity to universal scientific method.

So what's your point? I said from the beginning this was in lieu of evidence.

Brian37 wrote:

If "Secondary modes of justification" was valid, why aren't you at the patient office now? Why don't you have a Nobel Prize in science now?

If some one awarded anyone a medal for science based on such things, I would really question what they committee is calling "science". It's not science. I've said that already, so move on.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Where did Bob

redneF wrote:

Where did Bob Spence commit an ad hominem, either a direct one or a circumstantial one?

Take into account his comments concerning Antony Flew, the second paragraph of his last post, and his initial post... what else do I need to say?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:redneF

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

Take into account his comments concerning Antony Flew, the second paragraph of his last post, and his initial post... what else do I need to say?

I'm going to ask again.

S P E C I F I C A L L Y, where did Bob Spence commit an ad hominem, either a direct one or a circumstantial one?

Please quote his posts in your response to this request so we can analyze if your allegations are the truth.

Or maybe you don't understand that when you make an allegation, you yourself go on trial as well...

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Where did Bob

redneF wrote:

I'll entertain you here...

BobSpence wrote:

"So you only have emotional reasons for your position"

"that it appears futile to continue, your subconcious drive for self-justification, to avoid a paralysing cognitive dissonance, are just so apparent to an observer. I know there is a risk of an element of the same process occurring within my own mind, but your clear confusion around the concepts of 'infinite' and 'transfinite' and their implications for your so-called argument, just to point to the most recent example, are just too blatant. The main person you are trying to convince of the validity of your new position is yourself, maybe sub-consciously."

"I listened to yesterday explained the way our brain can get into this mode after making some significant decision which can not be easily and fully justified, especially if it is at odds with a previous assumption. It is a form of cognitive dissonance. You seem to be exemplifying it."

"You may be closer to Flew, who you mentioned in the original post, who almost certainly had Dementia when he 'recanted' his Atheism. A bit harsh, but that was the first name you said you were "following in the footsteps of"...."

He's pressing the case for some sort of "cognitive dissonance" as he calls it -- He said made a claim that I had an appeal to emotions, then said I was like Flew who was "almost certainly" suffering from dementia....

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

I'll entertain you here...

Perfect.

This I gotta see...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

"So you only have emotional reasons for your position"

"that it appears futile to continue, your subconcious drive for self-justification, to avoid a paralysing cognitive dissonance, are just so apparent to an observer. I know there is a risk of an element of the same process occurring within my own mind, but your clear confusion around the concepts of 'infinite' and 'transfinite' and their implications for your so-called argument, just to point to the most recent example, are just too blatant. The main person you are trying to convince of the validity of your new position is yourself, maybe sub-consciously."

"I listened to yesterday explained the way our brain can get into this mode after making some significant decision which can not be easily and fully justified, especially if it is at odds with a previous assumption. It is a form of cognitive dissonance. You seem to be exemplifying it."

"You may be closer to Flew, who you mentioned in the original post, who almost certainly had Dementia when he 'recanted' his Atheism. A bit harsh, but that was the first name you said you were "following in the footsteps of"...."

He's pressing the case for some sort of "cognitive dissonance" as he calls it -- He said made a claim that I had an appeal to emotions, then said I was like Flew who was "almost certainly" suffering from dementia....

Do you know what cognitive dissonance is??

It's when 2 ideas seem to contradict each other.

Did you think it was a mental disorder?

As far as the comment about Flew, this is quote mined.

When something is taken out of context, it can mean something entirely different. Here's the original context (emphasis mine):

"You attempt to justify your position by arguments which include clear fallacies of logic and errors of math.

Most believers seem to ultimately fall back to the position that they cannot really imagine God not existing, or they have had a deep experience of 'communicating' with God in some sense, either just feeling his presence, or receiving a 'message' of some sort, or even a response to a prayer.

You may be closer to Flew, who you mentioned in the original post, who almost certainly had Dementia when he 'recanted' his Atheism. A bit harsh, but that was the first name you said you were "following in the footsteps of"...."

Flew could have "ultimately fall back to the position that they cannot really imagine God not existing, or they have had a deep experience of 'communicating' with God in some sense, either just feeling his presence, or receiving a 'message' of some sort, or even a response to a prayer.

With, or without dementia, someone could experience all of these.

You mentioned in your OP that you were following in the steps of Flew (granted among others).

That would indicate that you could have come to the same conclusions as him, either just like him, or not just like him.

What's the problem with that?

Bob didn't specifically say you WERE like Flew.

Did he?

Do you want to run a truth table and find out how many options there are between the states of mind between you and Flew in order to show how many possibilities there are between you and Flew?

You haven't proven your allegations against Bob, whatsoever.

This is added to your numerous false allegations of him using fallacies, and false allegations against me (that I've caught on to).

It's probably better that you just stick to the soundness and validity of your justifications for contemplating both an afterlife and a subsequent 'reward'.

You're already struggling to convince us of those...

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Do you know

redneF wrote:

I know what it is. The reason I even bring it up was in light of the "emotional reasons" and attempts to "convince myself of the validity" of my new position as if there was some sort of emotive struggle consciously or subconsciously that I am going through.

In reference to Flew, no, it isn't' quote mined. Read the post itself. The link was to some alleged struggle that I'm dealing with... confusion or otherwise such that I'm not thinking clearly.

redneF wrote:

Bob never said I was Flew. He did allege that I was "closer to Flew" in the context of dementia, emotive struggles, and alleged cognitive dissonance.

redneF wrote:

This is added to your numerous false allegations of him using fallacies, and false allegations against me (that I've caught on to).

It's probably better that you just stick to the soundness and validity of your justifications for contemplating both an afterlife and a subsequent 'reward'.

You're already struggling to convince us of those...

The allegation still stands -- I don't recant it, and evidentially is clear what he was talking about. Whatever sort of weaseling you want to do to say otherwise is vacuous attempt.

I was never trying to convince anyone of anything nor did I expect such news to be greeted cordially. I expected that it would be attacked and questioned.

My stated purpose for coming out as a theist was purely existential. At the end of the day what matters is that I did that.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

I know what it is.

You'd have to prove that you know what it is. Just saying that you know what it is, does not make it so.

Next...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
The reason I even bring it up was in light of the "emotional reasons" and attempts to "convince myself of the validity" of my new position as if there was some sort of emotive struggle consciously or subconsciously that I am going through.

Objectively, if any proposition has no evidence to show true/not true. It's a non starter. It takes evidence to verify/falsify any proposition.

Given that there are a seemingly endless list of propositions without evidence, what would be the impetus for a person to deliberate over any of them if they didn't have to?

It seems to follow that it would be for emotional reasons.

Feel free to argue that.

Next...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
In reference to Flew, no, it isn't' quote mined.

The you would have quoted the whole paragraph.

It was not quoted in it's entirety.

So, it is quote mined.

Next...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
  The link was to some alleged struggle that I'm dealing with...

You've chosen not to be skeptical of unjustified claims of an afterlife and a 'superdominance', and deliberating in hopes of a reward from an 'imagined' superdominance.

You don't see that as a struggle that you're dealing with?

I see no basis for even contemplating these things.

If you chose not to deliberate; that would entail 'nothing to deal with' and 'no struggle'.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

Bob never said I was Flew.

Nobody would say you were Flew.

He's dead.

Are you done being dense?

Next...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
 He did allege that I was "closer to Flew"

Yes.

You also said you were following in the footsteps of Flew.

Have you read about what's been written about how Flew 'deconverted'?

Next...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
The allegation still stands

You need to recalculate your odds that it stands.

Next...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
Whatever sort of weaseling you want to do to say otherwise is vacuous attempt.

That's an ad hominem, BTW.

I'm not weaseling, I'm showing the fallacies of your claims, Asshole.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I was never trying to convince anyone of anything...

Ya, you did, Asshole.

You alleged P L E N T Y

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
At the end of the day what matters is that I did that.

That speaks volumes.

Because there's little chance of any serious repercussions to you from us, you aren't concerned much about what you say here.

It matters little to you that you ran your mouth and blatantly lied about people, because it's the internet.

Lucky for you, Asshole.

I'd ban your ass if I was a 'superdominance' here.