I've De-De-Converted....

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've De-De-Converted....

Been a while... I have some bad (or good news depending on how you look at it)...

I've de-de-converted.... Sorry if this comes as a shock... call me irrational or whatever.. just thought I'd let you guys know.

I've following in the footsteps of others, I suppose: Flew, McGrath, Lewis, Collins, among others...

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
So we can ignore what you

So we can ignore what you said in your OP?.

Another example of your thinking which fails to see contradictory or inconsistent aspects of your your very confused thinking, while at the same time asking me to explain or reconcile what you see as similar issues in my accounts.

To refuse to concede that my quite plausible example is a clear case that anyone with actual basic empathic moral drives would not condemn just displays your stubborn refusal to admit you have a weak position.

Your contra-example of buying a greasy hamburger rather than donating that money to a charity is no less 'far-fetched' than mine, and does not counter mine, which did not even involve any cost to the person to respond to the situation.

I will agree that there is an issue about how much we spend on unnecessary or even unhealthy indulgences which would be better donated, but the larger picture is that if we simply stopped all such spending within our economy it would be catastrophic for it, and turning our countries into 'economic basket cases' is not going to help the third world. Something ought to be done to redirect our economies to be less wasteful, which will hopefully free up resources to assist others, but it is not that simple to turn societies around. Your arguments here about obligation or lack of it are certainly unlikely to help.

The better strategy, as I outlined, is to empower the people of those countries to get themselves out of their situation, and one very important contribution to that is much of our technology, which is itself an outcome of our consumer society. So the issues, examined from a broader perspective, are not quite so obvious as you present. This is the sort of thing i mean when I refer to your thinking a 'simplistic'.

Your obsession with this 'obligation' issue is a red herring here. And your continuing insistence that there is a a problem with the 'Problem of Evil' argument agianst the 'goodness' of God, based on your idea, is another clear failure on your part to 'get' the bigger picture.

And finally, Occam's Razor is not about the simplest solution, it is about the one involving the least new assumptions. And you are the one breaking it, by contemplating the totally unnecessary idea of a God.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another point you don't

Another point you don't understand, is that many people here, such as myself, and certainly cj, have already seen the issues you raise, and more, long ago, and have considered how to address them, and have gone on to recognize wider perspectives than what you are stuck on.

Who acknowledge that there are deep ethical/moral issues, but they are not realistically going to be addressed by the simple ideas you are focussing on.

Were you joking when you responded to redneF with

Quote:

Well... in any case, we'll both find out one day. If it is all the same, then I rather be on the winning side than the losing... eh?

Because that has at least two basic fallacies.

1. We will not find out one day, unless there is some 'life after death', which seems, on the evidence, extremely unlikely.

2. You are assuming that there is one possible category of God, who will punish you if you don't 'accept' him. Give the intrinsic impossibility of actually knowing anything about the motives of such a being, and which among the infinite range of 'possible' god scenarios actually pertains, if any, you have no grounds for such an assumption being the most likely.

So I hope you were just being flippant, otherwise you just went even further down in my estimation of your honesty or reasoning ability. Not that you care, since I am simply refusing to acknowledge ideas I disagree with, in your eyes. It is so clear that I didn't present an argument in this post, isn't it. I just said you are dumb, didn't I.

Now I am promising never to explain any further why I think Pascal sucks, I really want to demonstrate how you will focus on such issues while ignoring any substantive points I make. As you do with Dawkins.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of the weaknesses of arguing the

'problem of evil' to me is the fact it confers possible existence onto a god concept without definition or any external proof. The problem of evil does not serve to prove or disprove god. It's just white noise, in my opinion. To take on the philosophical argument that a god concept would not be responsible to humans for its behaviour seems to me to accept that if one's argument failed or was weak, then that god concept's possible existence was partly proved or at least strengthened. 

We would agree, I think, that evil is subjective despite the fact there are similarities across human cultures. It  depends very much on individual perspective. The idea right and wrong are objective and representative of universal laws that are measurable and constant is unsupported by the evidence. The idea a moral god created a being capable of moral judgments is equally capable of being reversed and the cultural morality of gods suggests moral man created moral god, not the other way around. 

Along these lines, it's instructive that the moral nature of the OT anthropomorphic god concept suffers from the same arbitrary moral codes as you'd find in any inward looking and uninformed society in direct competition with societies that were equally provincial. Compare it to the completely different social morality of the later jesus which reflects the wholly different morality of the society that spawned him - a multicultural Roman empire of cities with higher levels of education, welfare, healthcare and justice than any before it. A society that was inclusive, had a shared identity and did not need to distinguish itself from local competitors. Further, jesus-doctrine serves up eastern influences that suggest it was more than spice that was being imported from India. 

Regardless of these speculations, Ubuntu's god concept doesn't conform to anything typical and seems to be in the process of evolution. Personally, I don't believe philosophy can prove the necessity of a god one way or another but there are schools of thought in it that certainly allow those thus inclined to rationalise relationships with a supposedly moral god that cannot be proved using testable explanations. According to such people god is beyond reason. Personally, I see this position as appealing to complexity on one hand and ultimately being redundant on the other. No one can know if their philosophy is consistent with reality if there is no empirical framework supporting it. 

Philosophy then, certainly can be used to frame ideas about a god but it is devoid of cogent material proofs that such a being exists. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Who said

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Who said anything about the Christian God or the OT here? Christian theism is but one brand among many....

Oh yes. The old god of convenience, I recognize him well.

Isn't the real reason for de-de-conversion for social reasons and too feel better? Then you believe what you want to believe. This whole arguing about theology is BS.

Isn't the real problem that atheism doesn't have as good a social support as church? That atheism is socially unpopular? That atheism doesn't cause you to feel good about life or your mortality? If being atheist could do all that, you'd adjust your beliefs to believe whatever makes you feel good, right?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
User is offlineOffline
A true Free Thinker. Well done.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Been a while... I have some bad (or good news depending on how you look at it)...

I've de-de-converted.... Sorry if this comes as a shock... call me irrational or whatever.. just thought I'd let you guys know.

I've following in the footsteps of others, I suppose: Flew, McGrath, Lewis, Collins, among others...

Atheists converting. Theists de-converting. The God Delusion. The God Conclusion.....

There is something wonderful about the freedom of thought and will that human beings have.

And practically every formal AvT debate I have seen/heard included an acknowledgment by both sides that this subject is one of the most important questions that has ever occupied human thought.

Theres a guy on Undernet IRC who, for many years, used to be the channel manager of #atheist -  Username "Altkey" - a strong atheist and ideological opponent of religion.

He was there when I first started visiting his channel in 1996. 

A few years ago he converted to Christianity and when asked why, he would explain that he simply came to the gradual conclusion that atheism was just too restrictive on his mind. 

He was quite right IMO because even if you dont think one single religion answers everything, I would argue that "reality" is way too complex for atheology to manage.

Atheism : the no-God hypothesis - is a square you cant think outside of and it is a boring place to live for the (massively over-engineered) human mind.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Thoughts

Brian37 wrote:

Thoughts require a material process. PERIOD. To suggest that there is a "thing" out there that can think like a human that has no material, IS ABSURD, by any name, no matter what attributes you want to give it or what name you want to give it.

You are no different than any other human in human history. You may have been an atheist, but as far as I am concerned you might as well never have left theism. You are suffering the same self inflicted delusion of all the anthropomorphism no matter what pretty colors you want to slap on your empty box. You are merely projecting human qualities on a non-existent fantasy.

There never was a god and never will be a god. Gap filling is gap filling no matter who is doing it or why. All you are proving here is that you had a change of mind. Big woopty doo.

"I once was" is not an argument. Humans switch positions all the time, that hardly constitutes a universal standard. It just means you fell for something you like believing.

WHEN you can prove your pet invisible friend claim like we can prove DNA, mitosis, computers, cell phones, galaxies, black holes, ect ect ect, until then you have nothing.

I'm sorry it bothers you that I am pulling back the curtain and exposing your fantasy for what it is. You merely want a super hero to exist. Just because you claimed to have been an atheist doesn't mean shit to me. I used to be a Christian, so what?

"It's true, why don't you believe me".

EVIDENCE, plain and simple. You don't have it otherwise you'd have a Nobel Prize and beat everyone to the patent office by now.

"Allah, God, Yahweh, Thor, Marduke, god(generic), invisible thinking "something", are the same as Harry Potter. Klingons and tooth fairy. Fiction is fiction no matter how you dress it up and delude yourself into swallowing crap, no matter how elaborate the crap is.

Your pet fictional invisible friend is no different than any claimed in human history. It is merely another delusion with different colors.

What does any of this have to do with anythnig I said about moral obligation?

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Brian37

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Thoughts require a material process. PERIOD. To suggest that there is a "thing" out there that can think like a human that has no material, IS ABSURD, by any name, no matter what attributes you want to give it or what name you want to give it.

You are no different than any other human in human history. You may have been an atheist, but as far as I am concerned you might as well never have left theism. You are suffering the same self inflicted delusion of all the anthropomorphism no matter what pretty colors you want to slap on your empty box. You are merely projecting human qualities on a non-existent fantasy.

There never was a god and never will be a god. Gap filling is gap filling no matter who is doing it or why. All you are proving here is that you had a change of mind. Big woopty doo.

"I once was" is not an argument. Humans switch positions all the time, that hardly constitutes a universal standard. It just means you fell for something you like believing.

WHEN you can prove your pet invisible friend claim like we can prove DNA, mitosis, computers, cell phones, galaxies, black holes, ect ect ect, until then you have nothing.

I'm sorry it bothers you that I am pulling back the curtain and exposing your fantasy for what it is. You merely want a super hero to exist. Just because you claimed to have been an atheist doesn't mean shit to me. I used to be a Christian, so what?

EVIDENCE, plain and simple. You don't have it otherwise you'd have a Nobel Prize and beat everyone to the patent office by now.

"Allah, God, Yahweh, Thor, Marduke, god(generic), invisible thinking "something", are the same as Harry Potter. Klingons and tooth fairy. Fiction is fiction no matter how you dress it up and delude yourself into swallowing crap, no matter how elaborate the crap is.

Your pet fictional invisible friend is no different than any claimed in human history. It is merely another delusion with different colors.

Obligation I am fine with. If I don't pay my electric bill my electricity gets cut off. But I am not ok with blind loyalty or blind obligation. I would not be fine with my power company rigging the meter, or prices. Consent seems to be a concept you miss.

A bunch of Germans were sold a utopia and told they were "obligated" to defend the father land. We all know how that turned out.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:I don't know if

Gauche wrote:

I don't know if it's malevolence. I was only saying that if one doesn't help another and is said to be malevolent the accusation is about his attitude towards the person he didn't help. It's more a question of wanting to help than being obliged. I think the idea is that the more someone can help the safer it is to assume that they're not helping because of ill-will.

Most people would agree that there is a moral obligation to help those you know and like because you voluntarily entered into a relationship with mutual expectations. When it comes to people you don't know and like the answer seems to be in general no but with some exceptions. There appear to be morally acceptable limits to how unhelpful one can be.

Finally... someone answered the question.....

How does this moral obligation fit into the realm of happenstance such as the situations provided in the prior post concerning raped children or children getting run over by a bus?

I don't know that I expect my friends and family to help me in a bind though.

But at the same time, I want to be there for them if they need me.

In any case, I don't that such expectations constitute moral obligations to help.

Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Freedom of thought will not be bullied.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

"...anthropomorphism...projecting human qualities..."

Well DUH!

We are humans. We think human thoughts. Our perspectives are HUMAN perspectives.

A dog, a fish, a bird, a human....each perceive reality through different eyes.

Since when are humans supposed to think like NON-HUMANS?

How ELSE are we supposed to describe the other beings we find existing in our human reality if not by reference to HUMAN language and HUMAN attempts at description of them?

OF COURSE we describe divinity in ways we can relate to!

What other way do we have?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:So we can

BobSpence wrote:

So we can ignore what you said in your OP?.

The thread has someone shifted away from the OP to other issues. As threads get long, they tend to do this, so it seems.

BobSpence wrote:

Another example of your thinking which fails to see contradictory or inconsistent aspects of your your very confused thinking, while at the same time asking me to explain or reconcile what you see as similar issues in my accounts.

To refuse to concede that my quite plausible example is a clear case that anyone with actual basic empathic moral drives would not condemn just displays your stubborn refusal to admit you have a weak position.

The weak positions is not mine, rather those who cannot translate the options to choose into a moral obligation to do so. Are you going to make a connection between empathy and moral obligations? Until you have  that, you don't have anything other than an appeal to emotions.

BobSpence wrote:

Your contra-example of buying a greasy hamburger rather than donating that money to a charity is no less 'far-fetched' than mine, and does not counter mine, which did not even involve any cost to the person to respond to the situation.

I will agree that there is an issue about how much we spend on unnecessary or even unhealthy indulgences which would be better donated, but the larger picture is that if we simply stopped all such spending within our economy it would be catastrophic for it, and turning our countries into 'economic basket cases' is not going to help the third world. Something ought to be done to redirect our economies to be less wasteful, which will hopefully free up resources to assist others, but it is not that simple to turn societies around. Your arguments here about obligation or lack of it are certainly unlikely to help.

I agree with you on the matter of not spending etc. What I was getting at was an issue of moral obligation concerning my actions: could I be held responsible for the underdevelopment of a child be cause I chose to but a hamburger instead? That's what I was getting at...

BobSpence wrote:

The better strategy, as I outlined, is to empower the people of those countries to get themselves out of their situation, and one very important contribution to that is much of our technology, which is itself an outcome of our consumer society. So the issues, examined from a broader perspective, are not quite so obvious as you present. This is the sort of thing i mean when I refer to your thinking a 'simplistic'.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I pressing a point... that's all. I'm the logic employed in your example and applying it elsewhere. But what seems to be the case is you're creating a red herring rather than dealing with the issue.

BobSpence wrote:

Your obsession with this 'obligation' issue is a red herring here. And your continuing insistence that there is a a problem with the 'Problem of Evil' argument agianst the 'goodness' of God, based on your idea, is another clear failure on your part to 'get' the bigger picture.

My "obsession" with obligation is the lynchpin on the grounds by which some many other people unjustly judge others... because a particular individual fails to act in a manner that another think they should have acted.

BobSpence wrote:

And finally, Occam's Razor is not about the simplest solution, it is about the one involving the least new assumptions. And you are the one breaking it, by contemplating the totally unnecessary idea of a God.

Occam's Razor says, "Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate" my Latin is rusty, but it translate to Many must not be multiplied beyond necessity... I'm not talking about simplest solutions or eve simplest explanations... I'm trying to to overly complicate issues in a manner such that don't need to be.

Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
User is offlineOffline
@ubuntuAnyone

A take-two, re-run proliferation of all the so-called arguments for atheism at this point in time seems to overlook the fact that you have heard them all before right?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Lion IRC wrote:ubuntuAnyone

Lion IRC wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

"...anthropomorphism...projecting human qualities..."

Well DUH!

We are humans. We think human thoughts. Our perspectives are HUMAN perspectives.

A dog, a fish, a bird, a human....each perceive reality through different eyes.

Since when are humans supposed to think like NON-HUMANS?

How ELSE are we supposed to describe the other beings we find existing in our human reality if not by reference to HUMAN language and HUMAN attempts at description of them?

OF COURSE we describe divinity in ways we can relate to!

What other way do we have?

Funny how you pontificate about super heros that cant be proven to exist, but yet you and I type on computers. I hate to tell you this, but computers were not created by prayer of any god,Not Allah, or Thor or your zombie god.

We have reality. Human fantasy is the unfortunate gap filling idiots like you do. You could call your pet god Biff and it would mean the same to reality as pink unicorns or snarfwidgets.

All you admit to here is having swallowed the imaginations of others. Kwanza and Scientology got started the same way.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
And of course divinity

And of course divinity itself is still just a human construct, all we can ever have access to.

Even if there were a God we could not KNOW it in any unambiguous sense, or what its motivation or intentions were.

So imagining a God ultimately doesn't do us any good in better understanding reality, but it is clearly adaptable to give us a more manageable substitute for Truth.

Unfortunately, since 'God' either does not exist or is unknowable, if reality really does impact us, we will likely be at a disadvantage if we have spent our life indulging in a comforting myth.

I can personally testify that throwing the God concept on the trash-heap where it deserves to be, and embracing an honest quest for actual knowledge and understanding can work extremely well, and gives one a continuing narrative of discovery and REAL 'revelation' ( not to be confused with the fake biblical version) to look forward to.

Of course, this requires a minimum level of education and appropriate mental skills which not everyone may possess...

It has worked for my entire life, and as I realize, from time to time, that the end is a lot closer than it used to be, although hopefully I can still look forward to a few more decades, since God has rewarded me for my lifelong rejection and denigration of him with a still vigorous state of health,  , I have no real qualms at how I will face the final sleep. Not that I want it to happen any time soon...

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Another

BobSpence wrote:

Another point you don't understand, is that many people here, such as myself, and certainly cj, have already seen the issues you raise, and more, long ago, and have considered how to address them, and have gone on to recognize wider perspectives than what you are stuck on.

Who acknowledge that there are deep ethical/moral issues, but they are not realistically going to be addressed by the simple ideas you are focussing on.

BobSpence wrote:

Were you joking when you responded to redneF with

A terse response... whiles sometimes, redneF is thoughtful... sometimes, he seems like he's trolling. I'm never sure which one it is, so I spend a lot of time replying to him until I'm sure that he really wants to talk about the issues.

BobSpence wrote:

1. We will not find out one day, unless there is some 'life after death', which seems, on the evidence, extremely unlikely.

My problem with that is that even "extremely unlikely" is swamped by superdominance on pragmatic grounds.

BobSpence wrote:

2. You are assuming that there is one possible category of God, who will punish you if you don't 'accept' him. Give the intrinsic impossibility of actually knowing anything about the motives of such a being, and which among the infinite range of 'possible' god scenarios actually pertains, if any, you have no grounds for such an assumption being the most likely.

The "Many God's Objection" I think is easily overcome by a categorical treatment of the issue. That's at least one place I think were Pascal was short sighted the application of his wager. If one treats such things categorically, the particular brand of theism becomes a secondary issue.

BobSpence wrote:

Now I am promising never to explain any further why I think Pascal sucks, I really want to demonstrate how you will focus on such issues while ignoring any substantive points I make. As you do with Dawkins.

I don't know if you didn't read my posts about Dawkins or what, but what I said about him was not that he was unintelligent or anything of the like, rather that he says nothing new or offers no new insight... Dawkins os a brilliant biologist, and I think his work in the work of biology insightful and groundbreaking. I didn't find that in his anti-theological writings though... that's the point. I can deal with the same issues Dawkins raised without ever having read his books...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Lion IRC wrote:A take-two,

Lion IRC wrote:

A take-two, re-run proliferation of all the so-called arguments for atheism at this point in time seems to overlook the fact that you have heard them all before right?

Yes we have. Play chess enough and you can see your opposition's move. Fantasy lovers like you like to treat the pawn like the queen or king or rook. When we expect you to stick to the rules you set up, you move the goal posts because you lack consistency. Sometimes the pawn is the king.

It basically amounts to "I win because it feels right". We call you on an inconsistency and you run like a cockroach.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would judge that PW fails

I would judge that PW fails precisely on pragmatic grounds.

What variation on 'superdominance' did you have in mind?

What I saw on Wikipedia still fails because it assumes that if God exists you get infinite reward. Which ignores the options that an actual God will punish you, maybe infinitely, as per Hell,  or ignore you, perhaps for being silly enough to fall for his scam. IOW it makes the unjustified assumption that the God is the Abrahamic God as imagined in Christianity.

The Wager also assumes that belief in God makes you happier even if he does not exist, which by no means logically follows.

Given your equivocation on the nature of the God you are thinking may exist, that makes you either dishonest or inconsistent.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seriously, Lion

Lion IRC wrote:

Atheism : the no-God hypothesis - is a square you cant think outside of and it is a boring place to live for the (massively over-engineered) human mind.

we are agnostic atheists and see no proof of a vanishingly possible god. Unlike theists who insist without evidence that they know the ultimate source of all, we are trying to understand what can be proven to be true. 

Your assertions have out-run their lines of supply. Show us some proof or admit to making assumptions. Admit these hypotheses are unsupported by data. Admit you know as little as we do. Open your mind...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
"No god" is the logical

"No god" is the logical default position, given what we now know of the Universe.

We refuse to climb back into the out-dated God box, in the total absence of any reason to, apart from a desire to shut out and deny reality.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:What

BobSpence wrote:

What I saw on Wikipedia still fails because it assumes that if God exists you get infinite reward. Which ignores the options that an actual God will punish you, maybe infinitely, as per Hell,  or ignore you, perhaps for being silly enough to fall for his scam. IOW it makes the unjustified assumption that the God is the Abrahamic God as imagined in Christianity.

Superdominance doesn't have to be infinite... it can be arbitrarily large.

And punishment doesn't have to be factored in at all...

Second, the entity giving the "payout" in Pascalian terms does not necessarily have to be a god per se... it could a state free from the angst of this world as found in Dharmic religions.

BobSpence wrote:

The Wager also assumes that belief in God makes you happier even if he does not exist, which by no means logically follows.

I think that is a common misrepresentation about Pascal. Pascal sounds more like Keirkegaard in that he sees ambivalence as the barricade to contentment and completeness. Like Keirkegaard he thinks that a person is more content and more complete when he or she commits to something...

EDIT: Pascal was a contemporary of De Cartes. De Cartes was probably the dominant thinker on continental Europe at the time, and he was really pushing hardcore skepticism. I think Pascal bought this idea, but wasn't existentially satisfied with the results, and why he even wagered in the first place.

BobSpence wrote:

Given your equivocation on the nature of the God you are thinking may exist, that makes you either dishonest or inconsistent.

What you are calling equivocation is misplaced. I'm not deliberately using ambiguity... Like I've said before, this is a rather recent development in my life, and I haven't committed to a particular form of theism...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:redneF

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:
That's what I thought, and why I asked you what was missing in your life.

You make a lot of assumptions about what I believe...

I didn't make any assumptions about what you believe. You posted your beliefs that you'd rather err on the side of caution in respect to an afterlife.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
...one does not have to consider retribution...merely reward.

Case in point. The carrot on the stick, the possibility of going to an afterlife.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

Between 2 or more people. They both don't lose, but can gain.

zero-sum is that neither side can gain the upper hand...

It's about trading amongst entities. It's not about playing the lottery.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

In your application what your are saying is 'you win some, you lose some', which is not a zero sum game.

I was talking about in the context of evidence-based reasoning...

Ya, I know. You're betting on the supernatural and hoping you win the jackpot. That's got nothing to do with zero-sum in trading.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

I've done better, I've given you the correct definition.

And I used it correctly...

100% wrong

You're not interested in an honest pursuit of turth if you're to go to those lengths to lie. You can lie to yourself in some lame attempt to preserve your self pride. I don't care about your pride, and am calling you on your bullshit.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
... so what is your point?

That you were 100% wrong.

Anyone on this forum can look up 'zero-sum' and find out the real meaning and context that it's used in, and that you were using 'buzz words' to try and sound more profound.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

In relationship to arguments for and and against god.... I said nothing about "faith-based reasoning", rather pragmatism based on what is wise and unwise.

You're going to err on the side of caution. I got that.

But you're trying to blow smoke up peoples' asses if you are trying to assert that you're being logical.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

So, I'll ask again, what's missing in your life that makes you anxious about knowing if there is a supernatural or not?

A loaded question... it assumes that something is missing, as if all who believes in a god are missing something...

Believing in legends and myths that talk about an afterlife signals a need.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

If god exists, then (b)...

You're getting made at a self-made requirement you gave to god... that's the problem...

Well, it's not my problem. I'm just explaining what's plainly obvious amongst those who see the contradiction between the gospel accounts of a loving and just god, and reality.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

Not true. I have my own mind, and that I can make up my own mind about what is 'just'.

Punishing the son for the sins of the father is not just, not even according to the theist's worldview, since evil exists because of the 'father', and who is the very first 'father'?

Any guesses?

Why would the 'creator' of everything good and bad be exempt from 'justice'? Ohhhhh, because there isn't a 'society' of gods that he lives amongst? Wouldn't that be convenient for him?

The problem is, it is 'logically' possible in some world where 'creation' was a collaborative effort among a pantheon of gods. Now, in this possible world, where would the 'ultimate' law be derived from????

I imagine there would be no moratorium of justice in heaven, like there is on earth, and therefore no 'evil' people running around causing suffering to others for their own gain. I would be totally justified in having a grievance for god being able to be as 'just' while we are on earth, but not exercising that power to mitigate suffering.

He is actually an accomplice to anyone who commits 'evil'.

Sorry, the whole concept of a loving and just god is simply untenable but by a masochist.

You assume a lot about what I think about a god...

Strawman.

I was answering your question as to why people can't reconcile the gospel accounts of a loving and just god with reality.

I never once assumed what you think about god.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

where did I say anything about the particular brand of theism that I was committed to?

You didn't, which is why I never came to the conclusion about any religion.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Insofar as I can tell, this entire thing is a construct about what you think a god should be like

No, you asked me to explain why people find a disconnect between the gospel accounts describing their god's character, and reality.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
...and then you're getting angry at the construct....

Ummm, no. I think religions are a joke.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

I don't think you understand what an appeal to novelty is, either.

No one here has argued that anything is more accurate or even more probable simply because it's a newer argument.

Appeal to novelty says newer is better...

That wasn't Bob's position at all.

Strawman.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
BobSpence1 was writing things off because they were medieval constructs...

No.

If he was, I'd call him out on fallacious reasoning.

But, if you really want to win this point, quote where he took the position you allege he did, and then you'll not be guilty of a strawman.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

No. The terms are not interchangeable.

No they are not interchangable.

Then don't tell me "Whether you like it or not, science is philosophy..."

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
Science is subset of a broader field...A bluejay is a bird but no tall birds are bluejay.

Did you get that from Pascal, or the drunk at the end of the bar?

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
Methodological naturalism is concerned about the epistemic approach concerning natural phenomenon, not about claims about what exists.

I know. Why do you think I said "Science is based on methodological naturalism in that it only tests what is testable."

I was countering your strawman that science is not sufficient because it only deals with what 'is'; namely the 'material' world.

Metaphysics deals with 'what if's'.

So does science.

The difference is that metaphysics will string together tests of ideas built upon other ideas, built upon assumptions, built upon ideas, built upon a given that's built upon an uncertainty, etc etc...and then try and determine 'probability' vs an antithesis.

Calling this rigorous thinking is like calling Paris Hilton a rocket scientist.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

redneF wrote:

The onus is on the one making the positive claim that a supernatural exists, and the only way they can do that is demonstrate the laws of physics can/have been violated. The Vatican would love just 1 example of the laws of physics being violated, but they've only managed to argue from ignorance, in order to fallaciously inflate the odds of probability, which is dishonest and a fallacy.

IOW, you have not found anything new, except a renewed hope that there is a supernatural, an after life, and your fear that there might be a wrathful god that could punish you for eternity, otherwise, you'd be an agnostic atheist.

What does the Vatican's search for violations natural laws have to do anything...

The institution's dogma is based on the claim there is a supernatural sky daddy. I was just pointing out that they don't have a shred of evidence for the claim. Duhhh...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
...largely, this is a red herring...

You wish.

But that's not surprising. You like to err on the side of caution, no matter what the odds, it seems.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
It is the lack of good evidence that made me agnostic...

That hasn't changed in thousands of years. Why do you think there are so many atheists worldwide? 

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
...and what force me to look at secondary methods of justification..

That's a copout. Just like others have pointed out.

The only one forcing you to do anything is yourself.

Own it.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I don't think we disagree on this.

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not superstitious. Or afraid there may/may not be an afterlife that I might/might not 'qualify' for. 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:What you

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

What you are calling equivocation is misplaced. I'm not deliberately using ambiguity... Like I've said before, this is a rather recent development in my life, and I haven't committed to a particular form of theism...

Here are some ideas for you - obligations and morals strictly unnecessary ---

This one is kind of cute if you go for the Capt Pineapple look.

A little more masculine, maybe---

A little tricksy, perhaps ----

Or perhaps more in touch with Canadian Aboriginal or Amerindian roots ---

Lots of choices.

My answer to the obligation question ---

We are obligated to do what we can do.  I could not help that child in North Carolina as I did not know about her.  I am not sure what I would have been able to do if I had known in advance so I could have prevented the torture and death.  If I were to walk up to or in on someone torturing a child like that, I would definitely do everything I could to stop it.

I would pick up the baby crawling towards the street.  I would - if I had any money at all to spare - contribute to charities.  (I interviewed for a job today that actually would pay me money.  Wish me luck.)  Volunteering is an option in lieu of money.  These are all the little things, I as a human, could possibly do.  And I feel an obligation to contribute my mite.

Now, someone more rich, powerful, informed, connected, educated, trained, etc, has an obligation to do more.  To start a foundation to aid and support.  To start a school or work for low pay in a drug rehab program for people who can't afford the Betty Ford Clinic.  And so on.

Someone who has darn-near-omni powers has an obligation to do more.  Because they know and they can, they should.  For an interesting take on this idea, read The Fresco by Sherri Tepper.  She is always good for standing our preconceived notions on their head.  She also has an interesting take on a universal deity in this book.

The extent of your obligation is the extent of your ability to contribute.  I'm with Bob, giving everything away would likely create more harm than good in this world.  Doing nothing when you could do much is at the very least, nonfeasance.  At least Satan doesn't lie about his love and care for us.

Wanting an invisible friend because you feel uncomfortable is also an okay position.  In that case, no need to hang a label or share your fantasies.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:BobSpence

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

Second, the entity giving the "payout" in Pascalian terms does not necessarily have to be a god per se... it could a state free from the angst of this world as found in Dharmic religions.

Still only works if the God is a benevolent one.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

I think that is a common misrepresentation about Pascal. Pascal sounds more like Keirkegaard in that he sees ambivalence as the barricade to contentment and completeness. Like Keirkegaard he thinks that a person is more content and more complete when he or she commits to something...

EDIT: Pascal was a contemporary of De Cartes. De Cartes was probably the dominant thinker on continental Europe at the time, and he was really pushing hardcore skepticism. I think Pascal bought this idea, but wasn't existentially satisfied with the results, and why he even wagered in the first place.

Now that you remind me Descartes was even sillier than Pascal on this topic.

Quote:

BobSpence wrote:

Equivocation, indecision, unable to decide,  whatever.

Still means you are not justified in interpreting PW as a positive, because you haven't decided what are the likely attributes of the God you might accept.

And if you are restricting your options to only that category of Gods promising infinite rewards for accepting them, you have closed your mind in advance to many possible Gods.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to clarify a point Ubby

Just to clarify a point Ubby has tried to level at me several times.

'Medieval' ideas are ones that never made it thru to modern times because they didn't hold up in a more rigorous and advanced era of scientific understanding.

So we only normally see them taken seriously in medieval discourse. Hence the label.

Like geocentrism, matter only moving until it runs out of push, Principle of Sufficient Reason, etc.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lion IRC wrote:A few years

Lion IRC wrote:

A few years ago he converted to Christianity and when asked why, he would explain that he simply came to the gradual conclusion that atheism was just too restrictive on his mind.

He was quite right IMO because even if you dont think one single religion answers everything, I would argue that "reality" is way too complex for atheology to manage.

Atheism : the no-God hypothesis - is a square you cant think outside of and it is a boring place to live for the (massively over-engineered) human mind.

Good. Why not go all the way then? There so many things to believe in that show how free your mind is... Pink Unicorns, Leprachans, the tooth fairy, ghosts and goblins, spagetti monstors. Why put any restrictions on what your mind can believe? Just hope that boogie man under the bed doesn't get you...

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Lion IRC wrote:A

EXC wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

A few years ago he converted to Christianity and when asked why, he would explain that he simply came to the gradual conclusion that atheism was just too restrictive on his mind.

He was quite right IMO because even if you dont think one single religion answers everything, I would argue that "reality" is way too complex for atheology to manage.

Atheism : the no-God hypothesis - is a square you cant think outside of and it is a boring place to live for the (massively over-engineered) human mind.

Good. Why not go all the way then? There so many things to believe in that show how free your mind is... Pink Unicorns, Leprachans, the tooth fairy, ghosts and goblins, spagetti monstors. Why put any restrictions on what your mind can believe? Just hope that boogie man under the bed doesn't get you...

Redunkulous!!!!!

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Still only

BobSpence wrote:

Still only works if the God is a benevolent one.

It works if there is a reward of sort...

BobSpence wrote:

Now that you remind me Descartes was even sillier than Pascal on this topic.

On wagering? Or Skepticism? What was silly about Decartes...

BobSpence wrote:

Equivocation, indecision, unable to decide,  whatever.

Still means you are not justified in interpreting PW as a positive, because you haven't decided what are the likely attributes of the God you might accept.

What about a categorical treatment? A categorical treatment at least deals with agnosticism.

BobSpence wrote:

And if you are restricting your options to only that category of Gods promising infinite rewards for accepting them, you have closed your mind in advance to many possible Gods.

It's not that I have "closed my mind in advanced". I have considered this, and on pragmatic grounds such possibilities have no pragmatic implications... Insofar as that's concerned, it would unwise to consider such options.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Just to

BobSpence wrote:

Just to clarify a point Ubby has tried to level at me several times.

'Medieval' ideas are ones that never made it thru to modern times because they didn't hold up in a more rigorous and advanced era of scientific understanding.

So we only normally see them taken seriously in medieval discourse. Hence the label.

Like geocentrism, matter only moving until it runs out of push, Principle of Sufficient Reason, etc.

Thank you for clarifying.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
With respect to

With respect to philosophers, I am inspired to comment now, while listening to another BBC program, on David Hume, as the starkest contrast to Pascal and Descartes. The more I hear about Hume, the more impressed I am. He was way ahead of his time.

Whereas the other pair had brains rotted by Theism. As is yours, Ubu.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:With respect

BobSpence wrote:

With respect to philosophers, I am inspired to comment now, while listening to another BBC program, on David Hume, as the starkest contrast to Pascal and Descartes. The more I hear about Hume, the more impressed I am. He was way ahead of his time.

I appreciate Hume more than you know...

And I have a hunch, if Pascal and if Decartes were alive during Hume's lifetime, they would probably agree with him more than you give them credit for, particularly Pascal. If Hume was ahead of his time, Pascal was even further as he wrote in defense of the scientific method and was agnostic because he could not reconcile religion with science. Hume never claimed to be an atheist, but  his critics labeled him as such. There is evidence that he maintained his theism for pragmatic reasons, and this sounds a whole lot like Pascal.... if this is the case then I suppose Hume suffered from the same "brain rot" Pascal did and that I do...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:  well, i've seen

cj wrote:

well, i've seen the light!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

Neither of them were scientists and neither of them knew jack shit about modern scientific method.  Not to mention that was billions of years ago. Scientific data has improved slightly since then. They were merely mental masturbaters.

Thoughts require a material process. There is no such thing as a thinking "something" invisible non material super brain.

Quote:
Like Keirkegaard he thinks that a person is more content and more complete when he or she commits to something...

Yea, good advice, but not so good for the 6 million Jews of WW2. The Germans were committed and complete following Hitler.

Do you commit to something because it sounds nice? Or should you commit to something because you have evidence that it is right. Committing to "something" anyone can do and people do it all the time. People commit themselves to Al Quida. The 19 were so committed they killed 2,000 people.

Thats the reason you believe in "something" because some old dead debunked philosopher told you to "commit to something"?

In all seriousness, you don't need a belief in a god to give your life meaning. You can find meaning in yourself in what you want to do. You can find that in a job, or a hobby, or in a secular charity. What you don't need is a fictional being to cling to.

Ultimately life is about resources and relationships. If you have a roof over your head, food on the table, and people around you love, that is the meaning you get out of life and all you need.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Neither of

Brian37 wrote:
Neither of them were scientists and neither of them knew jack shit about modern scientific method.  Not to mention that was billions of years ago. Scientific data has improved slightly since then. They were merely mental masturbaters.

I think you need to do a fact check.

Decartes wrote that truth should be deduced from a priori truth by way of deduction as opposed to he scientific method. Pascal wrote in opposition to this view (he was Decartes contemporary) in defense of the scientific method -- using experimentation and empirical observation to discover truth about the world. And Pascal was no slouch either... He contributed greatly to both mathematics and science --probability, conics, pneumatics, and computer science.

Brian37 wrote:
Yea, good advice, but not so good for the 6 million Jews of WW2. The Germans were committed and complete following Hitler.

The reductio ad hitlerum at its finest. Godwin was right...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Brian37

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I think you need to do a fact check.

Decartes wrote that truth should be deduced from a priori truth by way of deduction as opposed to he scientific method. Pascal wrote in opposition to this view (he was Decartes contemporary) in defense of the scientific method -- using experimentation and empirical observation to discover truth about the world. And Pascal was no slouch either... He contributed greatly to both mathematics and science --probability, conics, pneumatics, and computer science.

Brian37 wrote:

The reductio ad hitlerum at its finest. Godwin was right...

The point of that example was to SHOW you that simply being committed to something is not a good reason to hold ANY position. That is how others can lead you buy the nose. You can apply that to any aspect of your life.

Typical theist, point at the moon and they stare at your fingertip.

There is no such thing as a non-material invisible cosmic friend. It is merely Santa for adults. There is no Christian god, not generic god, no cosmic super "something". Never was, never will be. It is merely your wishful thinking.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

I appreciate Hume more than you know...

And I have a hunch, if Pascal and if Decartes were alive during Hume's lifetime, they would probably agree with him more than you give them credit for, particularly Pascal. If Hume was ahead of his time, Pascal was even further as he wrote in defense of the scientific method and was agnostic because he could not reconcile religion with science. Hume never claimed to be an atheist, but  his critics labeled him as such. There is evidence that he maintained his theism for pragmatic reasons, and this sounds a whole lot like Pascal.... if this is the case then I suppose Hume suffered from the same "brain rot" Pascal did and that I do...

The 'brain rot' applies to God believers, and then mainly wrt to philosophy and religion itself, so does not apply to Hume. There are certainly strong indications that Hume was not a believer, but it would not have been wise to be 'out' about that at the time.

Pascal was a Theist. A Catholic Philosopher. His beliefs faded a little in an early part of his life. He later had a mystical experience, and abandoned his scientific work, and devoted himself to philosophy and theology. A lot of his contribution was more to mathematics, which is NOT science. There is little potential conflict between math and theism, because math has a similar model -start with assumptions (axioms), and work from there. You don't need to empirically test and justify things. And at that stage, the sciences which were most problematic to Religion were biology and cosmology, which he wasn't really into.

Wikipedia wrote:

Pascal agreed with Montaigne that achieving certainty in these axioms and conclusions through human methods is impossible. He asserted that these principles can only be grasped through intuition, and that this fact underscored the necessity for submission to God in searching out truths.

I will concede, after a bit more research, that it is Descartes that more deserves my ridicule, although Pascal got a number of his ideas from Descartes. His famous defence of science was not so much about the scientific method generally, as we understand it today, but about anticipating Popper wrt to the importance of 'falsifiability'. Which I personally think is a little over-stated, but still an important concept.

Descartes was nuttier. Pascal did demonstrate the existence of a vacuum, which Descartes never accepted. Kudos to Pascal there. Maybe in my memory I had got them confused a little, and it was Descartes I was mainly thinking of as deserving ridicule, rather than Pascal - they were associated in many ways.
But the Wager does deserve ridicule. It DOES NOT WORK unless you assume something close to Christian Theology - see the quote in my sig from Harris on that crap. 

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:The 'brain

BobSpence wrote:

The 'brain rot' applies to God believers, and then mainly wrt to philosophy and religion itself, so does not apply to Hume. There are certainly strong indications that Hume was not a believer, but it would not have been wise to be 'out' about that at the time.

He was criticized on more tan one occasion for such and was branded for heresy. A friend of his said that Hume was an atheist and used that as a successful defense in that Hume did not fall under the jurisdiction of the church. But in any case, some of his writings seem to indicate that he affirmed teleological arguments for the existence of God. And he never came out as an atheist. I it difficult to tell though, an still a topic of discussion...

BobSpence wrote:
Pascal was a Theist. A Catholic Philosopher. His beliefs faded a little in an early part of his life. He later had a mystical experience, and abandoned his scientific work, and devoted himself to philosophy and theology. A lot of his contribution was more to mathematics, which is NOT science. There is little potential conflict between math and theism, because math has a similar model -start with assumptions (axioms), and work from there. You don't need to empirically test and justify things. And at that stage, the sciences which were most problematic to Religion were biology and cosmology, which he wasn't really into.

Pascal was a theist, true... He wrote in defense of the use of experimentation while he was doing science a way to gain knowledge in opposition to Decartes. What you are describing above is more how Decartes reasoned. The quote you have about Pascal communicates the essence of what lead him to agnosticism... he was trying to reach religion by science, but found no means to do it, so he wagered.

BobSpence wrote:

I will concede, after a bit more research, that it is Descartes that more deserves my ridicule, although Pascal got a number of his ideas from Descartes. His famous defence of science was not so much about the scientific method generally, as we understand it today, but about anticipating Popper wrt to the importance of 'falsifiability'. Which I personally think is a little over-stated, but still an important concept.

Science does change, and Popper was contributor in the arena of the philosophy of science with his falsification criterion. It will be interesting to see what changes and developments will occur in even my life time.

BobSpence wrote:

Descartes was nuttier. Pascal did demonstrate the existence of a vacuum, which Descartes never accepted. Kudos to Pascal there. Maybe in my memory I had got them confused a little, and it was Descartes I was mainly thinking of as deserving ridicule, rather than Pascal - they were associated in many ways.

Decartes and Pascal disagreed vehemently on how one should deduce truth. Pascal preferred more empirical approaches while Decartes preferred a priori approaches.

BobSpence wrote:

But the Wager does deserve ridicule. It DOES NOT WORK unless you assume something close to Christian Theology - see the quote in my sig from Harris on that crap. 

I agree that Pascal's Wager doesn't work unless you assume Christian theology. But that does not mean one can't tweak parts of it to apply it more broadly... that's essentially what I did.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: One of Tim

cj wrote:

One of Tim Curry's finest performances....

cj wrote:
We are obligated to do what we can do.  I could not help that child in North Carolina as I did not know about her.  I am not sure what I would have been able to do if I had known in advance so I could have prevented the torture and death.  If I were to walk up to or in on someone torturing a child like that, I would definitely do everything I could to stop it.

I would pick up the baby crawling towards the street.  I would - if I had any money at all to spare - contribute to charities.  (I interviewed for a job today that actually would pay me money.  Wish me luck.)  Volunteering is an option in lieu of money.  These are all the little things, I as a human, could possibly do.  And I feel an obligation to contribute my mite.

Now, someone more rich, powerful, informed, connected, educated, trained, etc, has an obligation to do more.  To start a foundation to aid and support.  To start a school or work for low pay in a drug rehab program for people who can't afford the Betty Ford Clinic.  And so on.

Someone who has darn-near-omni powers has an obligation to do more.  Because they know and they can, they should.  For an interesting take on this idea, read The Fresco by Sherri Tepper.  She is always good for standing our preconceived notions on their head.  She also has an interesting take on a universal deity in this book.

The extent of your obligation is the extent of your ability to contribute.  I'm with Bob, giving everything away would likely create more harm than good in this world.  Doing nothing when you could do much is at the very least, nonfeasance.  At least Satan doesn't lie about his love and care for us.

Wanting an invisible friend because you feel uncomfortable is also an okay position.  In that case, no need to hang a label or share your fantasies.

Good luck with the job interview.

One, I think there is a slippery slope when one starts saying that the rich are obligated to do more etc. How much is enough? And if one doesn't do enough, then is he or she still malevolent because he or she didn't do enough? And what if the one's who can act don't act according to how another think the former is obligated to act should? In any case, I still think it suffers from the same basic problems.

I'm not looking for an invisible friend to make me comfortable or anything of the like. The god issues issue really is beside just a side issue at this point . I just think that having these sort of obligations creates a lot of injustice.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

required then. I guess this is a philosophical position. When you say it's a pragmatic position, you must be suggesting that it's a safe position from the point of view of your long term future. Mmmmm. It seems a rational cop-out to me but if you feel more comfortable like this, and I guess you must, then what the hey. One thing that's of interest is the devotional side in terms of your subjective brand of christianity. Given your belief is primarily a hedge, do you do the whole BFF thing with Sufjan Jesus or are you more of a deist?  

Like I said, the particular brand of theism ((X-anity, diesm, pantheism, paentheism, Norse Mythology, Islam, Rastafarianism, Pastafarianism, etc.) is up for grabs... And I'm not necessarily out shopping for one at the same time.

I don' see it as a "rational cop-out"... rather a rational opt-in... If all things considered on primary modes of justification (that is evidence-based reason) end up zero-sum, then what else should I do?

there is one way to understand the nature of the universe and that's the scientific process. Flawed, messy, incomplete - sure. Honest enough to admit it's wrong, open to re-evaluating evidence, capable of a total reverse - definitely.

I can see why you might say that zero-sum seems the ultimate answer to the biggest questions at present but we cannot know this will always be true. To me, one method of data gathering is generally consistent and has proven its value over time. The other is built on assertions, assumptions, appeals to complexity, ignorance. To me the honest thing is to be confused, to be troubled, to search for answers. This is the human condition. It takes bravery and it entails fear.

And I think there are many more answers coming. Our age of reason is only a couple of hundred years old. I was reading today about stray human cells that roam freely around the body, doing jobs, tidying up. No one knows how or why. One thing appears certain and that's that the arguable truth about us, about matter, non matter, life and the nature of biochemistry, will prove to be very strange indeed. But it will be comprehensible and underpinned by things that can be repeatedly shown to be true. 

It will not be supernatural.

/total agreement

I would like to add that while not everyone will be able to appreciate "the science" (me, for example) of any number of complex fields of study, they can appreciate any number of contributions science makes to understanding what Bobspence terms "reality", and the contributions it makes towards The Human Condition.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

He was criticized on more tan one occasion for such and was branded for heresy. A friend of his said that Hume was an atheist and used that as a successful defense in that Hume did not fall under the jurisdiction of the church. But in any case, some of his writings seem to indicate that he affirmed teleological arguments for the existence of God. And he never came out as an atheist. I it difficult to tell though, an still a topic of discussion...

BobSpence wrote:

Pascal was a theist, true... He wrote in defense of the use of experimentation while he was doing science a way to gain knowledge in opposition to Decartes. What you are describing above is more how Decartes reasoned. The quote you have about Pascal communicates the essence of what lead him to agnosticism... he was trying to reach religion by science, but found no means to do it, so he wagered.

BobSpence wrote:

Science does change, and Popper was contributor in the arena of the philosophy of science with his falsification criterion. It will be interesting to see what changes and developments will occur in even my life time.

BobSpence wrote:

Decartes and Pascal disagreed vehemently on how one should deduce truth. Pascal preferred more empirical approaches while Decartes preferred a priori approaches.

BobSpence wrote:

I agree that Pascal's Wager doesn't work unless you assume Christian theology. But that does not mean one can't tweak parts of it to apply it more broadly... that's essentially what I did.

It seems like you're tweaking it to "Because I'm not really sure whether a God is a bastard or not It's safer for me to be on its good side (whatever that "good side" might be)"

Is that a reasonable assessment?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
jcgadfly wrote:ubuntuAnyone

jcgadfly wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

It seems like you're tweaking it to "Because I'm not really sure whether a God is a bastard or not It's safer for me to be on its good side (whatever that "good side" might be)"

We've been over this already. It doesn't matter WHO is making the argument or what invisible friend(all names and attributes aside). Making bets on existence on the unprovable is absurd. You might as well bet that a snarfwidget is real.

You know that and I know that. "Fence sitting" is a cop out excuse and "better safe than sorry" is also a cop out. Neither are tools for measuring reality. They are merely excuses to believe in fantasy. He could be arguing for Thor or Allah  or invisible pink unicorns and it would all amount to the same thing. Nothing.

Dressing up the empty box with a pretty bow(elaborate clap trap) doesn't change the fact that the box is empty. Arguing over the names or details of invisible friends is as silly as arguing over "The Force" of Star Wars vs Klingons in Star Trec.

Belief in the super natural relies on imagination, credulity and willful ignorance. It is anthropomorphic gap filling based solely on wishful thinking.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Brian, does that preclude

Brian, does that preclude me hearing his answer?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:It seems like

jcgadfly wrote:

It seems pretty clear to many of us. But, some people hope that if they put lipstick on a pig, others won't notice it's a pig with lipstick on it...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
If there is no evidence, then I fall back to a prudence-based reasoning for belief.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I don' see it as a "rational cop-out"... rather a rational opt-in...

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I just considered the possibility and made a decision based on that... like I said, it was pragmatic.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I rather be on the winning side than the losing... eh?

He thinks he's found a way to hedge his bets while maintaining intellectual integrity.

He's going to pull out the lipstick, and 'attack' science because it can't prove a negative...lol

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:How does

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

How does this moral obligation fit into the realm of happenstance such as the situations provided in the prior post concerning raped children or children getting run over by a bus?

I don't know that I expect my friends and family to help me in a bind though.

But at the same time, I want to be there for them if they need me.

In any case, I don't that such expectations constitute moral obligations to help.

Like I said most people seem to agree there's a limit somewhere at the intersection of how easily you could help and how much harm would come to the person you could help where inaction becomes morally impermissible. I don't think it's so important where exactly that point is but just that it exists. Anyone could imagine some extreme situation.

In my opinion people have an obligation to help when they've caused the situation or if there's some sort of understanding that they would help. If you don't try your best to be helpful even without obligation then in my view you lack something like a disposition to do good, kindness, benevolence, karuna or whatever you want to call it. 

I don't think it's always helpful to frame things in terms of obligation and right action. If you help someone just because you're obliged, out of some abstract sense of duty then to me it seems cold and calculating and lacking in moral value anyway.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
jcgadfly wrote: Brian, does

jcgadfly wrote:

Brian, does that preclude me hearing his answer?

Certainly not. I just don't like the dance myself. You can play good cop. I'll stand behind you in the interrogation room with the verbal brass knuckles and shout "He's(you) the only friend you've got".

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntu,when I use the word

ubuntu,

when I use the word 'Reality', I mena everything - to distinguish it from references to our 'Universe' or 'Metaverse'.

Everything which really exists in any form. Every 'realm' - to specifically include the proposed 'realm' which is 'outside' or 'beyond' 'time and space' in which it is commonly posited by Theists that God occupies, as a blatant dodge to avoid the fundamental problems we point out in their arguments.

That has to include a God, if it exists.

And 'tweaking' PW to make it work is both dishonest and simultaneously demonstrating the fallacy of the basic concept. If you can devise a version that makes any idea of God you prefer 'work' with it, the whole framework is useless. Any argument that can be made to 'prove' anything is thereby shown to actually prove nothing.

That really is a fundamental when you are speculating about what is not 'accessible' to empirical/evidence-based investigation. Pretty much anything is 'possible' in that context. You cannot even do 'statistics' on the likelihood of any posited version of a God, which makes any version of PW void.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche,I don't always agree

Gauche,

I don't always agree with your stances, but I think you've nailed it on this 'obligation' thing.

I think if you are talking in terms of moral 'obligation', it really should only refer to something analogous to a legal obligation, which is assumes some specific prior agreement.

In the sort of situation I described, impromptu, spontaneous, anything which has not been specifically agreed to in some form, 'obligation' does not really apply.

Responding in such a situation, where there is little or no cost or effort required on your part, to prevent a clear harm, is a matter of the fundamental meaning and origin of 'moral' behaviour as part of the 'glue' binding a society together.

It is regrettably true that ubuntu's attitude is more consistent with the Christian concept of morality as conformance to edicts of some ultimate Authority, who is assumed to be intrinsically 'good'.

Sad.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Gauche,I

BobSpence wrote:

Gauche,

I don't always agree with your stances, but I think you've nailed it on this 'obligation' thing.

I think if you are talking in terms of moral 'obligation', it really should only refer to something analogous to a legal obligation, which is assumes some specific prior agreement.

I agree with both you and Gauche. The moral obligations are both implicit and explcit in the social construct of a civil society than condemns malevolence towards each other.

BobSpence wrote:
It is regrettably true that ubuntu's attitude is more consistent with the Christian concept of morality as conformance to edicts of some ultimate Authority, who is assumed to be intrinsically 'good'.

Sad.

Exactly. He's playing the devil's advocate and extending the 'Why should God do anything?' argument and projecting it to humans who are not all powerful.

IOW, he's just intentionally being obtuse.

BobSpence wrote:
If you can devise a version that makes any idea of God you prefer 'work' with it, the whole framework is useless. Any argument that can be made to 'prove' anything is thereby shown to actually prove nothing.

This response for PW, actually works against any theoretical framework that posits a 'god'.

Gods are only 'possible' to the extent that we imagine that they are possible, as there are no evidences that actually support any such notion. We could all be willing to concede or grant that it is possible, but that doesn't automatically demonstrate that it is possible in actuality.

No one actually has to find God itself. But if he's interacting with the universe, he will leave a 'wake' when he does.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
To use a decision grid as in

To use a decision grid as in PW requires probabilities to be assigned to each input.

This is impossible in the case of a supernatural dependence, anything that we cannot derive actual finite probability estimates.

'infinite' payoffs also render it questionable - they make no sense when applied to finite beings.

There is a strong likelihood from all the evidence that any state of affairs would ultimately eventually bore us to insanity if continued indefinitely.

The whole 'eternal life in heaven' concept is an a primitive, naive idea.

EDIT: You cannot fill in the column "IF <this God doesn't exist> THEN ...". The answer could 'logically' range from plus to minus infinity, depending on what entity or state of affairs you postulate.

At best it is a wash - maybe infinite bliss maybe eternal torment. 

Doesn't help decide, unless you start restricting the cases considered, but there is no way to apply meaningful argument and logic to make positive assessments of possibilities in the supernatural, 'anything goes' realm. Only negative assertions, based on the only thing we can know, ie that we cannot know any specifics about what entities may or may not exist, or their motives or intent.

Any discourse beyond this is the purest empty speculation, AKA philosophy.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:To use a

BobSpence wrote:

To use a decision grid as in PW requires probabilities to be assigned to each input.

This is impossible in the case of a supernatural dependence, anything that we cannot derive actual finite probability estimates.

The actually value for the given probability of anything the decision matrix be a non-zero probability so long as the payoff is large.

BobSpence wrote:
'infinite' payoffs also render it questionable - they make no sense when applied to finite beings.

Like I said, it need only be arbitrarily large. It doesn't have to be infinite

BobSpence wrote:

There is a strong likelihood from all the evidence that any state of affairs would ultimately eventually bore us to insanity if continued indefinitely.

The whole 'eternal life in heaven' concept is an a primitive, naive idea.

EDIT: You cannot fill in the column "IF <this God doesn't exist> THEN ...". The answer could 'logically' range from plus to minus infinity, depending on what entity or state of affairs you postulate.

At best it is a wash - maybe infinite bliss maybe eternal torment. 

Doesn't help decide, unless you start restricting the cases considered, but there is no way to apply meaningful argument and logic to make positive assessments of possibilities in the supernatural, 'anything goes' realm. Only negative assertions, based on the only thing we can know, ie that we cannot know any specifics about what entities may or may not exist, or their motives or intent.

The decision matrix applied broadly does not prescribe what the contents of the payoff are. But that's not the point of a broadly applied matrix... it's a rubric for pointing one in a direction without necessarily dealing with the details. In most cases, I doubt someone, save a sadist, would even consider infinite bliss in the terms of eternal torment. William James called such things "live options".

BobSpence wrote:

Any discourse beyond this is the purest empty speculation, AKA philosophy.

Empty speculation? Hardly when one considers the possibilities. And I think you need not apply your term "philosophy" so broadly as you do with medieval. If I heard that, I'd think you were talking about lots more than what I think you mean by that... including, but not limited tom the "empty speculation" of people like Popper and Hume.

BobSpence wrote:

Everything which really exists in any form. Every 'realm' - to specifically include the proposed 'realm' which is 'outside' or 'beyond' 'time and space' in which it is commonly posited by Theists that God occupies, as a blatant dodge to avoid the fundamental problems we point out in their arguments.

I'm not positing any such realm... I'm not trying to be dodgy either.

I agree that there  are basic problems with theistic arguments. I can't remember how many times I pointed these problems out to people on this board, and my opinion of these things hasn't changed.

BobSpence wrote:

And 'tweaking' PW to make it work is both dishonest and simultaneously demonstrating the fallacy of the basic concept. If you can devise a version that makes any idea of God you prefer 'work' with it, the whole framework is useless. Any argument that can be made to 'prove' anything is thereby shown to actually prove nothing.

I'm not trying to make a particular god "work" with it... I looked at the ideas of the wager and made fewer of assumptions than Pascal.

Second, it is not an attempt to prove anything. Anyone that says Pascal's Wager or anything of the like proves something doesn't understand its purpose... it is a pragmatic tool that seeks to make decisions in light of uncertainty. But it in no way guarantees the results of the decision...

BobSpence wrote:

That really is a fundamental when you are speculating about what is not 'accessible' to empirical/evidence-based investigation. Pretty much anything is 'possible' in that context. You cannot even do 'statistics' on the likelihood of any posited version of a God, which makes any version of PW void.

I granted that... empirical/evidence based investigation in the search for God I think is largely zero-sum. The sort of applications of statistics is not the rigor that one is going to get from numerical analysis. But the reasoning behind what is more likely and less likely does not require such rigor either.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Like I said

Gauche wrote:

Like I said most people seem to agree there's a limit somewhere at the intersection of how easily you could help and how much harm would come to the person you could help where inaction becomes morally impermissible. I don't think it's so important where exactly that point is but just that it exists. Anyone could imagine some extreme situation.

That's essentially admitting it is a slippery slope. Insofar as I can tell, "just that it exists" means that the rubric can me adjusted such that it is largely relative to the person adjusting it such that it still doesn't solve the problem.

Gauche wrote:

In my opinion people have an obligation to help when they've caused the situation or if there's some sort of understanding that they would help. If you don't try your best to be helpful even without obligation then in my view you lack something like a disposition to do good, kindness, benevolence, karuna or whatever you want to call it. 

I think it is better ethic to act in a manner without obligation to do so than to act under obligation to do so. But one's decision to do good is his or her prerogative. But to say that he or she lacks a disposition to do good is an undue judgement...

Gauche wrote:

I don't think it's always helpful to frame things in terms of obligation and right action. If you help someone just because you're obliged, out of some abstract sense of duty then to me it seems cold and calculating and lacking in moral value anyway.

I think I agree with you here. But unless there is some obligation, I don't think there is any grounds to judge one as morally inept.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:It seems like

jcgadfly wrote:

I dunno if god is a "bastard" or not... I'm sure there's plenty of possible gods in the pantheon of theism that would fit that category. Insofar as an "assessment"... I'd probably more likely to label it a "caricature".