User is offlineOffline
Who vs. whom is tough.

Who vs. whom is tough.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Who vs. whom is

I love the dangling participle sentence at the end. "Hiding under the floorboards, I have finally found you." Hilarious!

Tapey wrote:

Who vs. whom is tough.

'Whom' is slowly fading. It's becoming more and more accepted to just use 'who'. But one way to remember the difference is that whom is like him, and who is like he. Who took it? He took it. And he gave it to who? He gave it to he. <bzzt!> Correction: 'He gave it to him', so it should be, 'And he gave it to whom?'

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a subject that I'm

This is a subject that I'm in complete agreement with the Cpt. I despise grammar nazi's.

My spelling and grammar skills surpass 90% of the English population of Earth, easily. But as long as I can understand what's being said, the minute character and placement details are irrelevant.

Too often, an argument is derailed or discredited soley on the basis of poor spelling and grammar, regardless of the fact that spelling and grammar have nothing to do with the intellect of an individual or the credibility of their arguments.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Too often, an

Vastet wrote:
Too often, an argument is derailed or discredited soley on the basis of poor spelling and grammar, regardless of the fact that spelling and grammar have nothing to do with the intellect of an individual or the credibility of their arguments.

Is you kidding?

Thats dum

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:I love the

natural wrote:

I love the dangling participle sentence at the end. "Hiding under the floorboards, I have finally found you." Hilarious!

Yes, but here my english fails. I hardly know these grammar terms in my language.

natural wrote:
'Whom' is slowly fading. It's becoming more and more accepted to just use 'who'. But one way to remember the difference is that whom is like him, and who is like he. Who took it? He took it. And he gave it to who? He gave it to he. <bzzt!> Correction: 'He gave it to him', so it should be, 'And he gave it to whom?'

Damn, I always thought 'whom' is a plural. 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
denti aguzzi

Grammar Nazis-es are goot! Ant hyu vill laik it!

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Church has wacky

The Church has wacky ideas
The Church have wacky ideas

The first one sounds right but the second one is right. The church is a they and if you say they in place of church the second one sounds right and is right.
But I hate this and will say has.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:natural wrote:

Luminon wrote:

natural wrote:

Yes, but here my english fails. I hardly know these grammar terms in my language.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. This is the first time I've understood what a dangling participle is.

But actually, isn't the grammar in Czech like 100 times harder than English? With all the cases and genders and things? I remember trying to speak what little Czech I knew. I must have sounded like a cave man. Me want taxi. You taxi? To little town, much please. To right. To left. Here. Thank you.

Actually, most of the time I spoke Czech in restaurants to order food. I got pretty good at that, and when people asked if I spoke Czech, I would tell them, "Not really. Well, I speak 'menu Czech', but that's about it."

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ya'll are crazy.

Ya'll are crazy.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Luminon

natural wrote:

Luminon wrote:

natural wrote:

Don't worry, you're not the only one. This is the first time I've understood what a dangling participle is.

But actually, isn't the grammar in Czech like 100 times harder than English? With all the cases and genders and things? I remember trying to speak what little Czech I knew. I must have sounded like a cave man. Me want taxi. You taxi? To little town, much please. To right. To left. Here. Thank you.

Actually, most of the time I spoke Czech in restaurants to order food. I got pretty good at that, and when people asked if I spoke Czech, I would tell them, "Not really. Well, I speak 'menu Czech', but that's about it."

Yes, Czech grammar is complicated, a single word may be modified according to case, gender, number, time, and so on. But for native speaksmen it feels natural, we just absorb it from surroundings when growing up. 

Foreigners like Czech spelling, which is very simple and straightforward. Every letter is pronounced and only one way, you read it, you know how it's pronounced. In English I know the words, but it takes time to recognize them in spoken form. And it's much worse in singing. 

My ideal language would be simplified English with Czech (phonetic) pronounciation. 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abbott and Costello ROFLMAO

WHO IS ON FIRST BASE ? 

That skit is classic and makes me laugh every time that I see it.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Ya'll are

Watcher wrote:

Ya'll are crazy.

Yes I know. Thank you for noticing.

A  Panda Bear walks into  a restaurant   orders a vegatarian delite and a beer.  The food is gone in seconds and he bearly [forgive the pun] touches the beer. After which the panda pulls out a gun fires several rounds into the ceiling and runs out the front door  without paying.  The head  waiter is so  shook up by  this action he runs to a library and looks up PANDA.  The definition;   PANDA, Asian ursean. Eats, shoots and leaves.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Ya'll are

Watcher wrote:

Ya'll are crazy.

Don't call me crazy or I will fucking kill you.  

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/