Belief more important than cure for cancer. WOW and really?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Belief more important than cure for cancer. WOW and really?

http://www.examiner.com/humanist-in-national/american-cancer-society-refuses-500-000-from-atheists

The American Cancer society turned down a 500,000 dollar donation from an atheist group.

I would expect this from a religious charity, but this is supposed to be a secular non religious charity.

BUT, even if it were a religious charity, this shows the hypocrisy of the religious who care more about protecting their religion(not all in the organization, but their leaders) than they do in fining a cure for cancer.

REALLY? Another nail in the coffin of the alleged morality of the believer. They will only lend aid to others if they get credit for it and won't accept help from others. Who cares how many people die from cancer as long as their sky daddy isn't dissed.

Shame on you American Cancer Society. I highly suspect that this is not the tactic many involved in the charity would take. I highly suspect this is a result of a few in their leadership position.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
That ... is .... so....

That ... is .... so.... sick.

Are they worried they will be so 'tainted' by accepting Satan's money it will scare away their bigger donors? What would that say about such donors?

Religion has ZERO claim to be a moral authority in any sense....

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure the Australian

I'm sure the Australian Cancer Research Foundation (or, let's face it, ANY legitimate body working on finding a cure for cancer) would love to receive a donation of this size. Hope that the potential donor can find an alternative research body to send the money to...

http://www.acrf.com.au/

Time for a serious review of the makeup of the board of the American Cancer Society. According to google, they are "Dedicated to helping persons who face cancer. Supports research, patient services, early detection, treatment and education."

Glad I'm not a cancer researcher seeking funds for a ground-breaking project backed by this society.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
This

This just pisses me off to no end.

If I had the time and the money I would mount a massive protest against them over this.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
How much research can 500

How much research can 500 grand get in this day and age? Or... is it not the amount that matters? I think the amount does matter, because when you run a nonprofit group, you either protect your (bigger) sources of funding, or your group implodes. It is a question of financial survival and not a question of morality. Guess what? The people in question (theists) have lotsa money, and thus quite a bit of deciding power over situations like these.

I agree that this does speak to the compromised morality often seen in religion, particularly Abrahamic religions.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hopefully they've pissed off

Hopefully they've pissed off enough people to see their donations plummet.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.