Do you own an atheist website?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Do you own an atheist website?

I would like to purchase a new server for the RRS and it's subsidiary sites within the next 9 months.  This will run somewhere between $2,000 and $3,000.  I'm hoping to find a few situations where smaller atheist sites could see an advantage in being hosted on a server of other atheist material.  A server when you know you won't be removed for offensive views.  A server that has pooled resources to protect and maintain it, a chance to grow together, and help one another.  

If you own an atheist website and would like to leave your current host and jump on the next new RRS server, I am looking for help covering the cost of the server.  I would like to offer a 2 or 3 year contract for hosting with hopes of being able to get an upfront payment in return.  The upfront payment would help me cover the cost of the server. After the 2 or 3 yr contract is up, you could continue on a month to month payment.

If you are a small site and pay $5-$30 per month, this could potentially benefit both of us.

There are several forum members who I am hoping speak up for this offer.  Feel free to send me a private message or post here.

If you would simply like to make a donation for the new server please donate through this link.  A new server will make the site run much faster.

- Brian Sapient

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What are the hardware

What are the hardware specs for the new servers you are considering?

What are the existing server specs?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Current specs are a

Summary:
Dell 1U Server
12 core CPU, 2.8GHz
64GB Memory
4 x 250GB of storage on 2 mirrored pairs 
Hot swappable drives (can tolerate up to one failed drive, and the failed drive can be replaced while the server is running)
Redundant power supply (one power supply can fail and server will continue to run until the other one fails)

Total: $3,790

Upgrade to 64GB of memory added $914

Add two more 250GB drives for backup and performance with multiple websites (two mirrored pairs or a striped mirror) added +$178

Detailed specs:
PowerEdge R415 Chassis w/ up to 4 Hot-Plug Hard Drives,LCD diagnostics
x2 AMD Opteron™ 4184, 6C 2.8GHz, 3M L2/6M L3, 1333Mhz Max Mem
32GB Memory (4x8GB), 1333MHz Dual Ranked Low Volt RDIMMs for 2Procs, Optmzd
RAID 1 for SAS 6ir, PERC H200/H700 Controllers
PERC H200 Adapter RAID Controller (Internal Controller)
2x 250GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5" Hot Plug Hard Drive
Power Supply, Redundant, 500W
2x NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power Cord
One Two-Port Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5716 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
No Rack Rails or Cable Management Arm
Bezel
DVD-ROM Drive, Internal

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
The existing specs are: 1U

The existing specs are:
1U Server
4 core CPU, 2.4GHz
4GB Memory
500GB of storage on 1 pair of software mirrored drives. Internal drives with software mirroring. May sustain a single drive failure without crashing, but could fail to reboot. Drive replacement requires additional cost and downtime.
The power supply is not redundant. So that in combination with the software RAID, limits the number of years that I can trust the server to be reliable.

The biggest performance issue right now is memory and old software. We are not going to make the memory mistake again. Memory was expensive when the last server was purchased, now it is cheap.  There are additional performance optimizations that I can make with plenty of memory, but are not feasible on the existing server.

There is some software help that we could use during the upgrade, such as themes for each of our sites in the network.

I originally spec'ed this server out in July 2011, and the base spec plus the hard drive upgrade would have been $3,586.00.  Now it is $2,876, a drop of $710.  If this model is not discontinued, I suspect that it will drop further.  I spec'ed out the upgrade because we are about to enter year 4 on this server, and years 4-5 begin the later hardware failure bathtub curve.  The first components that tend to fail are hard drives, followed by power supplies, then miscellaneous stuff, such as capacitors (which are everywhere).  So if we get easily replaceable hard drives and redundant power supplies, we can probably use this new server for 5 years without issues.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reap Paden (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
content

I already have a stream running but if you need content I'd be happy to help out. I have several projects that may be of interest to you. Peace -Reap