FTC goes after Reebok for deceptive adds, but not credit cards, banks or insurance?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FTC goes after Reebok for deceptive adds, but not credit cards, banks or insurance?

The FTC is fining Reebock, and I think rightfully so, for making claims that wearing the shoes will lift and firm your butt.

But yet contractual shell games that stack the deck against home buyers, credit card holders, shareholders, and cell phone holders, all that gets a pass.

I really find it sick that big business tries to claim morals just because they have paid off law makers to rig the deck in their favor with the lame excuse "it's legal".

If they are willing to go after Reebok, then they most certainly SHOULD put some people in jail that caused this economic mess.

Its nice to see government stand up to corporate bullies. But when the hell are those responsible for our economic mess be held accountable?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Vastet wrote: You

cj wrote:

Vastet wrote:
You capitalists never appreciate that you got lucky and met the right people.

He has posted elsewhere that one of these people was his own Dad. 

My uncle went from rags to riches.  Well, middle class to upper middle class.  He did it by antagonizing most of his relatives and many other business people in town.  He spent next to no time with his family and went after the money - first, last and foremost.  Many of us chose not to take that path and it doesn't make us lazy or stupid.

I was lucky because I have a dad who was experienced in business and encouraged my own business activities. I wasn't raised with the defeatist attitude that many seem to be. However, whatever Brian has accused me of I am not a trustfund baby. My dad gave me the greatest thing he could; nothing. He gave me a credit line that started at $20 and went up to $300 charged me 10% interest. I dug myself into a hole and learned the lessons of overextending your credit line at age 14 when I realized my weekly allowance of $5 was never going to pay back my debt. By age 16 I had a budget and paid for everything I wanted with my own money. It didn't even occur to me to ask him to cover my medical expenses when I got out of the military or to help with college expenses. I was lucky because by the time I moved out of home I didn't go through the adjustment period I saw many of my peers go through as they adjusted to having to take care of things themselves. I had already been doing so for several years. It seems to me that kids today are even more coddled and sheltered from having to do things for themselves than even my generation was but maybe my perception is skewed. 

As far as your uncle is concerned, I have seen running businesses be as destructive to family as heavy drinking or drugs can be. It is easy for someone to become married to their business, to some extent a massive time commitment is required, and to some extent many business owners could easily spend less time working. It is possible to have a business model that requires very little time from the owner which is what I prefer because I am lazy and don't want to work everyday. I don't think whether or not you choose to run businesses makes any comment on your work ethic or intelligence. My only objection is to the attitude that it somehow requires luck and those who do choose to run businesses somehow don't deserve the rewards they reap. What you might have to sacrifice in terms of time or comfort and what your potential rewards are depend on the business model you set up. If you decide that you don't want to start a business because you are unwilling to take the risks or make the necessary sacrifices, fine. If you think that your can't start a successful business because you didn't win life's lottery, then you are coming from a position of ignorance and I am going to point it out.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was so much bs in that

There was so much bs in that it'd take 6 posts just to laugh at it all. You have no appreciation of the reality of life for the average person, and in all your blather you have yet to give a single credible way of gathering capital without a significant reliance on luck, and a high probability of destitution. The idea that it's easy to meet investors is absolutely ridiculous. The idea that any of this has anything to do with the subject of producers being underpaid is more so.
It's also absolutely ridiculous that you even think you have an argument. You've failed to refute a single thing I've said, and since all you can do is attempt, but fail, to make it look easy to make shitloads of miney from literally nothing (which is not possible), clearly further debate with you is a waste of time.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:There was so

Vastet wrote:
There was so much bs in that it'd take 6 posts just to laugh at it all. You have no appreciation of the reality of life for the average person, and in all your blather you have yet to give a single credible way of gathering capital without a significant reliance on luck, and a high probability of destitution. The idea that it's easy to meet investors is absolutely ridiculous. The idea that any of this has anything to do with the subject of producers being underpaid is more so. It's also absolutely ridiculous that you even think you have an argument. You've failed to refute a single thing I've said, and since all you can do is attempt, but fail, to make it look easy to make shitloads of miney from literally nothing (which is not possible), clearly further debate with you is a waste of time.

Where did I say it was easy? I had assumed that we had moved on from the subject of pay between producers vs paperpushers as I have nothing more to say on the subject other than show me how it would work. When I asked why you didn't attempt to create such a company you said because of funding. I offered very specific things you could do to try and solve that problem. If luck is being in the right place at he right time, I advised which place you should be in at which time. I never claimed it would be easy, just that it is possible. Your not going to find guarantees in the business world. Even if you did find an investor you would most likely live in extreme poverty for at least another year, maybe more, before you turn a decent profit.

If you choose to not even try for whatever reason, that's your business. But don't be surprised when those who do try get "lucky" while you remain at your current job or something like it whining about how you don't get paid enough. If you don't like where you are now, try doing something different. I offered something different for you to try, take it or leave it, I don't really care. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:cj

Beyond Saving wrote:

cj wrote:

Vastet wrote:
You capitalists never appreciate that you got lucky and met the right people.

He has posted elsewhere that one of these people was his own Dad. 

My uncle went from rags to riches.  Well, middle class to upper middle class.  He did it by antagonizing most of his relatives and many other business people in town.  He spent next to no time with his family and went after the money - first, last and foremost.  Many of us chose not to take that path and it doesn't make us lazy or stupid.

I was lucky because I have a dad who was experienced in business and encouraged my own business activities. I wasn't raised with the defeatist attitude that many seem to be. However, whatever Brian has accused me of I am not a trustfund baby. My dad gave me the greatest thing he could; nothing. He gave me a credit line that started at $20 and went up to $300 charged me 10% interest. I dug myself into a hole and learned the lessons of overextending your credit line at age 14 when I realized my weekly allowance of $5 was never going to pay back my debt. By age 16 I had a budget and paid for everything I wanted with my own money. It didn't even occur to me to ask him to cover my medical expenses when I got out of the military or to help with college expenses. I was lucky because by the time I moved out of home I didn't go through the adjustment period I saw many of my peers go through as they adjusted to having to take care of things themselves. I had already been doing so for several years. It seems to me that kids today are even more coddled and sheltered from having to do things for themselves than even my generation was but maybe my perception is skewed. 

As far as your uncle is concerned, I have seen running businesses be as destructive to family as heavy drinking or drugs can be. It is easy for someone to become married to their business, to some extent a massive time commitment is required, and to some extent many business owners could easily spend less time working. It is possible to have a business model that requires very little time from the owner which is what I prefer because I am lazy and don't want to work everyday. I don't think whether or not you choose to run businesses makes any comment on your work ethic or intelligence. My only objection is to the attitude that it somehow requires luck and those who do choose to run businesses somehow don't deserve the rewards they reap. What you might have to sacrifice in terms of time or comfort and what your potential rewards are depend on the business model you set up. If you decide that you don't want to start a business because you are unwilling to take the risks or make the necessary sacrifices, fine. If you think that your can't start a successful business because you didn't win life's lottery, then you are coming from a position of ignorance and I am going to point it out.

Man, I'm a younger guy and you sound very wise, so I'd love to hear some financial advise from you - right now I've been spending my money poorly and I've dug myself into a financial whole with debt, so do you have any books or anything similar that you recommend?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I had assumed that we had

"I had assumed that we had moved on from the subject of pay between producers vs paperpushers as I have nothing more to say on the subject other than show me how it would work."

It would work quite simply. Producers being paid more, paper paid less. The top of a corporation eats more resources than the bottom, and can easily thrive with less. While the bottom hovers at the poverty line, and often below it. Something that has become more pronounced with every year that goes by for decades.

"When I asked why you didn't attempt to create such a company you said because of funding."

No, I said I couldn't start a company period because of funding. To attempt an experiment in the process increases the difficulty by large magnitudes. An experiment which wouldn't prove anything anyway, because all the other corporations would still be paying peanuts to the source of their income, and gold mines to people who do nothing in comparison.
And all you did was suggest ways to meet people.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I've already spent 33

Well I've already spent 33 years meeting people and making friends, and not one of them is rich or even well off enough to have disposable income. Even the business owners I know are too poor to supply their own company, let alone invest in a new one. You simply are under the false impression that no matter where you live it's easy to meet these people, but even in major cities it is NOT. In small towns it becomes much more difficult. The rich avoid the poor, even the middle class (what's left of it). They don't hang out at charities. And they don't share your claimed willingness to overlook education.

If even a fraction of what you said was true, there would be a lot more people running business' than there are now.

The FACT is that if people like yourself don't smarten up soon, people like myself will be stringing up the rope, and you'll have noone to blame but yourselves when we take your money and kill your families, as has happened every single time the rich get too rich by making the working class

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
too poor to eat. The poor

too poor to eat. The poor are already more than half way there, eating fake "kraft dinner" instead of greens and meat. Once they can't even afford that, the hammer will fall.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

Man, I'm a younger guy and you sound very wise, so I'd love to hear some financial advise from you - right now I've been spending my money poorly and I've dug myself into a financial whole with debt, so do you have any books or anything similar that you recommend?

I typed up a blog post on the subject of debt http://www.rationalresponders.com/rational_budgeting_dealing_debt 

As far as books are concerned I have not read a enough of the personal finance books to be able to assert which ones are best. Dave Ramsay's books are good and I have heard good things about Suze Orman's books but have not read them myself. Swing by your library and see what they have available. Most budgeting systems work if you stick to them, it is simply important to have one that you will follow through with and will leave you with a surplus. I advocate the envelope system (which is also advocated by Ramsay) but it can be labor intensive so you have to be disciplined enough to actually do it. 

When it comes to actually investing I hold a fundamentally different view than most of the personal finance experts. I might discuss that in a later blog. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: It would work

Vastet wrote:
It would work quite simply. Producers being paid more, paper paid less. The top of a corporation eats more resources than the bottom, and can easily thrive with less. 

And what do you do when all the good paper pushers decide to work elsewhere? If someone can make millions with another company, why would they work for you at a much lower salary? You would either need to find a way to make the company survive without them, or find workers who can fill those positions but for some reason are unable to get a job elsewhere.

Vastet wrote:

Well I've already spent 33 years meeting people and making friends, and not one of them is rich or even well off enough to have disposable income. Even the business owners I know are too poor to supply their own company, let alone invest in a new one. You simply are under the false impression that no matter where you live it's easy to meet these people, but even in major cities it is NOT. In small towns it becomes much more difficult.

I told you specifically what town they will be in on which days. If you want to meet them you go to places they will be. Yes, in a large city you would have better luck. If you go to particularly wealthy neighborhoods your odds are even better. Although I suspect you would be surprised at some of the areas millionaires live. You would do well to go to the library and pick up Thomas Stanley's book "The Millionaire Next Door", your not looking for someone living in a multi-million dollar house driving a $100k+ car. You are looking for the person who has a modest yet nice house, drives an older but probably luxury car and saves their money. A person with a low consumption lifestyle is far more likely to have funds on hand to consider investing in your business than someone with a high consumption lifestyle.  

Vastet wrote:

The rich avoid the poor, even the middle class (what's left of it). They don't hang out at charities.

Really? Odd, usually when I attend a charity event I run into people I know have money. Do you know where I met John who I wrote about in my blog a bit back? I met him in an Applebee's. I guess neither of us were aware that we are supposed to avoid the poor or middle class. Or maybe its that I didn't know Applebee's is such an upscale place. The richest man I know routinely eats at Max & Erma's. I guess that must be a real upscale place too. You don't need a billionaire to invest in you, you just need someone with $50k which in my book is middle class. 

Vastet wrote:

And they don't share your claimed willingness to overlook education. 

How do you know that? You said you don't know any of them. Really, the largest obstacle you would have in getting an investor is your crazy idea that there is no need to pay paper pushers well. If you followed my suggestions I can virtually guarantee that you will get a chance to pitch your idea to some people who could afford to invest in you. Convincing them you have a viable idea is a whole different issue.

Vastet wrote:

The FACT is that if people like yourself don't smarten up soon, people like myself will be stringing up the rope, and you'll have noone to blame but yourselves when we take your money and kill your families, as has happened every single time the rich get too rich by making the working class

Wow, that almost makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as Xtian love. Funny how you rationalize killing not only me but my family by saying its my fault because somehow I prevented you from making more money. Exactly what have I done to prevent you from making money?