atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Um, not sure if Americans

Um, not sure if Americans should be signing it but he has gone after people in America. And yes, this nut needs to be taken seriously. He is a time bomb waiting to go off from what I see from his posts. How many signatures have you gotten so far?

And I think it would equally be important to document EVERY post he makes so that a record of it can be sent to the police department.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian37 wrote:

Um, not sure if Americans should be signing it but he has gone after people in America. And yes, this nut needs to be taken seriously. He is a time bomb waiting to go off from what I see from his posts. How many signatures have you gotten so far?

And I think it would equally be important to document EVERY post he makes so that a record of it can be sent to the police department.

Canada has a law that says 'you can't  threathen a foreign national FROM Canada'  period.

I signed the petition I would ask that ALL foreign nationals sign it as well, please sign and make a short comment as well.  If you can  do it IN la'  Franches'   that would be even better!!!!!

Mon dieux,   vous le vous souviens le franches,  tres bien.   Mon amis souviens!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Signed.  Even though this

Signed.  Even though this will certainly get me more of the stupid polls from that normally daft web site.

Also, Mabus is posting in the comments himself.  Currently, he is running under the name Felix Krull but that will probably get shut down soon.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
If he was making death

If he was making death threats, you shouldn't need a petition to report him.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Captain, he has been

Captain, he has been reported a number of times.  To the FBI, the RCMP and the Montreal City Police.  Nobody will drop their cocks long enough to do anything about him.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Captain, he has been reported a number of times.  To the FBI, the RCMP and the Montreal City Police.  Nobody will drop their cocks long enough to do anything about him.

He isn't the only person in the world who has a screw loose. I am not saying nothing shouldn't be done, just that our governments respectively may be focused on other threats. We do have nuts targeting celebrities all the time. We have nuts targeting specific labels based on race, religion, sexuality. And we have domestic stalkers going after their wives or girlfriends because of being emotionally disturbed.

It may be in all likelihood a swamped system that is simply dealing with tons of shit.

Even outside the issue of nuts, you follow any given major city's homicide department, they can tell you they have only so much time to spend on one case before they have to move onto another. It takes a lot of squeaky wheels to get them to go back to a prior case.

I'd say squeak loud and often. But also remember that both our country's systems deal with all sorts of nuts every day, not just him.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

That is true enough Brian.

However, there is something new going on. A couple of years ago, he was just doing the occasional drive by, albeit on a great many web sites. Recently, he has started escalating. I have killed four new accounts from him in the past two days. P. Z. Meyrs blogged a couple of days ago that he has to spend at least an hour at the beginning of every day cleaning out the comments on Pharyngulia and his twitter feed. I would assume that his other targets such as Randi, Shermer and Dawkins are doing the same as well. Hell, he is even spamming the crap out of the petition comments.

The concern here is that he is either fully snapped or about to do so. With his history of open death threats, this makes him a dangerous person. The famous picture of him is from when he showed up at an atheist conference. Where will he show up next and will he have a suicide bomb under his coat?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Signed.  Even though this will certainly get me more of the stupid polls from that normally daft web site.

Also, Mabus is posting in the comments himself.  Currently, he is running under the name Felix Krull but that will probably get shut down soon.

Just create an email account to use for everything that will spam you. My secondary email has like 20k unopened emails and thats without even looking in the spam folder.

Should something be done about the guy? Sure maybe, at least a visit in real life from the cops, give him a warning or something, but regardless it is not for me to enforce Canada's laws. Canada may have a law saying that it is illegal to threaten people outside of Canada, but that is for Canadians to uphold. If it was a poll, sure I would vote but a petition loses all meaning if people who the Canadian government have no obligation n towards are the ones petitioning. But thats just me sign if you want. he probably deserves it. Though I must say I find it hard to take an internet petition seriously.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Montreal police start probe

Montreal police start probe of Twitter threats

St. Laurent man's tweets target scientists, atheists, online petition alleges

MONTREAL - Bombarded with "a few hundred" screen shots of various Twitter threats alleged to have been issued by a St. Laurent man - and by more than 3,200 email complaints from all over the world so far this week - Montreal police said Wednesday they have begun a criminal investigation.

The threats apparently include death and decapitation.

A fast-growing online petition launched Monday demanding Montreal police "Take 'Mabus's death threats seriously" quickly swamped police email facilities, spokesperson Lt. Ian Lafrenière acknowledged: "It was kind of crazy."

He refused to confirm the identity of the St. Laurent man, who often tweets under the name "David Mabus" and who did not return phone calls seeking comment made to his work and home numbers.

Police investigators have been assigned following a formal complaint filed with Station 7, Lafrenière said. He said he couldn't provide the date the complaint was first filed or any developments in the probe.

But Tim Farley, a computer-security expert in Atlanta, Ga., told The Gazette that, "as instructed" by Montreal police, "I filed a report with the Atlanta police on this person in January when he first started sending me direct death threats." Farley said he also faxed that report - on Feb. 10 at 3:43 p.m. - to Station 7 in St. Laurent, the station nearest to where the man apparently lives and works.

"Today (Wednesday) was the first time anyone from the police has ever called me," Farley added.

According to the petition, " 'Mabus' has threatened young boys and girls as well as adults.

"Anyone who associates with scientifically and skeptically minded people," it adds, "is likely to become a target for unsettling rants and threats to their life and well-being," with recipients including "scientists, writers, public figures, atheists, and their friends."

Monday afternoon, following an inquiry by The Gazette, a Montreal police public-relations official said: "We haven't received any complaints" about 'Mabus.'

The police tune changed Wednesday morning, with a tweet from @SPVM that "we are investigating the case." It included a plea to "please stop sending emails to our media address by signing the petition."

Lafrenière said he was not aware of earlier complaints to police about the man's activities. Complainants are "mainly from the (United) States," he added, with others "from all over the world."

Each time the petition is signed online, Lafrenière said, an email is relayed to a Montreal police publicrelations email address. By 8 p.m. Wednesday, that attention-grabbing tactic had yielded a barrage of 3,224 such individual emails.

Prior to Lafrenière's announcement, PZ Myers, a frequent recipient of threats from 'Mabus,' and a biologist and associate professor at the University of Minnesota, blogged that the St. Laurent man's tone has escalated in recent years - "his hate messages have gotten crazier, more vicious, and more frequent."

"I have reported him to the police," Myers added, and "seen these complaints climb the ladder from the local department, to the FBI, to the RCMP, to the Montreal city police, where they promptly fizzle out."

Montreal police, according to Myers, have had "this deranged man making death threats on their watch for over a decade, and have done nothing."

Lafrenière said he wasn't aware of any complaint from Myers.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Police+finally+take+notice+Twitter+threats/5238610/story.html

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Lafrenière said he was not aware of earlier complaints to police about the man's activities. Complainants are "mainly from the (United) States," he added, with others "from all over the world."

Each time the petition is signed online, Lafrenière said, an email is relayed to a Montreal police publicrelations email address. By 8 p.m. Wednesday, that attention-grabbing tactic had yielded a barrage of 3,224 such individual emails.

That will teach me for not taking internet petitions seriously. Though I still think people from outside Canada should not be signing, aside from those on the recieving end of such a threat for obvious reasons.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline

Update:

One of the news articles which I found has him using the phrase “Clobberin' Time”.

This is a long shot but another forum which I used to be (and had an anti religion/politics rule) had a troll who did the same thing. I suspect that he re-registered under a different name. If I message one of the mods, I might be able to get IP addresses.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
It seems that the petition

It seems that the petition is working, there are several articles in the local paper saying that police are now taking the threats seriously. I hope they put this guy in a nut house where he belongs.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 For the last year or so

For the last year or so this guy has only been using public computers (internet cafes, libraries) or proxies from what I've heard. I believe he started out using his home computer, but every ISP in Canada has kicked him off by now.

Does anyone know where he lives or works btw? As in a street address?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
 BTW, look how his tone has

BTW, look how his tone has changed ever since the petition went to the police - I think he's starting to get scared now, heh heh:

---

Felixas Krullus

this is for nicholas - because we care about you

we apologize for any threats you we sent you. we would never hurt you

we just want you to wise up on the real issues and see the inherent problems with atheism...

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Dennis Markuze (David Mabus) gets on the news

There's more links too. Maybe they'll finally do something about this nutjob. I seriously didn't know that he's been doing this for more than 18 years. That's frightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnba0abax1k

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/Montreal/1305551527/ID=2090108384

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110811/mtl_mabus_110811/20110811/?hub=MontrealHome

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Montreal+police+spammed+into+submission/5244394/story.html

Kudos to the guy who started the petition on Change.org.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Antipatris wrote:A petition y'all might like to sign...

Get this Idiot from hurting someone, before its to late. Seriously !   Do Atheist need bodyguards, and should we carry non-lethal weapons ?

Signature ? How ?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
What exactly is the motive

What exactly is the motive for this person's actions??? I couldn't find a credible answer in the link, just a bunch of assumptions.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:What exactly is

Kapkao wrote:

What exactly is the motive for this person's actions??? I couldn't find a credible answer in the link, just a bunch of assumptions.

He's insane, that's about it.

Basically he believes that Nostradamus is a prophet and predicted the coming of the band Depeche Mode, and Mabus believes he won a "James Randi Million Dollar Challenge" - to prove God exists, by using Nostradamus' prophecies as "proof" and that James Randi and the "atheist community" cheated him out of the money he rightfully won - or something like that.

He also spams this forum and hundreds of others daily. Here's an example of this crap - read it and weep:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29612

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

He's insane, that's about it.

Basically he believes that Nostradamus is a prophet and predicted the coming of the band Depeche Mode, and Mabus believes he won a "James Randi Million Dollar Challenge" - to prove God exists, by using Nostradamus' prophecies as "proof" and that James Randi and the "atheist community" cheated him out of the money he rightfully won - or something like that.

He also spams this forum and hundreds of others daily. Here's an example of this crap - read it and weep:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29612

Insane doesn't do this justice. Atheist Genocides... maybe he caught wind of Stalin's actions after about 70+ years.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I signed the petition. I was

I signed the petition. I was signature # 400, I think. It's about time, really.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Update: David Mabus has now

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Taken care of, for the

Taken care of, for the moment. We'll see how this turns out.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow! Never thought it would

Wow! Never thought it would happen. Very interesting.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Wow! Never

natural wrote:

Wow! Never thought it would happen. Very interesting.

The only thing I'm worried about now, is that the charges will be dropped due to lack of evidence, and he'll be back to spamming again. Though even if he doesn't go to jail, maybe the knowledge now that he's not invincible behind his computer will be enough to scare him out of future trolling.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like Markuze provided

Looks like Markuze provided plenty of evidence directly to the Montreal police himself. Good summary of the whole affair, and an enjoyable read.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!