Poll: Disapproval of Congress hits all-time high

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Poll: Disapproval of Congress hits all-time high

CBS News Poll analysis by the CBS News Polling Unit: Sarah Dutton, Jennifer De Pinto, Fred Backus and Anthony Salvanto.

Americans have looked disapprovingly at their representatives in Congress for decades. But it's never been this bad.

In the wake of the hard-fought debt limit debate, a new CBS News/New York Times poll finds that 82 percent of Americans disapprove of the way Congress is doing its job - the highest disapproval rating since polling began in 1977. Just 14 percent approve of Congress' performance.

The uptick in frustration comes after Congress narrowly avoided an economic catastrophe of its own making by failing to hammer out a deal to raise the nation's $14.3 trillion debt limit until the deadline for action. And neither side was happy with the outcome: Conservatives said the final deal, which is projected to cut around $2.5 trillion over ten years from a projected $24 trillion debt, didn't go far enough; liberals complained that the initial deficit reduction came entirely in the form of spending cuts, not revenue increases as Democrats initially demanded.

Meanwhile, the stock market has plummeted in the wake of the deal, dropping more than 500 points Thursday.

The survey, taken on August 2nd and 3rd - immediately after the deal was reached - found Americans more frustrated with congressional Republicans than their Democratic counterparts when it came to the negotiations.

That's not to say congressional Democrats have much to crow about. Sixty-six percent of Americans disapprove of their handling of the debt ceiling debate; just 28 percent approve.

But Republicans fare worse: Seventy-two percent of Americans disapprove of their performance during the debt ceiling debate, while just 21 percent approve.

And Republicans get most of the blame for the standoff. Forty-seven percent blame Republicans in Congress, while 29 percent blame President Obama and congressional Democrats; 20 percent say both are to blame.

A majority of Americans - 52 percent - says Republicans in Congress compromised too little in the debate. Fewer - 34 percent - say Democrats, including President Obama, compromised too little. Republicans were more likely to think members of their party compromised too little (34 percent) than to say they compromised too much (26 percent).

By contrast, Democrats were more likely to think members of their party compromised too much (41 percent) rather than too little (20 percent). Overall, 26 percent say Democrats compromised too much in the negotiations; just 15 percent say the same of Republicans.

Continued...

CBS news

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Haven't you heard? Stereotypes don't apply to Cj because she doesn't like them, or in her words "[Pigeon holes] don't fit [me]".

Thank you, Kap. 

I hope to hell you're being sarcastic, because I was. Hard to tell over the net.

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Kapkao

Beyond Saving wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Your exact words was "Instead of taxes why not charge people for the government services and resourses they use, just as any business does with it's customers."

I responded that running a business or being run as a business is not allowed by the constitution. That a lot of shit being done by federal government is not constitutional does not make fee-based budgets acceptable. Two wrongs does not equal a right. So on, and so forth.

There is absolutely nothing unconstitutional about fees. We already have several areas of our government that collect fees to pay for part of their operations. For example, the US Postal Service has actually had years it brought revenue into the government (although recently has ran at huge losses). I am not aware of anyone credible challenging their constitutionality. 

You'll note I worded that carefully enough not to claim that fees are unconstitutional (as in the "read between the lines" sense.) Your response, therefore, is a nonsequitur. 

My responses mostly dealt with the lack of necessity in fees. State and local governments were functional before the current economic crisis; they'll be functional and financially sustainable again.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: Kapkao wrote: cj

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

cj wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Haven't you heard? Stereotypes don't apply to Cj because she doesn't like them, or in her words "[Pigeon holes] don't fit [me]".

Thank you, Kap. 

I hope to hell you're being sarcastic, because I was. Hard to tell over the net.

<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>

POW!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)