the free thinking forum rules are irrational.

5_senses_does_n...
User is offlineOffline
the free thinking forum rules are irrational.

Freethinking Anonymous A haven for those who are without a belief in god, to discuss and theorize, think freely, and debate any issue. No taboo issue in here. NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED. wait a minute.... I thought there was no taboo issue in there? How can you have a freethinking forum, and in the same sentence disallow another person's view point to even be posted?  this seems irrational to me. not that I'm a theist or anything, but does anyone see my point?     sincerely,the devils advocate.        

I don't know which I doubt more.
the existence of god, or an open minded atheist.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
5_senses_does_not_reality_mak

5_senses_does_not_reality_make wrote:
How can you have a freethinking forum, and in the same sentence disallow another person's view point to even be posted?

this seems irrational to me.

Theists by definition are not free thinkers. Every conversation starts from "The Bible says that X".

but does anyone see my point?

No.

What part of "A Haven for those who are without a belief in god" is a problem to understand, with you? 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Freethinking Anonymous A haven for those who are without a belief in god, to discuss and theorize, think freely, and debate any issue. No taboo issue in here. NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED. wait a minute.... I thought there was no taboo issue in there? How can you have a freethinking forum, and in the same sentence disallow another person's view point to even be posted?  this seems irrational to me. not that I'm a theist or anything, but does anyone see my point? sincerely,the devils advocate. 

"Freethinker" has come to mean, in general (dictionary) usage:

Quote:

a person who rejects accepted opinions, esp. those concerning religious belief.

I can see how you might see a problem if you are not familiar with the normal way the word is used.

That forum is for people who don't want to be distracted with people pushing conventional beliefs, so they can push more 'out there' ideas around.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just because the strip joint

Just because the strip joint wont hire you as a stripper doesn't mean they wont allow you into the club, or hire you as a bouncer.

If you were not allowed on this site at all because of your belief, you'd have more of a case. But just like if you don't smoke in your house, you might invite a smoker in, but ask them to smoke outside.

I think you are making way too much of this. How is wanting to be around like minded people offensive to you?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a space where atheists

It's a space where atheists can talk without theist interruption or interference. There aren't enough of those places in the world, so it is completely rational to have one here. Theist has something to say they can do it anywhere else on the site. Just not there.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your mom's

Your mom's irrational.

There are a few posts there that we just don't need or want theistic input on. For example, I made one about dealing with depression as an atheist, and a few others shared their stories. Then Jean Chauvin burst in saying something along the lines of "well if you weren't a stupid and horrible atheistic person, you wouldn't be depressed". Now, I wasn't too hurt, but others were extremely offended by it, and I can see why. I hope you can too.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline

Freethinking Anonymous A haven for those who are without a belief in god, to discuss and theorize, think freely, and debate any issue. No taboo issue in here. NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED. wait a minute.... I thought there was no taboo issue in there? How can you have a freethinking forum, and in the same sentence disallow another person's view point to even be posted?  this seems irrational to me. not that I'm a theist or anything, but does anyone see my point?     sincerely,the devils advocate.        

No I digress. Theists are allowed on this website - if I had been the admin I'd have banned that 'Jean Chauvin" guy a long time ago. If atheists want a private room where they can discuss issues, I see nothing wrong with that. Not really any different than a "gay dating" website the way I see it.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

No I digress. Theists are allowed on this website - if I had been the admin I'd have banned that 'Jean Chauvin" guy a long time ago. If atheists want a private room where they can discuss issues, I see nothing wrong with that. Not really any different than a "gay dating" website the way I see it.

Gay dating websites?

FUCK! Next thing you know blacks will be sharing the same bathroom with whites.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Recovering

Brian37 wrote:

Gay dating websites?

Huh? I don't understand that comment.

I was telling the guy that if it was a "gay's only" dating service, I doubt he'd being complaining that it's gay exclusive. So I don't see why he'd complain about an "atheists only" section of the forum. I don't see anything wrong with having "clubs" or groups for individuals who share the same interest, I don't consider that the same as bigotry or discrimination.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Brian37 wrote:

Gay dating websites?

Huh? I don't understand that comment.

I was telling the guy that if it was a "gay's only" dating service, I doubt he'd being complaining that it's gay exclusive. So I don't see why he'd complain about an "atheists only" section of the forum. I don't see anything wrong with having "clubs" or groups for individuals who share the same interest, I don't consider that the same as bigotry or discrimination.

I am sure others here recognized that as a joke.

It was a silly way of recognizing the positive change society has moved towards gays and making fun of bigots at the same time.

That would be the same as,

"What, women have the right to vote" Why am I always the last to know?"

Jokes don't aways have the same impact in text as they do in person. Just consider that South Park style humor. If you like South Park and if you have known me  as long as many others here have, you'd know where I was coming from.