"apostle's" grave found?

Observer
Observer's picture
User is offlineOffline

ApostateAbe
ApostateAbe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Observer

Hard to know what to think since the scientific analysis has not yet been done. This kind of archaeological discoveries (close connections to someone Biblical) seem to happen on a regular basis, but it reflects more than anything the hopes of the team that finds it, not the actual best explanations, though of course sometimes they really do stand up to scrutiny. More often, the identification turns out to be too ambiguous, the date is off, or sometimes it is just an outright fraud. Not that I would make any such conclusion yet. It is a wait-and-see kind of thing, which is boring, but there is no better choice.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apostateabe

The easiest refutation would be the age of the bones at the time of death. St.Phillip the apostle was around age 80, a rare old ago for that time period.  Any reputable Doctor could eye the bones and say if they were 80 yrs or not.

Phillip the apostle is often confused with a certain Phillip the Evangelis. A much younger man who lived and worked in the same area in the late first century.  Eusibius claims they were the same person, the catholic church claims Eusibius is off the mark on this point and off on the details of Phillips death.   

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Doesn't change a damned

Doesn't change a damned thing even if true.

First off the church and it's fans throughout it's history are and were notorious for manufacturing crap. The shroud being the most popular scam.

But, even if a body was found, All the writers were after the fact and cannot be considered eyewitnesses. And that still wouldn't make any of the fantastic parlor trick claims in the bible true.

So in essence, I don't give a shit if this is true or not. Humans are not born of virgins and people do not survive rigor mortis. Nor can they wave a magic wand and bring people back from the dead magically. Nor can they cure blindness by spitting in someone's eye.

Not to mention even before you get to word one of that convoluted gang manual, you still have to swallow the absurd claim that an invisible magical super brain with magical super powers exists.

Of course people wrote the bible, otherwise it wouldn't exist. But that does not make the fantastic claims in it true simply because people wrote it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

assizu
User is offlineOffline
I think so we must allow

I think so we must allow them and give them time to done their research work on Saint Philip's tomb, After that we make the comments on this sensitive issue.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Wait, they have been looking for what they think that they have found?

Confirmation bias much?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
My first issue is its from

My first issue is its from Fox (Faux) News. They are not a responsible news agency. But going past that it will never go beyond conjecture. There is no scientific test that could definitively prove this is him. DNA if available would prove nothing. It is just a novelty story which you find at the check out counter at your local convenience store or fox news.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Observer

All it would prove is that you found the grave of one of the writers. If 3,000 years from now J. K Rollen's grave was lost and then found, it wouldn't make Harry Potter a real person or magic real.

if 3,000 years from now we found the grave of Matt Groening(sp) it wouldn't make Homer or Bart Simpson real.

There is no such thing as an invisible non-material magical super brain. It would not matter if we found the graves of all the 40 authors. Virgin births are bullshit, surviving rigor mortis is bullshit. The earth being created in 6 days is bullshit. Women popping out of a man's rib is bullshit.

Bottom line, it wouldn't matter to me at all. Wouldn't change a thing. Magic sky daddies are not real no matter who claims them or writes stories about them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Feredir28
Feredir28's picture
User is offlineOffline
FUX is NOT news

I do not buy for a second anything what FX shares. I remember early last year that FOX and friends announced that WMDs were found in Afghanistan, which turned out to be completely bogus. They announce things like UFO's, faith healers, people who went to Heaven/Hell and back, and shit like that.

Biblical findings are usually the work of pseudo-archeology, where people find discoveries that they are hoping to find and will match anything to fund and popularize their work.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right Feredir.  If you read

Right Feredir.  If you read the article, the guy making the claim is specific that he thinks this will become a significant pilgrimage site.  Whoever gets the rights to build in the area will make a mint supporting hotels and restaurants for the gullible.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=