One-upping God

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
One-upping God

For this man, "Why can't God heal amputees?" has become "Does God even need to?"

Saw this in the local paper (I'll give the first few paragraphs as I think most would need to subscribe)

Linton man ‘overcome with happiness’ after hand transplant

July 21, 2011, last update: 7/21 @ 12:34 am

Two inches. That’s how far Donnie Rickelman can move the fingers on his new left hand.

But as far as the 36-year-old Linton resident is concerned, those two inches represent the beginning of a brand new life.

“When you’re an amputee, everything changes,” Rickelman said Wednesday, 10 days after receiving a hand transplant from an anonymous male donor. “I’m looking forward to doing all the normal things I used to do before the accident — getting dressed, doing personal hygiene, throwing a baseball with my 16-year-old son.”

YouTube vid from his therapy session - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1ACB56up8&feature=player_embedded

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone calling it a

Anyone calling it a "miracle" yet ?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Antipatris wrote:Anyone

Antipatris wrote:

Surprisingly, no.

But I did like this:

"Rickelman said he will never be able to repay the surgeons, nor the donor and his family."

Nice for credit to be given to the people who actually contributed.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love this stuff

Shows humanity in pleasing light, don't it. The donor, the surgeons. All you guys need now is medicare so's poor folks aren't priced out of toothcare and you'll nearly be a first world country. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Antipatris wrote:

I certainly hope that never happens but then we are living in the world where the guy who ditched the jet in the Hudson a coupe of years ago is discredited for his 30+ years as a commercial pilot after having been a fighter jock for several years by calling what he did “The Miracle on the Hudson”. [/angry]

Atheistextremist wrote:
Shows humanity in pleasing light, don't it. The donor, the surgeons. All you guys need now is medicare so's poor folks aren't priced out of toothcare and you'll nearly be a first world country.

I would say that we are still in the first world. However, there are plenty of us who are desperate to change that status. It is not just the medical care though.

We have, probably the most expensive prison system in the world. We have people who get long term sentences for relatively minor offenses as a result of the “three strikes” laws. Waste of fucking tax dollars there.

The people who do the most valuable work are the ones who draw the smallest salaries.

Firemen and policemen are the obvious ones but teachers are critical to society and underpaid. Ditto long haul truckers. Also social workers. Obviously, I am biased on that one but I specialize in fixing the things that other essential worker can't fix.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

The people who do the most valuable work are the ones who draw the smallest salaries.

Firemen and policemen are the obvious ones but teachers are critical to society and underpaid. Ditto long haul truckers. Also social workers. Obviously, I am biased on that one but I specialize in fixing the things that other essential worker can't fix.

Prob similar over this way - nurses, teachers - even rural doctors - earn under the average wage while moronic corporate chiefs pull tens of millions. Makes you wonder, doesn't it. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck