PROOF! A QUESTION FOR THE ATHIEST...

BELOVED
Theist
BELOVED's picture
User is offlineOffline
PROOF! A QUESTION FOR THE ATHIEST...

It is interesting that this site would use the term RATIONAL to describe it's cause. It seems quite irrational to claim with such certainty that there is no God. 

You have NO proof that God doesn't exist and I therefore question your integrity. It would seem that, at best, you would be forced to admit your lack of surety and label yourself as a seeker of truth, as opposed to a possessor of it.

Please explain how you could mock something you don't know for sure isn't real?

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
BELOVED wrote:There seems to

BELOVED wrote:

There seems to be this unnecessary divide between science and theology. It’s as if it has been decided somewhere that a person must choose one or the other.  I will again assert that science is merely the observation of life. It does not create anything. It doesn’t make choices or somehow “workout” the betterment of mankind.
Though the Bible does not go into every detail about every occurrence, it does answer. Creation, for instance, says that God created the earth. It is the truth at its simplest. Deeper investigation into what has been created aids in wiser use, damage control and more awesome enjoyment of our home, the earth.  The Bible, in it’s simplistic claims, allows wonderful freedom for us to discover and interact with the planet. They also testify of the Lord’s might, seeing as something as mind blowing as parting the sea is easy for God, yet unfathomable to us. In many Bible stories, the people that God is dealing with do not believe the God can do what he says he will do. These people had  a very particular stubbornness in that they HAD seen God do miraculous things and they still didn’t believe Him.

Some of you will hold to scientific laws but will fight against the laws of God. No man will fight the concept of breathing, it is simply the truth that I need breath to live.  My heart must pump blood, my brain needs oxygen. Is it slavery to submit to the laws of life? If any man would choose not to breath...or not to have blood pumping through his veins, he would be begging for the consequences of that choice, calling it originality, boasting of non-conformity when really it’s just foolish.  Considering this is our nature, to be submissive to the laws that govern us, we must therefore admit our lack of universal supremacy. That truth, coupled with the fact that we are life forms with the capacity for free will and emotion, not only leaves ample room for the idea of God but actually points directly to HIS truth.

It seem that those who hold to the observable processes of this life as our only means of understanding have denied the nature of their humanity, denying the deep things of the heart. Ever met someone who was utterly devastated. Broken hearted to the point of  zombie murmurings and uncontrollable tears. Isn’t it interesting that things like that can effect you physically. They supersede natural processes. Some of you would claim that our most important function is to reproduce. It is interesting that healthy pregnancies are aided by a woman’s healthy emotional state. Babies develop better when loved and caressed. Humans are more alert, more productive, more ALIVE when they operate in love, joy, diligence and all the other things that make up life well lived. The Bible does not address the molecular structure of life, but it certainly addresses matters of the heart, the true core of life.

I'm not even going to count all the replies and questions you just ignored.

Say, are you by any chance mistaking this discussion forum for your own personal blog ?

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Still pretty sure that

Still pretty sure that BELOVED has been crapping on my lawn.  She's been unable to prove otherwise.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Why

Atheistextremist wrote:

Why do christians insist the master of the universe wants to hang out with them in 'the cool of the day'. That's flat out weird. Whoever made this up needs a clip over the ear. 

It's a song from an old movie of the same title.  Fortunately, from what I can see of it in this clip, I have never watched the movie.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=in+the+cool+of+the+day

Didn't listen to all of it, but it sounds just the sort of stuff that would appeal to our Beloved.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I saw a cherry

I think I saw a cherry ..right over there --->

faithnomore
atheist
User is offlineOffline
honest with yourself.

The Bible proves itself to not be true.  Take Matt 21:22 for example, "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."  The meaning of that verse is very clear but it doesn't happen.  If you are true with yourself, you would have to admit that you have prayed for things that didn't happen.  Then you came up with an excuse as to why they didn't happen or you accepted someone else's excuse because you want or need to believe or, like most Christians, you are afraid to entertain any thought that would make you feel like you were questioning God.

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. - Carl Sagan

Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion. - School Superintendent on "The Simpsons" episode #1

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
in the cool of the day

cj wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Why do christians insist the master of the universe wants to hang out with them in 'the cool of the day'. That's flat out weird. Whoever made this up needs a clip over the ear. 

It's a song from an old movie of the same title.  Fortunately, from what I can see of it in this clip, I have never watched the movie.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=in+the+cool+of+the+day

Didn't listen to all of it, but it sounds just the sort of stuff that would appeal to our Beloved.

cj

A bunch of things popped up and I didn't see what you were referring to. So I went to youtube. Found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfVRXCXeShw

Trying to embed here with old embed code so I might need a mod assist.

Although it is a depressing song, a dirge, sheeple should love it. They can be all sad and shit and feel supernatural.

Quote:

My lord he said unto me

"do you like my garden so green?"

you may live in this garden if you will be my sheep

now return in the cool of the day

now is the cool of the day

this earth is a garden, a garden of my lord

he walks in the cool of the day

My lord he said unto me

"do you like my garden so green?"

you may live in this garden if you keep my people free

now return in the cool of the day

this earth is a garden, a garden of my lord

he walks in the cool of the day

So what is the way to keep his people free?

a) free from thought

b) free from living in a country where there are atheist, gays and non-believers

c) free to living in a fantasy world without challenge

d) free to take away the freedom of those who don't believe like them, say bring back stoning.

e) free to turn "free" countries into theoracies

f) free to turn back the clock on education and science

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry for referring to old

Sorry for referring to old post, but it looks like this argument is unanswered and rather shifted on historicity, logic, evidence, etc. Everything else is excellently answered by Bob, Harleysportster, etc.

BELOVED wrote:
 And now for the idea set forth that you should not believe any man that says he’s seen a 6 foot bunny or an electric blue moon...we also agree on that. Any idea set forth should be tested....but tested based on its nature.  Those who trust God experience answered prayer, divine comfort and insight. If a man who does not trust God prays...he will not see the same result...but then he didn’t really test the idea set forth...because Hebrews 11:16 says that “anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists.”  And even then...his unanswered prayer still proves God and the bible because it is written in James 1 :7-8, But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt...That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;

When I say that there is a God who loves you and cares for you as a father does his children and that I experience that love every day...and so do millions of other people. And that there is a document written thousands of years ago that testifies of this same relationship....if tested based on belief, you will have the same result....

And what if I also experience that love every day? It begun during my meditations some years ago. Initially I felt it as a strange presence in my mind that loves me, I felt beloved. Eventually it shifted focus and now it is me that loves the world and people. (it also seems to go along with relatively frequent deja vu feelings and small intuitive ideas which are later seen in reality) I haven't prayed to God since Sunday school and I'm not baptisted. But I can understand how such people might historically become hermits or prophets with religious followers. So what?

Just because some book claims property on this mysterious phenomenon, doesn't mean it's a legitimate claim. This experience of unconditional love is described by some sci-fi authors like Greg Bear, who lets it happen to one of his characters in the novel Darwin's Radio. (the character then gets a fmri brain scan, which is an interesting passage) I also suspect that many other writers also have such experiences, my favorite example are the Strugatski brothers. (they wrote Picnic on a Roadside aka Stalker and many other books) This experience has a deeply transforming effect on personality and I think I can recognize such a person when I get to know one. 

Furthermore, religion is not about love. Religion is about an exclusive devotion to one symbol and indifference or even hostility to everything else, specially to serious alternatives. (because scriptures warn you off) This is why we end up with just a bit of devotion and a lot of hostility. Religion is divisive. Love is inclusive. So what you mean is not a religion, although it might inspire all kinds of people. 

...yeah, and this exact feeling is felt rather in the middle of chest, not on the middle-left side as for physical heart. (fool's heart is on the left, wise man's heart on the right, you know) But I'd prefer to undergo all sorts of brain scans when the technology becomes available, instead of saying goddidit. I don't care who did it, but how and how can we do it ourselves.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.