Witnessed by Jehova's Witnesses

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Witnessed by Jehova's Witnesses

I crashed at a girlfriends house last night and I am taking a slow morning enjoying my coffee. The doorbell rang a few minutes ago and I answered the door in my bathrobe to find a couple of jehova's witnesses. They apparently have talked to her before because they knew her by name and presumably know she is single. The look on their faces when they saw me was priceless  

My gf is non-confrontational so the JWs probably thought they were on the way to converting her. They were so rattled they didn't even bother trying to convert me.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
My husband's favorite

My husband's favorite story:

He was working night shift at a gas station and so slept during the day.  Lived in a nearby apartment complex which was regularly visited by JWs on Saturday mornings.  About the 4th time he was awakened early in the morning, he didn't bother with a bathrobe.  Opened the door and yelled WHAT?  The church lady was accompanied by her young daughter.  She covered her daughter's eyes with her pamphlets and fled.  No more JWs came to that apartment building while he was living there. 

Next time, see what happens when you skip the bathrobe.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I crashed at a girlfriends house last night and I am taking a slow morning enjoying my coffee. The doorbell rang a few minutes ago and I answered the door in my bathrobe to find a couple of jehova's witnesses. They apparently have talked to her before because they knew her by name and presumably know she is single. The look on their faces when they saw me was priceless  

My gf is non-confrontational so the JWs probably thought they were on the way to converting her. They were so rattled they didn't even bother trying to convert me.

A long time ago, ironically when I still believed, but hated thumpers. I was on my porch having a cigarette with my mother, and a car pulled up into our driveway. A pair of suited people with books under their arms got out, AND WITHOUT PERMISSION walked up the steps onto the porch.

As they were walking to us one of them said "Smoking is bad for you".

Without a word, I pulled another out of my pack, ran it under my nose as if to sniff it, pulled out my lighter and lit it, and exaggerated a puff. By the time I finished the cartoonish actions they were face to face with us. The smoke blew right into their faces. They said nothing, turned around and left.

There is lots we don't agree on. But this is one thing that annoys the shit out of me too. And not even about religion, but ADVERTISING at my home. I hate junk mail. I hate spam e-mail, and I hate door to door shucksters no matter what they are peddling.

You should have said, " Hey, wanna join us?"

This reminds me of The Ranting Griffin(sp).

He has a clip taking about inviting these nuts in, while he takes gun parts out of a box and cleans them while talking to them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:My husband's

cj wrote:

He was working night shift at a gas station and so slept during the day.  Lived in a nearby apartment complex which was regularly visited by JWs on Saturday mornings.  About the 4th time he was awakened early in the morning, he didn't bother with a bathrobe.  Opened the door and yelled WHAT?  The church lady was accompanied by her young daughter.  She covered her daughter's eyes with her pamphlets and fled.  No more JWs came to that apartment building while he was living there. 

lol

I just hope he didn't meet the same fate as this poor SOB here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2009/10/22/2009-10-22_virginia_man_arrested_for_indecent_exposure_for_being_naked_in_his_own_...

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

cj wrote:

lol

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2009/10/22/2009-10-22_virginia_man_arrested_for_indecent_exposure_for_being_naked_in_his_own_...

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/man_convicted_of_being_naked_at_home_wins_appeal_of_indecent_exposure_case/ 

That guy actually won his case on appeal but his main argument was that the exposure wasn't intentional because he was just walking around his house and the women were looking in his window. Kind of hard to say the exposure isn't intentional when you answer the door. imo you deserve to see whatever you see when you knock on someone else's door. I also think Americans make way too big a deal of nudity. Some people seem to think that if a kid sees a naked person they will instantly be scarred for life. Ridiculous.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

cj wrote:

lol

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/man_convicted_of_being_naked_at_home_wins_appeal_of_indecent_exposure_case/ 

That guy actually won his case on appeal but his main argument was that the exposure wasn't intentional because he was just walking around his house and the women were looking in his window. Kind of hard to say the exposure isn't intentional when you answer the door. imo you deserve to see whatever you see when you knock on someone else's door. I also think Americans make way too big a deal of nudity. Some people seem to think that if a kid sees a naked person they will instantly be scarred for life. Ridiculous.

It is totally ridiculous.  There was a guy who was separated from his daughter because he forgot a towel and had to walk down the hall to get one and she saw him naked.  Seems silly when for millennium, people have been living in very small spaces with sex happening regularly in front of the rest of the family group.  And what really gets me is the "Family Friendly" check out stand at my local store.  No magazines - of any kind.  Some 5 year old might see some model with her boobs half hanging out of her top or a headline on an article about how to have better sex.  pfffftttttt.........  I like to scan the headlines as I wait my turn.  I particularly liked the one - "Haiti is selling off surplus Zombies!"  

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

cj wrote:

lol

I agree on that totally. Christians think that a kid seeing a nipple or a penis will scar them for life, but reading Bible verses about murder, rape, and pillaging, and scaring kids into thinking they might go to hell and be tortured with fire for eternity? Now that's all hunkie dorie.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:That guy

Beyond Saving wrote:

That guy actually won his case on appeal but his main argument was that the exposure wasn't intentional because he was just walking around his house and the women were looking in his window.

I wonder how the 'law' would view it if it was a woman naked in the house and 2 men on the street looking in...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Beyond Saving

redneF wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

That guy actually won his case on appeal but his main argument was that the exposure wasn't intentional because he was just walking around his house and the women were looking in his window.

I wonder how the 'law' would view it if it was a woman naked in the house and 2 men on the street looking in...

The men would probably be charged with a crime - lmao

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons don't even bother coming to my house anymore.  I think the last few times the Jehovah's Witnesses came they just asked if I had heard the good news, then handed me a pamphlet and invited me to church and left.  When I say, "No, I haven't heard of the good news," they usually explain it for 15 seconds and that's it.  I used to have fun debating them, now it's pointless and I dismiss them.

What was really funny was when two teenage Mormons came to my door wearing name tags that said "Elder" on them.  I debated them for a few days and then they gave up.  That was about ten years ago.

That reminds me of a joke Bill Maher said, "During the Dark Ages when you didn't convert to Christianity they would kill you.  Now when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door you just turn the garden house on them." 

aah, good stuff.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I had several rude assholes show up and tried to force their selves in to the house. They didn't get physical but they really wanted to go inside to sit down.

I made them sit on the sidewalk in order to talk to me.

After two weekends they got the hint. I was only dragging them along on a ride. Every time they said some thing as "factual" I replied with a "why?" like a 4 year old.

"Jesus is your savior"

"Why?"

"Because he died for your sins"

"Why?"

"Because he loves you"

"Why?"

"Because your soul is worth saving"

"Why?"

Eventually I got a sign which said "DO NOT RING BELL. DO NOT KNOCK. DO NOT DISTURB".

I put it up every Friday evening and keep it up until Sunday.