Have you guys noticed the traffic at RRS has gone down?

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you guys noticed the traffic at RRS has gone down?

I've noticed I don't see as many new responses as I did a year or more ago.  I also just don't seem to see quite as many new posts. That OBVIOUSLY does not reflect upon atheism/agnosticism because religion is dying out in America and the west and the evidence is clear. Christians talk about it all the time.

It's just that this site doesn't get enough exposure.  I saw RRS on Nightline during a debate on god with this dark haired guy from RRS and his girlfriend with big tits.  Is it true that him or someone else actually became a Christian?? No f*ckin way could it have been him! He was FERVENTLY anti-religious!

So how do you guys view the traffic on here and how are things at the site in general?

I was always honest and said I come and go just like others do here.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:It's

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

It's just that this site doesn't get enough exposure.  I saw RRS on Nightline during a debate on god with this dark haired guy from RRS and his girlfriend with big tits.  Is it true that him or someone else actually became a Christian?? No f*ckin way could it have been him! He was FERVENTLY anti-religious!

I think that's referring to Rook, who is now an agnostic deist.

The Nightline was from Sapient and Tits Mckee.

The only original member still on the boards is Sapient.

Rook left, and apparently became a Deist

I don't know what happened to Yellow Number 5

Hambydammit left for his blog

Tits Mckee went who knows where to do who knows what.

Many original members left. I can only remember very few who are still here from when I first joined.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does anyone know

Does anyone know what ever happened to todangst ? I sure do enjoy reading his articles.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Think it tends to ebb and flow a bit around

The activity of theists. We'll have some god person arrive and post silly and after they are assaulted by dozens of us, most disappear and never return. Only a few theists are able to handle this though all tend towards madness by the end. Jean Chauvin, Mr_Met being a couple that spring to mind. I can't blame them in honesty. Arguing with ten people at once would be arduous which I guess is why most will pick a single protagonist and concentrate on them. 

I do wonder whether we shouldn't be polite to cerebral god people in order to keep them around for additional conversation instead of driving them away. Tho' that's the fun part, I guess.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I think

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Ooohh, interesting. Not really a Jesus mythicist anymore either, I think. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I've

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I've noticed I don't see as many new responses as I did a year or more ago.  I also just don't seem to see quite as many new posts. That OBVIOUSLY does not reflect upon atheism/agnosticism because religion is dying out in America and the west and the evidence is clear. Christians talk about it all the time.

I'm the dark haired guy.  The girlfriend with the big tits is anti-theist, her and I broke up about 2 years ago.  During the timeframe that you're talking about I was able to work on RRS fulltime.  I was on point at all times, today I have to work a full time job plus work on the side on top of that job.  I have some time each day to check the site, some days I'm able to spend an hour, but I don't have nearly the time I once had.  I still hope that someday I can launch publicity stunts like I used to, but for now I'm in a holding pattern. 

Because I don't have the time to promote like I used to the traffic is far from where it was.  However traffic is still stronger than most other atheist sites.  And on some days it is about what it was at it's most visited time.

I take my responsibility to the community that has grown here seriously.  RRS is a meeting point for atheists who believe we should respond to irrational claims like those made by religion.  It will continue to stay up and thrive.  I hope everyone reading this thread sticks around for the ride.  Currently we're saving up for a new server in the $3,500 range.  We need to buy that by next fall.  All donations appreciated! 

- Brian

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I think

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No fucking way.  Unreal.

Quote:
Rook left, and apparently became a Deist

It's helpful to know Rook became a Deist a long time after leaving RRS. 

Quote:
I don't know what happened to Yellow Number 5

He took a job in Boston and likes to live life without worrying about this shit.

Quote:
Tits Mckee went who knows where to do who knows what.

She worked in the adult industry for a little while and now claims to be done with it.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Does

harleysportster wrote:

Does anyone know what ever happened to todangst ? I sure do enjoy reading his articles.

He got a PhD and he uses it.  He doesn't do much online now. 

Some people choose to move on from time to time.  I like that new people are always coming in. 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I've

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I've noticed I don't see as many new responses as I did a year or more ago.

You got 7 responses in 3 hours.  Not bad.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

It's on his latest entry on his blog. He also stated that he was no longer a mythicist in another entry.

I don't want to link to it because I don't know if Rook would want that. I'm assuming you already know what it is.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

It's on his latest entry on his blog. He also stated that he was no longer a mythicist in another entry.

I don't want to link to it because I don't know if Rook would want that. I'm assuming you already know what it is.

Holy crap, what a news. How does one become an agnostic deist and how does it look in Rook's style? I can't find that text, I searched both on his blog here and blogsome.com. Would you please send me a PM, e-mail or something, if you don't want to post the link?

As for Jesus mythicism, if he found enough evidence for Jesus and changed his opinion accordingly, then good for him. But somehow I get a feeling that it wasn't the case.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Does

harleysportster wrote:

I don't, primarily because of the "Absence of evidence is not evidence" thing, and he seems to hold challengers (theists) of his positions to a higher standard of proof than he holds much of atheism -or himself(?). I didn't back away from the Abrahamic religions to be exposed to more of the usual "good for me and not for thee" thinking, a type of behavior everyone will find hard to avoid at one point of time or another, admittedly. I'd have to read more from him to be sure.

In his favor he does expose me to views I don't often come into contact with, either here, the rest of the internet, or the real World -even if they do read like propaganda more than actual views. Against his position, is that his methods of deconstructing theism appears to fallen out of favor, over time.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Luminon wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Holy crap, what a news. How does one become an agnostic deist and how does it look in Rook's style? I can't find that text, I searched both on his blog here and blogsome.com. Would you please send me a PM, e-mail or something, if you don't want to post the link?

As for Jesus mythicism, if he found enough evidence for Jesus and changed his opinion accordingly, then good for him. But somehow I get a feeling that it wasn't the case.

Atheists are impervious to 'going bad' eventually??? Nah, just another misconception that needs to be put to rest.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you guys joking, did

Are you guys joking, did Rook really become an agnostic deist? I visit this site every day, how the heck can I be so out of that loop?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I'm the dark haired guy.  The girlfriend with the big tits is anti-theist, her and I broke up about 2 years ago.  During the timeframe that you're talking about I was able to work on RRS fulltime.  I was on point at all times, today I have to work a full time job plus work on the side on top of that job.  I have some time each day to check the site, some days I'm able to spend an hour, but I don't have nearly the time I once had.  I still hope that someday I can launch publicity stunts like I used to, but for now I'm in a holding pattern. 

Because I don't have the time to promote like I used to the traffic is far from where it was.  However traffic is still stronger than most other atheist sites.  And on some days it is about what it was at it's most visited time.

I take my responsibility to the community that has grown here seriously.  RRS is a meeting point for atheists who believe we should respond to irrational claims like those made by religion.  It will continue to stay up and thrive.  I hope everyone reading this thread sticks around for the ride.  Currently we're saving up for a new server in the $3,500 range.  We need to buy that by next fall.  All donations appreciated! 

- Brian

I am BIG fan of yours my friend!  So it was YOU!  YOU are the really cool guy who helped turn me on the site and increased my passion for anti-ChristNUTTYism!

I'm glad your very passionate about keeping the site up and going strong. I would like to help with a donation once my financial situation improves.

How big was Tits McKee?  Was she bigger than a DD and was she natural or not?

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

LMAO!! You GOT to be kidding!  What does he have?? Evidence for the ARAB mythical god Jesus?

I find that SOOOOOOO hard to believe because he put forth some of the best stuff on the mythology of Jesus I've ever seen!  Being a deist is most definitely NOT incompatible with being a mythicist.   Deists REJECT scripture so it makes perfect sense if he were STILL a mythicist.

There's NO WAY he can believe all the lunacy the bible claims Jesus did so he must be inbetween somewhere at worst.  I mean if he was THAT crazy he'd be a ChistNUT!

Can you please PM the link to his blog where he says that he's no longer a mythicist?? I just find it incomprehensible since he was such a PASSIONATE mythicist.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Luminon wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I couldn't agree more.  Rook was the most passionate mythicist I've seen so for him to switch is like Hitler marrying into a Jewish family! He must be inbetween since there's NO WAY he believes all the fairy tales the bible claims Jesus did! 

I could DESTROY Rook right now since NONE of those claims have any corroboration OUTSIDE the bible! That is classic mythology and he KNOWS it!

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Are you guys

Brian37 wrote:

Are you guys joking, did Rook really become an agnostic deist? I visit this site every day, how the heck can I be so out of that loop?

Like I was saying just before your post... "atheists can't go bad?"

I suppose it could be surprising from the perspective of which atheist turned up a rotten egg in this case, but other than that...

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crikey, JesusNEVER

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

who are you?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Link to 'Rook' s blog - his

Link to 'Rook' s blog - his name is Thomas Verenna.

http://tomverenna.wordpress.com/about/

He is still undecided about Mythicism:

Quote:

I’m agnostic about the historicity of the figure of Jesus.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a reasonable position

That's a reasonable position for him to state publicly, even if he may still have mythicist leanings, and even if he's still actually working on his own myth-hypothesis (which I don't know). He is trying to make it in the academic community (as far as I'm aware, unless he's moved on to something else), and in that community it is sometimes considered over-reaching and perhaps unprofessional to publicly declare holding a position that you do not yet have a solid defence for. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, just that it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if it is.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just checked out Rook's

I just checked out Rook's 'about' page: http://tomverenna.wordpress.com/about/

It's quite detailed, and it doesn't come off as unreasonable at all. Even his agnostic deism is the kind almost nobody could argue with beyond just repeatedly asking, "But why?"

He also links to a book (actually just the intro, as the book is in pre-publication review) he co-edited with Thomas L. Thompson on historical Jesus studies: http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/carp358009.shtml

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I plug this site at the end

I plug this site at the end of every show.... Sapient is my boy...

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:I plug this

Rich Woods wrote:

I plug this site at the end of every show.... Sapient is my boy...

I'll vouch for that,  I think I'm the only RRS regular who tunes in your show. Anyone else ? Speak up!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
My participation ebbs and

My participation ebbs and flows depending on my internet capacity and on how much I'm gaming. But in the years I've come here, there's always been periods of time where the traffic slows down. I think it depends on theist participation, as mentioned, as well as world events, since theism isn't the only thing discussed here.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:How

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I think she posted that she was bigger than DD.

As for her naturalness, let's just say her head wasn't the only thing full of air.

natural wrote:

Even his agnostic deism is the kind almost nobody could argue with beyond just repeatedly asking, "But why?"

I remember falling into that camp. Got out after asking "But Why?" too many times.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: let's

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
let's just say her head wasn't the only thing full of air. 

Hehe, sorry for the ad hom Cap, but uh...

no, I'm not talking about your rack, either

Srsly, are you sure there isn't a blonde joke that wouldn't describe your behavior on the boards at one (more or less inebriated) point in time or another?

(yes, her personality -what little I've seen of it- does remind me of the possible origin of the word "twink": b) Twink is a shortening of the name for the famous "TWINKIE" snack cake: a tasty, cream-filled snack with no nutritional value.)

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:I just checked

natural wrote:

I just checked out Rook's 'about' page: http://tomverenna.wordpress.com/about/

It's quite detailed, and it doesn't come off as unreasonable at all. Even his agnostic deism is the kind almost nobody could argue with beyond just repeatedly asking, "But why?"

But why? That's exactly what I want to ask. Anyway, does this paragraph seem to you detailed? There's certainly not enough of it to be unreasonable.

So my deism is refined enough, and just enough, to know that I imagine there being some being out there that might be defined as ‘divine’ or ‘supreme’.  Beyond that, I don’t have a clarification beyond a simple generalization.

I did not find on his website any further references to his deism. Hell, by this vague definition there may be billions of such beings. What I don't like about this position is, that it's so short and vague, that it can't serve as a topic for a long and pleasant discussion.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
exile

Maybe he has read too much of Acharya or Karen Armstrong...

Anyway I think it could be used at our advantage: the arguments for arguing about the mythicism of Jesus don't come from an atheist!

OT if ever Luminon reads this
following your message in a vastet's thread I tried avernum, and it's worth something, but eschalon I is short and "volatile" (*euphemism*)

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
luca wrote: OT if ever

luca wrote:
OT if ever Luminon reads this following your message in a vastet's thread I tried avernum, and it's worth something, but eschalon I is short and "volatile" (*euphemism*)
Nice to hear that. I must somehow repay the developers for my favorite games by spreading the word. 

I love these Avernum and similar grid-based tactical games, too bad there is a finite number of them and most of that number are unplayable pre-1995 DOS games. Also, someone should invent a web filter to make all these console-style JRPGs disappear. 

I would program and design such a game myself several years ago, except that I failed as a programmer, when it came to pathfinding algorithms and addressing data structures for stuff like putting an item from inventory to the ground. 

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:My

Vastet wrote:
My participation ebbs and flows depending on my internet capacity and on how much I'm gaming. But in the years I've come here, there's always been periods of time where the traffic slows down. I think it depends on theist participation, as mentioned, as well as world events, since theism isn't the only thing discussed here.

Well, the tides come in and the tides go out.  There is no way to explain it.   :--)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
And no miscommunication

And no miscommunication either.

Nialler
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to post for the

I'm going to post for the first time in a very long time.

The Rook Hawkins/Thomas Verenna story has interested me for some time.

He has travelled quite a road from doctrinaire dogmatism to a more reasoned and more reasoned approach. In past times I was very very critical of his pseudo-intellectual posturings. He spoke from a position of absolute and determined evangelical certainty. Worse still,, he adopted a style of flowery high-brow and nonsensical prose with which he cloaked his lack of credentials and knowledge of the area in which he claimed expertise. I castigated him for this on very many occasions.

I am very happy to see that some of the bolognese stuck to the wall albeit he moderated his position to a radical extent - indeed, he seems to be studying now and has actually carried through on his threat to publish (in one case through a vanity publisher but in one case he has edited what has the appearance of being a creditable opus). It's a modification that exceeds what I would have expected. I would have expected a little less dogmatism and possibly something closer to my position of studied and disinterested agnosticism which is a de facto rationale for living as an atheist anyway. He'll possibly modify his position again over time. He's young after all.

I was - and remain - a critic of what the RRS once were. I hope that Kelly is fine, though as well as Brian.

The references to Kelly's breasts by the way, strike me as something that is anachronistic in anyone under 70. She chose to work in the adult industry. That's her choice.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nialler, Things have

Nialler,

Things have certainly evolved over the years, partly from changes in membership, and also certainly partly from changes in the posters themselves.

I'm a pretty good example of this, speaking from my own experience. I used to be a lot more argumentative and dismissive of people's POVs. These days I pick my fights more sparingly, and I'm much more forgiving to the other side. Also I used to have some difficulty getting my clear-to-me thoughts written down in clear-to-others words. I'm still working on my writing style, and think I could probably improve a lot, but I think I'm much better at communicating what I really want to say these days, by a long shot.

However, I don't regret the more flame-y days of RRS, and although I can understand your criticism, and I think it's pretty thoughtful as far as I can tell, I'm glad there was a place for people like me and the other RRS fire-brands. The minimal rules and tolerance of heated but coherent debate was exactly what a lot of people needed. I stand by RRS in those days, because despite the numerous accusations from many different sides, I could not see any *actual* unethical behaviour. And I looked for it. I followed several accusations to their source 'evidence' and was thoroughly unimpressed by the accusers, and it reinforced my appreciation for the core team, especially Brian's integrity under pressure.

These days, I retain my appreciation for minimal rules and open, honest, and even heated debate, although I engage in it much less than before. RRS is still the place I feel most comfortable. There are a few blogs where the comments sections are nearly as good, but forums are overall much better for what we do here.

I think the biggest act of improving the atmosphere here was the banning of Matt_Shizzle. There's a noticeable difference in the site before his ban and after, and it was a large net positive difference.

Thanks for your comment, and feel free to comment on whatever. You might find the atmosphere better for you these days than before.

Nialler
User is offlineOffline
Natural,There was a time

Natural,

There was a time when anyone even remotely critical of RRS was accused of being a "hater" or - as if this is an insult - a theist.

I was never either. I'm actually hoping that Thomas and even Brian gain influential voices. To do that requires that they moderate their tone first. This is something that Verenna has done - to an extent I would not have expected. They always needed to moderate their tone, but this didn't of necessity mean moderating their message. Thomas Verenna has done both. I don't agree with such a radical shift in his position but I applaud his courage in doing it.

To make a shift on the mythicist thing takes guts. I'm glad to see that he has the courage to do so. It will help him if he continues his academic career.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nialler, There was a time

Nialler,

There was a time (actually, it still happens) when people would be critical of the RRS without understanding who or what they were criticizing.

For example, if one or a few persons from the RRS forums accuses someone of being a hater or a theist, that does not mean everyone who considers themselves a member of the RRS agrees.

To be more specific, I was a member during your last visit and I didn't call you (or "anyone even remotely critical of RRS" ) a hater or a theist. And yet, there I was, an actual member of the RRS (forums, not core member, there's a difference there too).

So, when you say that critics of the RRS were accused of being this or that, you are not speaking of the entire RRS, although it sounds as if you are painting them all with the same brush. Our critics tended to do that a lot. The members of the RRS are not a homogeneous lot. Each person is individual and we tend to judge each on his or her own merits, and we also tend to expect others to do the same for us.

We tended to get a lot of people who would show up, flame the entire RRS membership for some perceived sin, and then turn into trolls when they were confronted. I'm not saying this is what you did, I'm saying it was a pattern we had come to expect, and we had our various ways of dealing with it, some snarky and dismissive, some taunting and whatnot, and some just ignoring it for the more interesting conversations.

This is just some food for thought.

As for moderating tone vs. message: I'm very skeptical of people telling atheists to moderate their tone. If you're not familiar with the recent Gnu Atheist activity, you might be interested to become familiar with it (google, e.g.) to understand why I and others feel this way. There is a persistent pattern of people (even other atheists) telling outspoken atheists to 'tone it down', when they really mean nothing more than, 'shut the hell up'. Again, I'm not saying that that's what you were doing or are saying. I'm saying it's a very common pattern that makes us suspicious of 'tone trolling'.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nialler wrote:I'm going to

Nialler wrote:

I'm going to post for the first time in a very long time.

The Rook Hawkins/Thomas Verenna story has interested me for some time.

He has travelled quite a road from doctrinaire dogmatism to a more reasoned and more reasoned approach. In past times I was very very critical of his pseudo-intellectual posturings. He spoke from a position of absolute and determined evangelical certainty. Worse still,, he adopted a style of flowery high-brow and nonsensical prose with which he cloaked his lack of credentials and knowledge of the area in which he claimed expertise. I castigated him for this on very many occasions.

Ummmm... yeah. I'm still very much at a loss for why credentials and, more over, academic achievements strikes so many people as vital to the substance of a person's claims. In truth, they have very little effect on the veracity of another person's statements.

Higher-level education, namely that which comes from 4-year universities achieves a few important things. It grants some of the most hard-to-reach options of career path, and ensures that people who graduate from it have a mind that works. What it does not automatically do is lend expertise, or validity to one's claims. "Look at me, I'm a Ph.D in Economics, and I know practically fuck all just like everyone else!" (Chalk it up to the extreme level of chaos/mathematical complexity in economics, to which few fields of study can compare)

As for why he stayed away from the various college campuses scattered around the globe, it appears he isn't the most socially apt amongst us, with his difficulties in mingling with others rivaling my own. At the same time, he is incredibly more studious and organized than anyone I've ever met, so the decision to have avoided a college campus for so long does strike me as somewhat surprising. Regarding his "pseudo-intellectual posturings", I couldn't particularly comment aside from him lashing out at ignorant passersby that inevitably stop by the forums from time to time.

Quote:
I was - and remain - a critic of what the RRS once were.

It should be pointed out that most of what "RRS once was" happened during and just after a time period of heavy theocratic activity in US politics (and to a lesser extent, Germany with it's Christian Democratic Union.) So, I think the high temperatures coming out of RRS members' comments reflect that particular threat to civilization more than anything else.

Oh, you and me both. I can't say I ever stood behind mythicism, because (as I've said previously) absence of evidence, is not evidence of anything except a lack of evidence. Certainly, having a story finally written down three centuries after the event in question actually happened leaves plenty of room for doubt and 'tall tales' being added to the original story in that time, but that's all it does. It doesn't confer knowledge, and I'm not going to give up my skepticism simply because someone thinks it looks dubious. Aggressive atheism, on the other hand, is all well and good until you begin to turn your opposition into martyrs, or come across as a 'dogmatic (rabid) atheist' but I still think there will be a niche for it as long as there is intellectual fraud/snake oil being peddled in the world.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:As for

natural wrote:
As for moderating tone vs. message: I'm very skeptical of people telling atheists to moderate their tone. If you're not familiar with the recent Gnu Atheist activity, you might be interested to become familiar with it (google, e.g.) to understand why I and others feel this way. There is a persistent pattern of people (even other atheists) telling outspoken atheists to 'tone it down', when they really mean nothing more than, 'shut the hell up'. Again, I'm not saying that that's what you were doing or are saying. I'm saying it's a very common pattern that makes us suspicious of 'tone trolling'.

Question; have you even bothered to read your own post to yourself? If a person is an "outspoken atheist", then clearly it's necessary that they tone it down before they deteriorate their own credibility and the credibility and image of like-minded atheists, regardless if someone else is "tone trolling".

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you commenting on what I

Are you commenting on what I wrote, or on what I was replying to?

If it was on what I wrote, I don't understand what you're getting at. Please clarify.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Are you

natural wrote:

Are you commenting on what I wrote, or on what I was replying to?

If it was on what I wrote, I don't understand what you're getting at. Please clarify.

If an atheist is truly "outspoken", and said atheist wants to win a few hearts and minds towards the cause of secularism, pro-science views, etc... then they should consider becoming less outspoken. It's possible we define "outspoken" differently. I define it as having crossed a few important lines in one's speech -to have gone to some excess or another in expressing their views. A few people might react positively to someone being outspoken about one cause or another. However, unless it's neoliberalism vs conservatism (as I understand it, most political arenas in North America have a sharp ideological divide), the reaction will mostly be negative. "That guy's so damned annoying", "Please, shut up already", "Who cares what that person thinks", and  my favorite "Just ignore them" are just some of the potential reactions one might expect to being thought of as "outspoken".

Again, every crowd is different (as Bobspence1 pointed out), but keeping in mind the one exception I gave (politics), many will lose interest in an idea or point of view expressed too abrasively.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, you are using a meaning

Yes, you are using a meaning of outspoken that does not match any I've come across: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outspoken

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
On topic. . .

Getting back to the original topic, I think a lot of people still lurk. At least I lurk. As far as posting goes it's more a matter of whether I think anything new can be said on a topic, so that pretty much limits me to the science section. I think ya'll have the whole anti-theism thing pretty well covered.

Mostly I'm busy doing research and studying, though.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:It should be

Kapkao wrote:

It should be pointed out that most of what "RRS once was" happened during and just after a time period of heavy theocratic activity in US politics (and to a lesser extent, Germany with it's Christian Democratic Union.) So, I think the high temperatures coming out of RRS members' comments reflect that particular threat to civilization more than anything else. 

We have a winner!

Nialler
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Kapkao

Sapient wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

We have a winner!

Possibly in your view we have, but debates don't typically result in *a* winner. The hope is that there will be multiple winners.

Your view here is to say the least simplistic.

Theism has never ever threatened to destroy civilisation; indeed, there is a very good case to be made that theism augmented the drive towards civilsed norms by using its resources to develop society through investment in arts, science (yes!), architecture, literature and various of the other contributions to a modern society. Yes, many of these things were funded by churches for their own vainglory, but to throw out these achievments id to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The temperature has not been any higher of late than it has ever been; indeed, it is rather lower in the last decade than it has ever been. Do you ignore the twentieth century entirely in your analysis? The US is a very liberal country in case you haven't noticed. Divorce, abortionsame-sex marriage available (in some states); a liberal country indeed.

Don't conflate debate about these issues with signs of a thesit conspiracy.

But religion in general as a "threat to civilization"? Don't make me laugh. Some fanatics in some religions may wish to destroy or modify Western civilisation, but to extend that to all members of all religions is to portray yourself as exactly the type of doctrinaire dogmatist that is typical of, well, the most rabid theists.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Nialler wrote:Sapient

Nialler wrote:

Sapient wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

We have a winner!

Possibly in your view we have, but debates don't typically result in *a* winner. The hope is that there will be multiple winners.

Theism has never ever threatened to destroy civilisation; indeed, there is a very good case to be made that theism augmented the drive towards civilsed norms by using its resources to develop society through investment in arts, science (yes!), architecture, literature and various of the other contributions to a modern society. Yes, many of these things were funded by churches for their own vainglory, but to throw out these achievments id to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The temperature has not been any higher of late than it has ever been; indeed, it is rather lower in the last decade than it has ever been. Do you ignore the twentieth century entirely in your analysis? The US is a very liberal country in case you haven't noticed. Divorce, abortionsame-sex marriage available (in some states); a liberal country indeed.

But religion in general as a "threat to civilization"? Don't make me laugh. Some fanatics in some religions may wish to destroy or modify Western civilisation, but to extend that to all members of all religions is to portray yourself as exactly the type of doctrinaire dogmatist that is typical of, well, the most rabid theists.

Nialler, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't live in the US. If you did, you would never mistake this country for a liberal one.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whatever 'bump' Xianity may

Whatever 'bump' Xianity may have given what passed for science at the beginning, as demonstrating the 'Glory of God's creation', religion arguably held back the progress of knowledge and more liberal thought and practice for a millennium.

As soon as the honest pursuit of knowledge started to come up with things that didn't fit the doctrines so well, both Christianity and Islam went a bit cold on it.

So yeah, if it gets more control again, it could be a much bigger threat in this more complex world...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to be more active,

I used to be more active, and I came back, and now I'm only sort-of active.

Part of this is that I browse on my phone more due to being away from home more often, and this forum isn't iPhone compatible. Part of it is the Jesus Mythicism thing. I mean, I'm a Jesus Mythicist in the same way I'm a Chuck Norris Mythicist: I think the Biblical Jesus of the gospels is as real as the Chuck Norris Facts Chuck Norris, but I've no reason to believe there wasn't a Yeshua the Jesus of the gospels was based on, any more than I have reason to believe there is no Chuck Norris. I think it's a silly idea that makes atheists look bad. But we need a community (at least until religion loses a bit more ground) and this place is as good as any.

I have to agree, banning Mattschizzle is a big part of the reason I came back. That dude was bad news, man...I couldn't be in a community with someone like him.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Yes, you are

natural wrote:

Yes, you are using a meaning of outspoken that does not match any I've come across: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outspoken

Ok, cool.

Sapient wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

We have a winner!

Nice.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:If an atheist

Kapkao wrote:

If an atheist is truly "outspoken", and said atheist wants to win a few hearts and minds towards the cause of secularism, pro-science views, etc... then they should consider becoming less outspoken. It's possible we define "outspoken" differently. I define it as having crossed a few important lines in one's speech -to have gone to some excess or another in expressing their views. A few people might react positively to someone being outspoken about one cause or another. However, unless it's neoliberalism vs conservatism (as I understand it, most political arenas in North America have a sharp ideological divide), the reaction will mostly be negative. "That guy's so damned annoying", "Please, shut up already", "Who cares what that person thinks", and  my favorite "Just ignore them" are just some of the potential reactions one might expect to being thought of as "outspoken".

That never stopped theism, and look what pile of nonsensical horseshit they've been able to get billions to submit to like trained seals...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Kapkao wrote:If

redneF wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

That never stopped theism, and look what pile of nonsensical horseshit they've been able to get billions to submit to like trained seals...

Alright, I'll bite.

So... Christianity got its current 2 billion following from rubbing everyone the wrong way -making everyone else a martyr? What about the crusades, Spanish Inquisition and Black Legend, the cathars... did that add significantly to their number? What about nonviolent assholes like the Phelps clan, Billy Grahams, David Barton, or WLC? Have they gotten their own millions of followers from their aggressive tactics? Billy Graham might have at one (more physically able) time, but did he do so from aggressive tactics?

Nialler
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Nialler

jcgadfly wrote:

Nialler wrote:

Sapient wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

We have a winner!

Nialler, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't live in the US. If you did, you would never mistake this country for a liberal one.

Of course I don't live in the US.

But you have abortion available in the US and you have divorce available too. You have free-at-point-delivery healthcare coming in as well. And same-sex marriage is available too. The greater part of you people have voted for that. Believe me. The US is a liberal country. You lot are almost communist!