Black Screen

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Black Screen

Hi, I was wondering if anybody here ever had a problem with 'YouTube' ? every time that I either open a email that has a youtube video attached to the it, or if I choose to watch a video from my favorites it shows only a black screen, no sound or visual, I gotta take this laptop to the computer store (probably this week), but I was wondering if anybody had any advise for now ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hey there Ken, your

Hey there Ken, your description does not provide enough to nail this one down. A few things to try and get back to us on:

Can you open youtube videos the normal way?

Can you open a favorited video normally from a different browser?

Can you open videos from another website that uses the same technology (funnyordie.com for example)?

How much space is free on your hard drive? How much total space is on your hard drive?

There could be other things to look at here but that is at least a good start.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
If your computer's blocking

If your computer's blocking YT embedded inside emails, it could be an anti-spam or anti-phishing thing in your email program or your web-mail provider. I use Thunderbird and it doesn't show YT videos (black screen) unless you explicitly click something to accept.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:If your

natural wrote:

If your computer's blocking YT embedded inside emails, it could be an anti-spam or anti-phishing thing in your email program or your web-mail provider. I use Thunderbird and it doesn't show YT videos (black screen) unless you explicitly click something to accept.

This is also true in Outlook and in Outlook Express.  If you are using Outlook Express -

On the menu bar, click Tools, Options.  If you don't see it, click the down arrow to view the entire menu.  (I hate personalized menus and I turned them off.)  In the options window, select Security.  In the middle, is "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail."  Un-check that box.  It may look a little different if you have a newer version of Outlook Express than I do.

If you are using a different email client, let us know.  Most of them have some security settings nowadays.  Also, if you get your mail on line - like Yahoo or gmail or somewhere - they too, have security settings though usually not as strict as an email program that downloads email and stores it on your hard drive.

More information and you will have too much help very shortly. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene... wrote: How much space is on your hard drive

What is a hard drive ? Well to the 1st question - No - they don't open normally, (2) Well I can open videos on 'YouTube' using Google Chrome, but, when I leave Windows 7  Explorer, there is no tool bar, no favorites, nothing ? except Google Chrome with my Yahoo mail page ? No Google Search etc. (3) When I use Windows 7 I can't open YouTube videos, on say RRS or any other web sites, it only works with Google Chrome. (4) I know absolutely nothing about 'Hard Drives', I'm computer illiterate, I'm signing up for computer classes at the library ASAP !

Signature ? How ?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote: I'm signing

Ken G. wrote:

I'm signing up for computer classes at the library ASAP !

I think that is your best bet.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: I think that is your best bet.

Wow ! What a surprise, 'YouTube' is working today ? Something happened when it was shut down last night ? Great ! You do realize just how attached to a machine your are, for me I really dig YouTube, it sucked being without it, even for a day.

Signature ? How ?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote: Wow ! What a

Ken G. wrote:

Wow ! What a surprise, 'YouTube' is working today ? Something happened when it was shut down last night ? Great ! You do realize just how attached to a machine your are, for me I really dig YouTube, it sucked being without it, even for a day.

You could probably benefit from a Mac.  I personally dislike them but my wife has bought a Mac Air two years ago and I have only had to fix minor things.  You can get an off lease used mac laptop for about 500 bux that will do all the web browsing and emailing if price is an issue.  If I had my choice, everyone that's not technically inclined in my company would be given a mac.  It would save a lot of hassle and practically eliminate the IT department.  And every time you run Chrome on a mac Steve Jobs gets a new hemorrhoid.  That makes me smile Smiling

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc