The God Delusion, Data

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
The God Delusion, Data

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, but I didn't see one that seemed more likely.  Here goes.

In The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins presented data from one or more studies on the correlation between religious belief and various societal health indicators (such as violence, teenage pregnancy, etc.)  I'm having trouble locating my copy of the book to find out more about this study/these studies, and Google is just turning up sales figures when I search for data from the book.  Does anyone know what study or studies were being referenced, or where I might be able to find out?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a standard article

There is a standard article on this by Gregory S Paul, published in the Journal of Religion and Society.

The original article is http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

This article was also discussed elsewhere - here is a good start:

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/religious-belief-and-societal-health/

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent!  Thank you, Bob.

Excellent!  Thank you, Bob.

Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Kavis wrote:I'm not sure if

Kavis wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, but I didn't see one that seemed more likely.  Here goes.

In The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins presented data from one or more studies on the correlation between religious belief and various societal health indicators (such as violence, teenage pregnancy, etc.)  I'm having trouble locating my copy of the book to find out more about this study/these studies, and Google is just turning up sales figures when I search for data from the book.  Does anyone know what study or studies were being referenced, or where I might be able to find out?

I heard that there are studies correlating atheism and stupidity.

I could probably use this website as a baseline.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:Kavis

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Kavis wrote:

Because you're allowed to post on it?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:I heard

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

So, what was the point of this post?

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_M,There certainly are

Mr_M,

There certainly are studies correlating atheism with high accomplishment and status in science, which certainly requires intelligence, and also studies correlating less-religious societies with higher indexes of social well-being and lower crime-levels than similarly 'advanced' nations and societies with higher indices of religious observance.

The now well-known study by Gregory S Paul showed negative correlation between positive social measures and levels of religious observance.

So you may have mis-heard, or perhaps just wishful thinking, ie, you would like to believe that.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology