Am I going to hell?

EternalDamnation
User is offlineOffline
Am I going to hell?

Here's what I find irrational.

I deny the existence of the "holy spirit".  According to the Bible, this means that I'm eternally damned to hell.

God is supposed to be omnibenevolent.  Why would a being of unlimited and infinite goodness condemn me to eternal suffering for the simple act of disbelieving he exists?  Is that not inconsistent with omnibenevolence?

Furthermore, apparently I'm eternally damned for not believing in the god(s) of the Hebrew or Islamic faiths (yeah, I realize, same God, different scriptures), or any of the various monotheistic or polytheistic religions who have a concept of hell.

If I follow one faith, apparently, I'm screwed by the others.  I find this to be wholly irrational and unreasonable.

I realize that the theists are going to respond saying that their faith is the one true way, and that all of the other guys are damned, too.  I find that irrational as well.

I suppose the point is moot anyway, since by my own admission, I'm going to hell.  Apparently.  Or maybe not, as I believe that the rational position is that it's all a bunch of hokum to begin with.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course it's entirely

Of course it's entirely irrational.

The whole concept of "Even though I'm absent, I'll torture you for eternity if you don't assume I exist, and worship me..."

I mean....WTF??

I notice a disturbing willingness and desire from theists, to be dominated and under threat of punishment.

That's totally fucked up...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, but, you see, that's

Yeah, but, you see, that's because you have the internet. People used to talk only to their own people, and so it's easy to be bigoted. Nowadays, everybody can talk to everybody, and all the hate-religions get spanked for being mean to the other people of the world. So I hope that in a couple of years only the Asian religions are around, because they much nicer. And it seems people there are allowed all sorts of drugs ("W00t, I'm using my spiritual body to swim in an ocean of pure emotion!&quotEye-wink.

But, you see, a religion that doesn't force believe doesn't survive for long, because if you don't get a bonus for believing, why bother at all? The greatest need of the religions is also their greatest flaw: Why does God think believe is so important? Because the religion needs believe. That is the only answer. And an easy one at that. Much easier than all the bullshit you hear from apologists.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which hell do you mean

Damnation? There are so many and they multiply every day. So far as I know there are between 30,000 and 40,000 christian denominations in the world and as the strength of the organised churches wanes, the numbers continue to grow as worship becomes more culturally localised (and more manipulated by church leaders for their own ends). 

You would not have to go far to find a christian who believed you were not going to hell at all but instead would lay back on bed of soft grass by a trickling rill as dark eyed houris scampered all about you wearing white cotton frocks. Or was that islam? So confusing. In any case, I deny the Wholly Spirit, too. And jesus and and all the rest of the tottering dribble that constitutes religion anywhere in the world. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
No you are not going to

No you are not going to hell, theists will come up with a way to interpret it so that you can still be forgiven, they always have. They couldn't stand the thought that a kid could deny the "holy spirit" and be damned to a fiery hell for eternity because of their god so they will make a loophole. Well Jean wont.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

EternalDamnation
User is offlineOffline
In case anyone was mislead,

In case anyone was mislead, "Am I going to hell?" was a rhetorical question.  Of course I'm not.

I'm going to hell.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 xian: You are going to

xian: You are going to hell cuz you are not right with Jeebus

atheist: Judge that ye be not judge

xian: I ain't judging you the bible is.

atheist: Such fucking BS. Be a man stop hiding behind momma's skirt.

Shear lunacy.  I like it when they say I am going to hell. It tells me I am the sane one.

I prefer to deny the Holy Ghost - spooky language. 

I deny the holy ghost

does he need to wear a sheet so you can see him?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: xian: I

ex-minister wrote:

But they believe the bible is correct and follow it so if the bible is judging ... they are not judging? What are they hiding behind?

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:ex-minister

robj101 wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

But they believe the bible is correct and follow it so if the bible is judging ... they are not judging? What are they hiding behind?

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have yet to hear/read any

I have yet to hear/read any rational answer to the contradictions of the omni- attributes of claimed god.

It is a morally repugnant concept. It is willful subjugation via ignorance.

This "god" is not a diplomat or arbitrator. He is a dictator. He cannot be voted out of office or impeached and has no term limit. He is not elected.  And even the mere transgression of not wanting to hang out with him is cause for eternal torture.

It never ceases to amaze me the ways people will twist this and swallow it and dress it up in order to ignore the obvious.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course it's morally

Of course it's morally repugnant to believe anyone gets tortured for eternity, unless they didn't believe what I do [/christian impression]

Anyway, Matt Dillahunty spoke on this, and it was great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDpZxpBSfcc

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well just remember that

Well just remember that none of its true. Don't lose any sleep over this please. 

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus knew his message was

Jesus knew his message was bullshit so he had to resort to threats. It is irrational. There is next to nothing in the bible that honors the human brain. Don't think and you go to heaven. Streets of gold for the christian and virgins for the muslim. Straight carrot and stick mentality.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus knew his message was

Jesus knew his message was bullshit so he had to resort to threats. It is irrational. There is next to nothing in the bible that honors the human brain. Don't think and you go to heaven. Streets of gold for the christian and virgins for the muslim. Straight carrot and stick mentality.

Religion Kills !!!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:ex-minister

robj101 wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Hey robj101

Sorry I missed your question before. I see this behavior as a bail on saying they are the ones not judging when clearly they are the ones judging. Who made them my judge? Can I see their paperwork specifically naming them as the vicar of christ.  Even Jesus said Don't judge. The bible says humans are stupid and don't know the mind of god (i.e. he is irrational to our brain). So, where do they get off speaking for this god and then pretend they are not speaking for him? They are the ones judging me. I didn't hear any voice from heaven or see any reason for their authorization to condemn me. He who is without sin cast the first stone. Too many things in the bible should clearly tell them they are not in charge. But no, they use it as a hammer on people who do not believe like them.

Religion Kills !!!