My friend just blew my mind with the level of ignorance displayed...

Alaskan Atheist
Alaskan Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
My friend just blew my mind with the level of ignorance displayed...

Not sure if this is where it should go, but seeing as how it involves science, I'll post it here, and mods can move it if they deem neccessary!

Anyway, I was talking to my friend and we got into the science/religion debate and he said, and I quote verbatim:

"The more and more science uncovers the mysteries of the Universe and the inner-workings of the Universe, the more and more science itself points towards a creator of the Universe."

I was speechless... I didn't know what to say. I just sat there dazed for a few minutes at what he just said. If Richard Dawkins heard that, $%^& would hit the fan (in eloquence, though).

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to known." - Carl Sagan

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." – George Carlin

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." – Richard Dawkins

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Alaskan Atheist wrote:Not

Alaskan Atheist wrote:

Not sure if this is where it should go, but seeing as how it involves science, I'll post it here, and mods can move it if they deem neccessary!

Anyway, I was talking to my friend and we got into the science/religion debate and he said, and I quote verbatim:

"The more and more science uncovers the mysteries of the Universe and the inner-workings of the Universe, the more and more science itself points towards a creator of the Universe."

I was speechless... I didn't know what to say. I just sat there dazed for a few minutes at what he just said. If Richard Dawkins heard that, $%^& would hit the fan (in eloquence, though).

What he suffers from is what alot of believers suffer from. He selectively focus's on the "pretty" which gives him a sense of awe, but ignores the nasty side of reality.

There are a couple of issues with this fallacy he is trapped in.

1. Is he willing to attribute the nasty things in life, like childhood cancer, ecoli? If he thinks everything is pretty tell him to take a space shuttle ride and take a space walk and take his helmet off.

2. The fallacy that order must mean a god exists. He knows NOTHING about science and that nature is BOTH random and order, not either/or.

3.Efficiency is another problem when postulating a god as a source. If this god is efficient then why do most attempts at biological life FAIL? Think about all the humans live today, 7. billion. BUT, what he fails to consider are the amount of sperm, millions per load, and the fact that only one sperm makes it to the egg. The rest of the man's life they emit their sperm in their urine, or in non vaginal sex. The same can be said for acorns from trees. Only a few will seed but the rest rot on the ground or become food for other animals. If god were perfect and efficient one would expect to see a one to one ratio, not the lopsided enormous input vs pathetically low output.

Also cockroaches outnumber humans AND eagles have better eyesight. AND why are we on this tiny dot we cant get off of? Couldn't this god made it so we could expand beyond our own planet relatively easy?

Does he realize or know in the future OUR OWN SUN will expand and fry the planet, AND the likelihood that we will even get to that point is pretty slim considering what has happened to our planet in it's history. Like climate chainging and meteors hitting it. Does he know that it was a fire ball and and ice ball and a ball of water?

He is merely looking at the pretty and ignoring the nasty side of nature and the cosmos.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Again??

Alaskan Atheist wrote:

Another analytical ignoramouse posted the same irresponsible BS ;check out the responses.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29659

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Alaskan Atheist
Alaskan Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Alaskan

Jeffrick wrote:

Alaskan Atheist wrote:

Another analytical ignoramouse posted the same irresponsible BS ;check out the responses.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29659

Oops, didn't even see that! Thanks.

My friend mentioned the Cambrian Explosion as well!! Argh. God of the gaps, eh?

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to known." - Carl Sagan

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." – George Carlin

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." – Richard Dawkins

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've seen this over a

I've seen this over a billion times....

Pretty much any theist, other than deist/pantheist types, that thinks they respect science will assert that science is supporting the existence of a god more with every new discovery and theory. Especially physics; they like physics for some reason. Maybe they're projecting onto physics because it feels like the most rigorous field, lol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alaskan Atheist wrote:My

Alaskan Atheist wrote:
My friend mentioned the Cambrian Explosion as well!!

Hah. That argument is like an epitome of ignorance. You only have to ask them how long the Cambrian Explosion was. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alaskan Atheist wrote:Not

Alaskan Atheist wrote:

I would have asked him why God made acne...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris