Hawking and Black Hole Theology

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hawking and Black Hole Theology

I have yet to read anyone making an issue of a theologian's opion on general relativity in general much less black holes. Yet Hawking has been cited several times on his opinion of god and religion and apparently lately on some undefined heaven.

He apparently is being quoted as calling it a fairly tale which is a very unscientific statement. No evidence of a heaven is scientific. No definition of a christian heaven is a scientific statement.

And it gets worse. Fairytale has a literary meaning. Calling heaven a fairytale is the colloquial meaning. Hawking has to know he used the fluid colloquial meaning. Fluid in that anything can be called a fairytale without regard to the literary definition and all the examples in books of fairytales.

I have no idea what he really said but if there is any source that redeems him as less than a looney outside physics and if someone finds it please post it.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fairytale?????

A mother was serving breakfest to her little boy one morning when she heard, yet again, her sons complaints;

"I done  wanna go to school".

"You have to go to school my son, it's the law".

"But mommy,  all the kids hate me, I know they do".

"No no my prescious one, the children do not realy hate you, honest".

"But all the teachers hate me, I'm not lying, they realy hate me".

"No no no my first and only son, the teachers do not "REALY" hate anyone. They just have a job to do. Do not worry my precious".

"Even the cooks and janitors hate my guts!!!!!!!!!!"         "HONEST!!!!!!"

With that, mommy dearest lost it, big time! She slams down her spatula and screems at  her beloved so. "Look you mangy bastard, your the principle and your going to school!!!!!!!"

Does anyone else have a weird fairytale about a school teacher?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theology is based on

Theology is based on 'fairy-tales', which are closely related to myths. It is not a serious discipline, since 'God' is not a seriously justifiable concept outside the world of myth and allegory. You will get more useful information out of a black hole than from a theologian, unless you are studying pathological modes of thought.

Hawking is clearly applying the term to validly and metaphorically describe something which has no right to be taken seriously, has no evidence pointing to it as a reality, so I am perfectly cool with what he is saying.

A scientist such as Hawking is quite qualified to treat mockingly anything which is so against logic and empirical reality, and originally posited as part of reality, but so clearly a product of the primitive imagination. The appropriate sciences, if you wanted to take it further, would be psychology and neuroscience, so you may have a point if you want to push it, he could use some assistance from some other disciplines.

The OP was intended as a joke/satire, right?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Theology is

BobSpence1 wrote:

Theology is based on 'fairy-tales', which are closely related to myths. It is not a serious discipline, since 'God' is not a seriously justifiable concept outside the world of myth and allegory. You will get more useful information out of a black hole than from a theologian, unless you are studying pathological modes of thought.

Hawking is clearly applying the term to validly and metaphorically describe something which has no right to be taken seriously, has no evidence pointing to it as a reality, so I am perfectly cool with what he is saying.

A scientist such as Hawking is quite qualified to treat mockingly anything which is so against logic and empirical reality, and originally posited as part of reality, but so clearly a product of the primitive imagination. The appropriate sciences, if you wanted to take it further, would be psychology and neuroscience, so you may have a point if you want to push it, he could use some assistance from some other disciplines.

The OP was intended as a joke/satire, right?

The OP was intended seriously because I have read him being quoted with those words. It may be a false attribution but if not then it needs be addressed. I state the fairytale as a well defined form and heaven is not in the form of a fairytale.

Scientists are oddly honest in saying they are not qualified to comment upon other fields of even their same science, e.g. physics, if outside their specialty which in this example is cosmology. I find it difficult to conceive he would comment upon pharmacology. But his opinion that heaven is a literary form of fairytale when it is not that literary form? Even Nobel laureate in Literature knows better and they generally know nothing of interest.

I find myself in perhaps the most antagonistic to Indo-European-Egyptian religious traditions almost impossible to find ways of expressing it is all BS while talking about it.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml