Hillsong Church offshoot offers supernatural course that can 'cure cancer'

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hillsong Church offshoot offers supernatural course that can 'cure cancer'

Jesus Christ on a cross

An evangelical church says its "supernatural" course will give people the power to perform miracles like curing cancer.

AN evangelical offshoot of Hillsong Church has opened a "School of the Supernatural" offering a course it reportedly says teaches the power to cure cancer, help women conceive and bring the dead back to life.  

Seventy people have already enrolled in the six-month course on how to perform miracles and run by the Westlife Church in outer Brisbane, The Queensland Times reports.

The course is based on the teachings of the US-based Bethel evangelical church and its controversial leader Bill Johnson who speaks to students through a series of DVDs.

Westlife Church manager Yvonne Baker told The Queensland Times that several "miracles" had already been performed at the church and there were high hopes the teachings of the School of Supernatural Evangelism would contribute more.

The church’s website states: “Supernatural schools are designed to equip students to 'live and do' in the supernatural through biblical teaching and practical application - to see God's kingdom manifested on earth.

"This is an environment where people can take risks in learning to operate in the supernatural without fear of rejection or failure."

The site makes no mention of the cost of the course and no further comment was immediately available.

The church is based near Ipswich, hit hard by the devastating Queensland floods earlier this year. It describes Hillsong as its "mother church" in the church newsletter.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hillsong

is Australia's largest charismatic congregation with thousands of members, multiple churches and many offshoots. It's pleasing to see this push into the realms of the empirical by Hillsong. I look forward to detailed information outlining the successful healing of sick people through supernatural intervention some time soon. Sarcasm aside, it's obvious the desperate, wounded people these mongrels prey on.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Honesty of a sort

Atheistextremist wrote:

is Australia's largest charismatic congregation with thousands of members, multiple churches and many offshoots. It's pleasing to see this push into the realms of the empirical by Hillsong. I look forward to detailed information outlining the successful healing of sick people through supernatural intervention some time soon. Sarcasm aside, it's obvious the desperate, wounded people these mongrels prey on.

Their site states:

"Westlife’s mission and vision is contained in one simple statement: Making God Real!"

So, they admit there is no God, but are on a mission to build one.

They've already stopped the floods, so they're doing well so far...

Troy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
 Hillsong Church is not

Hillsong Church is not associated with this thing. Do your research, http://hillsong.com/hillsong-church-is-not-associated-with-the-school-of-the-supernatural

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Troy wrote: Hillsong Church

Troy wrote:

Hillsong Church is not associated with this thing. Do your research, http://hillsong.com/hillsong-church-is-not-associated-with-the-school-of-the-supernatural

Ever hear of something called "plausible deniability"?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mmmmmm

Troy wrote:

Plenty of commentators in Australia believe there is a connection. In any case, let me put it this way. A large charismatic pentecostal church in Brisbane called Westlife whose founders count a large charismatic pentecostal church in Sydney callled Hillsong as their spiritual sibling and inspiration, claim that can cure cancer via their school of the supernatural. All better now? 

Anyway you others, check this nutty link...pay special attention to the section titled curriculum...

http://www.westlifechurch.org.au/ministries/school-of-the-supernatural

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you have to say for

What do you have to say for yourself Bob Spence? You rip off our constitution. Your animals have pouches and you pee upside down. And now this. Tisk tisk tisk.

Is your country trying to compete with America in being the most religiously nutty? Sorry, Merka's always going to beat you on that issue.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's America behind this in

It's America behind this in the first place. Trying to spread the crazy. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hey

Brian37 wrote:

What do you have to say for yourself Bob Spence? You rip off our constitution. Your animals have pouches and you pee upside down. And now this. Tisk tisk tisk.

Is your country trying to compete with America in being the most religiously nutty? Sorry, Merka's always going to beat you on that issue.

B37 you know our love of the queen is the big stuff. We are at least as crazy as you when it comes to religious nutbugs and not just that mate but those bloody kiwis are mad as hatters upside down tho we may be....

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
PT Barnum would be proud.

PT Barnum would be proud.

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: is

Atheistextremist wrote:

I wonder how many parents will let their kids die from cancer by taking them off of medical therapy and trying to "cure" them with magic. Since this is in Australia, I wish they'd just ban it - in the US the 1st Amendment would get in the way, but since freedom of speech isn't as tolerated abroad, why not take advantage of that and outlaw these scammers?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical