who gives a shit?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
who gives a shit?

seriously, what the fuck are we all doin' here?  goddammit...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:  seriously,

iwbiek wrote:

I'm here because I'm right and I want everybody to know it

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
  everybody's right about

everybody's right about everything, because everybody's stupid.  if we're all fuckin' stupid, we're all equally fuckin' stupid.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
How much alcohol have you

How much alcohol have you been drinking  in the last hour?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 goddammit, bob, why do you

goddammit, bob, why do you also have to always be right about everything?  fuck, give me one wrong person, and i'll become his or her disciple.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:How much

BobSpence1 wrote:

LOL my thoughts exactly

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

LOL my thoughts exactly

well, somebody has to show this site what a REAL drunk looks like...

--Hunter S. Thompson

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE: Why are we here?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Hehe, well, with a little

Hehe, well, with a little luck, we won't be here much longer, is it 6PM eastern that the world is ending? it's 5:25PM now, just give it 35 more freaking minutes.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: Hehe, well,

Ktulu wrote:

Hehe, well, with a little luck, we won't be here much longer, is it 6PM eastern that the world is ending? it's 5:25PM now, just give it 35 more freaking minutes.

sweet jesus!  i finally have an excuse to open up that jack daniels single barrel!

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Give me a bag of good weed

Give me a bag of good weed any day....

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
At the very least

iwbiek wrote:

we are bolstering each other's confirmation biases. That has to count for something...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

we are bolstering each other's confirmation biases. That has to count for something...

I think in debate and discussion you find the weakness of your beliefs, idea, thoughts and theories.  If you don't then you simply show everybody you are right and get an ego boost.   Perhaps it is to understand reality, fact and truth better.  Or maybe it is just fun to fuck around.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Totally agree, TG.

TGBaker wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I think in debate and discussion you find the weakness of your beliefs, idea, thoughts and theories.  If you don't then you simply show everybody you are right and get an ego boost.   Perhaps it is to understand reality, fact and truth better.  Or maybe it is just fun to fuck around.

I just have to take the piss out of it all sometimes...it's an affliction...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Pretty

zarathustra wrote:

Pretty much the definitive answer. I quit rolling the bones.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: goddammit,

iwbiek wrote:
goddammit, bob, why do you also have to always be right about everything?

It takes a great deal of insight to come to that conclusion? I doubt it.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
-

-

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why does anyone do anything?

Why does anyone do anything? Because otherwise we'd be bored. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
HI OPY

Hi OPY,

A consistent atheist is best demonstrated via the empirical observation of a drunkard evil bastard of a communist.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should do standup.

You should do standup. Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi OPY,A

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi OPY,

A consistent atheist is best demonstrated via the empirical observation of a drunkard evil bastard of a communist.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

keep it up, john-john, and i'll put all my threads in freethinking anonymous.

--Hunter S. Thompson

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You should do

Vastet wrote:
You should do standup. :D

But only if it meets his 5 rule criterion.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
My reasons

A big part of the reason I came originally here was to test whether my mind still worked properly on the subject of religion, as I hadn't had to think about it much for years.

Also, I had a fair bit of spare time back then.

When I found that my mind did seem to be working properly, the urge to visit was diminished.

I had to write a letter to the editor recently about religion, so decided to come back here and brush up on a few facts.

The missus thinks I am wasting my time arguing about and studying religion, but I can't help it. It is useful to know more about how the world works.

Anyway, there are some quite interesting and sometimes educational discussions here.

And comedy. Jean Chauvin can be quite funny and there was that Billy Bob the Baptist Bruiser (or whatever his name was) character too.