All the bleeding hearts should own one of those

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
All the bleeding hearts should own one of those

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/fog-harvesting-0421.html

Out of thick air

MIT graduate student is working to make water available for the world’s poor by refining the tools and techniques of fog harvesting.

If enough of these are sold in the West, it will bring the manufacturing costs down, making them available for the third world.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I'm dense but I don't

Maybe I'm dense but I don't get your point.  Is your topic title intended to be sarcastic?  I think it is a pretty cool idea, though there may be less expensive ways of harvesting fog - or dew.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Can it be used to water

Can it be used to water plants?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Maybe I'm dense but

cj wrote:

Maybe I'm dense but I don't get your point.  Is your topic title intended to be sarcastic?  I think it is a pretty cool idea, though there may be less expensive ways of harvesting fog - or dew.

Not at all, I mean that, lol.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote: Can it be

RatDog wrote:

Can it be used to water plants?

I don't see why not, it's drinkable water, I think it's a very cool idea.  Fresh water is one of the major problems facing our future.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I can see how that would

I can see how that would be very useful as part of a survival kit. If you could make one small enough, but still effective to provide water for one or two people I imagine you could do decent business among hunters in dry climates. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

KillerCroc
KillerCroc's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a tool mean't for a

That's a tool mean't for a desert kit.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
So why would this work and a

So why would this work and a piece of canvas bag, tent, or fine wire mesh not work for "fog harvesting"?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:So why would

Kapkao wrote:

So why would this work and a piece of canvas bag, tent, or fine wire mesh not work for "fog harvesting"?

I'm guessing that would work also, just not as efficiently.  

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
KillerCroc wrote:That's a

KillerCroc wrote:

The perfect thing for those foggy, humid desert mornings... It could work on the moon too... I think the idea is to provide DRINKABLE water, not to produce water out of thin air.  You need humidity in the air to have fog.

Edit: mistype

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Kapkao wrote:So

Ktulu wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

I'm guessing that would work also, just not as efficiently.  

Your next quote, Ktulu is the answer to Kap's question.  Drinkable water.  Canvas bags, tents, wire mesh, and a slew other materials would collect water just fine.  But there are three problems I can think of.  The first one is cross contamination - just where has that canvas bag been and just what are you drinking from it?  Secondly, the canvas bag, tent, etc would also absorb some of the water collected and is there fore less efficient.  When you are talking the minuscule amount you are going to get, that bit soaked up by the canvas or even nylon is significant waste.  Maybe not as significant for the wire mesh -

There is also the size of the interstices in the material.  Water will collect best on a mesh of a certain size and certain gap shape due to the molecular size and shape of water molecules.  I don't know what that may be, but this material is most likely optimized for water so you aren't collecting the acid in acid rain for example as well as water.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:KillerCroc

Ktulu wrote:

KillerCroc wrote:

The perfect thing for those foggy, humid desert mornings... It could work on the moon too... I think the idea is to provide DRINKABLE water, not to produce water out of thin air.  You need humidity in the air to have fog.

Edit: mistype

There are techniques to get water in the desert. I would think that this product could be used in conjunction with a solar still, which is basically a sheet of plastic over a hole with a drinking container in the center. The plastic creates a greenhouse effect evaporation and water condenses on the plastic and if built properly, should run to the center of the plastic and into the drinking container. Best application of current techniques would get you up to a quart of water a day with a 6x6 still. This product might improve that. So if it is better at attracting water than plastic, it would be just the thing to include in your desert survival kit.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X