My best friend just converted to christianity

MorsCetraFideli...
User is offlineOffline
My best friend just converted to christianity

Well I am not sure what I am supposed to do at this juncture, I have spent a long time with her (We lived together for three years had a kid I came out as gay) and now I still like to call her my best friend. About a month ago I came out and now she has decided that she is a christian simply because her mother took her to church and then they got in a argument about her mom pressing her to be prayed for she apologized and went on Wednesday. Some gentleman took interest in her and told her that god really loves her blah blah blah and gave her what I could describe as the Mrs Cleo treatment of saying stuff like god tells me that you are going through a hard time he knows your stress and a significant amount of other generalized stuff that people feel every day. She is now a christian and I told her that I was sorry for not being there to help her feel happy without having to follow a delusion and that I am sad for her because I feel like she is committing intellectual and spiritual suicide. Well I feel like perhaps I am rambling but now what should I do? I feel like she has been preyed upon at her weakest moment and now she is joining a institution that I am blatantly against. Help me please.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
relax, dude.  these things

relax, dude.  these things happen.  it's my firm belief that nobody really gets duped into anything.  no reasonably competent adult does anything he or she doesn't want to do (unless physically forced to, that is).  she got into this on her own.  she will either get out on her own or not get out at all.  there are no magic words you can say.  give her your opinion once, as sensitively and unemotionally as you can, then let it be.  if she ever wants to follow it up, she will.

you can't be responsible for the whole world, and in some way this might actually help her.  i would never go back to being a christian, but i don't regret my years as one either.  they made me who i am today, and i like myself.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

MorsCetraFideli...
User is offlineOffline
A big part of my problem

A big part of my problem with it is that she has not only decided to support but rather to worship something that tells her that I am a abomination and should be killed (Leviticus 20:13) I mean I feel like if she were to come and tell me she decided to be a Nazi at least she isn't worshiping Hitler...

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Sounds like a hard

Sounds like a hard situation to deal with.  I don't really know what you should do.  The only advice I can think of is that maybe you should try telling her exactly how you feel about what is happening with her, and how you are afraid it might affect your relationship, but it sounds like you have already done that.  Whatever happens I hope things works out well for you, your ex and your child.  

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
MorsCetraFidelisIncerta

MorsCetraFidelisIncerta wrote:

A big part of my problem with it is that she has not only decided to support but rather to worship something that tells her that I am a abomination and should be killed (Leviticus 20:13) I mean I feel like if she were to come and tell me she decided to be a Nazi at least she isn't worshiping Hitler...

I know what you mean in one way. My family tells me, because of my lack of belief in god, that they will not have me in their homes and such, until I repent of my sins and come back to church.

It is disturbing, to see otherwise intelligent people fall for or continue to believe in such bullshit.

Like you stated, and as I stated in one of my previous blogs, theist institutions prey upon the downtrodden, the vulnerable and people that are hoping for something better in their lives.

I think it should be considered deceptive recruiting and a crime.

I don't really fault the well meaning members that truly do not know any better.

BUT, I do fault the corrupt leaders that are more than likely looking for more victims to pad their wallets.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno