morality and religion

iznubadd
iznubadd's picture
User is offlineOffline
morality and religion

We are at the heat of debate regarding Reproductive Health Bill, im the the anti-rh side, any comment and input to this:

The rejection or disregard of morality and religious belief is at the core of corruption.

thanks in advance.
RH Bill

"We should always be disposed to believe that which appears to us to be white is really black, if the hierarchy of the church so decides."
Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556)

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ummm...

If you don't support reproductive freedom for women to make up their own minds about what they do with their bodies, then you are no better then a fascist, as it makes you just as much of a misogynistic, patriarchal asshole. Women are not the property of men, no matter how many idiotic religions try and promote that stupid tripe. You have no other reason to take this anti-choice position other then factually incorrect religious texts, that still exist and hold people's minds, because their founders murdered anyone who spoke out against their illogical and savage bullshit for long enough to build a movement based on their self-serving lies.

iznubadd wrote:
The rejection or disregard of morality and religious belief is at the core of corruption.

Umm... evidence please? Making that claim is factually idiotic, as it begs the question "who's morality" and the it doesn't deal with the fact that religion has been one of the most corrupt forces ever created by humans, in that it fights against ANY adjustments of it's positions based not on dogma but on evidence.

What give's you the right to legislate over someone else's body? Some ancient book of myths and superstition? Bullshit.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"And if the 2 bishops

"And if the 2 bishops (Bishop Bastes and Bishop Odchimar) mentioned in the Philippine Star News, Friday, February 4, 2011,p.8, explicitly stated: “We bishops are willing to be imprisoned together with our priests and protest the immoral things “, then I will express the same mind- imprison me and my students."

LOL !

This is funny. If only the pedo-bishops and priests were just as "willing to be imprisoned".

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Is that link a virus?

Is that link a virus?  Anyone??

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Is that link

Sapient wrote:

Not that I can tell. It goes to an article/blogpost.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The rules and commandments

The rules and commandments of religion are mostly a corruption of morality, which is naturally based on empathy for others, the desire to minimize avoidable and unnecessary harm and distress to others, and to assist them where possible, so as to foster a caring and cooperative society.

Demanding and teaching that there should be punishment for victimless crimes, that women, children and servants are the property of the ruling caste of men, is part of the abomination that is particularly a feature of the main Abrahamic 'faiths'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:If you don't

B166ER wrote:

If you don't support reproductive freedom for women to make up their own minds about what they do with their bodies, then you are no better then a fascist, as it makes you just as much of a misogynistic, patriarchal asshole.

Actually there are anti-abortion atheists(BTW, I'm not one of them):

http://www.godlessprolifers.org

It is quite possible to come to this position entirely through reason. It's not just a woman doing something to her body, it usually involves a doctor or nurse. Seems like the state should take on the role of deciding what medical procedures are acceptable. Otherwise all drugs and all surgeries should be legal.

Also this leftist view that we're all responsible to raise 'our' children makes no sense. If I have no say in women having or not having as many kids as they want, why am I responsible to pay for their kids or their abortions?

The rational position to take is to have a social contract to limit family sizes in exchange for a social safety net to provide benefits while getting education/job training. If people don't want to abide by such a contract, they should be on their own, don't pay for their kids or their abortions. Either have mandatory family planning or else just let nature control population via poverty, war and disease.

B166ER wrote:

Women are not the property of men, no matter how many idiotic religions try and promote that stupid tripe.

Are men the property of women? If society is going to force men to pay for a women's choice, shouldn't we have a say in what that choice is? Why can't I decide to not pay for the choices of women like the octomom?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

mousing over it it looks like a typical virusy* url.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

Nah, goo.gl is a site that shortens links, the random characters after that aren't evil, just short.
It links to some article (presumably about the OP's subject?).

iznubadd
iznubadd's picture
User is offlineOffline
thanks a lot

thank you for the inputs....

the link is not a virus... google shorter url service.... (goo.gl)