Our racist media.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our racist media.

So I look at abcnews.com. Here is two of their pictures on the front page:

So why is it racist to compare Obama to a chimp? Why shouldn't we be proud that chimps are our cousins? Chimps don't commit violent crimes(Except the chimp that tore a woman's face off). Why are people so offended with being compared to an ape? Why are theists so uncomfortable with the idea they are related to apes?

Then they've got the story of the kidnapped attractive young white women as the lead story. But when there is a black woman that disappears, nothing in the media about it.

The media just conditions us to what is racist and what we should care about and not care about.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only reason that

The only reason the whole "Obama's a chimp" thing is racist is that it's implying the he's different in that respect from "normal" (read: white and Christian) people. I wish people could get over the fact that all life on this planet is related. But then their domination ideology wouldn't have any justification and they would have to think about the pain they inflict on others with slightly different family trees.

I do agree with you on the kidnapping thing. The media is incredibly racist because this country still is and it sells. There has been a huge push against overt racism without confronting the subconscious assumptions that fuel it. As a kid I constantly wondered if myself, my family and our friends were aliens in how different we seemed from a lot of society. Now I know better and just wish I had been right.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:So I look at

EXC wrote:

So I look at abcnews.com. Here is two of their pictures on the front page:

So why is it racist to compare Obama to a chimp? Why shouldn't we be proud that chimps are our cousins? Chimps don't commit violent crimes(Except the chimp that tore a woman's face off). Why are people so offended with being compared to an ape? Why are theists so uncomfortable with the idea they are related to apes?

Then they've got the story of the kidnapped attractive young white women as the lead story. But when there is a black woman that disappears, nothing in the media about it.

The media just conditions us to what is racist and what we should care about and not care about.

There's no doubt the media is very racist.  Manager of TV stations are almost all white men so they relate to cute white women more than women of other races.  There's even a term for it called Missing White Women Syndrome.  But you must remember they must be HOT white women and not ALL of them get nationwide attention.  Fat ugly white women get ignored all the time and usually women of other races don't get nationwide attention but not always.

I love apes too.  Chimps and Silverbacks are my 2 favorite animals but there's a couple simple reasons why it's considered an insult to say you look like them.  They're not exactly beautiful by human standards plus they are considered beastly and unevolved while humans are a much more advanced species.  Blacks don't like being compared to animals that are beastly and unevolved compared to humans. 

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:The only reason

B166ER wrote:

The only reason the whole "Obama's a chimp" thing is racist is that it's implying the he's different in that respect from "normal" (read: white and Christian) people. I wish people could get over the fact that all life on this planet is related. But then their domination ideology wouldn't have any justification and they would have to think about the pain they inflict on others with slightly different family trees.

I do agree with you on the kidnapping thing. The media is incredibly racist because this country still is and it sells. There has been a huge push against overt racism without confronting the subconscious assumptions that fuel it. As a kid I constantly wondered if myself, my family and our friends were aliens in how different we seemed from a lot of society. Now I know better and just wish I had been right.

qft

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:B166ER

robj101 wrote:

B166ER wrote:

qft

You know what's so IRONIC? The fact that WHITE and Christian are together! LMAO!!

I can't believe some IDIOTS are so NAIVE to think that Christianity is a white religion. It is ANYTHING but!  It a 100% ARAB religion and you can ask any anthropologist and they'll tell you that anyone living in Palestine where the bible CLAIMS Jesus lived would've looked a lot more like Bin Laden that those fictional white paintings you see of Jesus!

They spoke Aramaic in Palestine during the time of Jesus which is an Afro-Asiatic language!! Chrstianity is a white religion like how ARABIC is a European language! LMAO!!

It's more crazy lies spewed by some crazy ChristNUTS!!!  However I admit some Christians do admit that Jesus was Arab (if he existed which he did NOT) but most are still lost in the delusion that Jesus was some Swedish guy!!

BTW, when I said idiots I was NOT referring to the poster who made the post but to the crazy ChristNUTS in general who spew the LIE that Jesus was some white dude when in reality was a bin Laden look alike!!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:The only reason

B166ER wrote:

What country is your family originally from?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 EXC wrote:So why is it

EXC wrote:
So why is it racist to compare Obama to a chimp?

Well, I missed the original deal. However, that brings me to a specific question.

Why is it acceptable to compare anyone to a chimp?

Let's think really hard on this one. There are only two options here. Either it is or it isn't. You get to pick one.

So, we spent eight years looking at the gif of Bush (43) morphing into a chimp. Those who posted that thought that it was funny. I failed to see the comedy value but I let it slide.

Now we have Obama getting something that is not all that different. But now it is racist.

So it is fine to do that to a white guy but it is racist to do that to a black guy?

I shall offer no excuse here. I live in a country where all men are created equal. Yes, we have a racist past. Still, not being racist starts with not actually being racist.

We have a black president. Good for us. One day we will have a women president. We have already had a cripple (FDR) and a fag (Buchannen). If/when Bobby Jindal gets in, we will have an Asian.

Actually, Obama is not really the first black president.

Abe Lincoln's “father” was castrated before he met Abe's mother. Abe's mother owned slaves. Umm yah, I suppose that it is possible that a white dude did the deed. The odds are against it though.

Google will provide a number of other possible candidate “first black” presidents but none so close as Lincoln.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's all in perspective, a

It's all in perspective, a chimp could be a bad ass mofo eating someone's face off but they are usually used as a comparison to silly antics or just being dumb and flinging poo.

If the comparison is with Obama then I personally will go with it and assume he is a bad ass that just ate al-queda's face off, how's that =)

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 <moved from General

<moved from General Conversation to NEWS and activism>

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
On another atheist website

On another atheist website someone used the avatar of Bush Jr and he looked like a chimp in that photo.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't deny

racism is endemic in all countries. There are no magical utopian exceptions to the rule and the US is better than many in that at least it has laws against racial and religious hatreds that seem to be part of the human neurological template. The U.S. was built on migration and is less homogeneous than any other country on the planet. 

I think with the white chick it's mostly big group politics. My brother in law is news editor on a large news website in Australia and they rank news in order of clicks generated, the more people interested (in other words, the larger the group of interest) the more clicks, the higher rated the news. If the nation's citizens are mostly white, then the stories of interest will tend to lean this way. It would be no different in Africa in favour of Africans over Europeans. As a journalist I can also confirm that you're taught at college that what's news is what happens to the in-group. Say, 250,000 Indians might die in a tsunami but the news will focus on the 6 Australians who died. Same with plane crashes and terror attacks. 

Are African Americans less racist than white? Having grown up in New Zealand and rural Australia I can confirm that NZ Maori and Australian Aborigines generally loathe whites and blame them for pretty much everything, deserved or undeserved, that ever goes wrong in their world. They are often happy to beat the crap out of white kids for being white and the establishment is powerless to intervene. Meanwhile, whites suffer from guilt and generally fail to criticize, judge, or act, even when this might be the best course of action. In addition, there's only a certain number of times you can be beaten up by kids from a particular racial group before you start to generalise - and on the circle goes. 

Personally, I despair of a clear way out of all this. Humans are too limited in their intellect, too short sighted in their vision and too flawed in pretty much every way to live alongside each other without some friction or failing. I do think insisting on mixed marriages for a few generations would resolve the differences. If all races were blended there'd be no more finger pointing and a lot more empathy. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Abe Lincoln's “father” was castrated before he met Abe's mother.

this is hardly universally accepted and virtually impossible to prove, because it's all based on hearsay.  the person who claimed thomas lincoln was castrated was a lady named jane davis, who was descended from a man named samuel davis.  she said thomas had been castrated when he was 12 and made the claim to support her assertion that her ancestor--a white farm-owner, mind you, and a neighbor of the lincolns--was abe's true father.  hardly a disinterested claim.

a william cessna said he saw thomas lincoln bathing in a stream--well after his twelf year--and that his testicles were abnormally small, thus fueling the rumors that thomas lincoln was sterile.

many lincoln historians attack these rumors and i hardly find them credible enough to accept out of hand.  rumors about lincoln's illegitimacy date back to his 1860 nomination--sort of like the birthers.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think this is who yoll are

I think this is who yoll are looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Answers in Gene

iwbiek wrote:

Abe Lincoln's “father” was castrated before he met Abe's mother.

this is hardly universally accepted and virtually impossible to prove, because it's all based on hearsay.  the person who claimed thomas lincoln was castrated was a lady named jane davis, who was descended from a man named samuel davis.  she said thomas had been castrated when he was 12 and made the claim to support her assertion that her ancestor--a white farm-owner, mind you, and a neighbor of the lincolns--was abe's true father.  hardly a disinterested claim.

a william cessna said he saw thomas lincoln bathing in a stream--well after his twelf year--and that his testicles were abnormally small, thus fueling the rumors that thomas lincoln was sterile.

many lincoln historians attack these rumors and i hardly find them credible enough to accept out of hand.  rumors about lincoln's illegitimacy date back to his 1860 nomination--sort of like the birthers.

So there is no reason to believe that Lincoln had a black father? I found just a couple articles on it and one from a UK paper without very good sources. 

If there was ANY truth to this then I think we would've learned of it back in elementary school!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Well, we will never know

Well, we will never know for sure. Back then, what passed for records was pretty much what people wanted them to say and the information often could not be written down right away due to the need to find someone who knew how to write.

As far as the various stories, some are more credible than others. For example, the one about Thomas Lincoln being seen naked actually says that his stones were the size of peas. That seems like a rather intimate detail and one that is not likely to be determined reliably based on a quick glimpse of his yam sack.

On the other hand, there is an authoritative biography of Abe Lincoln written by his law partner. The man knew and worked with Abe for several years. In the biography, he recounts a private conversation between them which happened in 1850, well before he would have attracted controversy. In that passage, we learn that Abe considered himself to be illegitimate. I doubt that any closer truth will even be known about the matter.

Also, a DNA test is quite unlikely as his coffin was encased in concrete. Now what might be left inside is probably not enough to work on. I do know that the mythbusters have encased pigs in concrete and they found that after only a couple of months, there were not even bones left.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:[So

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

[So there is no reason to believe that Lincoln had a black father?

no, there isn't.  there are reasons to believe it's possible.  though i hold that if lincoln were illegitimate, a slave would be the least likely father.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm from...

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
What country is your family originally from?

I was born and have lived in western Washington state in the U.S. all my life, mostly in the Seattle area. I'm a coastal rain-forest kid. XD

So it is fine to do that to a white guy but it is racist to do that to a black guy?

Personally, I've never been offended when people have tried the "if you believe in EVILution, then your saying you're a chimp!" bullshit. I always just tell them that I'm not ashamed of my cousins, then call them a European (which is an analogy that they rarely understand), and to many racist ass 'Merikans that is somehow an insult! On your question as to why it's racist one way and not the other, I would say it's because white people never had to deal with centuries of being compared to chimps for the sole purpose of dehumanizing them with the intention of justifying treating them like property. Personally, I don't like the comparison made to ANYBODY if it's meant to be an insult, since I really don't see anything wrong with being a chimp, but some groups have more of a history of it being directed towards them then others and that is where I see a difference.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:though i hold

iwbiek wrote:
though i hold that if lincoln were illegitimate, a slave would be the least likely father.

OK, based on exactly what?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

iwbiek wrote:
though i hold that if lincoln were illegitimate, a slave would be the least likely father.

OK, based on exactly what?

well, the fact that, of all the names i know of that have been listed as possible fathers of abraham lincoln (i've heard of seven besides samuel davis), none of them were black.  have you heard of a specific slave that could be a candidate?  because it seems logical to me that a possible father who can be named is automatically more likely than a mysterious person who can't.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, what's the evidence in

So, what's the evidence in favor of James B. being homosexual, again?