Going back to school

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Going back to school

So I got accepted at my local College and can either take electrical engineering or aviation engineering and am kinda caught up on which one to take. On one hand I'll probably electricute people, on the other others may die in a fiery plane crash.

But seriously, any engineers here that can vouch for one of these? Are they interesting, job oppurtinites etc..?

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Pineapple! I'm not an

Hey Pineapple! I'm not an engineer myself, but my boyfriend got his degree in electrical engineering, and he enjoyed it a lot. He could probably tell you more about it if you're curious~ I'll pass along any questions to him. So my vote is for electrical engineering.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The red is positive and the

The red is positive and the black is negative. AND NEVER CUT THE BLUE WIRE......KABOOOM.

Sorry, thats all I've got.

I'm sure either can lead you to something, whether you'll end up enjoying it, that is another story.

I'll tell you I've gotten jobs where I thought, "This will be fun", only to go "Holy shit, this sucks". And I've taken classes I thought I would hate, but ended up enjoying, and others I thought I would enjoy but hated.

I would say go with what you enjoy. And either way, get a job with people you enjoy working with. It does you know good if you have a job surrounded by people you cant stand.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hi Cpt.I have an

Hi Cpt.
I have an electrotechnic high school education... But then I found out that I'm surprisingly a humanistic type. Anyway, I can't imagine a girl studying either of these. My high school had all such classes entirely male, only when I graduated there was reputedly going to be one girl freshman in my field. 

You can surely do it, but I don't know you, your type, if you like this technical, analytic stuff. It is usually a lot of work for a little reward in form of a correct reading on the measuring device. Lots of electrical wiring for a few synchronized LED lights. Lots of code lines for a few robot moves. It reminds me of one episode of TBBT, where the guys had set up a large apparatus to send a laser beam to a mirror left on the moon, to measure the response as one small peak on the oscilloscope or something. The nerd factor here is high, if that is what you want.

If anything, I'd go for the aviation engineering. Nevermind fiery death, at least it's doing something awesome. (flying)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently, at some point in

Apparently, at some point in his past, Bobspence majored in electrical engineering. I'd check up with him

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I have decided to go for the

I have decided to go for the Electrical engineering, because the aviation one doesn't sound too good for me from the college calender.

/blogrrs

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I have

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I have decided to go for the Electrical engineering, because the aviation one doesn't sound too good for me from the college calender.

/blogrrs

Hey, welcome to the club (assuming you are going to be successful).

I got my degree in electrical engineering from my local state-funded University...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:So I got

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So I got accepted at my local College and can either take electrical engineering or aviation engineering and am kinda caught up on which one to take. On one hand I'll probably electricute people, on the other others may die in a fiery plane crash.

But seriously, any engineers here that can vouch for one of these? Are they interesting, job oppurtinites etc..?

I'm in high tech engineering.

They're both fascinating fields, but it really depends on your personality. I center around structural engineering and aerospace composites, which to me, is closer to art, than electrical, which I find closer to math and economics.

Both have pretty unlimited potential, in terms of specific areas of expertise. Your options are very broad, with either field.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Getting your degree simply

Getting your degree simply shows that you can put up with three years of BS and have some inclination for being analytical.  Once you have it, you can pursue any related career you want, I work in telecommunication and they always ask for an electrical engineering degree or related experience.  

Telecom is here to stay, all the gigabit networks of tomorrow are going to ride on a fiber optics infrastructure designed by people like you.  The company I work for is currently going through such a major overhaul to future proof the infrastructure.  I find it pretty exciting, and while the geek factor is high to begin with, the actual outcome is tangible and very rewarding.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc