Volunteers Needed for Atheist 'Prayer' Experiment!!!!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Volunteers Needed for Atheist 'Prayer' Experiment!!!!

Hi All,

This conversation from another thread was the catalist for the idea:

Sandycane wrote:
Tgbaker wrote:
Sandycane wrote:

I love your virtual 'live' avatar.

How are you feeling today? I hope you get to go home soon.

HEY! One of the theists posted about an aunt or someone who was in the hospital with cancer and she prayed it away! This is the perfect opportunity for you to do an experiment and see if it actually works!

Seriously, I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Hi SandyCane.  I feel great. I did well through the first chemo. They are growing all the white cells etc.; back in me that they killed with the chemo.  Then I get another bone marrow biopsy.  The only problem I have had was a reaction to an anti-biotic which has left me itching from head to toe.  Thus a topical steroid.  I am here at least another 4 to 6 weeks.  I miss not being able to hold my 2 year old.  I think we should create an objective experiment to determine whether atheistic prayers may have a "law of attraction effect" that surpasses those of the Christian, Jew and Muslim.  The reasoning is that the universe is pissed that people do not see it as supreme and give credit to a non-exstent force of deity. Mother nature is amazed that so many people worship the unnatural.  We atheist do not pray on the other hand because of our response to theism.  So I in the name of the natural petition all atheists to pray for me, my bank account and libido.  We need a time frame whch will begin 12 noon tomorrow Eastern time.  You game? 

Thanks for the hope 

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!

I'M GOING TO COPY THIS TO A NEW THREAD AND GET EVERYONE ON BOARD!!!

So, all volunteers 'sign up' here (so we know how many are participating) and lets do a scientific experiment to see if the good thoughts and love for fellow beings are just as noble as those of the theists - without the involvement of a delusional deity.

Everyone, at Noon Eastern time, for a minimum of one minute, longer if you have the time, simply stop what you are doing and think happy thoughts and a picture of health and full recovery for our dear member, TGBaker.

I don't think we should have a deadline but, since he will be in the hospital for another 4-6 weeks we should continue at least until May 15.

Who's with us?

Mark your calendars and lets cure TGBaker... and kick some theist butt!!!

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 When I was in sales one of

When I was in sales one of my managers became obsessed with 'The Secret' and made everyone on the sales team read it. Then had hour long meetings about the damn thing. Sales plummeted. Funny thing about sales, the only way to get them is to go out and sell.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Secret wa a way to take

The Secret wa a way to take advantage of people who were needy.  There is a ton of stuff like it.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
positive thinking

I think positive thinking has no power on cancer or micro-organisms. But I would rather spend my time enjoying life the best I can than feeling victimized.

Trying to act positive when I am not is worse than being negative. If being negative is simply where I am and I am processing the feelings I am in a better place.

I had NHL in '98 with 6 heavy chemo treatments. I did do visualization imaging the chemo shrinking the tumors. I knew where they where. I don't think that made it work, but it gave me something to do when I felt pretty helpless. Reading George Carlins book (i think its called mind droppings) was good as well. Reading shit on the internet was bad. I left that to my wife.
Best of luck, TG.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Trying

ex-minister wrote:

Trying to act positive when I am not is worse than being negative. If being negative is simply where I am and I am processing the feelings I am in a better place.

That's what the author of that book found, as well. That the added 'stress' put upon oneself to try and 'fake it till you make it' could actually be detrimental and counter productive.

IME, it's completely asinine to think we can 'make' things happen by merely thinking them.

If that were the case, then we could 'think' the world into 'utopia'.

How many times has there been a lottery where the 'numbers' did not correspond to anyone's ticket?

Guess that's a 'miracle', huh?...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:ex-minister

redneF wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

That's what the author of that book found, as well. That the added 'stress' put upon oneself to try and 'fake it till you make it' could actually be detrimental and counter productive.

Interesting. Brings to mind a question. If I am depressed (which I am), using zen techniques to put myself in a more neutral position (not forcing a positive), would this actually hinder the processing...uh, process? Or Should I let myself feel the depression fully? (maybe dangerous)

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I get to have pneumonia

I get to have pneumonia today.

beardedinlair
atheist
beardedinlair's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was worried about you.

I was worried about you. Positive thoughts your way.

peto verum
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I get to have

TGBaker wrote:

That sucks.  Sounds like you already have a heaping plate full of crap and you definitely didn't deserve this on top of it.

My heartfelt sympathies out to you

KORAN, n.
A book which the Mohammedans foolishly believe to have been written by divine inspiration, but which Christians know to be a wicked imposture, contradictory to the Holy Scriptures. ~ The Devil's Dictionary

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline

TGBaker wrote:

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have been smoking durring prayer time!

Now look what I did to you!!!

Seriously, that sucks, big time, TG.  

Still thinking happy thoughts your way.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:TGBaker

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have been smoking durring prayer time!

Now look what I did to you!!!

Seriously, that sucks, big time, TG.  

Still thinking happy thoughts your way.

No enjoyed the virtual nicotene. I quit smoking in 2006 but here lately thought what the hell a ciggie would be good.  I had about two days of weakness but my fever broke or lessened I should say so I did 12 laps around  my bone marrow floor ( = one mile).  I'm herre at least a week given the pneumonia but they caught it early

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: No enjoyed

TGBaker wrote:

No enjoyed the virtual nicotene. I quit smoking in 2006 but here lately thought what the hell a ciggie would be good.  I had about two days of weakness but my fever broke or lessened I should say so I did 12 laps around  my bone marrow floor ( = one mile).  I'm herre at least a week given the pneumonia but they caught it early

Rest up... and quit thinking about strippers!!!

I'd like to quit smoking. I've never smoked more than a pack a day and I've switched to Tahoe Ultra Lights - practically non-smoking. Now that I have the shop in my house, I've cut way back since I don't want the material to smell like smoke and I never smoke in the shop. I'll quit one of these days.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Rest up... and quit thinking about strippers!!!

I'd like to quit smoking. I've never smoked more than a pack a day and I've switched to Tahoe Ultra Lights - practically non-smoking. Now that I have the shop in my house, I've cut way back since I don't want the material to smell like smoke and I never smoke in the shop. I'll quit one of these days.

My mother-in-law crochets and knits. We recently found some needles so she could do the old fashion tatting.  Look for an herb called lobelia whcih contains a substanc called lobeline that does a good job of replacing nicotene, You can drink it as a tea whenever you want a ciggie.  The American Indians used it as a substitute for tobacco when it was scarce. It was sometimes called Indian tobacco. It acts as a relaxant instead of a stimulant (like nicotene). aLSO WHEN YOU ANT A CIGARETTE TAKE A  wet towel and wash your forearms there seems to be some seditive action (accupunture???)Finally whenever you want a ciggie drink heavily ( wait I don't think that is right )

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: My

TGBaker wrote:

My mother-in-law crochets and knits. We recently found some needles so she could do the old fashion tatting.  Look for an herb called lobelia whcih contains a substanc called lobeline that does a good job of replacing nicotene, You can drink it as a tea whenever you want a ciggie.  The American Indians used it as a substitute for tobacco when it was scarce. It was sometimes called Indian tobacco. It acts as a relaxant instead of a stimulant (like nicotene). aLSO WHEN YOU ANT A CIGARETTE TAKE A  wet towel and wash your forearms there seems to be some seditive action (accupunture???)

Lobelia, huh? I'll see if I can find it. I've always had a preference for relaxants over stimulants anyway.

Quote:
Finally whenever you want a ciggie drink heavily ( wait I don't think that is right )

That's what I'm afraid of.. if I quite smoking I might go back to drinking! Hey, I think I'm allowed one bad habit. No one would like me if I was perfect.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

My mother-in-law crochets and knits. We recently found some needles so she could do the old fashion tatting.  Look for an herb called lobelia whcih contains a substanc called lobeline that does a good job of replacing nicotene, You can drink it as a tea whenever you want a ciggie.  The American Indians used it as a substitute for tobacco when it was scarce. It was sometimes called Indian tobacco. It acts as a relaxant instead of a stimulant (like nicotene). aLSO WHEN YOU ANT A CIGARETTE TAKE A  wet towel and wash your forearms there seems to be some seditive action (accupunture???)

Lobelia, huh? I'll see if I can find it. I've always had a preference for relaxants over stimulants anyway.

Quote:
Finally whenever you want a ciggie drink heavily ( wait I don't think that is right )

That's what I'm afraid of.. if I quite smoking I might go back to drinking! Hey, I think I'm allowed one bad habit. No one would like me if I was perfect.

I just had a bone marrow biopsy where they punch into your hip bone torture you by digging around in side.  They would not give me sctoch or medicinal brownies.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Sandycane

TGBaker wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Quote:

I just had a bone marrow biopsy where they punch into your hip bone torture you by digging around in side.  They would not give me sctoch or medicinal brownies.

I can't say I've been through that but, about 25 years ago I went through a battery of infertility tests that I would call torture, too. One in particular stands out...they used an air pump to blow some kind of gas through my fallopian tubes to see if they were blocked - they were. Talk about pain! And then, as the gas tried to work it's way out of my body over the next week or so, it floated up through my abdominal cavity and into my shoulders.

Not near as bad as when I experienced the ruptured tubal pregnancy, though... twice.

None of which were as bad as what you are having to go through now, my friend.

Keep your chin up, you'll be home with your 2 year old soon enough.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
beardedinlair wrote:redneF

beardedinlair wrote:

redneF wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Interesting. Brings to mind a question. If I am depressed (which I am), using zen techniques to put myself in a more neutral position (not forcing a positive), would this actually hinder the processing...uh, process? Or Should I let myself feel the depression fully? (maybe dangerous)

I believe yes. Life is a process and bottling it up makes it worse. In my Christians days I warred against such evil things as doubt, lust, anger. I got pretty miserable. It is something like being on a diet. You try not to think about food but you only think about it more. I say for the greater majority of humans feeling your feelings is fine. If you are clinically disturbed than medication is necessary, but here in the US I believe we are way over medicated because people just don't want to feel their feelings. Religion has done a lot to promote that. You need joy in your heart. You should be grateful look at what Jesus did for you. blah, blah, blah. I tested myself, what would happen if instead of fighting depression I just let it have its way with me. One day I just could not shake it. I finally fell back in a chair and said you win. It was within a very short time I was over it. I went through it and kept avoiding going around it. I started welcoming lust and found it pleasurable. I didn't go out an rape any women but just felt the pleasure of it. I allowed myself to get angry and felt when I let it go the world would fall backwards. I let it out on someone at work. I felt my face getting red. I said my peace. I felt embarrassed. A couple of days later I mentioned the incident and they were in disbelief that I had been angry. Now I love all these things that Christianity denied me. Why did they deny me from being just human because it is to control people and make them embarrassed by just being human. Stress was holding it in and I do believe that has a bad affect on my body. Years of it might weaken my immune system, but thinking only happy thoughts is not going to cure me of a disease. 

So for TG I hope the best and if something ain't right speak up about it. I used to even do that. I would not question a doctor or nurse.

I went to the emergency room a few years ago for lime disease. The nurse was totally incompetent. I was laying in the bed and she kept jabbing me over and over trying to draw blood. I got real pissed and bolted upright and said I am done. I am leaving. She got the head nurse in there and they had me sign a paper to protect them legally. I was also feeling better. I walked about glad I took care of myself and did not let someone abuse me repeatedly. That is what I did in religion. That is what I do no more.

You have to decide for yourself what is best. I think understanding the cause of the depression versus treating its symptom is best. A good therapist (they are only good or bad) would help there. 

I did handle my depression through strenuous exercise. Now that I got to the root of it I don't feel as compelled. I really enjoy my life now that I have handed back the shame religion put upon me. Good riddance. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I already am!

I haven't been on the forum in a while, but seeing as I'm a psychic and all, I was already "praying" for you TG!

Just know that we're all rooting for your recovery. My mother and grandmother both are breast cancer survivors, my uncle Mike (died in 96 from a heart attack) had skin cancer, and my good friend Will just died last year from a cancer that started near his groin that metastasized throughout his body.

Thankfully, we live in the times we do with the scientific medicine that we have or all those people on that list would have died from cancer.  Good luck on your treatments TG, and know that we all wish you the best. Just try to keep on smiling and remember each day you live is another lucky day alive!

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

TGBaker wrote:

Bummer. I caught pneumonia real bad and got hospitalized for a few weeks with it. Not fun. I'll smoke a cigar for you. I don't have any scotch, but I have some Etude brandy so I will drink that for you. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:TGBaker

Beyond Saving wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Bummer. I caught pneumonia real bad and got hospitalized for a few weeks with it. Not fun. I'll smoke a cigar for you. I don't have any scotch, but I have some Etude brandy so I will drink that for you. 

Thanks I like brandy and congac too.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we may safely say

I think we may safely say that atheistic prayers work no better than theistic ones.  I did get put on a nice little thingy called VFEND which allows me as  aside effect to see vivid colors and patterns,   incredible creative visualizations and lucid dreaming to an extent. The regular dreams are  intense as well.  Since the Wednesday before last they not been able to locate the cause of my fever. The chemo has done its job and I have a healthy immune system but it can't fight off the infection. So I'll go reverse order I had a filter put in my jugular becasue I found a blood clot in my left clot. So they put me under....filter and an oil change. I had a lump occuring on my right breast near my armpit biopsied.I was put under to do a pulminary to retrieve cultures from my lungs/ Coughing unconsciously caused a vessel to breal in my right eye so I have the red eye.  All of the cultures done have been negative but are waiting a fungul culture from my right lung.  Oh, yea I had two cat scansSo the speculation is maybe the blood clot is causing the fever. And Mr. Metaphysics bowed out of our discussion. STOP THE PRAYING On a positive note I did lose eight lbs. And the VFEND 

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Oh I meant to thank Jeffrick for calling and chatting the other night. Helps with the spirit. My fever is subsiding now. With luck I could o home next week,

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
No prob....

TGBaker wrote:

Oh I meant to thank Jeffrick for calling and chatting the other night. Helps with the spirit. My fever is subsiding now. With luck I could o home next week,

Your welcome and I liked the pic with the hair better. How soon can you grow it back?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:TGBaker

Jeffrick wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Your welcome and I liked the pic with the hair better. How soon can you grow it back?

Long time I'm afraid. I will get to go home until the Lukemia starts up again. Then bck to chemo.m  Dr. thinks 2 to 3 months to find bone marrow candidate.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tommy:  YGPM

Tommy:  YGPM

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tommy's self reported

Tommy's self reported update.

DISCLAIMER: Since the following is a subjective report of things that the subject experienced  and given his largely drugged mind validity of everything should be cautioned.

I am presently through my third vitals ( taken every four hrs) and my fever apparently broeken since each vitals has been in the 98 degree range for each,  On the otherhand interpretation as flipped flopped as tt whether I have pneumonia thus casuing the fever or the blood clot in my left leg. I had a filter placed in my right jugular to catch any clots before they reach my lungs and heart.  I also had a biopsy of a lump on my breast near my arm pit. You probably can tell that  I am feeeling a lot better through my posts.  I realistically should be home by next thursday,  I have a completely healthy immune system that they have built  for me until the Luekemia again takes it over. Apart from my leg which feels like a baloon I feeel great ( like a fully fed vampire).  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: You probably

TGBaker wrote:

You probably can tell that  I am feeeling a lot better through my posts.  I realistically should be home by next thursday,  I have a completely healthy immune system that they have built  for me until the Luekemia again takes it over. Apart from my leg which feels like a baloon I feeel great ( like a fully fed vampire).  

It's really great to hear you're doing better, my friend.

Your spirit is an inspiration!

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
HEY GUYS I AM

HEY GUYS I AM HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:HEY GUYS I AM

TGBaker wrote:

Woo-hoo! See??? Atheist praying does work - the timing was just off a bit.

I like your new un-hair do. You look almost as handsome as Capt. Picard.

We need a new pic of you in your natural environment, though.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TGBaker wrote:

CONGRATS!! YAHOOOOOOOOO!!!  Just in time to be a couch potato NHL/NBA playoffs and baseball season, hope your cable holds up to the presser.  Sorry but a couple of your favorite soaps are being cancelled, don't worry there is always talking to your family members, nah just kidding. There is always us just a mouse click away.

I had a good feeling  you'd pull through A ok,  how about that modern medical science.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

TGBaker wrote:

No eff'n shit?!

You're a warrior, Bro! 

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline

TGBaker wrote:

Congratulations!  Thats great news.  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker Transplant update

Well guys and gals I got a tentative update on my bone marrow transplant.  On June 13th i will get another bone marrow biopsy.  On 6/20 I will meet with the doctor and discuss over all plans. On July 18th I will stop my chemo that i am maintaining with for 7 days.  I have a 30 to 30% chance of getting sick or recurrence at this time. I then go through a different type of chemo to kill off my immune system on July 20 for 8 days. I have a 20 to 30% chance of complications from infection, pneumonia etc.;  On July 28th I begin 28 days hibernating in the clinic on an out patient basis. I go in at 7 am and come out 4 to 12 hours later. I have a 45% chance of complications then. The transplant may not take or the transplant may take to well and view my whole body as something to kill off.  The middle or end of June would be better ( safer) but my donor is a young 20-something male who wants to enjoy summer break before he donates ( or something like that). So we will wait  a couple of months. Youth is wasted on the young.  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Youth is

TGBaker wrote:

Youth is wasted on the young.  

Ain't that the truth. 

Thank you for the update.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.