Emergency: $90 donation needed now!

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Emergency: $90 donation needed now!

Due to several business expenses registering at once, including our advertising fees and lower subscriber rate this month we desperately need $90 by Monday.  We also need help raising money for a new server to last us 5 more years, we expect to pay about $3,600.  A monthly contribution of any level helps us to pay our bills.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 C'mon guys and gals, this

C'mon guys and gals, this has been up for a couple of days now and only $25???? We can do better than that.

This website isn't free, and Sapient isn't living in luxury. If you like this site as your home please redistribute some of the wealth to help keep it going. To get things going, I will pledge to match all donations that occur within the next 24 hours up to a total of $200 (even yours Jean), so not only will you be donating, but you will be taking away some of my hardly earned money as well.

Thank you.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try this.

If everyone raised their membership status to gold and if our active but none paying members paid for at least a bronze. Just an idea.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: C'mon

Beyond Saving wrote:

C'mon guys and gals, this has been up for a couple of days now and only $25???? We can do better than that.

This website isn't free, and Sapient isn't living in luxury. If you like this site as your home please redistribute some of the wealth to help keep it going. To get things going, I will pledge to match all donations that occur within the next 24 hours up to a total of $200 (even yours Jean), so not only will you be donating, but you will be taking away some of my hardly earned money as well.

Thank you.

My posts already contribute a priceless amount.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:My posts

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

My posts already contribute a priceless amount.

I agree.  I'm glad for both of us that others are willing to donate to host them on the internet.  You're not the only one with priceless posts, thankfully there are a few people willing to pay to host everyones important writings.  

Thanks for the matching offer Beyond Saving!  I'll post it on facebook in hopes that we get some donations up to $200.

stoudtbrad
stoudtbrad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hope it helps

I gotcha Sapient.  Sorry I can't give more, Uncle Sam pays his Air Force children a very mediocre salary for the crap we put up with. 
One day when I win the lottery I'll buy you guys a beach house in Cancun with as much bandwidth as you could handle.

Hope all is well,

- Brad

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks so much Brad.

Thanks so much Brad.  Thanks again to Beyond Saving for the matching idea.  I posted his matching offer on facebook and have received $35 in an hour.  Every little bit helps!

I assure you I'm being extremely careful with money these days and have expenses minimized.  If I can get ahead I plan to keep money saved for the emergency purchase of a new server when this one goes... or is slower than needed.

stoudtbrad
stoudtbrad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy to be there

I'll talk to the wife in the morning, see if we can part with a bit more monies.  Been a fan of you guys for years, I'd like to see you run for president one day lol; just trying to pay ya'll back for the countless hours of humor and insight.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll slip you a MO as I

I'll slip you a MO as I don't like using my card on the net. Bob has my e-mail he can skype it to you or PM it to you. give him a snail mail address where I can send it.  It won't be till Wednesday that I'll be able to send it so once I do send it it wont be there probably till next week.

If it weren't for the friggen soaring prices of everything and my job cutting back hours this time of year, I'd do it more.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
thanks

My comments are not as priceless, so I just chipped in.   

Such a great website. Have learned a lot and cleared my head of woo-woo while being entertained.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Ex-Minister, thanks for

Ex-Minister, thanks for the $50 donation.  I sent you an email as well, but I wanted to thank you here.  Thanks to Beyond Saving as well for the matching offer, since the match was offered we've raised $85.  That's very helpful!

- Brian

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know it has been awhile

I know it has been awhile since I have been on but the success of this site is dear to my heart so throwing a bit of love your way.

Luv you guys!!  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks so much Renee.

Thanks so much Renee.  

We're only $65 away from our $200 goal to be matched a few hours from now.  Someone please contribute a few bucks so it can be matched by beyond saving!  $5, $10, $15... anything helps!  It's going to be doubled!

SoupTyrant
atheist
SoupTyrant's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hey everyone. I've been a

Hey everyone. I've been a fan of this site for years. I don't think I've ever posted, but I've read and lurked and learned a lot from everyone here. Sapient, I saw your post on FB and I figured I can chip in $15 to thank you for everything you've done and continue to do.

Keep up the good work man!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks again SoupTyrant.

Thanks again SoupTyrant.  Feel free to stick around, I've added the atheist badge to your account so you can access some secret areas and functions.

Beyond Saving, Renee used an e-check so her $50 donation is not likely to show up for 3 days.  However at the moment we are $50 away from the $200 matching cut-off.  

We have just over an hour left!  Any donations up to $50 will be doubled, please contribute!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 C'mon, just a few more

C'mon, just a few more bucks. If you don't make me pay my $200 I'm going to donate the remainder to Rand Paul or some other right wing nut job.

Edit: Or maybe Sarah Palin, just to piss some of you off...

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Beyond Saving, thanks so

Beyond Saving, thanks so much for offering to match donations.  There was $150 donated during the last 24 hours as a result of your offer.  I really appreciate that you did that, I'm sure it was a big factor in getting some donors to chip in.

For the first time ever I'm actually emailing past donors, hopefully they will contribute over the next few days and we will be on our way to being able to get through 2011 without an issue.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Your welcome, glad I could

Your welcome, glad I could help out. I appreciate everything you do to keep this site going as long as you have.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Thanks so much again BS, I

Thanks so much again BS, I just got your donation.  You raised $300 in 24 hours!  Great work!

Beyond Saving wrote:

I appreciate everything you do to keep this site going as long as you have.

That's nothing... to infinity and beyond!  My goal is to ensure the site exists in perpetuity.  We will continue to upgrade the site as time goes on as well.  A massive upgrade is due for this year.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, I cant use the PM for

Brian, I cant use the PM for some reason. If you can get a hold of Bob on skype he can shoot you my e-mail, send me a snail mail address I can send an MO to. I get paid today and will shoot you a MO tomorrow which will get to you sometime next week. But I need a snail mail to send it to you.

Got it. Thanks. And thanks for keeping this website around. It is my oasis in a sea of theism.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 The $50 donation from

The $50 donation from Renee just cleared and now shows in the chip in.  

To those who haven't chipped in yet... please consider $5-$10.  Everything helps...

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's the deal with the fund raise icon thingy

Whats the deal with the object on the front page that reports how much money has been donated? I see $275 one time and then come in later and see $60. I just opened a new window again and it says $60. It is very inconsistent.

Anybody else seeing that?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Whats the

ex-minister wrote:

Whats the deal with the object on the front page that reports how much money has been donated? I see $275 one time and then come in later and see $60. I just opened a new window again and it says $60. It is very inconsistent.

Anybody else seeing that?

I have noticed that when I use Chrome it is stuck. Something in my browser must be remembering what it was. If I switch browsers it will show me the current amount. 

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 ah. Safari here. My Droid

ah. Safari here. My Droid seems to get the latest. It shows $325 now. But Safari still $60.

Religion Kills !!!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 I used a cached version of

I used a cached version of the chip in module to help speed the site up a little.  It could be causing it to be inconsistent.  I've seen it display properly for the most part, just a little delay when a new donation gets added.  Sorry if it bothers you, the speed of the site is more important to me than the proper number showing.  It bothers me that I have to waste page load time at all.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 understood.Perhaps there

understood.

Perhaps there is a better module, but I wouldn't know. When I chipped in I keep thinking did it take, when will it take. Now I see why. Good I had the droid in that case.

Religion Kills !!!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: I used a

Sapient wrote:

I used a cached version of the chip in module to help speed the site up a little.  It could be causing it to be inconsistent.  I've seen it display properly for the most part, just a little delay when a new donation gets added.  Sorry if it bothers you, the speed of the site is more important to me than the proper number showing.  It bothers me that I have to waste page load time at all.

Brian, the MO is in the mail, 30 bucks should be there by Saturday, but certainly next week.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Brian, I got your money

Brian, I got your money order.  Thanks man!  

I know some people get large tax refunds, anyone out there want to donate $200 of their large refund?  If we had several people do that, we'd have no needs for 2 years, and be able to increase our advertising.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks to you I can't buy

Thanks to you I can't buy that Clitty Bruiser I wanted. (note to self: Sapient didn't need to know that,)

"Top Secret" joke folks.

Anywho, THANK YOU for this website. It really is my oasis in a sea of theism.

Fate
User is offlineOffline
Decided to donate what I

Decided to donate what I have left to RRS. It was either Rational Response or an obscure charity that spends 90% of collected money to raising more funds. VERY hard decision, you know.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 It's your last chance to

It's your last chance to donate before the rapture!  Please donate before it's not too late!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
HRD

ok. I added some more to the pot and to round up the tally. 

Happy Rapture Day.

Religion Kills !!!

herveleger21
User is offlineOffline
Mod edit: Spam 

Mod edit: Spam

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad wrote:

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Are we through this recession?   

We aren't through the recession.  My paypal account got hit by several business expenses at once, including domain name renewals and this months server bill is late.  They expect $100 by 2 days ago.  However the card is declined.  I'm sorry to have to ask but we need $90 by Monday to help keep the site up and running without a worry.  Please donate via paypal right now!

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've just donated $50 USD -

I've just donated $50 USD - that's pretty significant for me, but the current exchange rate with Australian dollars makes it a little bit more affordable. 

Thanks to all involved for keeping this site up and running - it's been an educational, entertaining and thought-provoking all at the same time. 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
HumanVuvuzela wrote:I've

HumanVuvuzela wrote:

I've just donated $50 USD - that's pretty significant for me, but the current exchange rate with Australian dollars makes it a little bit more affordable. 

Thanks to all involved for keeping this site up and running - it's been an educational, entertaining and thought-provoking all at the same time. 

Thanks very much.  I'll do something very significant for me in appreciation.  I am going to award you a lifetime silver membership.  If it ever happens to go away I assure you it will be an error, just write me and I'll give it back to you.  Thanks.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Brian, I cant

Brian37 wrote:
Brian, I cant use the PM for some reason.

Brian37, I think that I fixed that for you, old though the issue may be.

Brian Sapient:

Before I came here, I was senior staff on one of the largest computer support forums in the world.  As you know, I can't help with cash right  now but I can look at your specs and see where I can save you cash.  PM me with something and we will see where we go from there.

Lacking information, I don't want to commit to much right now but I think that I can underbid Dell for similar stuff.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Brian Sapient:

Before I came here, I was senior staff on one of the largest computer support forums in the world.  As you know, I can't help with cash right  now but I can look at your specs and see where I can save you cash.  PM me with something and we will see where we go from there.

Lacking information, I don't want to commit to much right now but I think that I can underbid Dell for similar stuff.

Dude, I thought that was you that volunteered that help in the past.  I sent you an email a few weeks ago with the specs being considered and I never heard back.  I just checked my email and on 7/9 I sent an email to your malpine******@gmail email addy.

I'll pm you the same email.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just donated $50 which should put you over

I just sent you $50 which should have put you over the immediate need.

Like everyone else times are tough but I want to keep RRS going, like you I think it is very important.

PJTS

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Got it.

I was haveing trubble remembering my code access,  I finnaly changed the code. sorry it took 2 days.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks everyone for the

Thanks everyone for the donations.  All is well again.  

kimsland
atheist
kimsland's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pay?

Um, you've got Ads shoved all over the place, this topic alone has about 10 Ads going on all over the place!

I'm a strong believer in free Internet on forums, blogs and even just reading stuff.

If others want to donate, so be it, their choice and all. I personally advise against it, especially with remarks like "C'mon guys and gals, this has been up for a couple of days now and only $25???? We can do better than that. This website isn't free"

It isn't? And I need to "Do Better"? I'm outa here then, here I was thinking I'm here to help the greater community, when I'm actually here to pay? Geez, you should have made the post real clear and stated "Give to the poor box" The Minister requires a new Jag.

I just read this in the rules: to be free, and in the spirit of Freethought

They were the days, where posting on someone's forum meant that your membership and words alone brought riches to the site. Long gone now, I haven't seen a recent forum yet that doesn't spam from the top down.

I'll donate my advice ok, since that will have far more weight than your precious money.

Respect your members, for without them there would be no forum, do note that sometimes the 'Forum' owners will need to pay for this right. Keep up the good work.

p.s. I understand that this topic concluded with a thanks (to donators only) But since its still open I was sure that donators and free posters alike were allowed to reply.

p.p.s Donations are member's choice not obligation? As Homer Simpson once said, Look boy its 'voluntary' donation, oh yeah I'll do that! Ha Ha Ha

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Kimsland, I think that you misunderstood the matter. Donations to the site really are voluntary. If you just want to provide your words, that is valuable enough.

However, while there are places where you can get free websites, forums do cost real money. And the ads we have here plus the donations for those who choose to do so mostly pay the bills but this was a time when Sapient hit a crisis and we nearly lost the site for a month.

In the few years that I have been here, this is the only time he has ever had to do such an appeal, so it is not like he needs new gold plated hardware for the bathroom in the private jet or anything like that. Really, Sapient has a day job that covers his real life but this place takes hundreds of dollars a month to keep running. That money must come from somewhere and his day job will not do it.

Seriously, stick around. We would love to have you here. You don't have to pay anything to be a member. Your words will help all around. They will also help to create that much more of a foot print on google, so they will contribute to drawing new people in and some of them will donate. BTW, google is a big drag on the cash flow as they sometimes have dozens of servers reading our messages and that data transfer is a big part of the cost.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

kimsland
atheist
kimsland's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK I pushed you to think of

OK

I pushed you to think of banning me, or at least removing my post, and you didn't do either.

I'll stick around now, thanks for believing in me Smiling

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
kimsland wrote:OK I pushed

kimsland wrote:

OK

I pushed you to think of banning me, or at least removing my post, and you didn't do either.

I'll stick around now, thanks for believing in me Smiling

Where did you get those ideas?

No-one here would have remotely been 'pushed' to think of doing either, based on your comments.

It seems like you must have encountered some really sensitive sites, to have those thoughts in mind. You should have no such problems here - you have to be pretty bad-ass abusive, and usually repeatedly, to be banned here, or even have your posts deleted.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
kimsland wrote: Um, you've

kimsland wrote:

Um, you've got Ads shoved all over the place, this topic alone has about 10 Ads going on all over the place!

I'm a strong believer in free Internet on forums, blogs and even just reading stuff.

If others want to donate, so be it, their choice and all. I personally advise against it, especially with remarks like "C'mon guys and gals, this has been up for a couple of days now and only $25???? We can do better than that. This website isn't free"

It isn't? And I need to "Do Better"? I'm outa here then, here I was thinking I'm here to help the greater community, when I'm actually here to pay? Geez, you should have made the post real clear and stated "Give to the poor box" The Minister requires a new Jag.

That remark was mine and I am not an owner of the forum or affiliated in any way other than my participation here. Simply a regular poster and contributor trying to encourage others who are regulars to donate. And apparently it worked because we almost maxed my matching offer. The site is free for you to use, it is not free for Sapient to host and Sapient doesn't drive a jag and has put large amounts of his own money to get this site up and keep it going. I believe it is prudent for those of us who enjoy the site and have the resources available to donate. 

kimsland wrote:

They were the days, where posting on someone's forum meant that your membership and words alone brought riches to the site. Long gone now, I haven't seen a recent forum yet that doesn't spam from the top down.

I'll donate my advice ok, since that will have far more weight than your precious money.

Respect your members, for without them there would be no forum, do note that sometimes the 'Forum' owners will need to pay for this right. Keep up the good work.

p.s. I understand that this topic concluded with a thanks (to donators only) But since its still open I was sure that donators and free posters alike were allowed to reply.

p.p.s Donations are member's choice not obligation? As Homer Simpson once said, Look boy its 'voluntary' donation, oh yeah I'll do that! Ha Ha Ha

Participation is always welcome and it is completely your choice whether or not you wish to donate. Many regular posters here do not donate, and some who do. The choice is yours. No one is going to pressure you other than someone like me posting encouragement in a post like this that you are welcome to read or ignore as you wish.