Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
TLDR and I would change

TLDR

and I would change "theist" to "humans" in regards to not recognizing their own inconsistencies.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course we all

Of course we all inconsistent to some extent, but Theism itself is manifestly internally inconsistent as a belief system - that is the point.

It isn't the only one, but it is probably the most widely accepted category of such inconsistent systems of belief. And some shades of Theism are less inconsistent, usually the less they claim as fact, the less they offend logic and reason.

The older practices are generally better, in that they are closer to their roots in their experience of the natural world.

The further you go along the path from those initial intuitions, the further you get from any reality, IMHO.

They share that with any non-empirically based system, especially once you break down the barriers of logic by allowing for the supernatural in its fullest sense.

The longer the chain of 'reasoning' between any testing against reality, the more the inevitable slippages in even the most rigorous reasoning will occur, and with each such slippage, any remaining connection with whatever observations and valid feelings it was based on continues to fray.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Its Long,

Rich Woods wrote:

Its Long, but I hope you like it: http://richwoodsblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/the-premise-of-faith/

I liked it.

A few places could do with a bit of proof-reading... I should have thought to note them. I am sensitive to this as much from my own posting as anything else.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Bob... Very

Thanks Bob... Very appreciated, sir....  Yeah, I don't really proof my blogs like I should... I will probably post this on a few article sites, and scrutinize it better... I was just annoyed at some of the things I was readng on Facebook and hammered it out...hahahaha