Going to Church Can Make You Fat

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline

I know when I was young and was dragged to church I was bored out of my mind and being threaten with hell freaked me out. Eating was a way to forget.

================

Regular worshippers are 50% more likely to be obese by middle age

Going to church may be good for a person's soul - but it is not so beneficial for their waistline, it has been claimed.

U.S. researchers say Sunday worship can be just bad for your health as burgers and chips.

Experts at a Chicago university found those who worship regularly were 50 per cent more likely to be obese by middle age compared to non-religious people.

They are not quite sure why, though some say that because eating during church services has traditionally been allowed, worshippers were inclined to munch their way through the sermon.

The study into obesity and churtchgoing was led by Matthew Feinstein, a fourth-year student at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

It looked at the lives of 2,433 people in Chicago, Minneapolis, Birmingham, Alabama and Oakland, California.

He said: 'We don’t know why frequent religious participation is associated with development of obesity, but the upshot of these findings highlight a group that could benefit from targeted efforts at obesity prevention.

'It’s possible that getting together once a week and associating good works and happiness with eating unhealthy foods could lead to the development of habits that are associated with greater body weight and obesity.'

Some church-goers believe there might be a historical link between tucking into too many burgers and praising the Lord.

Courtney Parker, the catering manager for the 20,000-member Apostolic Church of God in Woodlawn, told the Sun Times, in the past, church services were long and eating was one of the few things that was not taboo.

He added: 'So the first thing you do is go eat, and then you go to sleep.'

It's not all doom and waist-line gloom though. Mr Feinstein said regular churchgoers smoked less on the whole, lived longer and had a better mental health than those who do not go to church.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369849/Jesus-make-fat-researchers-say--burn-spot-pole-dancing-Texas.html#ixzz1Hc7kxIJb

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I haven't seen you around

I haven't seen you around lately dude... I'm not sure how valid the data is, but just about everything makes you fat nowadays... Anything that doesn't involve exercise, while adding to the emotional load cannot be good for your weight.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rather ironic for a religion

Rather ironic for a religion that teaches the virtures of fasting and self control.

But religion attracts people with a need for comfort from food or an invisible friend.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Going to Church Can

Quote:

Correlation=/=causation

Quote:

It's not all doom and waist-line gloom though. Mr Feinstein said regular churchgoers smoked less on the whole, lived longer and had a better mental health than those who do not go to church.

Correlation=/=causation

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Perhaps we should stop

Perhaps we should stop giving food to churches.

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Perhaps we should stop giving food to churches.

Oh snap!

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi X

Hi X,

Being an atheist gives you a fat smooth brain. As smooth as butter, and makes you gutless with zero courage. The reason why is modern atheists don't stand for something. They are all like my mother-in law, constantly complaining about everything with no substance.

Though Pentecostal Black churches usually involve a highly intense workout. So you must define what church you're talking about.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
@OP: OMG, this explains

@OP:

OMG, this explains everything.  Now I have another reason to hate God!  :P

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.