lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
So for anyone who doesn't

So for anyone who doesn't get the joke. 

It's either this:

or this:  <EMBED src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx5PrAlUdY">

Both of which are funny in their own right.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Are you Romanian? 

Are you Romanian? 

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 oh, I get it now... the

oh, I get it now... the post titles... never mind.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I thought she was romanian

I thought she was romanian because the title of the post was in romanian... I know about that stupid song because they play it at every romanian party I go to.  I should also mention that I am a born and raised romanian.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Ah! so you know what is

Ah! so you know what is actually going on in that song. Wow!

I have only read translations. Which are either literal or trying to render it in English. Neither of which are capable of matching the actual music.

In an internet enabled world, I should probably learn Romanian so that I can actually follow what is going on there.

Edit:  So if that is played all the time, would it have some cultural equivalence to songs that we play all the time at parties such as the Macarena or YMCA?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I have only read translations. Which are either literal or trying to render it in English. Neither of which are capable of matching the actual music.

In an internet enabled world, I should probably learn Romanian so that I can actually follow what is going on there.

Edit:  So if that is played all the time, would it have some cultural equivalence to songs that we play all the time at parties such as the Macarena or YMCA?

Yup, more like Macarena because I find it more annoying than the YMCA, as for the translation... it makes very little sense in Romanian, so I wouldn't bother.

The title for example is dragostea din tei, it translates 'love from the linden'.  Which alludes/touches on a classic early poem 'Pupaza din tei' by Ion Creanga.  It's just like every other crappy pop song you hear on the radio.  The lyrics are chosen because they rhyme not because they make sense.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
 Ah! I think I follow you.

Ah! I think I follow you. Would it be like the 80's pop crap then?

Don't get me wrong here. There is plenty of 80's music that stands the test of time but the beginning of MTV is partly in synch with the Reagan economy and all the free money that was going around. This led to lots of bad music with good videos and good music with poor videos.

As an example I would suggest Buster Poindexter. As a musician myself, I have no beef with the people who were making the music behind him. They knew the craft well enough but he was out front and what he did had little value.

Edit: From wikipedia

Quote:
The song was later covered in 1987 by David Johansen in his Buster Poindexter persona and released as the first single from his album Buster Poindexter. It garnered extensive airplay through radio, MTV, and other television appearances.

In an interview on National Public Radio, Johansen called the tune "the bane of my existence," owing to its pervasive popularity as a karaoke and wedding song. The Johansen version of the song has long served as the opening theme for Jimmy Buffett's concert appearances.

In the extended mix, which is often played at pool parties, Buster Poindexter says the word "Hot" a staggering 137 times.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)