Hallo!

mynameinc
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hallo!

Fellow atheists, I am mynameinc.  I am a high school student.  Let me explain my high school and community:

*I know of three atheist students out of ~1000.  The rest are Christians.

*One atheist teacher out of ~80.  The rest are Christians.

*This is an extremely conservative part of the nation.  If I mention that I watch CNN, I am immediately looked down upon.

*Fundamentalist Protestantism is the norm, not the exception.

*This town's version of the Church of God is a cult.  Even the other fundies think so.  They speak in tongues virtually every service and use faith healing instead of medicine.

*All of the aforementioned denominations cram their respective dogma down your throat at every given chance.

*We have three Bio teachers.  The atheist teacher is the only one who teaches evolution like it should be.   Another one slants it, and the other refuses to teach it at all.

*I am a (self-declared) Militant Atheist.  This brings me much harassment from students and occasionally teachers.  I don't care.

*Of my friends, three support my atheism.  Two are the aforementioned freethinkers.

*Superstition is rampant, beyond the religion.  One day, a CoG member used pallomancy to predict sexes of future children, and it was immediately hailed as true.

*To these people, the Bible is the only science book.

I'm open for questions.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Sounds like you

Welcome

Sounds like you have your head on straight.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum. I can

Welcome to the forum. I can identify with your area.  I was one of a handfull of atheist in my school as well.  Caught a lot of grief over it, but it only made me stronger watching how hypocritical they all were.

You will find the posts awesome.

Don't mind Jean Chauvin.......he will remind you of the people you are currently around allready.....just in a sociopathic way.

mr. O

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in Portland, OR - where

I'm in Portland, OR - where bumper stickers say "Keep Portland Weird" and a lot of people try to live up to them.  But just about 10 miles south is a bunch of nutters who believe in "faith healing".  They have had so many children die in their community that OR made a law - if your child dies, you can be prosecuted for murder and a couple of them have wound up in jail.  They seem to be getting the message as there haven't been reports recently of any deaths due to child neglect.

It is strange - I really am an old lady fart.  Well, it feels strange to be an old lady, but what is also strange is when I went to high school, no one gave a damn if you went to church or not.  Or which church.  Now --- all I'm hoping for is people will see the light and get a clue.  Probably a forlorn hope at this point in some areas.

But welcome and have fun hanging out.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

mynameinc
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:But just about 10

cj wrote:

But just about 10 miles south is a bunch of nutters who believe in "faith healing".  They have had so many children die in their community that OR made a law - if your child dies, you can be prosecuted for murder and a couple of them have wound up in jail.

I support this.  I know people whose children haven't been vaccinated because of religion.

Thanks for the welcomes!  I think I'll enjoy it here.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

Hey CJ, I'm from Portland. I grew up there all my life. Perhaps I shall drop by and say hi sometime? Powell's book store ever heard of it.

Hey OP, there are many CoG churches, (around 200). The one  you are part of is indeed a cult. But logically speaking, just because they misrepresent Christianity, you ought not react to a false portrayer of the truth.

Actual true Biblical Christianity understands liberty. You can drink beer and dance. You can even watch movies.

Anyway, it sounds like you are merely a punk kid rebelling against authority. Why not read the Bible and refute the CoG on Biblical grounds like I have instead of becoming an absurd wannabe atheist (there's no such thing as an atheist) that has nothing to do but accumlate logical fallacies as the days go by.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hello,Hey

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Hey CJ, I'm from Portland. I grew up there all my life. Perhaps I shall drop by and say hi sometime? Powell's book store ever heard of it.

Hey OP, there are many CoG churches, (around 200). The one  you are part of is indeed a cult. But logically speaking, just because they misrepresent Christianity, you ought not react to a false portrayer of the truth.

Actual true Biblical Christianity understands liberty. You can drink beer and dance. You can even watch movies.

Anyway, it sounds like you are merely a punk kid rebelling against authority. Why not read the Bible and refute the CoG on Biblical grounds like I have instead of becoming an absurd wannabe atheist (there's no such thing as an atheist) that has nothing to do but accumlate logical fallacies as the days go by.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

...and this is Jean, our pet troll.

If he starts humping your leg, it's best just to let him.

mynameinc
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hello, Anonymouse!

Hello, Anonymouse!

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome to the forum

welcome to the forum

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum dude! I've always been an atheist, so school was shitty, but growing up in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area) it was never too bad. I had the few friends who I couldn't hang out with as a kid, not like we listened, and dealt with getting ganged up on violently since I stood up against the asshat jocks and the rest of the dicks when they tried to pick on me or the other non-plastic people. I can feel you on how teachers biases can come into the classroom and distort the science, I used to get into trouble in class for correcting my teachers. They cursed the day I got my hands on the books "Lies my teachers told me" and "A People's History of the United States", not to mention many other books pertaining to history and science. It was eventually going to happen, as the home library was epic.

Just know that, as you're in high school, you only have a couple of more years before you can get the fuck out and move to saner climes. I have less fundies of the "Holy" Babble variety to deal with here and more of the New Agers, which is just as annoying.

I hope you enjoy your time here. And remember, don't feed the trolls after midnight! ;D

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hello,Hey

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

So Jesus was a frat boy? "WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR? HELL NO, AND IT AIN'T OVER NOW"

So at the "real" last supper there wasn't bread and wine, it was beer bongs stale pizza?

Now that's the way you make a sales pitch. Certainly better(still just as absurd) but certainly better than "I'm going to kick your ass"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

The Batlord
atheist
The Batlord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Actual

Jean Chauvin wrote:

REALLY?! I can even watch movies?! I can't do that with atheism! Oh wait...

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mynameinc

Welcome to the site. Can you tell us more about where your living, I'm in Canada myself, near Toronto.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! College is much

Welcome! College is much better (especially b/c you can essentially choose where you go).

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, mynameincWelcome to the

Hi, mynameinc

Welcome to the forum.

Excuse me for a minute...

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Actual true Biblical Christianity understands liberty.

It's funny how you've begun using the word 'liberty' after I brought it up a few threads ago, instead of your usual 'free will' holy babble...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
You can drink beer and dance.

Meh....that's not as fun as drinking beer, while a woman dances naked for her pleasure in sexually arousing you...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
You can even watch movies.

Meh....I can make movies with the naked girl after we've both had something to drink...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Anyway, it sounds like you are merely a punk kid rebelling against authority.

I think you need to not use words like 'liberty' when you don't understand them Jean Jean.

Now, back to your room, before your parents find out that you're on the computer, and not studying for your spelling bee...

Jean Chauvin wrote:
Why not read the Bible  

Because he's 'free' to do what he wants, and can have some beers, with a girl and make movies, instead.

Or anything else he wants.

That's the 'freedom' that comes with 'liberty'.

The 'pursuit of happiness'.  

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris