Atheists: Take part in a study about stigma and secularism

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists: Take part in a study about stigma and secularism

If you have the time to support this research (only about 30min), then please do. IMHO, the more research we can support in identifying the significant differences secularists have to deal with on a day to day basis, the more public awareness will raise, and the less threatening words like 'secular', 'atheist', etc. will become. Part of carving out your place in society is speaking up and proclaiming who you are.

Of course, the survey is anonymous, and it is run by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Take the National Secular Survey here

Note: This was also promoted on Richard Dawkins' site.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I just took the survey and

[*** SPOILERS BELOW *** Please take the survey before reading comments about it, if you intend to take it. Reading commentary can subtly bias one's response, and it can invalidate the study's data. -- Mod edit 'natural']

I just took the survey and found it interesting the bias in the questions themselves. Particularly 

survey wrote:

What best describes your belief about the bible?

Literal truth and word of God

Divinely inspired word of Gaod

Book of stories with a good message

Book of stories with little value

Just a book of stories-neutral about its value

Other/Don't Know

No option for "Book of stories with detrimental value"? I was forced to choose "other" which also includes me with the don't know crowd. Which can then be easily interpreted as "Well these people don't know their opinion on the bible so they must not have read it." Whoever wrote the questions seems to be assuming that if that bible has any value it is good. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Yea,

[*** SPOILERS BELOW *** Please take the survey before reading comments about it, if you intend to take it. Reading commentary can subtly bias one's response, and it can invalidate the study's data. -- Mod edit 'natural']

Yea, I dislike surveys like this.  I filled it out, but there are always questions that don't have any good answer.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
[*** SPOILERS BELOW ***

[*** SPOILERS BELOW *** Please take the survey before reading comments about it, if you intend to take it. Reading commentary can subtly bias one's response, and it can invalidate the study's data.]

Yeah, guys, I had similar issues, like the detrimental value thing. However, the best way to respond to that is to send constructive feedback to the study's author. That's what I did, actually. I mentioned the problem with the Bible question; it was the main reason I sent the feedback. The intro page lists this contact information:

Quote:
You may ask any questions concerning this research before agreeing to participate in the study. You may call the investigator at any time, office phone, (402) 472-3631. If you have questions concerning your rights as a research subject that have not been answered by the investigator, you may contact the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Institutional Review Board, telephone (402) 472-6965.

Name and Phone number of investigator(s)   Christopher R.H. Garneau, M.A., Principal Investigator Office: (402) 472-3631   Philip Schwadel, Ph.D., Project Advisor                          Office: (402) 472-6008 For technical questions or assistance contact the Bureau of Sociological Research at [email protected] or 1-800-480-4549

I actually sent my response to that email address at the bottom, asking them to forward it to the principal investigator, since there's no way I'm going to call long distance.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I took it and when it asked

I took it and when it asked where you were from, it only had US states.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I took

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I took it and when it asked where you were from, it only had US states.

Yeah, me too. I also commented about that in my email, saying I hoped they wouldn't just dump non-US respondents' data, but would perhaps make use of it somehow. Haven't got any reply yet.

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
I took the survey without

I took the survey without reading comments and as of this posting I still haven't read anyone else's comments.

Usually my gripe with surveys are the wording of questions and the answer choices available. Many of the questions didn't have enough answer choices.

The bible question forced me either say the bible is awesome and the word of God or is was nuetral, wtf? Can't I say the bible is negative?

The question on political affiliation was a scale from very liberal to very conservative? The fuck, politics is not a sliding scale, no option for independent?

The definition of secular was...strange, it included non-religious people with supernatural beliefs? How is that secular?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
lalib wrote:I took the

lalib wrote:

I took the survey without reading comments and as of this posting I still haven't read anyone else's comments.

Usually my gripe with surveys are the wording of questions and the answer choices available. Many of the questions didn't have enough answer choices.

The bible question forced me either say the bible is awesome and the word of God or is was nuetral, wtf? Can't I say the bible is negative?

The question on political affiliation was a scale from very liberal to very conservative? The fuck, politics is not a sliding scale, no option for independent?

The definition of secular was...strange, it included non-religious people with supernatural beliefs? How is that secular?

Yea, that was a bit weird...including hippies.

On the other hand, they it might be interesting to compare the data for hippies to atheists.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.