A theory predicts believers will extinct.

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
A theory predicts believers will extinct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811197

I am so glad that this is already at the level of short-term predictions.  Maybe my grandkids will live in a religion-free society.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
and I happen to live...

...in none of those place... sigh...

The sad thing is that here in the states, many of the extreme fringe elements in the religious community would try and start another civil war before seeing 'Merika go the way of a non-religious country.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
The article didn't mention a

The article didn't mention a non-belief in god...only a decline in religious affiliation.

I wouldn't get excited just yet.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agreed

Religion will slowly become extinct,  in the U.S.of A. slower then other countrys. It is up to us as atheists to make it as acceptable as possible for average people to admit that they don't really believe.  The more people being more honest will end religion far faster.

There will always be fringe religios, weak willed individuals following some charismatic nutcase [David Koresh, Jim Jones] but they will become more marginalized and maybe even illeagal in a more rational society.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Seems pretty neat. Although

Seems pretty neat. Although in Holland we are getting a lot of immigrants, so the statistics are going to be wrong, since most of them want to stay muslim and don't want to become atheists.

Also, bi66er, they only predicted it for those countries, because they had proper surveys for a century. The same trend may be there in other places, too.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems plausible here in

Seems plausible here in Australia.

It's not so much a 'theory' predicting this, it is a particular mathematical model which seems to have been shown to fairly accurately match the statistics from various different countries. By using the model to predict how trends are likely to move in the future, it suggests that in those societies attachment to established religious will continue to decrease.

I don't see it as a theory, explaining why individuals join or leave religions, for example, so much as an analysis finding strong correlations, patterns, in the behaviour of various groups, by looking at particular statistics.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology