Hi

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Young, ex-fundie Baptist from the Bible Belt. Have been religion-free for about 3 years now and am loving it, but too many people around this neck of the woods still freak out when you tell them you're not a Christian (even if all "being a Christian" means to them is owning a Bible and going to church ever few weeks when they aren't getting drunk with their friends). I'm hoping this site will get me somewhere to vent and talk with like-minded people without getting into some huge unwanted religious debate just for being honest and saying "I'm not a Christian."

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, find some topics

Welcome, find some topics that interest you and jump in. I live in the bible belt as well, an an ex-minister and an activist against religion.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Welcome, find

TGBaker wrote:

Welcome, find some topics that interest you and jump in. I live in the bible belt as well, an an ex-minister and an activist against religion.

Wow that's an interesting story. What made you leave your ministry?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome and congratulations

on your recovery - we have a bunch of former fundies to play with and some mad theists whose ravings justify our unbelief. It's very refreshing.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Wow that's an interesting story. What made you leave your ministry?

My track was actually biblical studies and theology. 4 years of Greek and analysis of the New Testament was enough to conclude the fabrication of the gospels and the invalidity of theological claims. I went on to do historical Jesus studies and philosophy.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome

welcome