God Haters, misotheism, the theists that need the spot light.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
God Haters, misotheism, the theists that need the spot light.

Not to be confused to with atheists, misotheists, are theists that believe in God, and hate his guts.  There is an article on CNN regarding this.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/08/my-take-why-some-people-hate-god/?hpt=C2

If you don't want to read it here are a few quotes:

Quote:

No, I’m not talking about atheists. Non-believers may say contemptuous things about God, but when they do so, they are simply giving the thumbs-down to a fictional character. They may as well express dislike about Shakespeare’s devious Iago, Dickens’ scheming Uriah Heep or Dr. Seuss’ Grinch who stole Christmas.

For atheists, God is in the same category as these fictional villains. Except that since God is the most popular of all fictional villains, New Atheists – those evangelizing ones such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins - spend a considerable amount of energy enumerating his flaws.

But someone who truly believes in God’s existence and yet hates or scorns him is in a state of religious rebellion so perplexing as to strain our common understanding of faith to the breaking point.

Although these radical dissenters could steal the thunder from the New Atheists, they have remained almost unknown to date.

Quote:

Literature offered them the only outlet to vent their rage against God. And it was a pretty safe haven for doing so. Indeed, hardly anybody seems to notice when God-hatred is expressed in literature. Such writers cleverly “package” their blasphemous thoughts in works of literature without seeming to give offense in any overt way.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
That's pretty cool God did

That's pretty cool Laughing out loud
God did fuck up the world quite badly, so misotheism is a more logical position that ass-licking theism.
I also saw some statistics on how many people believed in hell, and how many people believed they were going there. Only a couple out of a thousand or something. Those people are either emo/goth kind of people or misotheists...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I can understand that, the

I can understand that, the God character is a prick.

Honestly though I'm a bit surprised.  If I believed some force had the power to bless or damn my consciousness for eternity I'd probably do whatever the hell it wanted me too whether I liked it or not.

So from that perspective, I guess I'd have to say I'm impressed with someone's nerve if they believe in the Christian God but tell It to bugger off.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I can

mellestad wrote:

I can understand that, the God character is a prick.

Honestly though I'm a bit surprised.  If I believed some force had the power to bless or damn my consciousness for eternity I'd probably do whatever the hell it wanted me too whether I liked it or not.

So from that perspective, I guess I'd have to say I'm impressed with someone's nerve if they believe in the Christian God but tell It to bugger off.

I know what you mean, that's why I thought it was interesting.  I was hoping the article would reveal more, but it's just a plug for a book, not even sure how that would work psychologically.  These people would have to have some serious issues with authority. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well then, Hitchens is the

Well then, Hitchens is the misotheists best friend!

"It is the wish to be a slave, it is the desire that there be an unalterable, unchallengeable, tyrannical authority,
who can convict you of thought crime while you are asleep": 
  Christopher Hitchens

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris