We want our country back, and we'll fight for it...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
We want our country back, and we'll fight for it...

Sounds like they want to create a Christian uprising. And this guy is supposed to be some kind of comedian.

Quote:
But, I say there's a whole bunch of people like us; Who aren't going away; And want our country back; And we'll fight for it. : Brad Stine

So, they want to try and stir up a rebellion by force, and try and convert America from a secular government, into a Christian theocracy?

Has any one heard of this clown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyKAr-gxxFE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
He's pretty scary. His hair

He's pretty scary. His hair reminds me of batman's joker.
Why did Anthony Flew change his opinion? Didn't he know that fundamentalists would use it against education? A philosopher convinced by a scientific hypothesis, is that even legal?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Don't care about Anthony

Don't care about Anthony Flew.

He became a deist.

The theists have to grapple with Mother Teresa's confessions, that she never actually had a sincere 'faith'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMVVJrWYMzo&feature=related

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote: Don't care

redneF wrote:

Don't care about Anthony Flew.

He became a deist.

The theists have to grapple with Mother Teresa's confessions, that she never actually had a sincere 'faith'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMVVJrWYMzo&feature=related

If I remember correctly the alleged Flew conversion, was sold after his mental state had gotten worse due to health problems and the book was a ghost writer who put Flew's name on it. So his entire "conversion" is suspect.

This is a famous tactic theist have used. Many claim Tomas Edison and Darwin had a deathbed conversions.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watch the video I posted of

Watch the video I posted of Bill Donahue become completely unglued, after the truth about Mother Teresa, and start taunting Hitchens with 'Let's step outside', threats...

Ya, theists are 'rational'...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote:Watch the video

redneF wrote:

Watch the video I posted of Bill Donahue become completely unglued, after the truth about Mother Teresa, and start taunting Hitchens with 'Let's step outside', threats...

Ya, theists are 'rational'...

"COLONEL JESSUP, DID YOU ORDER THE ZOMBIE GOD MYTH?"

"YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID. As a believer you have no idea what it takes to twist one's mind to believe this crap. You want me to play martyr, you need me to play martyr. As a believer we use debunked claims like "virgin birth" and YEC, you use them as a punchline. I'd rather you simply leave me with my delusion and say thank you. Either way I don't give a damn how stupid my claims are. "

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
I just watched the video and

I just watched the video and thought that guy was hilarious. What I can't understand is what was his point about the guy who changed his mind. That doesnt seem like a logical conclusion to just think it didn't happen by chancetherfore some kind of mind how did that mind come into existence.Chance isn't  even the right word to use there clearly he wasn't very intelligent and isn't intelligent design theory a joke. I thought they didn't teach it because there was no science behind it. If they did teach it the students would probably see right through it.

Whats up with bill donuhue he keeps saying you have to be quite when an irishman speaks?He doesnt seem to be all the way there.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 You're right, it's an

You're right, it's an argument from authority, and a bad one at that, as Brian pointed out, Flew had decreased mental capacity by that time.

Point is, it's completely irrelevant to an atheists.  I don't hold on to my views because I have been told to by others.  I do so because it is the only thing that makes sense.  If 'The Four Horsemen' (Harris, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens) all converted tomorrow, without any evidence, I would simply laugh at them.  It wouldn't change my mind in the slightest, I would be curious but I would just think it was a money grab.  We're all humans after all.  The same with the death bed conversions.  The emotional stress, potential physical pain, coupled with the fear of impeding death far outweighs rationale.  It's not proof of anything other than the fact that death makes reactions unpredictable.  The fact is if you were a christian your whole life, and on your death bed you were surrounded by muslims and an Allamah telling you that Allah is the one true god, you will most likely convert in your feeble state of mind. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Ktulu wrote: You're right,

Ktulu wrote:

You're right, it's an argument from authority, and a bad one at that, as Brian pointed out, Flew had decreased mental capacity by that time.

Point is, it's completely irrelevant to an atheists.  I don't hold on to my views because I have been told to by others.  I do so because it is the only thing that makes sense.  If 'The Four Horsemen' (Harris, Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens) all converted tomorrow, without any evidence, I would simply laugh at them.  It wouldn't change my mind in the slightest, I would be curious but I would just think it was a money grab.  We're all humans after all.  The same with the death bed conversions.  The emotional stress, potential physical pain, coupled with the fear of impeding death far outweighs rationale.  It's not proof of anything other than the fact that death makes reactions unpredictable.  The fact is if you were a christian your whole life, and on your death bed you were surrounded by muslims and an Allamah telling you that Allah is the one true god, you will most likely convert in your feeble state of mind. 

I've made this point too. If Dawkins came out tomorrow and said, "I now believe in the God of Jesus", My inclinations would be he suffered some brain disease or sudden extreme emotional stress. BUT, even if that were not the case, he would still be subject to the same universal scientific method he used while an atheist.

All it would mean is that he changed his position.

People all over the world change their minds on all sorts of issues all the time in both directions. You still only have one universal method to filter out personal bias.

I left belief in god behind, because when compared to real things we use to measure the world around us, it just simply became obvious to me that it was nothing more than wishful thinking.

It would not be out of the question for me to change my mind because I have not lived my entire future yet. But armed with what I know now the only way I see that happening, right now, is if something happened mentally to me.

But knowing that these fantastic stories were written in an ignorant age, and that we have much better data now, makes it tough, if not impossible for me to swallow this crap. I would have to suffer some mental illness or disease or emotional stress on an extreme level.

The idea that the universe and life in it was the result of a non material being is absurd and is simply the result of our species not outgrowing superstition.

The much more rational explanation for why people believe false things is because they falsely equate a pattern as being true, more than they default to testing a pattern to see if it really has credibility.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone's shitting their pants, again

"...want 'UNDER GOD' taken out of the pledge of allegiance"

Well, numbnuts, it was only added in there because of the perceived threat of (Soviet-brand)communism in the mid 50s.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I'm Canadian and we're

I'm Canadian and we're guilty of our own idiotic politico-traditions.  I would feel uncomfortable pledging UNDER GOD all the time though... sort of has a tribal feel to it, reeks of false hope and discrimination. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:And this guy is

redneF wrote:

And this guy is supposed to be some kind of comedian.

You don't think so? I really thought he was a funny sort of person...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Ktulu

Brian37 wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

I've made this point too. If Dawkins came out tomorrow and said, "I now believe in the God of Jesus", My inclinations would be he suffered some brain disease or sudden extreme emotional stress. BUT, even if that were not the case, he would still be subject to the same universal scientific method he used while an atheist.

All it would mean is that he changed his position.

People all over the world change their minds on all sorts of issues all the time in both directions. You still only have one universal method to filter out personal bias.

I left belief in god behind, because when compared to real things we use to measure the world around us, it just simply became obvious to me that it was nothing more than wishful thinking.

It would not be out of the question for me to change my mind because I have not lived my entire future yet. But armed with what I know now the only way I see that happening, right now, is if something happened mentally to me.

But knowing that these fantastic stories were written in an ignorant age, and that we have much better data now, makes it tough, if not impossible for me to swallow this crap. I would have to suffer some mental illness or disease or emotional stress on an extreme level.

The idea that the universe and life in it was the result of a non material being is absurd and is simply the result of our species not outgrowing superstition.

The much more rational explanation for why people believe false things is because they falsely equate a pattern as being true, more than they default to testing a pattern to see if it really has credibility.

Even though we should put that option out there I doubt even severe emotional stress could overpower the rationale part of your mind to actually believe it. Sure you might utter those words to other people but you could never force you mind to believe something you either believe it or you don't its not a choice. Your right if dawkins converted he has either suffered an illness(not sure what illness causes religious bellief lol) or has been somehow had his brain controlled by fundies to lead the atheist community to reconsider.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:redneF

Kapkao wrote:

redneF wrote:

And this guy is supposed to be some kind of comedian.

You don't think so? I really thought he was a funny sort of person...

Well, Tom Cruise makes me laugh too, but, I ain't laughing wit him, yanno?...

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: I'm Canadian

Ktulu wrote:

I'm Canadian and we're guilty of our own idiotic politico-traditions.  I would feel uncomfortable pledging UNDER GOD all the time though... sort of has a tribal feel to it, reeks of false hope and discrimination. 

Actually, I always thought the entire idea of a pledge of allegiance reeked of authoritarianism. Whether god is included or not, your not going to catch me pledging my allegiance to any flag or government. The only place I've actually seen the pledge of allegiance is in elementary school and republican meetings. The former rather comparable to the Soviet style indoctrination they criticize and the latter a bunch of hyper-patriots trying to prove how much they love the country, usually with little to no concept of what liberty truly is.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X