Real life moral decision...

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Real life moral decision...

Something happened to me today and I thought I should share it with you. 

Someone owns me money, for more than a year now. The situation is getting tense. I have a feeling that this person is mocking me. Despite my mounting efforts to claim this money, this person keeps postponing payment.

In an urge of rage, today, I thought that I should do something drastic, like break a window or scratch this person's car. However this thought went away as soon as I remember that I should live up to what I believe, if I really do. That is I should be patient and loving towards others even when others are not like that to me. I believe in an eternal, transcendent, loving and strong connection between all humans, thus I know that with a loving attitude sooner or later, even after death love will win. In the big picture this will just be a petty claim and will be a terrifying situation for this person when she realizes that she was not honest. In the end my loving attitude will bring both of us growth. If I acted upon the rage I would have created nothing more than help breaking this loving bond of humanity.

I don't have many doubts that if I uphold the existential nihilism like a hardcore atheist, I would have done it. I would have scratched this person’s car thoroughly…

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
BardlishtheMagnifico's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is a reflection on

That is a reflection on you, not on atheism (or theism.)

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Loaning money to people

Loaning money to people who are friends or family is dicey at best. Generally, I only loan money to people I like with the idea that I will never be paid back and am pleasantly surprised when they do pay me back. I only loan large amounts of money to people I could happily live my life without or people I have loaned smaller amounts in the past but were really good at paying me back. 

Generally a polite yet persistent effort to get the money back is my first option. Rage is only useful when you have decided that the money is more important than whatever relationship you have with the person. Even then, unless you get into some real threats, rage is unlikely to get your money back and might cost you substantially more in legal consequences. Sometimes, it is best to simply write the money off as a gift and in the future don't loan money to this person without a contract and an interest rate.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
True this is a reflection

True this is a reflection upon me. But I think this is an example that, logically speaking, being an unbeliever in the afterlife as opposed to a believer has consequences on moral choices.

I regret to inform that I feel much better the way I think than to believe in the ugly and sad existential nihilism...

I agree with Beyond Saving. But let me clarify. I lent money to this person when she was in much need, she asked me directly and I accepted, knowing the risks. With the promise of payback ASAP. I took pity.

Since then my daily relationship with this person is practically nonexistent much because she avoids me and I keep other companies...

I will keep lending money to other people despite this. I believe I should help others whenever I can. Of course I do this with some reasonable assurance that I would be payed back.

However in a moral nihilist perspective I know I could have acted upon the rage and that wouldn't have any moral value. I also know I wouldn’t get into any trouble with the law by scratching the car. Maybe I wouldn't have lend the money in the first place! Again another neutral attitude in a nihilist point of view.

In theory I can imagine a nihilist killing someone for the money and living large with that stolen money, thinking he did well... since there is no fundamental right or wrong.

From a broader nihilist perspective I think one should, openly, do everything to uphold the law and good values that promote law, order and general wellbeing. Covertly, however, and individually one should do everything that makes one's life better... and anything goes... as long as you don’t get caught.

Well I hope you don't agree with me and keep being "good" atheists even in secret. 

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
You are making some pretty

You are making some pretty strong assumptions about the nature of morality. 

I can certainly imagine  a sociopath having no problem with murder but morality is an innate characteristic in humans.  (Read "Moral Minds", a good bit of info on the study of morality...I am not all the way through it myself but Dennett was calling me...).  We have a basline morality hardwired in and our cultural indoctrinations builds on and is informed by it. 

It really isn't a big surprise that you would not place a significant degree of weight on scratching his car.  It is a very big leap from scratching a car to killing someone and living off their stolen goods.  The only way what you are saying would work is if the morality is completely dependant on the faith for its existance, which is patently absurd and can be demonstrate to be wrong by simply looking at humans practicing opposing faiths and observing their moral behaviors.  This leaves you in the solidly deistic place of allowing that morality is innate.  Once morality is innate, the practical observer can see no difference between divinely inspired morality and innate morality.  It is, once again, the job of the theist to demonstrate the evidence of a supernatural origin. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lteIF_AGKro

Wisdom lies not in thinking outside the box. Wisdom is the realization that there is no box. Truth and reality extend as far as the eye can see and infinitely further.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I dunno, maybe you're a

I dunno, maybe you're a psychopath?

Seriously though, I think you just have not put thought into secular moral systems, or what the actual implications of what you are saying are.

So, a test.  If what you are saying was the case for most people, a loss of religion in society would result in an increase of crime, right?  Easy to check, what do we find?  Less religion correlates with lower crime.

People need to be moral to share a society.  If everyone went wild as soon as they weren't under scrutiny, nothing would survive, we'd never make it out of the stone age.  If being a moral person, in general, is an important concept to your self identity then you will follow your moral laws even when no-one knows but you.  If it isn't, well, then I hope you never become an atheist.  *shrug*

I'm never sure whether to be amused, insulted or horrified when people say the only thing keeping them from turning into amoral monsters is the looming threat of eternal damnation.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I actually wrote a blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:From a broader

Teralek wrote:

From a broader nihilist perspective I think one should, openly, do everything to uphold the law and good values that promote law, order and general wellbeing. Covertly, however, and individually one should do everything that makes one's life better... and anything goes... as long as you don’t get caught.

You should do everything to make your life better, but does harming other people make your life better? I do not believe it does in most cases. Just because you do not believe in a fundamental right and wrong does not mean you lose all empathy for fellow humans. You still feel guilty when you cause harm to someone who doesn't deserve it and sometimes even if they do deserve it. Guilt is not a particularly fun feeling to live with, so if your goal is to live a better life, avoiding feeling guilty is probably a good way to go.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The voice in your head that

The voice in your head that tells you not to do something bad is called the über-ich. Something every human possesses.
Believers attribute their good actions to their belief, which isn't always accurate, they would have done the same without their beliefs.
An existentialist isn't amoral. They believe that your freedom is limited by the freedom of others. The freedom to have an unscratched car for example Laughing out loud

Anyway. Why we behave morally, is for different reasons. Not for a ticket for an afterlife, at least.
Some do it for goodness sake (because we are, in essence, good). Some do it because they want mankind to become better.

benmcd
atheist
benmcd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me get this straight.

Let me get this straight. You said:

Teralek wrote:

I lent money to this person when she was in much need, she asked me directly and I accepted, knowing the risks. With the promise of payback ASAP. I took pity.

Since then my daily relationship with this person is practically nonexistent much because she avoids me and I keep other companies...

I will keep lending money to other people despite this. I believe I should help others whenever I can. Of course I do this with some reasonable assurance that I would be payed back.

But you also said:

Teralek wrote:

Someone owns me money, for more than a year now. The situation is getting tense. I have a feeling that this person is mocking me. Despite my mounting efforts to claim this money, this person keeps postponing payment.

In an urge of rage, today, I thought that I should do something drastic, like break a window or scratch this person's car.

What happened? How could you go from knowing the risks and taking pity to feeling rage for not getting paid back? Perhaps you should not "keep lending money to other people despite this."

As an aside, you should never expect payment back when you loan someone, especially friends or family, money. It makes things much simpler. You may have to be persistent in keeping the friendship, because they may feel guilty or something, but if you never expect repayment, then you can still have a relationship.

It's easy to say that the problem here is that you're a bad person, because a good person would not feel that way whether an atheist or a theist. But I think it's much simpler than that. There are two reasons I don't think this makes you a bad person: First, you had fleeting anger. Most folks have fleeting anger now and then -- it doesn't mean you really want to do something drastic. There's nothing wrong with blowing things out of proportion in your mind every once in a while, as long as you can keep yourself from acting on it. When I was younger and had less self-control, I would send mean e-mails to friends when I was mad at them. Now I know that I should wait till I cool down. It doesn't hurt to get overly mad now and again, it only hurts to act on it.

Second, and this is a more important point, I think -- you don't know how you would act if you were an atheist. When I was a Christian, I assumed that I would be a bad person if I were an atheist. I assumed that my relationship with Jesus, my prayer life, my Bible study, my fellowship with other believers, my worldview -- I thought that those things kept me from being a bad person. Ironically, the opposite has happened. When I was always praying to keep a cool head and be nice to people, etc., I usually was, but not always. Now that I'm an atheist, I'm actually nicer to people because I want to be -- I'm not just doing it for God, I'm doing it for me and for the other person. That isn't to say that I was mean *because* I was a Christian, nor that I'm nicer because I'm an atheist -- I may have just mellowed out with age. But don't assume that you would be immoral if you were an atheist. I can't speak for anyone else, but it definitely didn't work that way for me.

One other thing -- this topic gets some atheists very angry. I'm not saying that means you shouldn't discuss it, I'm just warning you that if you're ever in a situation where you don't want to anger an atheist, don't bring this up. Many people find it very insulting. I don't, because I know how you feel -- I was there once.

"Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers." -- Stephen Fry

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would only loan money

To people I was related to or who were very close - so close they'd only ask as a last resort. People you don't know well don't have the right to ask for money. I have former housemates who owe me about 8 grand. Yeah. That was a lesson right there.

If you're not comfortable with getting robbed, Tera, don't do it again. As others say - if you loan, be prepared to walk away - so only loan to people you love. If you want to give to charity, give to Doctors Without Borders, not stray leeches. There are people who feed on the instinctively generous.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don’t worry;

Don’t worry; I’m far from becoming a amoral monster. But I might have felt better yesterday if I let my anger out…

I am pleased you don’t agree with me! But, and let’s hope I don’t win this argument…

Let’s concentrate on the philosophical and ethical consequence of conscience continuation after biological death. Let’s assume there is a dualistic mind/matter reality and that we have a very intrinsic loving bond to each other that we aren’t normally aware of. I’m referring to the reports of people who have undergone a near death experience. Because this is what I think it will happen after our biological life ends. Let’s also forget the common notion of “God” we don’t need him in this discussion.

I don’t dispute that empirically theists are at least as bad as atheists in moral terms but that only highlights that there are other things that vastly outweigh people’s decisions on moral decisions. From my experience this is really the case especially on the general population who doesn’t care much about these subjects. Religious beliefs only play a decisive role when they are at the very center of this individual moral code, as in the example of terrorist bombers.

Asserting that theists are also very much amoral doesn’t say nothing about the philosophical claim that a spiritual point of view is ethically better that the atheist point of view. I also want to dismiss much of religious cannon and concentrate on the common message of religion which can be summarized as “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” and that “there is an afterlife”.

Moreover discussing which philosophy has the higher moral ground (existential nihilism or dualistic eternal mind) is trivial unless we solve which one is true without doubt.

Morally speaking you can fit me as much closer to the Baha’I faith.

Hitler was much more an atheist than a theist. I don’t care how much you try to dispute this. I don’t care that the man was baptized. I was also baptized and I am not a catholic! He would gladly used religion to reach his core goals. Hitler was a philosopher, not a religious person. I think the man was a bit psychopath at least… Talking about his religious views is trivial because they were not what moved the man. And this is a point for the argument that you should have a strong loving spiritual core to avoid increasing the probability of having criminal activity.

I know that most people don’t go around committing crimes because we have in our modern society’s means of finding and penalizing criminals and protecting minorities. Have you seen the movie “the Road” (that depressing little pearl… ) ? I don’t think that that was farfetched. Morality is a slippery subject when you change between cultures and scenarios. But a transcendental moral compass can be valuable in stressful situations.

Today the world spins around money and I see many immoral things done by people with a lot of money and many roam freely. They don’t seem to care about the suffering they cause onto others. Truth is money can buy you a conscience, I don’t see the bosses of Nike worried about working conditions in Pakistan. Not unless people with more conscience speak about it and boycott their sales… and if there is nothing to judge you after death and oblivion awaits… why should this person change his attitude?! Bosses of Nike and investors of Wall Street are living grand with a big G… hey if I was a hardcore existential nihilistic person I might do the same! I have no grudge with Nike… it was just an example.

One thing I find clear… power corrupts people. Also I believe that a strong spiritual motivation can prevent this corruption. When one is very powerful the general law doesn’t apply and every whim can be satisfied. On this situations having a core transcendental belief of an higher moral code can prevent the excesses of power. On the nihilist perspective, when you are powerful, YOU are the moral compass, nothing is higher than you.

I can picture a lot of scenarios context dependable and exclusively dependable on the education and empathic personality of a person. Surely, knowledge and beliefs greatly influences moral actions, not just instinctive empathy. So my belief that life continues after death has implications on my moral choices. But if you say something and do another than what you are Sir, is a hypocrite, and the world is full of them! This is because many people don’t really believe what they say, they just say it to conform to society.

Of course that in society we should uphold the law and protect the week and the minorities because we can be affected as well, but for a sole individual his lifespan and consequential transcendental justice of his actions can play a deep role on ethical decisions like my brief anger demonstrated when I wanted to do some “justice” of my own… If religion is so powerful that can make a man blow up itself than, if well directed, it can also make him a loving person. This a big step from subjective empathic motivators (evolutionary moral) to objective moral motivators (rational moral).

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If you can not threaten

If you can not threaten with pursuing legal action (it was unofficial lending money, you have no evidence) then you'll have to use other means.

The simpliest would be to tell goodbye to the money and the person and spread the word that she doesn't pay her debts. 

If you really need the money desperately, pour some blood on her door handle  After all, she's a woman, you can send her some nasty yucky things in a parcel with a fake sender address. I propose some lively flour worms mixed with animal innards, you can get them cheaply in a pet shop, together with these  big darlings. Make sure you throw in several coins, to make the message obvious. I don't believe there is anything illegal about that. Or suable. Or convictable. 

You know the golden rule. Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you. That means, if I did bad things, like not returning borrowed money, I would want others to stop me, punish me and bring me to my senses. That's an example of tough love, of bringing the society back to equilibrium. You should be good to others, but you also have the right to defend yourself. The divine principle is not just love, it's also intellect and power. The power is the highest one of the trinity. Letting others shit on your head is a Christian tradition. If I'd need money but had no way of returning them, the right thing is to tell this flat out.

If you want to take it metaphysically, you want all debts and disputes settled down in this life, so they won't bother you in afterlife or next life, when nobody will remember what was going on, in the first place. 

By the way, writing a contract is very easy. You only need two subscribed copies of who borrowed to whom how much, when and where, and when it will be repaid. If someone promises to repay you, they should agree with the contract. 
Otherwise, lending someone money is a good way how to make an annoying person avoid you Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello Luminon!I will do

Hello Luminon!

I will do Beyond Saving strategy. She promised to pay me until monday with no delay. I am pressing the subject because I'm leaving the country for a year and I need the money. If this doesn't work I'll use the bluff and say other people will come knocking on her door when I leave... like my parents! See if I can get some shame on her...

I still think we should act on compassion and help those people in need. Especially people we know. For example, I have lend a larger sum to another person last year and this person is paying me. Only 1/3 of the loan is due... Of course... I had more assurance that this person would pay me back from the beginning.

But I also think we should be intransigent with injustice and honesty. I don't have any debts so I also don't like when others abuse their credit towards me.

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Let’s

Quote:
Let’s concentrate on the philosophical and ethical consequence of conscience continuation after biological death. Let’s assume there is a dualistic mind/matter reality and that we have a very intrinsic loving bond to each other that we aren’t normally aware of. I’m referring to the reports of people who have undergone a near death experience. Because this is what I think it will happen after our biological life ends. Let’s also forget the common notion of “God” we don’t need him in this discussion.

Well, right off the bad you are making a rather unfounded leap into the seemingly intuitive but unfounded notion of a duality of mind/matter.  Mind is matter. I don't have a body, I am a body.  The perception of duality is a result of the real time simulation program that is the concious mind.  To address the question of morality one cannot base the premise on such unfounded assumptions.  Near death experiences are all the rage but they are not particuarly relevant as they are so nebulous and undefined as to have essentially no reliable or predictable impact on the discussion.  The fact that they are a phenomenon that has manifest itself only with the advance of medical technology that can pull someone from the brink is also important, though for another conversation altogether.

Quote:

I don’t dispute that empirically theists are at least as bad as atheists in moral terms but that only highlights that there are other things that vastly outweigh people’s decisions on moral decisions.

Might be better to say they are equal.  "At least as bad" seems to indicate a bit of a bias, wouldn't you think?
Quote:

From my experience this is really the case especially on the general population who doesn’t care much about these subjects. Religious beliefs only play a decisive role when they are at the very center of this individual moral code, as in the example of terrorist bombers.

Asserting that theists are also very much amoral doesn’t say nothing about the philosophical claim that a spiritual point of view is ethically better that the atheist point of view. I also want to dismiss much of religious cannon and concentrate on the common message of religion which can be summarized as “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” and that “there is an afterlife”.

Moreover discussing which philosophy has the higher moral ground (existential nihilism or dualistic eternal mind) is trivial unless we solve which one is true without doubt.

Morally speaking you can fit me as much closer to the Baha’I faith.

So far I am seeing that the afterlife is the only difference you are recognising between theists and atheists.  "Do unto others" is a pretty universal concept and is quite independant of religious dogma or affiliation. (more on the limitations of that later)

Quote:

Hitler was much more an atheist than a theist. I don’t care how much you try to dispute this. I don’t care that the man was baptized. I was also baptized and I am not a catholic! He would gladly used religion to reach his core goals. Hitler was a philosopher, not a religious person. I think the man was a bit psychopath at least… Talking about his religious views is trivial because they were not what moved the man. And this is a point for the argument that you should have a strong loving spiritual core to avoid increasing the probability of having criminal activity.

I know that most people don’t go around committing crimes because we have in our modern society’s means of finding and penalizing criminals and protecting minorities. Have you seen the movie “the Road” (that depressing little pearl… ) ? I don’t think that that was farfetched. Morality is a slippery subject when you change between cultures and scenarios. But a transcendental moral compass can be valuable in stressful situations.

"The Road" was a movie I both loved and hated at the same time!  I will say however that I don't think it is a very accurate picture of what human behavior would be in such circumstances.  One aspect of my job is to plan for security and emergency response in logistical support of critical medical supply chains and one thing that reading analysis of actual reactions people have to both acute and long term emergency situation is that the apocalyptic, dog eat dog, every man for himself characature put forward by such movies is almost polar opposite to the way people actually act. 

Quote:

Today the world spins around money and I see many immoral things done by people with a lot of money and many roam freely. They don’t seem to care about the suffering they cause onto others. Truth is money can buy you a conscience, I don’t see the bosses of Nike worried about working conditions in Pakistan. Not unless people with more conscience speak about it and boycott their sales… and if there is nothing to judge you after death and oblivion awaits… why should this person change his attitude?! Bosses of Nike and investors of Wall Street are living grand with a big G… hey if I was a hardcore existential nihilistic person I might do the same! I have no grudge with Nike… it was just an example.

One thing I find clear… power corrupts people. Also I believe that a strong spiritual motivation can prevent this corruption. When one is very powerful the general law doesn’t apply and every whim can be satisfied. On this situations having a core transcendental belief of an higher moral code can prevent the excesses of power. On the nihilist perspective, when you are powerful, YOU are the moral compass, nothing is higher than you.

I can picture a lot of scenarios context dependable and exclusively dependable on the education and empathic personality of a person. Surely, knowledge and beliefs greatly influences moral actions, not just instinctive empathy. So my belief that life continues after death has implications on my moral choices. But if you say something and do another than what you are Sir, is a hypocrite, and the world is full of them! This is because many people don’t really believe what they say, they just say it to conform to society.

Of course that in society we should uphold the law and protect the week and the minorities because we can be affected as well, but for a sole individual his lifespan and consequential transcendental justice of his actions can play a deep role on ethical decisions like my brief anger demonstrated when I wanted to do some “justice” of my own… If religion is so powerful that can make a man blow up itself than, if well directed, it can also make him a loving person. This a big step from subjective empathic motivators (evolutionary moral) to objective moral motivators (rational moral).

Now to the meat and taters.

One of the most difficult things to address when talking about any aspect of human behavior in a modern context is the vast difference between the environment, both physical and social, that we evolved in and the environment we exist in today.  When our brains evolved some 100,000 to 250,000 years ago, we lived our lives in rather small social groups that seldom to never encountered any other human groups.  It is estimated that at the time we made our second and successful treck out of Africa and into the Levant, there were less than ten thousand homo sapiens left.  The sudden warming of the climate and the retreat of the glaciers saved our neck as many other animals couldn't adapt to the changes and opened up much biological space for us to occupy without competition. 

Think about that.  At that moment in evolutionary time there were not enough humans on this planet to sell out a small football stadium.

Why is that important?  We developed out notions of morality based on small groups and a very keen sense of in-group and out-group.  Key to this is that the morality does not change, it is the boundaries that deliniate the out-group from the in-group that changes.  In that social group, it was of critical importance to  cooperate (these were necessarily communal societies) and recognize the value of being generally nice to one another.  There is a very tight "moral leash" that keeps things in check.  If you hurt a member of the group, if you kill him or even damage his spear/shirt/club, he must heal, have a son or take the time to get a new spear/shirt/club, thus taking away his contribution from the hunting and protection of the group.  It is a very serious problem. 
As such, there is tremendous selection pressure on humans to develope innate ethical social constructs, more so as a changing climate is making resource availability very sketchy and unpredictable.  I have not seen any research on it but I would not be surprised if we were to someday discover that the selection pressure toward this level of cooperation and collaberation was the very thing that drove our species so close to extinction.

Now the size of the group is going to fluxuate depending on the available resources.  For this reason it would not be feasable for natural selection to pull towards a specific genetic or numerical definition of the in-group.  The size of the in-group is determined by the social structure.  You know they are the in-group because they are the group that runs around with you, eats together and lives in the same area.  This group is treated in accordance with the ethics that are vital to the survival of the population.  Anyone not in that social structure is an out-group and the rules do not particularly apply to them. 

In-group and out-group thinking is the key to understanding human morality as an evolved trait.  Hitler could get people to do awful things because he was able to successfully take current social ideas and reinforce the idea of Jews as the out-group.  9/11 bombers could do what they did because they were able to concieve of Americ as an out-group.  The very language of religion speaks to this.  The saved (in-group) should "come out and be seperate from the world" (out-group).  Many Indian tribes ave names that translate roughly as "The Human Beings" or "The People".  Everyone else is "not people".  THere were Jews and there were Gentiles.  There are the saved and there are the lost.  There are the Democrats and the Republicans.  Each of these speaks to an in-group and out-group as the defining feature and each in-group manages to feel justified in treating the out-group with various degrees of distain and apathy.   

You felt like you could scratch her car up because she was not realy a part of your in-group.  You likely wouldn't have done such a thing had it been your mother who hadn't paid you back (then again, you might have burned the car up, I don't know!)

Thus we see that behavior does not fall so much into a black and white ethical catagory but along a continuum.  As we get closer and closer to the more depraved side of that continuum, the actions are justified in inverse proportion to the in-groupiness of the subject.  You reach a point where someone can be objectified to the point that killing them without reason is not seen as a problem because they are not in the group. 

As such, I would submit to you that religion in general, with its tendency to constrict the definitions of the in-group is far more likely to generate immoral behavior to a greater number of people. 

Wisdom lies not in thinking outside the box. Wisdom is the realization that there is no box. Truth and reality extend as far as the eye can see and infinitely further.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
BardlishtheMagnifico

BardlishtheMagnifico wrote:

Well, right off the bad you are making a rather unfounded leap into the seemingly intuitive but unfounded notion of a duality of mind/matter.  Mind is matter. I don't have a body, I am a body.  The perception of duality is a result of the real time simulation program that is the concious mind.  To address the question of morality one cannot base the premise on such unfounded assumptions.  Near death experiences are all the rage but they are not particuarly relevant as they are so nebulous and undefined as to have essentially no reliable or predictable impact on the discussion.  The fact that they are a phenomenon that has manifest itself only with the advance of medical technology that can pull someone from the brink is also important, though for another conversation altogether.

This is your opinion which I respect. I was merely stating mine. The point being that such profound different views of reality should have an impact on some moral decisions between me and many atheists and even many theists. I have read scientific papers on medical science published for example on Lancet medical magazine that could support my view of dualistic philosophy. This is not a closed subject.

Might be better to say they are equal.  "At least as bad" seems to indicate a bit of a bias, wouldn't you think?

Yup, my bad.

So far I am seeing that the afterlife is the only difference you are recognising between theists and atheists.  "Do unto others" is a pretty universal concept and is quite independant of religious dogma or affiliation. (more on the limitations of that later)

No, no, no... I was not saying that it was the only difference... I was merely trying to put some distance between ME and the everyday theist, as I don't see my views reflected on most of them. Moreover I think those statements (the Golden rule and the afterlife) have deep religious origins. The afterlife is one of the few differences between me and the common atheist, yes!

"The Road" was a movie I both loved and hated at the same time!  I will say however that I don't think it is a very accurate picture of what human behavior would be in such circumstances.  One aspect of my job is to plan for security and emergency response in logistical support of critical medical supply chains and one thing that reading analysis of actual reactions people have to both acute and long term emergency situation is that the apocalyptic, dog eat dog, every man for himself characature put forward by such movies is almost polar opposite to the way people actually act. 

Well... I don't know... Humans aren't all that "good" we are clearly capable of doing many atrocities. All for money, power and sex. when you put food into the equation... I don't know. Take Haiti for example!

In-group and out-group thinking is the key to understanding human morality as an evolved trait.

I agree

I understand the evolution of morals that were then hardwired in our psyche. This is all very cool, but humans are very complex beings and not just controlled by these instinctive animal traits... We can clearly see that when we see so much atrocities and injustices in the world. But there is a moral check that keep us from annihilating each other, yes.

As such, I would submit to you that religion in general, with its tendency to constrict the definitions of the in-group is far more likely to generate immoral behavior to a greater number of people. 

I never pretended to dispute this!

The spiritual view I have and tried to explain is different from mainstream. Mainstream religions have distorted moral views in my opinion. Much of this distorted view comes from that intolerant group view.

All you were saying was giving me your materialistic opinion on the origin of moral, which I already knew. I find that view very subjective and sometimes difficult to defend on the court of law... If the roots of bad behaviour are in separatist group views why do you seem this group intolerance as bad? Isn't moral subjective? Wasn't this social evolution and thus we are not guilty of having this group moral?

My point is what I have said and maintain: "...for a sole individual his lifespan and consequential transcendental justice of his actions can play a deep role on ethical decisions like my brief anger demonstrated when I wanted to do some “justice” of my own… If religion is so powerful that can make a man blow up himself than, if well directed, it can also make him a very loving and inclusive person. This a big step from subjective empathic motivators (evolutionary moral) to objective moral motivators (rational moral)." I think this is important if we want to improve individual behaviour beyond our genetic chains and make it more rational... or we are going to have many people who individually are going to do everything they can to be happy since the only moral compass they have is their's and their's alone. However if there is an indelible and deep metaphysical link between all humans then everything changes. Their suffering will be my suffering sooner or later. If on the other hand materialism is the whole truth then moral loses much of it's rationality.

In this regard I say that most in the world (besides religious fanatics) really act on materialistic (evolutionary) ethics right now. That is why we see many injustices.

But I have to say in fairness of this question, that I would rather have atheistic and secular ethics in politics than mainstream religious ethics.

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
quote=Teralek]BardlishtheMagn

Teralek wrote:

This is your opinion which I respect. I was merely stating mine. The point being that such profound different views of reality should have an impact on some moral decisions between me and many atheists and even many theists. I have read scientific papers on medical science published for example on Lancet medical magazine that could support my view of dualistic philosophy. This is not a closed subject.

But it isn't simply an opinion.  The evidence we have gives no indication of any form of actual duality (anecdotal evidence isn't evidence).  Everything we see points to the mind and conciousness as an emergent property of the physical brain.  I repeat, there is no evidence to support a dualistic model.  You may take it on faith but that doesn't give it any more credibility.

Quote:
No, no, no... I was not saying that it was the only difference... I was merely trying to put some distance between ME and the everyday theist, as I don't see my views reflected on most of them. Moreover I think those statements (the Golden rule and the afterlife) have deep religious origins. The afterlife is one of the few differences between me and the common atheist, yes!

They have no need of a religious origin.  These notions are easily explained without relying on the dubious explanations religion offers.

Quote:
Well... I don't know... Humans aren't all that "good" we are clearly capable of doing many atrocities. All for money, power and sex. when you put food into the equation... I don't know. Take Haiti for example!

You are basing your views on the news reports and stories.  In actual situations like that the behavior of people is pretty predictable and is seldom what you might think.  It goes back to the in-group, out-group model in the end, though starvation can skew the numbers, so to speak. 

Quote:
All you were saying was giving me your materialistic opinion on the origin of moral, which I already knew. I find that view very subjective and sometimes difficult to defend on the court of law... If the roots of bad behaviour are in separatist group views why do you seem this group intolerance as bad? Isn't moral subjective? Wasn't this social evolution and thus we are not guilty of having this group moral?

The mechnism of in-group/out-group moral definitions isn't good or bad, it just is.  It is the tool of the social mind.  Like any tool, it can be manipulated to many ends.  What is imperitive is that we find a way to constantly expand the borders of our definition of the in-group, thus lowering the tendency to objectify others.

Quote:

My point is what I have said and maintain: "...for a sole individual his lifespan and consequential transcendental justice of his actions can play a deep role on ethical decisions like my brief anger demonstrated when I wanted to do some “justice” of my own… If religion is so powerful that can make a man blow up himself than, if well directed, it can also make him a very loving and inclusive person. This a big step from subjective empathic motivators (evolutionary moral) to objective moral motivators (rational moral)."

You are playing semantics.  The evolutionary morals are the foundation upon which the rational morals are built.  Your desire to scratch the car was based on the percieved value of the car and knowledge of the percieved injury to him (which is much easier to rationalize when it is his car rather than his eye).  This aspect of your morality was a cultural addition to the baseline morality but it is not dependant on religion or post-mortem compensation. 

Quote:

I think this is important if we want to improve individual behaviour beyond our genetic chains and make it more rational... or we are going to have many people who individually are going to do everything they can to be happy since the only moral compass they have is their's and their's alone. However if there is an indelible and deep metaphysical link between all humans then everything changes. Their suffering will be my suffering sooner or later. If on the other hand materialism is the whole truth then moral loses much of it's rationality.

Nonsense.  For one thing, we do not need metaphysics to demonstrate and feel a connection between ourselves and all other humans.  We are a social animal.  Our survival depends on the clan around us and our morality evolved to accomodate just that.  Materialism is not a default path to nihllism.  Once again I point to evidence.  We have absolutely no credible evidence for anything but materialism.  All the spiritual mumbo-jumbo that is talked about has nothing to demonstrate its validity.  It may not make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy but I am more interested in truth than with comfort.

Quote:
In this regard I say that most in the world (besides religious fanatics) really act on materialistic (evolutionary) ethics right now. That is why we see many injustices.

But I have to say in fairness of this question, that I would rather have atheistic and secular ethics in politics than mainstream religious ethics.

So you would prefer that everyone act on ethics that are based on percieved compensation (positive or negative) in an imagined afterlife? 

Fuck that!  I would much prefer to have people who value truth over fantasy and do right because it is right to do it!

For that matter, consequence based morality does not have a particularly good track record...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BardlishtheMagnifico

So you would prefer that everyone act on ethics that are based on percieved compensation (positive or negative) in an imagined afterlife? 

Fuck that!  I would much prefer to have people who value truth over fantasy and do right because it is right to do it!

For that matter, consequence based morality does not have a particularly good track record...

Exactly.  If morality was really based on consequence you'd be able to show a perfect correlation between increased temporal punishment and decreased crime.  Doesn't happen though.  Assuming that the equation fixes itself when the consequence is removed to a nebulous afterlife seems a bit naive honestly...humans aren't good at cost/benefit analysis past short term time frames.  If we were, we wouldn't have starvation, energy crisis or global warming....so I don't know why moving the time scale back even further would help us overall.

I think if this were true you'd also be able to show a strong correlation between the type of afterlife assumed and the moral behavior of individuals but I don't think that would be backed up by actual evidence either.  The Muslim hell is pretty bad, and so is the Christian one, but I don't think your average person in those religions is consistently more moral than a Buddhist or Jew or liberal Christian.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loaning money should only be

Loaning money should only be done through the evidence that one will be paid back. If you get screwed don't loan them money again. Don't get angry or even, just don't do it with this person again.

NOW, having said that, that is not to say you cant simply give them money without expecting it back.

Only do either because you want to, not out of any sense of obligation.

I created a monster with an alleged friend, who really wasn't my friend, when he borrowed money from me and didn't pay it back. After the first time I simply told him "look, all I want out of you is honesty and consistency. If you say "borrow" pay me back. If you cant, that doesn't mean I won't simply give you the money". I ended up cutting off the relationship because he wasn't honest with me. And he wouldn't allow me to lend or give him money without the option of saying "no".

I was weak in that I cared more about not wanting to look like the bad guy, when the reality is that I allowed him to "shame me" or bully me into getting what he wanted.

I have no problem with either borrowing or giving as long as the person is honest with me and isn't trying to use me. I allowed myself to be abused.

Your reaction is natural, but doing anything to this person wont solve anything. Accept the loss and learn from it.

Neither borrowing or even giving are wrong. But you should expect honesty and consistency, otherwise don't deal with that person.

I would rather give someone money without expecting it back. That doesn't mean you should do that every time someone asks for it. It simply takes out any problems of tension.

Only do either because you want to and it wont set you back to eating cat food. And don't let anyone put any emotional pressure on you. If someone wants to borrow money are wants to give you money and wont give you the option of saying "no", they are simply using you.

I still give people money sometimes when I can, but I will never go through the bullshit I did with this guy again.

Support and help is fine, but it should be given freely and with honesty.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
You have based your entire

You have based your entire argument on the notion that anything beyond materialism is fantasy and stupidity. You say that also without any evidence. 

There are several indications that we may not have the whole truth. I told you... there are some scientific investigations that seem to point that that there could me more to reality than what we think.

There was an important study published on the famous Lancet magazine - www.zarqon.co.uk/Lancet.pdf. You may scream all you want but this is NOT mumbo-jumbo. There is another major study being conducted as we speak.

Quoting from the study: "Our results show that medical factors cannot account for occurrence of NDE; although all patients had been clinically dead, most did not have NDE." "If purely physiological factors resulting from cerebral anoxia caused NDE, most of our patients should have had this experience. Patients’ medication was also unrelated to frequency of NDE. Psychological factors are unlikely to be important as fear was not associated with NDE." "Several theories have been proposed to explain NDE. We did not show that psychological, neurophysiological, or physiological factors caused these experiences after cardiac arrest." "With lack of evidence for any other theories for NDE, the thus far assumed, but never proven, concept that consciousness and memories are localised in the brain should be discussed. How could a clear consciousness
outside one’s body be experienced at the moment that the brain no longer functions during a period of clinical death with flat EEG? Also, in cardiac arrest the EEG usually becomes flat in most cases within about 10 s
from onset of syncope." "Another theory holds that NDE might be a changing state of consciousness (transcendence), in which identity, cognition, and emotion function independently from the unconscious body, but retain the possibility of non-sensory perception" "Finally, the theory  and background of transcendence should be included as a part of an explanatory framework for these experiences."

If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Again I say this is not a closed subject. It is not faith based.

I am not entirely sure, but I think I'm right... but you seem to know with absolute certainty that I am wrong... well it's your opinion, opinions are like hats. Not only this study but all my life experiences tell me that the dualistic view is likely to be true.

I'm not playing with semantics. If there is no moral that binds us beyond social evolutionary instinct then everything is permissible. I return to my previous claim in a materialistic view that there is only the individual, everything is focused on him, the ultimate selfishness. This is what is happening now. People say and do everything they can for the benefit of themselves or the group, because the group will also benefit them... but covertly they also do everything they can for themselves... and depending on this person's "empathic spectrum" they could have very subjective ethics, and they would be rational too!! It is impossible to have all humanity in this "moral" group. You may behave empathicaly with all humans, even at your own prejudice but that wouldn't be rational in many scenarios. You would be only following your social instincts.

For one thing, we do not need metaphysics to demonstrate and feel a connection between ourselves and all other humans

Yes we do!

If it happens that one of these persons lacks normal empathy, the emotional bonds break and serious criminal behaviour appears. If you kill the rich old man and get away with it, or if you rob the bank and get away the benefics are enormous! People will always try to compete other people away, because people really behave like they live in a purely materialistic world! And in fact for the person doing it this is not bad! It is only bad for society... but who cares! "You only live once!" How can "his" survival be at risk! "He" scored big time!

"Fuck that" I rather have this much more elegant notion that awareness is something that has ilimitted lifespan and that we are all deeply connected to each other... which happens to be the TRUTH too! "In the box" is the "wisdom" of the dualistic mind matter reality.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
From the paper:  Quote:With

From the paper:  

Quote:
With a purely physiological explanation such as cerebral anoxia for the experience, most patients who have been clinically dead should report one.

That simple sentence reeks of bias, especially in a study *based purely on survey data*.  Seriously?  Really?  "We surveyed some folks about NDE and correlated it with some demographic data and have concluded there is no physiological explanation!"  Even worse, they call the people who didn't have NDE's a 'control group'.  Ouch.  

Then they throw in an anecdote about a guy who had an NDE and how he knew where a nurse put his dentures.  Congrats on a 'paper' including random anecdotes.

Brilliant work, that.

I'm sorry, this just isn't credible, regardless of your effort to poison the well by saying anyone who disagrees is 'just yelling'.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You have based your

Quote:
You have based your entire argument on the notion that anything beyond materialism is fantasy and stupidity. You say that also without any evidence.

You are confusing the map with the territory.

We are not saying that everything is material. Thoughts are not material. But they ARE a manifestation of material processes.  If thoughts did not come from material processes you wouldn't be reading this right now. My brain is made up with material which can state an abstraction like "1+1=2" which is not material but CAN BE TESTED and falsified.

We are saying that only things that can be studied and tested are valid and if it cannot be tested it is not worth consideration. We don't know what happens at the center of a black hole, but we do see the affects of what goes on around it. And we don't have to insert Thor as the gap answer to whatever we don't know about black holes.

Running is not a thing, but we can study the REAL events of human legs in motion that lead to running.

Miles per hour are not a thing, but a description of observation. So if we say this person is "running" which is not a thing, but a process, we use MPH as a description of this non-material process caused by a REAL material proccess which "running" is a description.

Your argument is as stupid as "You cant see air but you know it exists".

Now, if you really believe there is a non-material magical super brain with no brain and magical super powers, we cannot stop you from making that claim.

But it is UP TO YOU, to find a universal way for this "critter" to be detected. Making naked assertions and proxy of popular belief won't cut it here.

It doesn't have to be "material" anymore than Miles Per Hour is a material. It just has to be observable and testable. Just like gravity isn't a thing but a process that can be tested and observed. We know gravity exists because of the REAL affects it has on material and we use material objects to test this non-material process.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:From the

mellestad wrote:

From the paper:  

Quote:
With a purely physiological explanation such as cerebral anoxia for the experience, most patients who have been clinically dead should report one.

That simple sentence reeks of bias, especially in a study *based purely on survey data*.  Seriously?  Really?  "We surveyed some folks about NDE and correlated it with some demographic data and have concluded there is no physiological explanation!"  Even worse, they call the people who didn't have NDE's a 'control group'.  Ouch.  

Then they throw in an anecdote about a guy who had an NDE and how he knew where a nurse put his dentures.  Congrats on a 'paper' including random anecdotes.

Brilliant work, that.

I'm sorry, this just isn't credible, regardless of your effort to poison the well by saying anyone who disagrees is 'just yelling'.

This is the only way a study like this can be done. So, in your idea how should a control group be selected? Every medical study on this study shows similar results. This study passed the demanding peer review panel of Lancet. In light of other similar studies I say this is very credible.

It is very true that if anoxia is responsible every patient should report a NDE and it would be related to the lenght of cardiac arrest... this sentence is not biased.

They "compared demographic, medical, pharmacological, and psychological data between patients who reported NDE and patients who did not (controls) after resuscitation." Obviously they didn't know who was going to have an NDE before the experience. Patients were selected consecutively, they were not hand picked. I see nothing wrong with the methods. the comparisons were for correlational purposes.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I return to my

Quote:
I return to my previous claim in a materialistic view that there is only the individual, everything is focused on him, the ultimate selfishness.

Ok, then send me your computer right now because that is material and we should never want material things.

I am sorry it bothers you that people outside your pet god can be moral. Selfishness is not the result of comic book super heros and not all selfishness is bad.

I am selfish at work in the sense that I wont wait for others to do something. I may piss them off sometimes, but that "selfishness" also benefits them in that if I do it, it is one less thing they have to do.

If anything is selfish it is the attitude that your club should be the center of the world and everyone should bow to your club.

"Selfish" to me is saying "Life revolves around me". The character people claim to be real called god exhibits  the worst form of selfishness ever manufactured by humans.

What is worse is that they go around promoting this self centered tyrannical brat without a lick of evidence for such.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:mellestad

Teralek wrote:

mellestad wrote:

From the paper:  

Quote:

Brilliant work, that.

This is the only way a study like this can be done. So, in your idea how should a control group be selected? Every medical study on this study shows similar results. This study passed the demanding peer review panel of Lancet. In light of other similar studies I say this is very credible.

It is very true that if anoxia is responsible every patient should report a NDE and it would be related to the lenght of cardiac arrest... this sentence is not biased.

They "compared demographic, medical, pharmacological, and psychological data between patients who reported NDE and patients who did not (controls) after resuscitation." Obviously they didn't know who was going to have an NDE before the experience. Patients were selected consecutively, they were not hand picked. I see nothing wrong with the methods. the comparisons were for correlational purposes.

NDEs are a joke. They are merely the person reacting to emotional and physical activity in their brain.

You would not want to conduct a study about NDEs by blowing someone's head off with a shotgun.

They exist, not because they are real, but because people don't understand how easy it is for them to fall for a superstition because emotions and chemical reactions in our REAL physical brains can lead us to false conclusions.

The "tunnel" people experience is merely the brain dumping out all it's data like a filing cabinet drawer being turned over. It can be intense and feel real, but it is no more real than dreaming about a hot chick.

How many dreams do people have that they accept as merely being a dream. NDEs are merely dreams on steroids.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:mellestad

Teralek wrote:

mellestad wrote:

From the paper:  

Quote:

Brilliant work, that.

No.  It is only true if someone was saying anoxia alone was 100% responsible and that simply denying oxygen to the brain allows recreation of an NDE.  No-one is saying that, but that is what they are implying.

The problem with this is the terminal problem some people have saying, "I don't know".  What we *do* know is that physiology is linked to NDE's, because people with certain states are far more likely to have NDE's.  Anoxia is one such state.

If a paper was un-biased it would say, "Anoxia does not fully explain the NDE state." and leave it at that.  Maybe they could even speculate about dualism, fine.  But they don't, they say, "physiological states" which literally means they rule out every physical reason there could possibly be and jump to, "it must be magic".

They have no scientific basis to make such a claim.  They have no hypothesis.  They have no predictions to be tested.  They have done no original testing.

Can you imagine if a physicist did this?  Seriously?  "We've discovered an anomaly we can't explain and so without doing any original research we've decided it is magic."  That's what this paper says.

To actually find out what an NDE is might be very difficult.  The only 95% sure way to do it at this point would be to put people in these states under controlled conditions and figure out why some experience them and some don't, while monitoring them with a full suite of diagnostic tools.  That probably isn't going to happen because that would mean killing people.  So we'll have to see if less drastic measures get results, or something novel comes up.  Maybe if we get the technology where an fMRI is as cheap, easy to use and portable as an EEG we might lead to some interesting data.  Right now we don't have a way to actually see what is going on in these cases because our diagnostic tools aren't suited to emergency situations.

*BUT* you don't get a pass by saying, "We looked at this for a while and couldn't figure it out, so we're going to say it is caused by something un-falsifiable."  No-one in science should be able to make claims like that, because when they do they *aren't doing science anymore*.  I don't care if it is about NDE's or gravity or quantum mechanics or anything, if you can't make a falsifiable claim you don't have anything but speculation.

That's what this paper is, it is non-scientific speculation based on survey data.  It could have been fine, but they way they present their findings submarines their own work when they leap to a conclusion supported not by evidence, but by a lack of evidence.  This would be exactly like saying, "Our test did not find gravity waves, so we conclude gravity is supernatural."

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote: I

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
I return to my previous claim in a materialistic view that there is only the individual, everything is focused on him, the ultimate selfishness.

Ok, then send me your computer right now because that is material and we should never want material things.

I am sorry it bothers you that people outside your pet god can be moral. Selfishness is not the result of comic book super heros and not all selfishness is bad.

I am selfish at work in the sense that I wont wait for others to do something. I may piss them off sometimes, but that "selfishness" also benefits them in that if I do it, it is one less thing they have to do.

If anything is selfish it is the attitude that your club should be the center of the world and everyone should bow to your club.

"Selfish" to me is saying "Life revolves around me". The character people claim to be real called god exhibits  the worst form of selfishness ever manufactured by humans.

What is worse is that they go around promoting this self centered tyrannical brat without a lick of evidence for such.

Please leave God out of this. I made clear I don't need a "God" for my claim.

When a scientist faces a mystery, hypothesis should be on the table to be proven wrong or right. Look I'm merely saying that the transcendence hypothesis on the origin of conscience should be on the table, nothing more. In light of the research from Sir Roger Penrose this is far from being far fetched. It can be proven real if everything else fails. There is no known cerebral model for a NDE. There is absolutely nothing "tyrannical" on the reports of NDEs. Do you want me to show you some testimonies of people who went through NDEs and that I find credible?

You claim that conscience rises from brain activity, although this is common sense, this is a concept that is not proven.

"Selfish" to me is saying "Life revolves around me". - Welcome to the modern society. Really only one thing remains for the victory of physicalism; the elimination of religious fanatism. Although I agree with this in many ways I sense that a harsh cold world is forming. I hope that phisicalism wins... I really do... I just hope we don't stop there!

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
 Teralek wrote:You have

Teralek wrote:

No.  I do not need evidence to support the assertion that you have no evidence.  Your lack of evidence is self evident! I base my argument on the fact that you cannot support your claims of any metaphysical or supernatural influence on these matters and thus I am under no obligation to muck up the waters of inquiry by including them in an analysis of morality.

Quote:

There are several indications that we may not have the whole truth. I told you... there are some scientific investigations that seem to point that that there could me more to reality than what we think.

There was an important study published on the famous Lancet magazine - www.zarqon.co.uk/Lancet.pdf. You may scream all you want but this is NOT mumbo-jumbo. There is another major study being conducted as we speak.

And here is the interpretation of the findings of the study...

We do not know why so few cardiac patients report NDE after CPR, although age plays a part.  With a purely physiological explanation such as cerebrial anoxia for the experience, most patients who have been clinically dead should report one.

Quote:
Quoting from the study: "Our results show that medical factors cannot account for occurrence of NDE; although all patients had been clinically dead, most did not have NDE." "If purely physiological factors resulting from cerebral anoxia caused NDE, most of our patients should have had this experience. Patients’ medication was also unrelated to frequency of NDE. Psychological factors are unlikely to be important as fear was not associated with NDE." "Several theories have been proposed to explain NDE. We did not show that psychological, neurophysiological, or physiological factors caused these experiences after cardiac arrest." "With lack of evidence for any other theories for NDE, the thus far assumed, but never proven, concept that consciousness and memories are localised in the brain should be discussed. How could a clear consciousness
outside one’s body be experienced at the moment that the brain no longer functions during a period of clinical death with flat EEG? Also, in cardiac arrest the EEG usually becomes flat in most cases within about 10 s
from onset of syncope." "Another theory holds that NDE might be a changing state of consciousness (transcendence), in which identity, cognition, and emotion function independently from the unconscious body, but retain the possibility of non-sensory perception" "Finally, the theory  and background of transcendence should be included as a part of an explanatory framework for these experiences."

It is a steaming pile of horse shit.  The study came to no clear conclusion aside from a collective shoulder shrugging and saying" HMMM, That's funny!"  There is a quantum leap involved in going from "There are some weird things that may or may not happen in near death scenarios" to "It proves the existence of the metaphysical".  I am sorry if I am not willing to sit by while someone tries to foist such an idea on others.  It is a tremendous case of confirmation bias at best.

Quote:

If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Again I say this is not a closed subject. It is not faith based. 

I am not entirely sure, but I think I'm right... but you seem to know with absolute certainty that I am wrong... well it's your opinion, opinions are like hats. Not only this study but all my life experiences tell me that the dualistic view is likely to be true.

I know with absolute certainty that you are offering a position with no evidence to validate it. Your life experiences are irrelevant.  If you were blind, your life experience would not include the recognition of electromagnetic radiation  but that would not effect its reality.  It is about evidence, not anecdote.

Quote:

I'm not playing with semantics. If there is no moral that binds us beyond social evolutionary instinct then everything is permissible. I return to my previous claim in a materialistic view that there is only the individual, everything is focused on him, the ultimate selfishness.

Bullshit and it offends me that you would suggest such a thing.  Morality is innate to us simply because if we had not developed it we would not have survived.  We are a social species.  Individual selfishness isn't even particularly compatable with evolution.  Evolution is about populations.  A breeding population is what my genes need in order to propogate and replicate.  Gross individualism would undermine the stability of the population and kill us all.  The particular "veiw" one has is not a part of this innate morality it only informs and builds upon it.

Quote:

This is what is happening now. People say and do everything they can for the benefit of themselves or the group, because the group will also benefit them... but covertly they also do everything they can for themselves... and depending on this person's "empathic spectrum" they could have very subjective ethics, and they would be rational too!! It is impossible to have all humanity in this "moral" group. You may behave empathicaly with all humans, even at your own prejudice but that wouldn't be rational in many scenarios. You would be only following your social instincts.

You would indeed.

Quote:

For one thing, we do not need metaphysics to demonstrate and feel a connection between ourselves and all other humans

Yes we do!

If it happens that one of these persons lacks normal empathy, the emotional bonds break and serious criminal behaviour appears. If you kill the rich old man and get away with it, or if you rob the bank and get away the benefics are enormous! People will always try to compete other people away, because people really behave like they live in a purely materialistic world! And in fact for the person doing it this is not bad! It is only bad for society... but who cares! "You only live once!" How can "his" survival be at risk! "He" scored big time!

"Fuck that" I rather have this much more elegant notion that awareness is something that has ilimitted lifespan and that we are all deeply connected to each other... which happens to be the TRUTH too! "In the box" is the "wisdom" of the dualistic mind matter reality.

No, we don't.  You want that to be the case.  There are people who do not posess the same level of base morality.  We call the psychopaths and sociopaths.

You seem confused as to where you see morality originating.  At times you speak to it as innate and at other times you claim it is defined by an afterlife!  You can't have it both ways, which is it?  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:Brian37

Teralek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

When a scientist faces a mystery, hypothesis should be on the table to be proven wrong or right. Look I'm merely saying that the transcendence hypothesis on the origin of conscience should be on the table, nothing more. In light of the research from Sir Roger Penrose this is far from being far fetched. It can be proven real if everything else fails. There is no known cerebral model for a NDE. There is absolutely nothing "tyrannical" on the reports of NDEs. Do you want me to show you some testimonies of people who went through NDEs and that I find credible?

You claim that conscience rises from brain activity, although this is common sense, this is a concept that is not proven.

"Selfish" to me is saying "Life revolves around me". - Welcome to the modern society. Really only one thing remains for the victory of physicalism; the elimination of religious fanatism. Although I agree with this in many ways I sense that a harsh cold world is forming. I hope that phisicalism wins... I really do... I just hope we don't stop there!

What the fuck?

OF COURSE CONSCIOUSNESS IS A RESULT OF BRAIN ACTIVITY! If that isn't proven you wouldn't be spewing your tripe.

NDEs are only real in the sense that they are a product of real events that lead people to false conclusions.

It is merely taking what amounts to a dream and conflating it to be reality.

NDEs are nothing but the same gap filling crap as JFK conspiracy and Crap Circle nuts. You want to believe something badly enough you will.

NDEs ARE real like the phantom pain an amputee may feel. It is like I said, nothing but a dream on steroids.

Quote:
Do you want me to show you some testimonies of people who went through NDEs and that I find credible?

Nope. Would you like to see some "testimonies" of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens?

I can show you REAL videos of Crop Circles, so therefore crop circles can't be hoaxes.

I have no doubt that people have these "experiences". I doubt that there is anything more to it than being in their head.

If NDEs were more than the wishful thinking of the people selling the idea, we would be able to study them in a credible lab setting.

NDEs should only be studied like all other absurd claims people make. Why people come to false conclusions about claims. I DO think there is a real physical affect that causes people to come to the false conclusion that NDE claimants come to in claiming them to be real.

It is a placebo affect, a sugar pill, and we can study it in that respect, but nothing more. I would agree to study "NDEs" on a brain level for the same reason I would want to study the brain activity of someone claiming vampires to be real in "why people believe absurd claims". Our brains are capable of believing false things.

You have fallen for an elaborate scam perpetrated by charlatans.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Teralek

Brian37 wrote:

Teralek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

What the fuck?

OF COURSE CONSCIOUSNESS IS A RESULT OF BRAIN ACTIVITY! If that isn't proven you wouldn't be spewing your tripe.

NDEs are only real in the sense that they are a product of real events that lead people to false conclusions.

NDEs are nothing but the same gap filling crap as JFK conspiracy and Crap Circle nuts. You want to believe something badly enough you will.

NDEs ARE real like the phantom pain an amputee may feel. It is like I said, nothing but a dream on steroids.

Quote:
Do you want me to show you some testimonies of people who went through NDEs and that I find credible?

Nope. Would you like to see some "testimonies" of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens?

I can show you REAL videos of Crop Circles, so therefore crop circles can't be hoaxes.

I have no doubt that people have these "experiences". I doubt that there is anything more to it than being in their head.

If NDEs were more than the wishful thinking of the people selling the idea, we would be able to study them in a credible lab setting.

NDEs should only be studied like all other absurd claims people make. Why people come to false conclusions about claims. I DO think there is a real physical affect that causes people to come to the false conclusion that NDE claimants come to in claiming them to be real.

It is a placebo affect, a sugar pill, and we can study it in that respect, but nothing more. I would agree to study "NDEs" on a brain level for the same reason I would want to study the brain activity of someone claiming vampires to be real in "why people believe absurd claims". Our brains are capable of believing false things.

I don't know if they deserve quite so much scorn.  I don't think there is any reason to think they are signs of dualism, but I think studying them is interesting in how it might relate to our understanding of conciousness.  If they originate during a lowered oxygen state then that teaches us something about the ability of the brain to be active in that state, and if they originate after the brain reboots it tells us some interesting stuff too.  Knowing exactly what is going on to create these things seems to me like a very valid thing to study...as long as we aren't going in with assumptions about proving or disproving dualism.

I'd be just as interested in controlled tests about alien abductions, but that might be even harder to study than NDE's.  Maybe.  Hmm...I wonder if anyone has ever tried to replicate those conditions?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Brian37

mellestad wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Teralek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

What the fuck?

Quote:

I don't know if they deserve quite so much scorn.  I don't think there is any reason to think they are signs of dualism, but I think studying them is interesting in how it might relate to our understanding of conciousness.  If they originate during a lowered oxygen state then that teaches us something about the ability of the brain to be active in that state, and if they originate after the brain reboots it tells us some interesting stuff too.  Knowing exactly what is going on to create these things seems to me like a very valid thing to study...as long as we aren't going in with assumptions about proving or disproving dualism.

I'd be just as interested in controlled tests about alien abductions, but that might be even harder to study than NDE's.  Maybe.  Hmm...I wonder if anyone has ever tried to replicate those conditions?

Victor Stinger addresses the false claim of dualism in "The New Atheism", AND clearly states why are brains are us and nothing more and that thoughts are not independent or separate from a material process.

I would only be willing to accept a study on a brain level to see how the brain acts when people buy into claims to see what chemicals and what parts of the brain are affected. In that sense "NDEs" could be studied. But like I said, they are nothing but dreams on steroids.

I am all for brain study ESPECIALLY when it comes to absurd claims. That would make it easier scientifically to point to real things causing false beliefs. Just like doctors can explain a phantom pain.

But no, I will not buy into any claim that our thoughts are dualistic. Our thoughts are merely a manifestation of material processes. We ARE our brains and when our brains die, our thoughts can no longer manifest because the thing that holds them is dead.

Again, I would only be willing to buy a study that explains why NDEs happen like a phantom pain happens.

I

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry, I don't see much

I'm sorry, I don't see much validity in your claims. I have seen a lot of studies in prospective medical science because of my field of study (biotechnology) and these studies are made more or less this way. I see nothing wrong with the methods. I don't think they have rulled out the physiological explanation, they merely said that they can't find a explanation. They could not come to a convincing theory to fit the facts: 

"And yet, neurophysiological processes must play some part in NDE. Similar experiences can be induced through electrical stimulation of the temporal lobe (and hence of the hippocampus) during neurosurgery for epilepsy, with high carbon dioxide levels (hypercarbia), and in decreased cerebral perfusion resulting in local cerebral hypoxia as in rapid acceleration during training of fighter pilots, or as in hyperventilation followed by valsalva manoeuvre. Ketamine-induced experiences resulting from blockage of the NMDA receptor, and the role of endorphin, serotonin, and enkephalin have also been mentioned, as have near-death-like experiences after the use of LSD, psilocarpine, and mescaline. These induced experiences can consist of unconsciousness, out-of-body experiences, and perception of light or flashes of recollection from the past. These recollections, however, consist of fragmented and random memories unlike the panoramic life-review that can occur in NDE. Further, transformational processes with changing life-insight and disappearance of fear of death are rarely reported after induced experiences.  Thus, induced experiences are not identical to NDE, and so, besides age, an unknown mechanism causes NDE..."

Nowhere in the paper researchers say it was magic. They haven't concluded anything... they said that there should be more options on the table. This claim is not un-falsifiable. Someday we could prove it. The is an ongoing study trying to do this.

The main investigator of this study said on another occasion that: "For me science is asking questions with an open mind, and not being afraid to reconsider widely accepted but scientifically not proven concepts like the concept that consciousness and memories are a product of the brain. But also we should realize that we need a functioning brain to receive our consciousness into our waking consciousness. There are still a lot of mysteries to solve, but one has not to talk about paranormal, supernatural or pseudoscience to look for scientific answers on the intriguing relation between consciousness and memories with the brain." Pim Van Lommel

Brian37 wrote:
They are merely the person reacting to emotional and physical activity in their brain.

There is no proof of this.

Brian37 wrote:
It can be intense and feel real, but it is no more real than dreaming about a hot chick.

No. Everybody without exception; Even NDEs from atheists is reported to be more "real" than "the real world". These people claim that this is not comparable to anything they ever experienced. We can easily dismiss a dream or an hallucination because they are fuzzy, blurred and our mind feels sluggish. Moreover it seems paradoxical to me that one person can report a fantastic story, and heightened awareness when their EEG is flatlined...

I'm not pretending to prove anything to you. I'm just saying that my thoughts do not come from an impossible reality, this could be true. This is just an hipothesis, not undeniable proof of an afterlife... at least not yet.

BardlishtheMagnifico, you keep talking about the origin of humanity moral behaviour, I'm with you, I don't deny group ethics... that is self evident. What I argue is that if we find that we have a "transcendent loving" link to each other we can rationalise ethics in a different way. So I can have it both ways! Moral is innate and it has relations to the afterlife.

Let me put it this way: You give money to a person and without your knowing this person uses the money to buy a gun and kills someone. If you knew that your money was going to be used that way you would never give the money away! Knowledge deeply influences ethical decisions as does empathy. If the afterlife would be true it would change the moral spectrum.

I'm getting the feeling that all of you don't really know what people that had NDEs claim about the afterlife....

Brian37 if you can really make that claim that CONSCIOUSNESS is a product of brain activity without any shred of doubt... then I don't understand how could this study passed peer review; I don't understand why so many researchers are still puzzled by the question... and I guess that your TV set also have people inside it, or else how come it could be spewing all that nonsense. Surely the image is the sole product of the TV electronics, if you break the TV the people go away.

There is no proof of the claim that conscience is generated by the brain exclusively, only circumstantial evidence. There is a model that shows how could a mind dualism could function. It's the same notion as the Tv set. But it is just a theory.

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Quote:No. Everybody without

Quote:
No. Everybody without exception; Even NDEs from atheists is reported to be more "real" than "the real world".

What the hell does that mean?  More real than real?  

Quote:

These people claim that this is not comparable to anything they ever experienced. We can easily dismiss a dream or an hallucination because they are fuzzy, blurred and our mind feels sluggish. Moreover it seems paradoxical to me that one person can report a fantastic story, and heightened awareness when their EEG is flatlined...

Smoke some pot and you can get the same effect.  The memory of it doesn't indicate that it happened while they were flatlined.  It could just as easily have been the result of the brain booting up and firing things off and placing the events in the timeline of memory.  False memory, even very vivid and memorable ones are common.  You can hallucinate and it will be very real to you, but not be real.

Quote:
BardlishtheMagnifico, you keep talking about the origin of humanity moral behaviour, I'm with you, I don't deny group ethics... that is self evident. What I argue is that if we find that we have a "transcendent loving" link to each other we can rationalise ethics in a different way. So I can have it both ways! Moral is innate and it has relations to the afterlife.

What you are doing is turning cartwheels to make reality fit the notions that are comfortable to you.  You have no real evidence to even send you down that road other than your faith.

Quote:
Let me put it this way: You give money to a person and without your knowing this person uses the money to buy a gun and kills someone. If you knew that your money was going to be used that way you would never give the money away! Knowledge deeply influences ethical decisions as does empathy. If the afterlife would be true it would change the moral spectrum.

So what?  You seem to be unwilling or unable to grasp this but there is no evidence whatsoever for an afterlife.  There is not even any evidence to make one suspect an afterlife.  It is the remnants of ancient mythology and nothing more.  As there is nothing to indicate that it exists in any way, to keep searching for it in spite of this is little more than mental masturbation.

Quote:
Brian37 if you can really make that claim that CONSCIOUSNESS is a product of brain activity without any shred of doubt... then I don't understand how could this study passed peer review; I don't understand why so many researchers are still puzzled by the question... and I guess that your TV set also have people inside it, or else how come it could be spewing all that nonsense. Surely the image is the sole product of the TV electronics, if you break the TV the people go away.

Scientists are interested because they are interested in how the material brain works, not because they think there is some nebulous ether connecting us all together.

Quote:
There is no proof of the claim that conscience is generated by the brain exclusively, only circumstantial evidence. There is a model that shows how could a mind dualism could function. It's the same notion as the Tv set. But it is just a theory.

The brain functions and is in our head.  That is evidence that it is a material control mechanism.  There is no evidence, zero, zip, nada of any kind of cartesian radio tower in the brain.  You think your assertions are being dismissed out of ideological resistance.  They are being dismissed because there isn't a shred of fucking evidence to indicate that they have one iota of fact or value buried in them.  Having questions about the workings of the brain does not automatically mean metaphysical explanations are in order.  It is just a sexed up version of the old "God done it" response worn out by the fundies for so many years.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:I'm sorry, I

Teralek wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't see much validity in your claims. I have seen a lot of studies in prospective medical science because of my field of study (biotechnology) and these studies are made more or less this way. I see nothing wrong with the methods. I don't think they have rulled out the physiological explanation, they merely said that they can't find a explanation. They could not come to a convincing theory to fit the facts: 

"And yet, neurophysiological processes must play some part in NDE. Similar experiences can be induced through electrical stimulation of the temporal lobe (and hence of the hippocampus) during neurosurgery for epilepsy, with high carbon dioxide levels (hypercarbia), and in decreased cerebral perfusion resulting in local cerebral hypoxia as in rapid acceleration during training of fighter pilots, or as in hyperventilation followed by valsalva manoeuvre. Ketamine-induced experiences resulting from blockage of the NMDA receptor, and the role of endorphin, serotonin, and enkephalin have also been mentioned, as have near-death-like experiences after the use of LSD, psilocarpine, and mescaline. These induced experiences can consist of unconsciousness, out-of-body experiences, and perception of light or flashes of recollection from the past. These recollections, however, consist of fragmented and random memories unlike the panoramic life-review that can occur in NDE. Further, transformational processes with changing life-insight and disappearance of fear of death are rarely reported after induced experiences.  Thus, induced experiences are not identical to NDE, and so, besides age, an unknown mechanism causes NDE..."

Nowhere in the paper researchers say it was magic. They haven't concluded anything... they said that there should be more options on the table. This claim is not un-falsifiable. Someday we could prove it. The is an ongoing study trying to do this.

The main investigator of this study said on another occasion that: "For me science is asking questions with an open mind, and not being afraid to reconsider widely accepted but scientifically not proven concepts like the concept that consciousness and memories are a product of the brain. But also we should realize that we need a functioning brain to receive our consciousness into our waking consciousness. There are still a lot of mysteries to solve, but one has not to talk about paranormal, supernatural or pseudoscience to look for scientific answers on the intriguing relation between consciousness and memories with the brain." Pim Van Lommel

Brian37 wrote:
They are merely the person reacting to emotional and physical activity in their brain.

There is no proof of this.

Brian37 wrote:
It can be intense and feel real, but it is no more real than dreaming about a hot chick.

No. Everybody without exception; Even NDEs from atheists is reported to be more "real" than "the real world". These people claim that this is not comparable to anything they ever experienced. We can easily dismiss a dream or an hallucination because they are fuzzy, blurred and our mind feels sluggish. Moreover it seems paradoxical to me that one person can report a fantastic story, and heightened awareness when their EEG is flatlined...

I'm not pretending to prove anything to you. I'm just saying that my thoughts do not come from an impossible reality, this could be true. This is just an hipothesis, not undeniable proof of an afterlife... at least not yet.

I'm getting the feeling that all of you don't really know what people that had NDEs claim about the afterlife....

Here is what I would be willing to do.

Take you, and do a brain scan while you "explain" a position you hold/

Along with other people who also hold absurd claims while they talk about their claims.

Here is what WILL happen when we look at the live scans.

What we will see is the part of the brain light up when we think about things that comfort/please us, and we can even trace the chemical reactions to that part of the brain that cause that part to light up.

THAT is what I would be willing to do.

But your claims of NDEs are bullshit claims, PERIOD!

It is merely a dream on steroids brought on by the process of the brain shutting down. It is nothing but your filing cabinet being dumped out and your senses responding to your filing cabinet being dumped out.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have clearly stated my

I have clearly stated my point which in no way irrational, your last comments did nothing but desperatly deffending your world view. NDEs are not "dream on steroids", they are different from every other experience, nor they are comparable to all other absurd claims. These are investigated by reputed scientists who can't find an explanation to them given the fact that a flat EEG can't give rise to any thoughts at all. Saying that people can have thoughts, much less coherent, prolonged and lively thoughts during flat EEG or during the 10-20s seconds of functional brain activity after cardiac arrest is wishful thinking.

What the hell does that mean? More real than real?  

"It was as if I have never been conscient before" This is what it means. It means that this awareness that you are feeling now reading these words, are really like dreaming by comparison. The transcendent conscience is the true hightned awareness.

Also my studies on this subject clearly shows that "pot" does not have the same effect. Researchers of this Lancet study also said that, as I already mentioned. I'm not "turning cartwheels"... the NDE idea is perfectly compatible with naturalistic view of moral. Hell! These experiences are an aspect of a natural reality!

You seem to be unwilling or unable to grasp this but there is no evidence whatsoever for an afterlife. There is not even any evidence to make one suspect an afterlife. It is the remnants of ancient mythology and nothing more. As there is nothing to indicate that it exists in any way, to keep searching for it in spite of this is little more than mental masturbation.

I seem unable to grasp that there is no evidence of the afterlife as much as you seem unable to grasp that the possibility of it is clearly logical. Not proven but possible. These studies at least open that possibility.

Mental masturbation is good. Astronomers have them when looking at supernova explosions...

Clearly I will not convice you dispite all circumstantial evidence that point to a different possibility (not proof). There is no physiological model capable of explaining all the deepness of these experiences. Your stubburness is understandable, you have an agenda to defend, and anything that remotely attacks this idea must be refuted beyond all doubt. The truth is not important. Just like the idea of Universe design indicated by the incredible coincidential conditions that allowed it to have a flat geometry (not open or closed).

For the sake of scientific neutrality I will repeat Dr. Pim van Lommel, M.D quote: "For me science is asking questions with an open mind, and not being afraid to reconsider widely accepted but scientifically not proven concepts like the concept that consciousness and memories are a product of the brain. But also we should realize that we need a functioning brain to receive our consciousness into our waking consciousness. There are still a lot of mysteries to solve, but one has not to talk about paranormal, supernatural or pseudoscience to look for scientific answers on the intriguing relation between consciousness and memories with the brain."

For all others who may be interested and are not so close minded here goes a link on a testimony which I find true, genuine NDE. One of the best I've seen. http://lightafterlife.com/

I just want to call attention to the fact that each person interperts the experience differently, although there are allways similar situations.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Clearly I will not

Quote:
Clearly I will not convice you dispite all circumstantial evidence

You do not have even circumstantial evidence. You have fallen for bad claims made by clever people sexed up with psuedo science.

Thoughts require a material process and CANNOT be separated from a material process. They are not a thing anymore than running can be legs. Running is the end result of legs moving. Thoughts are the end result of material processes. like running is to legs.

"experiences" are anecdotal and notoriously unreliable. The reason they make these claims is the same reason you buy these claims. Because the idea of the super natural appeals to you. Trying to mix real science with "spirit" claptrap, is nothing more than new age wishful thinking.

The only thing worthy of any real study is HOW humans allow themselves to believe false claims  from a psychological/ neurological standpoint.

There is no such thing as a disembodied brain, disembodied thought or super natural spirit. This is just mere mundane human gap filling.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:the NDE idea is

Quote:
the NDE idea is perfectly compatible with naturalistic view of moral. Hell! These experiences are an aspect of a natural reality!

ONLY in the sense that people are capable of placing bullshit answers into gaps.

NDEs are real only in the fact that they are a dream on steroids.

How well do you think your cell phone would work if you smashed it on the ground?

What the fuck makes you think thoughts can exist once your brain is beyond repair. NDEs exist as severly emotional dreams combined with neurons dumping out all a the same time like a filing cabinet's drawers being dumped out, combined with your other, touch, feel, smell, hearing and sight still taking in data subconciously mixing with this extreme dream. It can "seem" real and feel really intense, but it is still merely a dream.

The reason people "come back" from this is because the brain's functions were not damaged beyond reversal.

Once your brain is beyond repair, just like smashing that cell phone, IT WILL NOT FUNCTION.

There is no separating thought from the human brain, PERIOD! YOU are your brain, that is it.

I am sick of people trying to turn nature into something super natural or si fi. I am sorry that you find reality that boring that you have to believe bullshit to find meaning in it.

Stijn Bruers
atheist
User is offlineOffline
non violet communication

Teralek wrote:

Something happened to me today and I thought I should share it with you. 

In an urge of rage, today, I thought that I should do something drastic, like break a window or scratch this person's car. However this thought went away as soon as I remember that I should live up to what I believe, if I really do. That is I should be patient and loving towards others even when others are not like that to me. I believe in an eternal, transcendent, loving and strong connection between all humans, thus I know that with a loving attitude sooner or later, even after death love will win. In the big picture this will just be a petty claim and will be a terrifying situation for this person when she realizes that she was not honest. In the end my loving attitude will bring both of us growth. If I acted upon the rage I would have created nothing more than help breaking this loving bond of humanity.

I don't have many doubts that if I uphold the existential nihilism like a hardcore atheist, I would have done it. I would have scratched this person’s car thoroughly…

I agree with your attitude. One can go a step further, try something like non violent communication. Are you familiar with that (develloped by Marshal Rosenberg)? The idea is that that person would be willing to help you and give back your money, if he doesn't feel forced to do so. Peopl have a natural inclination to help others, that is why helping others often gives us great feelings. Yes, you can even go to prisons and ask the delinquents if they can remember the last time that they helped someone they hold dear. Then ask them what they felt, and then ask them if they remember something else that make them feel better. Apart from the very small minority of sociopaths, basically everyone will say that helping feels great, and even when they are addicted to drugs, they realise that helping others feels... better! But people are often clumsy, often have unmet universal needs, don't know how to deal with that... 

So, ask yourself: why would this person not give back your money? Sure he doesn't do it with the purpose to obstruct your need for trust. All he tries to dos, is to meet some of his needs, and he things keeping your money is a good strategy for that. But if he realizes that you have a need for trust, for cooperation,..., he can understand your needs, because he also has those needs once in a while. He knows how it feels when those needs are not satisfied. And once that he sees that you are in contact with his needs, things will change. That person has perhaps a need for (financial) security, pleasure, ease,... What would happen if you would focus on his needs? Then he will feel understood. that opens the possibility for him to become open for your needs. Then he might realise that there are other strategies to meet his needs, and that he can even contribute to your well-being.

Non-violent communication might be a more effective strategy than smashing his car Eye-wink

And you don't need a punishing God to scare that person off to give back your money. Helping others is like the joy of a young child feeding a hungry duck. That child is not feeding the duck because he is afraid that God will punish him...