?? God or Religion??

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
?? God or Religion??

Which is more unneccessary? God or Religion?  

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Both.Plenty of countries in

Both.

Plenty of countries in Europe are mostly atheists, and I don't see them in chaos and calamity, on the world news, hardly ever...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Define "unnecessary."

Elaborate on "unnecessary."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some form of religion, or

Some form of religion, or something similar, appears to meet a psychological need in many people, especially those in impoverished conditions.

God is totally unnecessary in any real sense, except as an idea in many religions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrOriginal

mrOriginal wrote:

Which is more unneccessary? God or Religion?  

Does one erroneous concept exist without the other?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
 sure rich, in the case of

sure rich, in the case of buddhism where there is no god per se, it's more the religious experience which the followers are using than the idea of god. Only the concept of a higher state of being, that being buddha. However religion does/can serve a purpose in uniting communities or groups of people together, where god is simply unnecessary in doing so.

neutrino
atheist
neutrino's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion obviously

Religion is for me a way of living or a enlightened  road through life and the pople that follows it will later be rewarded. 

Which have been prooven to be dangerous because for example religious extremists are willing to do anything to get the reward.

I see nothing wrong with God being necessary In a mans life, It gives me a quest in life. God is in a scientists perspective the ``guy´´ that gives you the questions for you to answer and God knows what lies for you to find.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
neutrino wrote:Religion is

neutrino wrote:

Religion is for me a way of living or a enlightened  road through life and the pople that follows it will later be rewarded. 

Which have been prooven to be dangerous because for example religious extremists are willing to do anything to get the reward.

I see nothing wrong with God being necessary In a mans life, It gives me a quest in life. God is in a scientists perspective the ``guy´´ that gives you the questions for you to answer and God knows what lies for you to find.

God is a primitive, outdated attempt to fill the role you describe.

Contemplation of the scale and complexity and sublety of the Universe itself,  and the actual implications of a system whose behavior is described by Natural Law, with the mind-bending implications of Quantum Mechanics mad Relativity thrown in, is way more than enough for scientists, and any educated and thoughtful person.

God is for people who can't handle the Truth, or what represents our current best approximation to it. It can lead to a wasted life if there is no ultimate reward, and there is no real evidence for it, certainly nothing worth devoting your whole life to, especially if there is no way to determine which, if any, religion has the 'right' one.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology