I´m looking for tools

neutrino
atheist
neutrino's picture
User is offlineOffline
I´m looking for tools

Hi! I became a member because I seek tools to spread the word of atheism and reason to people that thinks religion makes the world a better place! 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You want tools?Hanity is a

You want tools?

Hanity is a tool, O'Reily is a tool and Glen Beck is a tool. Hell, Fox News is one giant Swiss Army tool.

Oh wait, you were looking for tools, not tools........never mind.

You found the right place. We are tools here, in a good way.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

joak
atheist
User is offlineOffline
neutrino wrote:Hi! I became

neutrino wrote:

Hi! I became a member because I seek tools to spread the word of atheism and reason to people that thinks religion makes the world a better place! 

i havent really explored this forum too much yet.  i just joined myself.  but im sure there are plenty of tools here for you to put in your toolbox.

i would suggest going to a bookstore and picking up "letter to a christian nation" by sam harris.  it has come in quite handy for me and has been a valuable asset, especially in refuting the argument that "religion makes the world (and america) a better place".

im sure you are already aware of the various books written on the topic of atheism.  but just for the hell of it, here are a few:

the god delusion

letter to a christian nation

god is not great

the end of faith

atheist universe

the atheist bible

go out and pick up a couple of these books, grab a highlighter, and dig in.

i would also suggest ripping off a bible from a hotel the next time you travel.  it wouldnt hurt to know a little scripture.  it'll give you a little more ammunition to fight with.

oh yeah... "GODLESS AND FREE" by pat condell.  great book. brilliant and funny as hell! 

"The rules of logic dictate that the burden of proof falls upon the affirmative position: that god DOES exist. Atheists have no obligation to prove or disprove anything."

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the

Welcome to the forum.

Eh...what exactly are you looking for?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I may add to your reading

If I may add to your reading research list.

Books

God, The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger

The New Atheist also by Victor Stenger

Infidel By Ayaan Hersi Ali

1984, George Orwell

Animal Farm, George Orwell

Terms or arguments you should know if you haven't already looked them up.

1. The Fallacy of Pascal's Wager

2. Bentrand Russell's "Teapot"

3. Ochkam's Razor

4. Law of probability

And a little advise from me personally.

Something can look pretty and ornate and have tons of work put into it. But, the quickest way to see if what someone is selling you is true, is to ask them if you can take their material and have it independently tested and verified.

If they claim popularity or tradition, that is bunk. If they claim " you just cant see it" that is also bunk.

The reason computers and medicine and math is universal, is not because of a god or superstition, but because of human questioning.

If someone is afraid or offended by your questioning it is a sure sign that they have nothing to sell.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

neutrino
atheist
neutrino's picture
User is offlineOffline
re:You want tools? Hanity is a

I don´t think that I really understand the fun part and it might be becouse i´m from Sweden.

I´m guessing that the people that u named are highly religious and that u´r using them as  ``evidence´´ for their dumbness of their religion. 

I don´t see them as tools to convince people with the same faith as they have to become nonbelievers, the people u named is just stupid opponents that makes me stronger in my oppinion.

In tools I mean basic knowledge to convince or guide people to think for them selves and seek the right answer instead of giving God all  the credit.

About the books: I´m a big fan of Richard Dawkins and read A God delusion, and The greatest show on earth.

I´m also watching lots and lots of debates of the four horsemen; Christopher Hitchens , Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett and Richard Dawkins.

But I think it´s equally important to study the ``opponent´´, any suggestions?

I´m greatful for all the respons!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you keep posting on this

If you keep posting on this forum, you should be able to acquire some pretty good tools then.

Ask questions. Debate. Be objective and skeptical. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's always the ultimate

There's always the ultimate atheist tool to spread the good news of atheism. St. George Carlin, religion is bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o&playnext=1&list=PL32632A2A1A3B4F15

God is all powerful, all seeing, all knowing, all perfect, all wise, but somehow he still needs your money.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Defeat Christians

Welcome. Defeat Christians by simply studying their bible and using it to show its contradictions and non-historical character.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome to the forum.

welcome to the forum.  Tool is also a derogatory term, as in "This think he's so cool with that haircut, he's a freaking tool".  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

BethK
atheist
BethK's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's not really a way to

There's not really a way to "spread the word" of atheism. We don't have all the neat stuff to sell - we don't have fancy ornate buildings, youth groups, singles groups, offer a musical concert and sing-along, a place to go on Sunday morning and play "dress-up" while we talk about our invisible friend. We don't offer eternal life or eternal happiness. We don't offer "feel good" mystical experiences, of yours or anyone else's, for you to say "WOW!" from  hearing them. We don't offer an invisible friend to whom you can give all of your troubles, rely upon, and ask for anything and everything. We won't show you some parlor trick miracles. We do offer some of the scientific theories, which may be even stranger when you get into some aspects of astronomy and quantum physics. All we can offer is intelectual honesty, facts as observed or known, scientific method, and logic and rationality.

A problem when trying to explain our point of view to a "true believer" is that what they are offering us is preaching - not a discussion. If we have to worry about "offending" them with our non-beliefs or our disbelief in their religious viewpoints, it's not a discussion. Knowing their Bible better than they do, and knowing its history, they find offensive. "I know what I know", or "Jesus changed all of that" or "put your faith in Jesus" are just conversation stoppers. It's no longer a discussion when they pull any of those.

I don't suggest stealing a Bible from a hotel room. You could probably buy one from a used book store. Another place you could look is skepticsannotatedbible.com   Another place you can get Bibles (or other books) which are in the public domain free for download is www.gutenberg.org   For Bibles and related works, look at www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/

One thing that I usually find astounding is how little most Christians have actually read of their Bible. They are practicing a form of idolatry with the Bible itself as the object of worship. Read almost anything in the Old Testament, and you'll probably agree with Thomas Paine, that these seem to be more the words of a demon than they are of an all good, loving, almighty god. If Christians try to refute these atrocities with "that doesn't apply anymore since Jesus saved us", remind them of Matthew 5:18-19. " For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."  Then read any of the ludicrous, outrageous, immoral, harmful things in the Old Testament. You can get a lot of ideas from www.evilbible.com

Beth

How's my proselytizing? Call 1-800-FANATIC

Beth

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: welcome to the

Ktulu wrote:

welcome to the forum.  Tool is also a derogatory term, as in "This think he's so cool with that haircut, he's a freaking tool".  

Tool is also a good band....

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to th forum

Welcome to th forum

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You want

Brian37 wrote:

You want tools?

Hanity is a tool, O'Reily is a tool and Glen Beck is a tool. Hell, Fox News is one giant Swiss Army tool.

Oh wait, you were looking for tools, not tools........never mind.

You found the right place. We are tools here, in a good way.

I'm so upset you would say such terrible things!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)