BYU basket ball player booted for archaic "honor code" violation.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BYU basket ball player booted for archaic "honor code" violation.

All over the news. A BYU student and basket ball player was booted off the team for violating the archaic "honor code" violation for admitting having pre-marital sex.

I wonder how this player would feel about his college's heritage if he knew the barbaric history of it's founder.

I am so sick of religious people pretending to be the inventors of morality.

There are non superstitious reasons one should want to "keep it in their pants". You could pick up a disease. You could end up with an unwanted kid that would cause you to quit your education. THOSE are lagit reasons to refrain from sex.

Among BYU's other bullshit rules, no drinking, no smoking AND NO CAFFEINE.

AGAIN, it is one thing to say, "Binge drinking is dangerous, and peer pressure should not lead you to do stupid things"

"Smoking is bad for you".

But basing this on a God you cant prove exists, that and the fact that others outside your religion ALL OVER THE WORLD, have come to the same conclusions without your god, should say to you that these rules no matter how well intended, DO NOT DEPEND ON BELIEVING IN YOUR GOD!

Having said that, people who attend this school know the rules and as such the school had every right to kick him off the team.

But don't pretend that morality is something that has been invented by a specific label.

I wonder how many Mormons know how vile the founders of their religion were. It was started by a con-man and its descendants committed acts of genocide on Native Americans and threw their own under the bus in the cover up.

Considering that College's founder and the Mormon history, and it's continued misogyny and sexism, they have a lot of nerve preaching to this player.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Christianity doesn't like

Christianity doesn't like human beings being human.

Sapient and Ray Comfort had a similar conversation (I think it was recorded) when Ray was going through his "Have you ever told a lie?" spiel.

It went something like this:

Ray: Have you ever looked at a woman with lust in your heart?

Brian S: Yes. Many times.

Ray: ...because you have red blood in your veins.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm guessing Jesus had blue

Then I'm guessing Jesus had blue blood cells.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not fer nuthin'....It's

Not fer nuthin'....

It's their school, and their rules... are they assholes?... Sure they are.... But this stupid kid could have gone to school somewhere else... It's like when the Chimp ripped that broads face off... thats just what they do, and we shouldn't act suprised when they do it....

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 'honor code' make

The 'honor code' make perfect sense to me. If the religion requires a 10% cut, they certainly don't want competition from any other vices besides religion.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Not fer

Rich Woods wrote:

Not fer nuthin'....

It's their school, and their rules... are they assholes?... Sure they are.... But this stupid kid could have gone to school somewhere else... It's like when the Chimp ripped that broads face off... thats just what they do, and we shouldn't act suprised when they do it....

I already mentioned this. No, I am not surprised either. But, if BYU sells it's utopia like Liberty does, their basketball player would be least they should worry about.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Rich Woods

Brian37 wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

Not fer nuthin'....

I already mentioned this. No, I am not surprised either. But, if BYU sells it's utopia like Liberty does, their basketball player would be least they should worry about.

My question is how many basketball (or any other sport) would BYU have left if all the people who have had premarital sex confessed?

I'm guessing not many.  Some - but not a lot.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.