I'm new and looking for like minds.

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm new and looking for like minds.

I am so glad to find this site. I live in Lynchburg, Virginia, and no matter how hard I look, I seem to be surrounded by "Jerry's Kids".  By "Jerry's Kids", I mean that I live 10 minutes from Liberty University. I hope that there are a few of you that can know and understand what it's like living where I do and trying to find a few free minds not tainted by Southern Baptist Theology.  In my younger years I was more inclined to argue until my nose started to bleed with any religious man or woman who felt the need to "save me". Now, I am a bit older, not as militant, but find it hard to stand firm when I stand alone in this bible belt town.  I am a huge fan of Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Thomas Jefferson, Friederick Nietzsche....etc.   I hope that finding this site will be the stepping stone to becoming more of an Athiest Activist in a town that has forgotton what the word "rational" even means anymore.  I am a huge fan of logic, and have a knack for finding loopholes, discrepancies, and contradictions in all forms of religious belief.  In college, I studied religion intensely so I could have a better understanding of just how to take any believer and make them choke on their ignorance of the religion of their choice. Nothing, nothing makes me more sad than to see a child holding hands with a parent leading them into church.

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believes to noisy and pushy: He guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche.

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a nasty image

mrOriginal wrote:

Nothing, nothing makes me more sad than to see a child holding hands with a parent leading them into church.

this one. And a very good point.

Welcome Mr Original. Look forward to seeing you around the place.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrOriginal wrote:I am so

mrOriginal wrote:

I am so glad to find this site. I live in Lynchburg, Virginia, and no matter how hard I look, I seem to be surrounded by "Jerry's Kids".  By "Jerry's Kids", I mean that I live 10 minutes from Liberty University. I hope that there are a few of you that can know and understand what it's like living where I do and trying to find a few free minds not tainted by Southern Baptist Theology.  In my younger years I was more inclined to argue until my nose started to bleed with any religious man or woman who felt the need to "save me". Now, I am a bit older, not as militant, but find it hard to stand firm when I stand alone in this bible belt town.  I am a huge fan of Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Thomas Jefferson, Friederick Nietzsche....etc.   I hope that finding this site will be the stepping stone to becoming more of an Athiest Activist in a town that has forgotton what the word "rational" even means anymore.  I am a huge fan of logic, and have a knack for finding loopholes, discrepancies, and contradictions in all forms of religious belief.  In college, I studied religion intensely so I could have a better understanding of just how to take any believer and make them choke on their ignorance of the religion of their choice. Nothing, nothing makes me more sad than to see a child holding hands with a parent leading them into church.

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believes to noisy and pushy: He guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche.

Used to live in that town. It isn't as bad as you think. I used to work at a pizza place and many of his students work there for extra cash. I can't tell you how many told me they just go there for the cheap education, and hate the rules and break the rules all the time. I once went to a off campus party where their atheletes showed up. They "behaved" themselves.

And you also have a friend in the local newspaper News and Advance, Jerry's family cant stand that paper because that is the one local media his family managed to piss off and coudn't buy off.

And the other three colleges in the area cant stand his family. Even the religious folk outside his church and college cant stand his family.

If you are looking for other local atheists the Unitarian Church downtown probably has some atheists attending it.

I don't know how much power that family has now that Jerry is gone, but I do know what a pain in the ass he has been for that city. I lived there for 10 years. The News and Advance WILL print the opinions of atheists, Just keep it polite and clean.

And you mentioned being a fan of Jefferson. Me too. Jerry wouldn't have voted for Jefferson if he had been alive today.

Welcome.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! 

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.

Welcome.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
welcome to the forum

welcome to the forum

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome aboard, glad you

Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
G'day, and Welcome, from the

G'day, and Welcome, from the other side of the world....

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.I'm sure you'll be

Welcome.

I'm sure you'll be relieved when you peruse around here. There's a number of former theists, which ought to give you some sense of hope.

Some of them, it seems, were hard core theists, and they managed to understand that a god, just doesn't wash.

As cool as it is to come across people who were always atheists, it's amazing, and uplifting to see the former theists. I'm not happy for me, but for them.

I'm happy that they're finally free from that.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris